WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Turbo-400 Billet Tail-stock /w Integrated cross brace

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
We have been working on Retro fitting the Schiada SR-22 to a Turbo 400 transmission after having trouble keeping the Torque-Flite together. The Turbo 400 tail-stock leaves alot to be desired of in regards to attaching a cross brace, and more importantly a drive line guard flange. So we decided to all together eliminate the stock peice and machine our own from aluminum, this gives a much more positive and much stronger method for attaching our Telescoping driveline guard to. We also added an oil passage to externally lubricate the bronze bearing that the tailshaft is supported by (though it can't be seen in the pictures).

Attachments

• DSC00022 (Medium).JPG
    DSC00022 (Medium).JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 425
  • DSC00023 (Medium).JPG
    DSC00023 (Medium).JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 413
  • DSC00017 (Medium).JPG
    DSC00017 (Medium).JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 421
  • DSC00018 (Medium).JPG
    DSC00018 (Medium).JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 411
  • DSC00019 (Medium).JPG
    DSC00019 (Medium).JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 411
  • DSC00020 (Medium).JPG
    DSC00020 (Medium).JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 419
  • DSC00021 (Medium).JPG
    DSC00021 (Medium).JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 412

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Being that I've never owned a Torque flight, or a Turbo 400 (other then the one that was in my caddy.. LOL)

Can you explain to me what's going on here? I see the original cast piece in the 1st picture. Are you replacing that with the 2 billet rounds, that are now sandwiching the mounting plate?

RD

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Being that I've never owned a Torque flight, or a Turbo 400 (other then the one that was in my caddy.. LOL)

Can you explain to me what's going on here? I see the original cast piece in the 1st picture. Are you replacing that with the 2 billet rounds, that are now sandwiching the mounting plate?

RD

Exactly, this way the drive line guard flange and cross brace have full 6 bolt attachment to the transmission. Since the stock piece is designed to be used in a car it only has mounting for a cross brace along it's bottom which requires you to bolt your cross brace off a piece of angle hanging from the tail stock, and attach the drive-line guard to the cross brace, this just provides a cleaner and stronger setup.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Looking good! What are the 2 grooves in the OD of the part "aft" of the plate?

RD

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
O-Rings so it wont vibrate?

Ding Ding Ding!!! we have a winner :cool:, damn dave i would have surely thought a machinist would have beat him to it :D:beer

Here is the alternative to the way we do it, this uses the stock peice, as you can see it doesn't provide quite as much 'meat' for the drive line guard attachment.

attachment.php

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Racey, what's going on with the stringers towards the back of the tranny? It looks like the stringer dips down a bit, and then there is a very large L shaped bracket (black) that runs over the top of them and across the side of the stringer?

RD

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Racey, what's going on with the stringers towards the back of the tranny? It looks like the stringer dips down a bit, and then there is a very large L shaped bracket (black) that runs over the top of them and across the side of the stringer?

RD

We cut the stringers down a couple inches where the motor mounts to keep the engine as low as possible, this gives us the ability to run a nearly flush hatch (Seen Here: http://raceyindustries.com/Projects/Schiada_SR22/images/large/Schiada_SR22_058.JPG )

The large L-Shaped bracket: this may be the aluminum floor board you are referring to, it simply fills in the space between inner and outer stringers at the point where in the inner stringer is cut down, this is there to make it easier to step around in the boat, and also on the drivers side the Trans/Engine Oil Cooler are mounted to this aluminum plate.
(Seen Here: http://raceyindustries.com/Projects/Schiada_SR22/images/large/Schiada_SR22_008.JPG )
(And Here: http://raceyindustries.com/Projects/Schiada_SR22/images/large/Schiada_SR22_002.JPG )

D

Deleted Account

Ding Ding Ding!!! we have a winner :cool:, damn dave i would have surely thought a machinist would have beat him to it :D:beer

Here is the alternative to the way we do it, this uses the stock peice, as you can see it doesn't provide quite as much 'meat' for the drive line guard attachment.

attachment.php

Is this like a Casale deal? Do I get a Racey T-Shirt, socks, what? :D:beer:D

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
We cut the stringers down a couple inches where the motor mounts to keep the engine as low as possible, this gives us the ability to run a nearly flush hatch (Seen Here: http://raceyindustries.com/Projects/Schiada_SR22/images/large/Schiada_SR22_058.JPG )

The large L-Shaped bracket: this may be the aluminum floor board you are referring to, it simply fills in the space between inner and outer stringers at the point where in the inner stringer is cut down, this is there to make it easier to step around in the boat, and also on the drivers side the Trans/Engine Oil Cooler are mounted to this aluminum plate.
(Seen Here: http://raceyindustries.com/Projects/Schiada_SR22/images/large/Schiada_SR22_008.JPG )
(And Here: http://raceyindustries.com/Projects/Schiada_SR22/images/large/Schiada_SR22_002.JPG )

Racey, I think you should bring the 22 down to Parker so I can get a better look at it. It's going to take you too long to type out the answers to all these questions.. :D

RD

Mondorally

Reaction score
Racey, I think you should bring the 22 down to Parker so I can get a better look at it. It's going to take you too long to type out the answers to all these questions.. :D

RD

He can keep it in my garage if I get a ride!

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
I talked to Steve, he wants to bring it down for the schiada notta regatta or whatever the hell we are calling it now a days:D, anyone have any guess as to when that is happening , we'll get you a ride RD ;)

As i write this my old man is in kneeling in the bilge re-installing the v-drive, we put bigger gears in it, and the trophy truck single peice input shaft, new tapered roller bearings and seals, the whole works.

D

Deleted Account

That's just sick. Bring the boat for sale, too...:hmm

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
I ended up working late friday night, didn't get out of the shop till about 7:30, and didnt have anything ready to go, i wouldnt have made it down till 11 at night, i just stayed back and wrapped up some stuff on linder's boat saturday and sunday to get it ready for the motor from carson. I wish i could have made it, next time for sure.

River Lynchmob

What can I do to u for u?
Reaction score
I ended up working late friday night, didn't get out of the shop till about 7:30, and didnt have anything ready to go, i wouldnt have made it down till 11 at night, i just stayed back and wrapped up some stuff on linder's boat saturday and sunday to get it ready for the motor from carson. I wish i could have made it, next time for sure.

When did Carson say you would have the motor?

He has mine stripped down to the long block.

River Lynchmob

Reaction score
probably wednesday/thursday he should be up with the motor he said.

He better send that thing up with Javier...he better not be going anywhere, he has a lot of work to do to my boat. :D

D

Deleted Account

...As i write this my old man is in kneeling in the bilge re-installing the v-drive, we put bigger gears in it, and the trophy truck single peice input shaft, new tapered roller bearings and seals, the whole works.

How big a gear did you throw at it?

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
i think it's a 55 now, it was 48

River Lynchmob

Reaction score
What did the motor dyno at?

Im not sure it's on the dyno yet. When I hear I will let you know.

It is the same as most of the motors Carson is building right now. They are set up for pump and av. On pump they are about 1250 and av about 1400.

I was talking to him about doing EFI on my motor next winter and he said if you build it to run exclusivly on race gas (110) he is seeing about 1680 with 20 lbs of boost.

It won't cost anymore to build so I say you can never have too much HP you just dont have to use it all. What's the old saying...Its better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

D

Deleted Account

Im not sure it's on the dyno yet. When I hear I will let you know.

It is the same as most of the motors Carson is building right now. They are set up for pump and av. On pump they are about 1250 and av about 1400.

I was talking to him about doing EFI on my motor next winter and he said if you build it to run exclusivly on race gas (110) he is seeing about 1680 with 20 lbs of boost.

It won't cost anymore to build so I say you can never have too much HP you just dont have to use it all. What's the old saying...Its better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

What gears are in the P.P.E? :D

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Over 1400, and that is on Carson's Dyno which reads lower than most (or more accurate :D) before the turbo swap it made about 1290

River Lynchmob

Reaction score
Over 1400, and that is on Carson's Dyno which reads lower than most (or more accurate :D) before the turbo swap it made about 1290

Very nice...I bet Linder popped a bit of a chubby.