WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Tuff 28 with single 450R

WavetoWave

Reaction score
The latest custom from Tuff Marine in Canada. This 28 has a single 450R, ran 106 MPH first time out, should push 110 MPH. This thing is unbelievable.

Article:

https://www.wavetowave.com/home/202...tch-with-mercury-racing-supercharged-outboard

Tuff28 sideIMG_3891.jpg

clarence

Reaction score
Additionally, Thomas has a brand new 20’ designed and getting ready for production soon. This new from the ground up 20’ model is focused on the 150 Hp to 200 HP range.

I might end up with this.

clarence

Reaction score
In May, Mark replied to my email asking about the 20-footer:

Our schedule is 3yrs out right now, so we won’t have much time for the T20 project. We will be starting on the cad drawing this summer.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
That’s some serious engineering to get a 28 v bottom boat to 106 miles an hour with a single outboard, very impressive

poncho

Reaction score
I had my first experience with this new generation of outboards recently, good friend just repowered his 21ft. Cougar with the 300R and he's getting 115MPH from it. This is not a stripped down boat, Cougars are built tough and it's full interior, stereo etc.
Pretty amazing powerplant, here's a pic to show this is not a little boat.
FB_IMG_1627666063787[1].jpg

Last edited:

Ragged Edge

Man in the Box
Reaction score
Are you running it in F2 waterski racing? How does it compare to the other boats in the class?

I am running it in waterski racing, however it does not qualify as an F2 boat because it has the DBR Stage 1 tune in it due to a 300xs powerhead in a 300x alien cowling. More air equals the need for more fuel. As far as how it compares to other outboards, not sure yet. We just started racing it and my skier is only going 50 to 60 mph at the moment. He says it leaves really good water to ski on even though I do not have a ballast tank in it, yet. Might be a future add on.

Duramax

Reaction score
I had my first experience with this new generation of outboards recently, good friend just repowered his 21ft. Cougar with the 300R and he's getting 115MPH from it. This is not a stripped down boat, Cougars are built tough and it's full interior, stereo etc.
Pretty amazing powerplant, here's a pic to show this is not a little boat. View attachment 1031663
Such a bad ass 21 Cougar!!

Ragged Edge

Man in the Box
Reaction score
Nice boat....how does it handle chop.....Love the Tuff's but everyone is always saying....they never see the canadians running them in chop...

It is a very good rough water hull, very predictable, I will be adding tabs soon which will make go thru the chop even better. The people saying they never see the Canatards running them in chop don't realize this is a splash of the old Challenger hull with a few modifications and modern construction technologies. Challengers won quite a few offshore races with APBA in the SOB class back in the day.

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
It is a very good rough water hull, very predictable, I will be adding tabs soon which will make go thru the chop even better. The people saying they never see the Canatards running them in chop don't realize this is a splash of the old Challenger hull with a few modifications and modern construction technologies. Challengers won quite a few offshore races with APBA in the SOB class back in the day.

Never realized it was a Challenger splash. Thanks for learning me sumthin

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
Pretty amazing powerplant, here's a pic to show this is not a little boat. View attachment 1031663

Where is this cool spot ?

poncho

Reaction score
Where is this cool spot ?
Maine, 5 generation camp that belongs to my friend Kevin Crowley. I'm pretty OCD, can't sit still etc....his camp is a magical place that tones all that down.

Ragged Edge

Man in the Box
Reaction score
Its not a splash. There are many significant differences in the design

I spoke with Mark numerous times when I purchased my boat. He told me that he copied the Challenger hull then made some changes. This to me is a "splash", which is not a negative on Mark or Tuff Marine. I have read that the first Tuff 21 out of the mold was much closer to the old Challenger than my hull, so Mark evolved his design over time.

Cheers.

Toffen Gunnufsen

Reaction score
Hi,

These boats are just awesome. You can have a ballast tank installed and this will secure the offshore racin'.

The only downside for me is the huge setback. Its just a matter of taste. The design of the boat looks weird with the 450R hanging 40 inches behind the boat. I wonder how the boat with run with a single 450R and 6 inches jackplate.. I know you will loose top speed. but how much? Less setback will most likely make it more suitable for offshore .

Cheeers, Toffen

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Hi,

These boats are just awesome. You can have a ballast tank installed and this will secure the offshore racin'.

The only downside for me is the huge setback. Its just a matter of taste. The design of the boat looks weird with the 450R hanging 40 inches behind the boat. I wonder how the boat with run with a single 450R and 6 inches jackplate.. I know you will loose top speed. but how much? Less setback will most likely make it more suitable for offshore .

Cheeers, Toffen
The set-back is just for the center of gravity. You want to set it up for optimal conditions then use tabs or ballast to move that CG forward for rough stuff.