WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Trying to talk wife into moving to Havasu, any suggestions?

Magic2K10

Reaction score
Trying to talk wife into moving to Havasu, building a vacation home there now, but she says would never move there, I'm sure many of you have have this problem. Have 5 years to retirement, please if you have any suggestions.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Time... I grew up coming to Havasu and it’s a big part of who I am. My wife had never been there but her mom had back in the day... she loves the river now.. took her a hot minute but she’s brought up moving full time if we could swing it..you’re older than us, but it’s a place you either love or hate. We enjoy the “bubble” as we call it.

There’s pluses and minuses. There really isn’t a place I’m happier than the river...and she sees that...plus the boat is there..as is my mom aka babysitter 🤣😳😂

DWC

Reaction score
Couple years ago we were in the same position. Wife agreed to humor me and get a Havasu pad. After the first year there she was sold. We’ve made some great friends on RDP. Have a great time on the boat, sxs and bikes. She looks forward to weekends there as much as i do.
I still have 7-8 yrs before i call it but the plan is to full time there and search for cooler weather in July/August.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Yeah I've considered Havasu and Bullhead for my retirement options. I know its damn hot in the summer but just try to go from A/C to A/C to river/lake if you can and its doable. The more time I spend out there the more I get used to it. I just gotta boat to keep my happy place, and I think that's something the SO will see.

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
Tell her it’s only brutally hot 3 months out of the year .

Gonefishin5555

Reaction score
Tell her its a dry heat. Give her the option of Florida instead and take her there later this month.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Trying to talk wife into moving to Havasu, building a vacation home there now, but she says would never move there, I'm sure many of you have have this problem. Have 5 years to retirement, please if you have any suggestions.
If you have 5 years I would wait. Havasu has changed the last 5 years. Not sure what it will be like in the next 5 years. :oops:

2Driver

Reaction score
Let her make the vacation home her project and pride, furnishing decor landscape ideas, make every trip there super fun. Have friends visit you and let them say how awesome it is there and shitty back in CA

This is a slow drip process, think aircraft carrier and canoe paddle.

Lastly keep her out of Havasu and Parker Walmart :)

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Where will you be moving from?

just_floatin

Reaction score
Wife and I moved to Havasu three years ago for a two month test drive. While we enjoyed staying in our property and being on the water all the time, we missed the big city convenience like quality health care that won’t break the bank.

The decision to move back to the Phoenix home was made shortly after my $80k overnight stay in LHC hospital for dehydration. The hospital did every test available on each floor and found nothing. Thank goodness. I told them I just needed an IV. Man did I ever learn the hard way. Should have went with my gut.

Long story short, it took my insurance carrier two years to get the bill paid in full. If Havasu had better health care and more providers in my network, we might reconsider moving back. But after that experience, we opted to be 30 minutes from Phoenix hospitals versus four hours. Just something to consider if you move there full time.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Wife and I moved to Havasu three years ago for a two month test drive. While we enjoyed staying in our property and being on the water all the time, we missed the big city convenience like quality health care that won’t break the bank.

The decision to move back to the Phoenix home was made shortly after my $80k overnight stay in LHC hospital for dehydration. The hospital did every test available on each floor and found nothing. Thank goodness. I told them I just needed an IV. Man did I ever learn the hard way. Should have went with my gut.

Long story short, it took my insurance carrier two years to get the bill paid in full. If Havasu had better health care and more providers in my network, we might reconsider moving back. But after that experience, we opted to be 30 minutes from Phoenix hospitals versus four hours. Just something to consider if you move there full time.

Texas healthcare is eyeopening... Its actually appalling in terms of expense and coverage... Health insurance sucks donkey kong dick here and is 2x as expensive as we paid for far better coverage in HI....much of the reason we are out of here within a year. A lot of people neglect to consider that...It's definitely a factor in our next move.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score

This is the reason I wouldn't retire out there. It seems like I've seen multiple threads on how horrible the hospital is.

530RL

Reaction score
I enlisted River Dave to talk my wife into a house in Parker.

I still don’t have a house in Parker. 🤷🤷🤷

It’s a tough sell even with Dave making the pitch.

Good luck. 👍

Last edited:

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Great place to enjoy and get away. The people of the town are just amazingly friendly. I enjoy every day that I am here.

FishSniper

Reaction score

This post and the thread about Roy are troublesome.

Rondog4405

Reaction score
Been trying for years to talk the with into gtfo of California and full time in Parker of havasu.. as long as her parents are amongst the living that shit is NOT happening. 😬🤣

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
This is the reason I wouldn't retire out there. It seems like I've seen multiple threads on how horrible the hospital is.
We and several friends have not had any problems here in Havasu with the hospital. If it's not good enough Kingman is less than an hour away and from what I've experienced in their wound care clinic it was way above good!!!

bk2drvr

Reaction score
I still think having two homes is the answer to this question if its in your budget and DNA. As you get older the heat will bother you so have a second place to escape to during the hot months of the year if want/need to. Also spending time in both locations allows you to sort of live two lives throughout the year with friends (maybe family) in both locations, different climates and the joy of looking forward to going to both during the year. When you are retired you can decide when you want to go on your schedule. I know a few people in my river neighborhood that go back and forth between Mohave Valley and upstate NY and Mohave Valley and Grand Junction Colorado. Both have been doing it for over 15 years now and it works great for them. I truly believe this is the answer and is my plan in retirement. Good luck.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Havasu hospital has always gotten a bad rap, what do you expect when the majority of clientele is near dead’s.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I enlisted River Dave to talk my wife into a house in Parker.

I still don’t have a house in Parker. 🤷🤷🤷

It’s a tough sell even with Dave making the pitch.

Good luck. 👍

lol. I don’t recall taking a boat down there and doing a full tour / weekend.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

I had a 5k bill for same thing when it was just dehydration after Desert Storm. We now have Destination Hydration here in Havasu thst can give you IV and hang over cures etc.. it’s a little over a 100.00 bucks and awesome.

Water Romper

Reaction score
I think one of the deciding factors is where are you living now...if your in toilet Compton, then Havi full time is a better option. Asking a wife/GF to leave their family/friends/job/comfort zone is a tuff sell. Build the vacation home, use it regularly, have her meet new friends and once she knows she has a "life" in Havi- your all set.

Reactions: DWC

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
as others have said,... depends on the ties to your current residence, for me... my 2 youngest sons live in vegas, and now 2 new grand baby's...( my wifes first 2, that and her aging mom,.. I have a 1/2 acre property in vegas, big detached garage, plenty of parking and a pool,... we get together often, BB/Q's and lake trips to mead,.. and we all go to the dunes together....my sons both live within a mile from our home,.. where we live it's horse property, 1/2 acre min. so pretyy much the rural area in the north west... I've lived in vegas off and on since 1957... every time i've moved it's cost me a ton to move back,... so vegas is home for me,... havasu is just another place to go... it would be nice if if was a more 4 seasons place... goes from brutal hot to freezing.... havasu is busting at the seams now,... infrastructure is years behind and will only get worse... for me , nice place to visit...

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
We and several friends have not had any problems here in Havasu with the hospital. If it's not good enough Kingman is less than an hour away and from what I've experienced in their wound care clinic it was way above good!!!

Was talking about this very thing with the wife yesterday. As we get closer to being here full time I think that we are going to be finding doctors outside Havasu. We are thinking Phoenix or Vegas. This will allow us to have access outside of Havasu at any time if there is an emergency. I guess that is one of the good things about us moving from Hawaii at some point. THe plan is if anything goes sideways we road trip it to the doctor outside of Havasu. Heck we kind of do it already at Phoenix and UCSF for the wife’s medical needs because Hawaii can’t help her. 👍

just_floatin

Reaction score
I had a 5k bill for same thing when it was just dehydration after Desert Storm. We now have Destination Hydration here in Havasu thst can give you IV and hang over cures etc.. it’s a little over a 100.00 bucks and awesome.
Yeah the bush league doctors stated I may have suffered heat stroke and they needed to run more test like a brain scan, MRI, bloodwork and keep me overnight for observation. I recall the hospital being empty that day and it appeared I was their only patient in recovery. There I was, laying there like a sucker that got scammed with the most expensive physical in the history of medicine.

To this day, I swear the doctors made a commission and ran up my bill with their “scare” tactics. At the end of the 24 hour ordeal I was diagnosed with dehydration (from working outside three straight summer afternoons no doubt) and instructed to drink more water. WTF. LHC Regional exist to save lives at ALL your co$t.

DLC

Reaction score
Don’t rush it or push it to hard!

build your new place, head out for 2 weeks at a time, she will come around and slowly make it a 3-4 week stay….
it’s a huge Transition!
during summer plan a few trips to cooler locations get an RV / travel / take a cruise etc

living staying out there is a simple lifestyle! It’s a lot slower way more relaxed. Just driving around town is a non stress we stay off the 95 and take surface streets.

when my wife and I are out there, we connect better with each other, we watch sunsets, go for walks / walk the dogs, go a for a simple drive around the island….
We spend quality time together as opposed to “home” we get pulled into different direction.

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
20 years ago we couldn't drive fast enough to get out of northern illinois to havasu.
Loved the small town atmosphere and power boating lake.
Raised our girls here and made a lot of friends
Today? I wouldn't move here full time. Go on the lake on a weekend and it can be a challenge just like driving through town.
We got spoiled in the early years.
We bought a home in Williams and enjoy the cooler temps now. A few more years Williams will be full time and Havasu part time.
But everyone is different and we've enjoyed the 20 years here.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
If your wife shrieks when you show her a picture of the Ca Governor your chances are much better. If she smiles at the picture you'll have a nice vacation home in Az.😊🍸

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score

Dont force it!!!!

Maybe you're wiser and older than me, but, its seeming to backfire for me moving to Havasu

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
If you have to talk your wife into it you've already lost the battle, lol.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Leave the wife in CA and setup a mistress home in Havasu. Problem solved. You dont have to drag her out there, and no way the mistress wants to go into CA.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
I still think having two homes is the answer to this question if its in your budget and DNA

This...same thing my mom does, as do my in-laws. Cool part for us is we have several "vacation homes" at our disposal bc of it. If you can afford it it prevents you from burning out.

Magic2K10

Reaction score
Thanks for all your replies, from take it slow , she will adapt to get a Havasu mistress, looks like home will be at both locations for awhile and see what happens from there, I'm sure when home is finished she might have a different outlook on the situation. We rent arbnbs now and it gets pretty expensive and just not the same as having your own place, well wish me luck and be hanging out in Havasu and Riverside for a few more years.

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
With mine I have learned to just put the idea out there and just let it grow on her. Usually, she will bring it up on her own. She just needs to process it in her head first.

Mike K

Reaction score
Tried too.
Her argument was “nice beautiful house on your left and a crack house on your right.” …even if you choose a nice area … there are so many blighted areas that you have to drive through. On my vacation home street there are several homes that are filled with stuff that should be hauled to the dump … if people would just clean up their properties it would really help. Love the town … but it’s still a little rough around the edges.

AZmike

Eastsider
Reaction score
I have the same problem minus the retirement date! If you figure it out let me know.