WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Tsa approved handgun cases.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
So i am in the market for a new one. I have a pelican vualt now. Its just seen better days and it is a bit too small for the 3 hand guns i fly with every week.

I need one that can hold 1 snubby a full size 1911 and a commander lenght. 4 mags 1 speed loader and avout 50 round of ammo total. Any recomendations?

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
A speed loader for 50rds? Interesting... why not just load the 4 mags before leaving? Or an additional 50 rds? That’s not much for shooting.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
A speed loader for 50rds? Interesting... why not just load the 4 mags before leaving? Or an additional 50 rds? That’s not much for shooting.
Its not for shooting, strickly carry guns. I need 18 45 acp 18 10 mm and 12 38 spl.

Per federal regs you can not have a loaded mag inserted into the gun, but since tsa does not know the rules easier not to go there ( 49 cfr 1540.5 if you are wondering) more than once i have made them look up the law...

Every day i do not have to wear a suit the full size is on my hip, the commander length is for when i do wear a jacket. That way i dont print with a shoulder holster. The 38 colt cobra is my back up.

BONER

Reaction score
Are you Law Enforcement?

Yellowboat

Reaction score
Are you Law Enforcement?
No. I just fly for work and dont want to leave guns at the apartment i stay at during the week. i can lawfully carry in both states.

My current case is a it small and it has taken a beating.

BONER

Reaction score
Makes sense. I like your Style. Lol

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Its not for shooting, strickly carry guns. I need 18 45 acp 18 10 mm and 12 38 spl.

Per federal regs you can not have a loaded mag inserted into the gun, but since tsa does not know the rules easier not to go there ( 49 cfr 1540.5 if you are wondering) more than once i have made them look up the law...

Every day i do not have to wear a suit the full size is on my hip, the commander length is for when i do wear a jacket. That way i dont print with a shoulder holster. The 38 colt cobra is my back up.
I'm assuming you are wearing suits with tucked in shirts. Shoulder holster is a good option and I'd be real surprised if someone actually noticed the "print". Apex is probably the best option for a true conceal, unless you have a huge gut that would get in the way.

As far as cases go, I'd stick with a new version of what you already have. Don't fix it if it aint broke.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
It is noticeable, just would take a trained eye to see it. I am tall and skinny, so that 3/4" less barrel makes all the difference.

EBT531

Reaction score
Whatever case you use, don't spend so much you're upset if they destroy it. I've only had it happen once, but TSA forced my box open to inspect and they don't give any $$ for the item destroyed.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Have you considered a smaller case, and leaving the ammo in your TX location?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yellowboat

Reaction score
Whatever case you use, don't spend so much you're upset if they destroy it. I've only had it happen once, but TSA forced my box open to inspect and they don't give any $$ for the item destroyed.

that's actually a federal crime if they have to force open your box with a declared firearm. you can not even used a tsa approved lock. you have to be the solo person with the key.

the mags and ammo are not the really issue, its the 3 guns. the size I have no is really too small, the next size up is way too big.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score

Yellowboat

Reaction score

EBT531

Reaction score
I kno2 thats why i wont have loaded mags. They are 100% legal as long as they are not in the gun. The diffrence is them cutting that lock off is infact a crime and one i would happliy sick the atf on them for.
I don't doubt you are correct, most people probably just don't have the time or want to push the issue so they keep doing it.

satellitemike

Reaction score
I found some nice pelican knock off cases at Sam's club, good quality at about 25% the price!
So this had me wondering where would I be able to find complete info on flying w firearms?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
I found some nice pelican knock off cases at Sam's club, good quality at about 25% the price!
So this had me wondering where would I be able to find complete info on flying w firearms?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Just Google it, lots of information out there.

Here's what TSA says: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting-firearms-and-ammunition

A good blog post: https://www.pewpewtactical.com/flying-with-firearms/

The basics are the guns have to be unloaded. You have to declare them to the airline and check them as baggage. The case has to be locked and you keep the key.

Check local laws where you are going on possessing and transporting firearms once you are on the ground.

Last edited:

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
Just Google it, lots of information out there.

Here's what TSA says: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting-firearms-and-ammunition

A good blog post: https://www.pewpewtactical.com/flying-with-firearms/

The basics are the guns have to be unloaded. You have to declare them to the airline and check them as baggage. The case has to be locked and you keep the key.

Check local laws where you are going on possessing and transporting firearms once you are in the ground.
"In" the ground!!!!!!:eek::D

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
As a storage container at home? I'm not sure. I only use it for transport to/from the range and for flying.
For transport? I like them just dont know if doj approved

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LHC30

Old Guy
Reaction score
while loaded mags must be out of the pistol/rifle for the weapon to be considered "unloaded" per regular rules, when flying, TSA mandates ammo must be in either the original boxes or similar containers to keep the ammo from inadvertently detonating.. Magazines don't cut it. (at least it didn't last time I checked)

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
while loaded mags must be out of the pistol/rifle for the weapon to be considered "unloaded" per regular rules, when flying, TSA mandates ammo must be in either the original boxes or similar containers to keep the ammo from inadvertently detonating.. Magazines don't cut it. (at least it didn't last time I checked)
This is correct. I store mine in the plastic containers that hold 100 rounds each. Very convenient.