WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Tunnel hull owners -

22hotkat

Reaction score
Are you running multiple bilge pumps and if so on toggle switches or float switches? Maybe creative plumbing

lbhsbz

Reaction score
I have a mod VP and I run 3 pumps...all on the same switch. I don't care if one or 2 runs dry. That doesn't seem to hurt them (I've left it on all night before...more than once by accident). If you want to run them all into the same dump, Put the Y right at the dump, so all the volume in the hose doesn't drain back into the boat when you turn the pumps off. Or, dump the sponson pumps into the keel where the keel pump can dump it overboard.

I don't have enough room between the transom and the fuel tanks in the sponsons for a normal bilge pump, so I use a couple of these:

I made a scupper screen out of a PVC cap wtih holes drilled in it and barb fitting to strain out the garbage and mounted the pumps up high on the transom....these pump will draw water up the hose a foot (probably more) and pump pretty damn good...plus, they're cheap.

Last edited:

SixD9R

Reaction score
I have a mod vp and run 3 pumps, 1 switch and 3 dumps. I have these pumps or at least something very close. If switched on they run every 2.5 minutes for a few seconds if dry or until the water is gone. I think it knows if it’s pumping by the power draw. The nice thing about them is you can leave them on overnight or whatever and not have to worry about killing the battery or the pump. If you leave them on for a while eventually they get out of sync with each other because 1 or more may pump water and the others not but that’s no problem at all.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Are you running multiple bilge pumps and if so on toggle switches or float switches? Maybe creative plumbing
All the new builds I see have 3 pumps.
I believe they have both switches and auto?

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
One pump in each sponson (ModVP). On a switch (boat doesn’t sit in water long enough or unattended to need floats). Each pump has its own through hull.

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
Red Solo cup for the outer sponsons. Water Witch controlled bilge in the center sponson on the Cougar.

22hotkat

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, exactly what I needed. I have been running a single pump in the center for years and most of the time it's fine but I'm going to 3 per your response

stingray11

Reaction score
3 standard pumps 1 switch for outboards ,3 electronic/ automatic pumps 1 switch for inboards. Float switch are bad news,can easily get foweled. inboards have cables and possibly bellows that run through the Hull underwater so you always want electronic bilge in a inboard boat.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Another idea that I explored a few years ago, but never did for whatever reason (lazy) is to make some sorta backwards intakes in the tunnel tabs so they draw a vacuum, then anytime the boat is underway it will suck all the water out...and it’s wireless.

LazyLavey

Reaction score
Red Solo cup for the outer sponsons. Water Witch controlled bilge in the center sponson on the Cougar.
HA..........I get that!!!! I bought a Lavey Sebring years ago... there was a plastic cocktail cup in each sponson and 1 bilge pump in the center pod..... didn't take long to figure it out

SixD9R

Reaction score
Another idea that I explored a few years ago, but never did for whatever reason (lazy) is to make some sorta backwards intakes in the tunnel tabs so they draw a vacuum, then anytime the boat is underway it will suck all the water out...and it’s wireless.
I think my seadoo has something like that.

Ragged Edge

Man in the Box
Reaction score
The tunnel boat I owned is a race boat, so no bilge pumps. Solo cups were used to get most the water out, then an old towel to finish the job. I had the duck bill style plugs so water could flow out while under way, worked great but you had to keep the tunnels really clean. Any gravel or sticks and the duck bill would not seal when you stopped. I did leave it in the water over night a few times, closed the duck bills off from the inside, worked great but the first night kinda freaked me out. I think I was awake every hour checking on it.

sirbob

Reaction score
Three pumps - 1 power switch all floats

I just recently drilled a hole through each stringer to allow water to flow between the three areas - I had my middle pump go out and the water had to rise to go over the stringers before it stated pumping water out. Ended up with my pulley and belt underwater thrashing it all around and forcing water under my back bench before I realized we had an issue.

lbhsbz

Reaction score

I just recently drilled a hole through each stringer to allow water to flow between the three areas - I had my middle pump go out and the water had to rise to go over the stringers before it stated pumping water out. Ended up with my pulley and belt underwater thrashing it all around and forcing water under my back bench before I realized we had an issue.
An alert system might be a good idea...you could use a condensate detection switch (HVAC parts) to an alarm/beeper. Here’s one option.

FreeBird236

Reaction score

What did you use to seal the wood? I've seen brass inserts used like for expandable drain plugs, just wondering what's best.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
What did you use to seal the wood? I've seen brass inserts used like for expandable drain plugs, just wondering what's best.

the way I do all holes through wood...I drill them oversize by 1/4”, then fill them with thickened epoxy (I make a “syringe” out of a piece of PVC pipe and a pencil or something with tape wrapped around it). After it sets, clean up the excess then redrill your hole through the epoxy plug...then there is no exposed wood.

sirbob

Reaction score
An alert system might be a good idea...you could use a condensate detection switch (HVAC parts) to an alarm/beeper. Here’s one option.

Certainly worth looking at...

I had AJ do it at Barrett last week - we talked about sealing it etc but I haven’t actually seen it yet. I’ll be out next week and see what he ended up doing.

D19

Reaction score
3 autos on switch. I leave the switch on all day.

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
My small tunnel, one pump in the middle sponson on a switch.

On the carrera I have one in each sponson, on a float, with an override switch for each pump.

floatn turd

Reaction score
1 ShamWow.
2020-HOT-Dropship-Non-Abrasive-Super-Absorbent-Shamwow-Shammys-Washing-Sham-Drying-Towel-Clean...jpg

And
1 Midget or "little person" in each Sponson.
munch.jpg

No switch.

👍