WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Trying to help a friend stranded with a trailer, bearing failure in boron California

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
Tires are a big thing, they need to be replaced at most every 5 years regardless of miles, and proper inflation is always key. Always check the pressures before you go. Grease bearings before you go. Better to take a few minutes at home to cover the basics than be stuck on the side of the road for hours.

I remember when I was in my 20's, I would tow my jet boat back and fourth to the river all the time. I would never really check the tires that much, if they held air then I was good to go. And that goes for my old blazer too.. I had so many blow outs on the 10 and 40 from old tires. Then I'd get to Laughlin and spend my time putting brakes on my Blazer in the parking lot of an auto parts store in 115 degree temps, lol.. I really made poor decisions with trailers and maintenance when I was younger. But when you're young and can barely afford new tires you try your best to make it on what you have. Now that I'm (a little) wiser I'll make sure a trailer is properly maintained and ready for a trip across the desert. My rule of thumb trailer tires need to be changed every four years for a tandem trailer. I guess that means Schiada's can go six years on a set of tires.

Last edited:

2Driver

Reaction score
Havent read every post but…

Feel the races. if they are messed up, which is a decent probability, then your new bearings and seals wont make it too far…. maybe get you to the river but I wouldnt trust the ride home

just my o2

4Waters

Reaction score
Havent read every post but…

Feel the races. if they are messed up, which is a decent probability, then your new bearings and seals wont make it too far…. maybe get you to the river but I wouldnt trust the ride home

just my o2
Sounds like he is on his way home to Sac area, if he keeps it around 50 and checks it often he should make it home

Icky

Reaction score
I feel like a trailer place would be a shorter drive than driving back to Sacramento. Arrow trailer in in Ontario.
Sounds like he is on his way home to Sac area, if he keeps it around 50 and checks it often he should make it home

Your ad here

Reaction score
Torsion axle or leaf? If torsion it's an easy fix if you have a spare spindle assembly.

77charger

Reaction score
Bearings don't just "go out"...

They go bad due to lack of maintenance.

Most everyone knows to change the oil and impeller on their boat, but they all forget trailers NEED maintenance too.

Check and repack the wheel bearings and replace the seals...

Replace the brake fluid...

Check all the lights and wiring...

Or don't.

Odds are if the bearing and hub are wiped out, the spindle is wiped out too.

Strap that that shit up and drive it for now.

When was the last time YOU (as in everyone reading this) serviced your trailer??

🤔
I grease bearings everytime I get back from the water.it helps push any water out that’s in there.

Once a year I take 5 minutes lift up wheels and spin tires if it rumbles I change bearings. Never had bearing or hub failure but am amazed by most that think trailers only need A few shots of grease once a year.

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
Bearings don't just "go out"...

They go bad due to lack of maintenance.

Most everyone knows to change the oil and impeller on their boat, but they all forget trailers NEED maintenance too.

Check and repack the wheel bearings and replace the seals...

Replace the brake fluid...

Check all the lights and wiring...

Or don't.

Odds are if the bearing and hub are wiped out, the spindle is wiped out too.

Strap that that shit up and drive it for now.

When was the last time YOU (as in everyone reading this) serviced your trailer??

🤔
Trailer is 18 years old , NEVER serviced trailer hubs , and that is towing across desert many times . Check level and sealed fill hole when new and that’s it . Hubs are oil bath .

azsunfun

Reaction score
thanks for all the replys,as we speak James is having bearings and seals delivered and hopes to be on road shortly
So I could have had you on the road by 11:30, and now I'm in sacramento.🤷‍♂️

Sherpa

Reaction score
if that pic of the hub/wheel is the guy broke down, I'm not surprised. that setup looks like shit. never maintained. his number just came up.

I do a full repack with new seals about every 3 years, and we hardly tow over 500 miles a year now. bearings AND races if you do those.
I bring a grease gun when traveling far, and camping for the hubs. never saw a hub ever crack before.

--hope he makes it home.
and learns a lesson about maintaining his stuff

4Waters

Reaction score
if that pic of the hub/wheel is the guy broke down, I'm not surprised. that setup looks like shit. never maintained. his number just came up.

I do a full repack with new seals about every 3 years, and we hardly tow over 500 miles a year now. bearings AND races if you do those.
I bring a grease gun when traveling far, and camping for the hubs. never saw a hub ever crack before.

--hope he makes it home.
and learns a lesson about maintaining his stuff
That wasn't the OP's buddy

Lumpy

Reaction score
I got a 1995 Hallett 270 sitting on a Hoss double axle. I run 3-5k miles a year. I do a full break down every other year no matter what and pop the B Buddies off every year to check the status. If I see even a hint of an anomaly its a full break down/inspection and replacement of bearings, races, seal. Hell I got an entire tool box strictly dedicated to two hub rebuilds including two spare tires on rims ready to go at all times. Not waiting to fuck around and find out...more like ready to go nascar on that shit and keep rolling within 5 minutes tops.

johnnyC

Reaction score
a little late to the party but.... for future use when the parts guys at auto zone or others give you a deer in the headlights or a blank stare when you are trying to get trailer bearings....

Attachments

• Image.jpeg
    Image.jpeg
    857.1 KB · Views: 53