WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Tundra vs. Silverado

No Butt No Putt

Reaction score
Im looking at getting a new truck, when mine is gone.
Looking for info from owners of the 2008 Silverado's and 2008 Tundras.

Hypnautic

Reaction score
4 Star vs. 5 Star Crash test rating. Toyota was the only manufacture to not earn a 5 Star rating.

Safety
Antilock disc brakes, traction control, stability control, front-seat side airbags and full-length side curtain airbags are all standard. In government crash testing, the Tundra scored four stars (out of five) in frontal impact tests for both driver and passenger. In the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety's frontal offset crash testing, the Tundra earned a "Good" rating, the highest possible. edmunds.com

Coming this fall are new models from Ford and Dodge. They both look like all new tooled models. Dodge is even coming out with a diesel in their half ton.

Jyruiz

Next to this Hottie.
Reaction score
I am sure the Toyota is a great truck, but I like the Chevy myself.

BajaMike

Reaction score
I think the new Tundra crew cab is ugly..........

Toyota%20Tundra%20SV%20Blog.jpg

Are you towing?? If you plan to tow more then about 6,000 lbs, you should have a 3/4 ton. Toyota doesn't make a 3/4 ton truck.

:beer

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
The '08 Tundras are reporting camshaft and transmission issues Toyota is covering it all on warranty.
Nice trucks, tons of power.

Rivercrazy

Reaction score
They are both nice trucks. Personally I prefer the Tundra. I have an 07 4X4 with over 18K miles so far. Not one issue with it. The cam and tranny issues were very short lived and isolated to very few trucks.

I pull my 6K boat and rented a few toyhaulers and the Tundra does an outstanding job towing. Tons of power, great spread of gears with the 6 speed tranny, 4.30 rear end - its a beast. Hills are easy pickins....And gas mileage is very good. Im averaging about 15 in town and 16-18 on highway trips at 75-80mph.

IMO its a great towing 1/2 ton. I'd have no problem recommending it for regular towing duty up to about 8-9K loads (even though they are rated for 10K - 10.8K ratings)

Brad @ SCJB

SoCalJetBoats.com
Reaction score
I have a '07 Silverado (new style) ....go with the Silverado...you wont be disapointed. I love mine.

syco

Reaction score
They are both nice trucks. Personally I prefer the Tundra. I have an 07 4X4 with over 18K miles so far. Not one issue with it. The cam and tranny issues were very short lived and isolated to very few trucks.

I pull my 6K boat and rented a few toyhaulers and the Tundra does an outstanding job towing. Tons of power, great spread of gears with the 6 speed tranny, 4.30 rear end - its a beast. Hills are easy pickins....And gas mileage is very good. Im averaging about 15 in town and 16-18 on highway trips at 75-80mph.

IMO its a great towing 1/2 ton. I'd have no problem recommending it for regular towing duty up to about 8-9K loads (even though they are rated for 10K - 10.8K ratings)

Put a toyota in your boat!:lmao

Not So Fast

Reaction score
BUY AMERICAN!

Thats a pretty ambiguous statement :cool: Take a look at where the truck is made and you may be surprised, that all I'm saying.:hmm NSF
PS;;My Tundra was made in Indiana!

Always Floored

Reaction score
Check out the Nissan Titan. All I have to say is go drive one and let the truck speak for itself.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Those are very nice trucks as well. Wouldnt mind having one of those are the new Tundra. But, for now I will stick with my '02 Tundra.

Check out the Nissan Titan. All I have to say is go drive one and let the truck speak for itself.

No Butt No Putt

Reaction score
I have a 2000 silverado now with a 4.8. I guess im over it after having it for 4 years and want a new one with more power. Not to mention im over the lifted craze with 8-10 mpg. The next truck will be slitely lowered with 22's.

Thanks for the input guys. But I think I might just have to drive the Tundra before making up my mind.

Anyone got pics of the 2 trucks lowered with rims?

syco

Reaction score
Thats a pretty ambiguous statement :cool: Take a look at where the truck is made and you may be surprised, that all I'm saying.:hmm NSF
PS;;My Tundra was made in Indiana!

Ill tow ur tundra and boat backwards to the lake with my powerstroke with my new Cleatus doll sitting next to me!:D

G-Body

Reaction score
Is toyota still using their "fully boxed" frame crap?:hmm made from 2 c-channels welded together, kinda like GM was using back in the 70`s 80`s early 90`s till GM moved on to the stronger hydroformed frames.

Not So Fast

Reaction score
Ill tow ur tundra and boat backwards to the lake with my powerstroke with my new Cleatus doll sitting next to me!:D

HEY, THATS MY CLEATUS YOU, YOU SYCO YOU:drool:) After you take your Ford in for another repair II'll pick you up at the dealers and give you a ride home OK:rolleyes:NSF

Not So Fast

Reaction score
Why is it people bash Toyota so much and that buying one is unAmerican? If someone buys a Porsche or a Ferrari or Lamborghini or Volvo or BMW or Volkswagen they dont get a blast of crap, I dont get it. Consumers rates their products as one of the best every year. NSF

No Butt No Putt

Reaction score
Why is it people bash Toyota so much and that buying one is unAmerican? If someone buys a Porsche or a Ferrari or Lamborghini or Volvo or BMW or Volkswagen they dont get a blast of crap, I dont get it. Consumers rates their products as one of the best every year. NSF

I have owned nothing but honda's and toyota's until i bought the chevy I have now. I love toyota, im just not sure if I would want one of their full size trucks.

I was only looking for owner insight not a bashing thread.

2Driver

Reaction score
I would opt for the Chevy 6.0 Vortec Max version of the 1500. I have had my share of both Toyotas and Chevys and each has been great. Chevy's never let me down and I think you will save several grand. I believe they (Chevy) get better mileage as well and will take Regular Gas if not towing or pulling hills. I get 15 MPG around town in my crew cab 4x4 vortec max. Just my 02.

syco

Reaction score
:D
HEY, THATS MY CLEATUS YOU, YOU SYCO YOU:drool:) After you take your Ford in for another repair II'll pick you up at the dealers and give you a ride home OK:rolleyes:NSF

Ill take good care of him! I have only been in fo warranty work one time. They put a updated turbo in and it didnt cost me a dime, Thats the good thing about haveing a hundred thousand mile warranty.:D

syco

Reaction score
I have owned nothing but honda's and toyota's until i bought the chevy I have now. I love toyota, im just not sure if I would want one of their full size trucks.

I guess it boils down to how much do you want to spend too!

When im pulling a 40 foot trailer full of chopper to a show I feel pretty comfortable towing with a heavy duty truck like my super duty ford. What are you towing?

Not So Fast

Reaction score

What I can tell you is that I have had excellent luck with Toyo's but as I just built my dream truck on their website I can say for certain that their prices have gone up a LOT. With Tax & license around $50,000 and I didnt go crazy on extras, I'll stick with my 2000 Tundra, it only tows about 2 miles to the ramp so it will do me fine and at 3000 miles a year will outlast me most likely:( I would really like a new one though;) Good luck NSF

No Butt No Putt

Reaction score
I guess it boils down to how much do you want to spend too!

When im pulling a 40 foot trailer full of chopper to a show I feel pretty comfortable towing with a heavy duty truck like my super duty ford. What are you towing?

A 18ft Jet Boat. :D
Its just time for a new truck. Mine with the 4.8 and a shit load of goodies tows it well. Im just over 8 miles to the gallon towing my boat. and 11 on the freeway and around town.

Next one will be lowered AGAIN with some rims.