WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Trying to locate a Tap: -8AN (3/4-16 UNJ)

D19

Reaction score
For future reference. The "j" signifies a root radius (bottom of the thread on a bolt) There is no such thing as a "J" tap. But it is still fun to send a buyer on a hunt every now and then.

Thanks. That J threw me off. I never heard of that before. I started looking at all my charts and was dumbfounded. My box of hose ends is at the river or else I could have just played a game of stick it in the hole and figured it out.

traquer

Reaction score
I follow some machine tooling companies on Instagram. I had a similar issue once and just gave them a call and they seemed happy to talk to someone that wanted to learn and told me where to buy it if I only needed one lol

ltbaney1

Reaction score
For future reference. The "j" signifies a root radius (bottom of the thread on a bolt) There is no such thing as a "J" tap. But it is still fun to send a buyer on a hunt every now and then.
Correct. I have 1 customer that states his "J" taps must have the "J" marking on the shank. i have a tap supplier who gladly adds a couple extra bucks to pull from production and custom mark them. says he actually does it a fair amount for guys where it HAS to marked.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
If you need it down here in Fort Mohave, i have one in my drawer you can borrow.

Reactions: D19

wzuber

Reaction score
Interesting thread....pun intended. What r u tapping if ya don't mind sharing?

OLDRAAT

inadequate member
Reaction score
Rolled/formed radius for strength and fracture prevention. Mostly for high stress apps. Does not impact the size or TPI callouts.

Loved it when customer source inspectors would asked why I didn't have a "J" gage. 😁
I would just check them on an optical comparator with overlay mylars to make them happy.

Last edited:

D19

Reaction score
Interesting thread....pun intended. What r u tapping if ya don't mind sharing?

Making new transom plates. Want them about 1.5” taller and going from 3/16 to 3/8 so they will be more flush with rub rail (which will have to be cut) and I can countersink all the bolts rather than use button heads. The bulkhead fittings currently run through the current plates, getting the nuts on and off is a pain so I’m going to simplify the program. I’ll post pictures next week

wzuber

Reaction score
Making new transom plates. Want them about 1.5” taller and going from 3/16 to 3/8 so they will be more flush with rub rail (which will have to be cut) and I can countersink all the bolts rather than use button heads. The bulkhead fittings currently run through the current plates, getting the nuts on and off is a pain so I’m going to simplify the program. I’ll post pictures next week

Nice, sounds like a solid plan. I look forward to c'g the results.

Dana757

Reaction score
If you’re sealing with an o ring a -8 porting tool is nice to use.

D19

Reaction score
If you’re sealing with an o ring a -8 porting tool is nice to use.

I thought of doing that but didn't know if I'd have enough material to work with. Where can I pick up those porting tools?