WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Turtles on the river?

thedan

Reaction score
Beached below Jack Smith Park yesterday and saw this guy on the beach! Earlier I saw a crawdad washed up on shore (Both by Rollbar boat wakes!). Sorry for the bad pic of the guy upside down. I took 6 pics, all were bad. Y’all ever seen turtles in the river/lake?
AC9261F6-A8EE-4375-9E49-2BAF8A657BD9.jpeg

River Runnin

Reaction score
Beached below Jack Smith Park yesterday and saw this guy on the beach! Earlier I saw a crawdad washed up on shore (Both by Rollbar boat wakes!). Sorry for the bad pic of the guy upside down. I took 6 pics, all were bad. Y’all ever seen turtles in the river/lake? View attachment 914150
Bill Williams area, Big turtles, legal to catch, and Tasty!! ;)

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Saw one swimming across Pirates Cove channel a month ago. Had his head above water swimming across.

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
I just saw one. A couple weeks back at steam boat. Some guys was fishing and hooked a pretty good size one. Probably at least 1' wide.

I thought he was messing with us when he said it's a turtle, then it broke water and I said holy shit it is a turtle lol. He let it go.

Been going to the river/lake for a long ass time and that is the 1st time.

Taboma

Reaction score
I used to see them on the inside behind grass island on Havasu, usually in the late morning, pretty good sized ones too.

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
Hang out in the right coves and you will see good size ones all the time. Sometimes you can even spot a beaver. And I'm not speaking of the aggressive hairless one's that frequent the channel and the sandbar.

brianwhiteboy

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
Beached below Jack Smith Park yesterday and saw this guy on the beach! Earlier I saw a crawdad washed up on shore (Both by Rollbar boat wakes!). Sorry for the bad pic of the guy upside down. I took 6 pics, all were bad. Y’all ever seen turtles in the river/lake? View attachment 914150
I’ve only fished once or twice in my life and the one time I did it was the lower river in Blythe...and we caught one of those turtles. I believe they’re called a softshell turtle. That must be a baby because the one I caught was a bigger than my hand.

Catfish were biting all day but it freaked me out as I wasn’t expecting a turtle at the end of the line! Thankfully I was able to get the hook out of it and release it.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Seen beavers...was a pair the used to live in the jetty just south of Palms on Az side. First time I saw one, was like a Loch Ness thing...freaked me out. Crawdads I've seen, but never in enough numbers to think about making a pot of gumbo:( In over 20 years north of the lake, never seen a turtle though. That's pretty cool!

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Seen a couple over the years. Had one surface for a gulp of air as I was idling across Thompson bay once. It was a rather sizable one too.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Seen beavers...was a pair the used to live in the jetty just south of Palms on Az side. First time I saw one, was like a Loch Ness thing...freaked me out. Crawdads I've seen, but never in enough numbers to think about making a pot of gumbo:( In over 20 years north of the lake, never seen a turtle though. That's pretty cool!
I hear ya on that beaver thing. Me and the mrs were butt naked swimming in a small cove and we hear this big splash right behind us. Can't prove it but I'm pretty sure we both walked on water. 😁

River Runnin

Reaction score
I hear ya on that beaver thing. Me and the mrs were butt naked swimming in a small cove and we hear this big splash right behind us. Can't prove it but I'm pretty sure we both walked on water. 😁
Good thing it didn't grab your worm! 😆

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

Fuck...

DELETE this thread before the enviro nuts see it. This is all the ammo they need to get the river closed down to boating.

DELETE DELETE DELETE!!!

Cdog

Reaction score
Yesterday I was at Bartlett on the North end no wake zone having a beer in the water and saw a water turtle about 5 feet from me. My bud Fred tried to swim after it but the damn things are fast.

River Runnin

Reaction score
Fuck...

DELETE this thread before the enviro nuts see it. This is all the ammo they need to get the river closed down to boating.

DELETE DELETE DELETE!!!
A few more PlowBoy Wave Tractor pass's! ... And you could have yourself a cocktail! 😆

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Pretty much any fresh water environment thats been in existence since eternity has turtles in it.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
I went out early morning on my POS Kawasaki TS at Big River while the water was low and smooth to search for the tool bag that fell outta my boat when it flipped it 10 years ago....saw a BIG ASS turtle....it looked not much smaller than the footprint of the thing I was riding...but was likely only about 4 feet long. I didn't hang out in the water much that day

DC-88

Reaction score
These things can live almost anywhere it seems. They were crawling all over the newly paved parking lot of a big commercial building in SLO we were working on last winter during a storm. I’ve seen the turtles by Needles quite a bit -
Adjustments.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4Waters

Reaction score
Got bit by one at Mohave, I was sitting in the water up to my armpits drinking a beer when the fuker got me a couple inches below my armpit. Up until then I didn't know they were in there.

Flatsix66

Reaction score
Saw a Beaver dragging a plastic Pepsi bottle across the beach into the reeds last week at the palm tree beach before the gorge. Environmentally friendly beaver.

If you ever wonder why you sometimes see bubbles coming to the surface in a cove it's probably a turtle.

River Runnin

Reaction score
Saw a Beaver dragging a plastic Pepsi bottle across the beach into the reeds last week at the palm tree beach before the gorge. Environmentally friendly beaver.

If you ever wonder why you sometimes see bubbles coming to the surface in a cove it's probably a turtle.
Hunt'n for twigs & Berries! ;)

sintax

Reaction score

Yup, I spotted a beaver up by the reeds north of havasu when I was a kid while I was on a standup ski, no one believed me.

charred1

Reaction score
I just saw one. A couple weeks back at steam boat. Some guys was fishing and hooked a pretty good size one. Probably at least 1' wide.

I thought he was messing with us when he said it's a turtle, then it broke water and I said holy shit it is a turtle lol. He let it go.

Been going to the river/lake for a long ass time and that is the 1st time.
B149AA67-2EC7-4C7E-AE0D-22273FEF19DA.jpeg

Was it this one? My buddy’s daughter caught this one off the back of his boat in Steamboat in July. We had a hell have a time getting it off the line...lol.

Taboma

Reaction score
Yup, I spotted a beaver up by the reeds north of havasu when I was a kid while I was on a standup ski, no one believed me.

There are beavers living in those small ponds in the interior of the reeds, they travel between the ponds in those narrow interconnecting channels. Back in the day before the feds shut down the pwc access to those areas, I encountered a few of them while exploring those channels.
One day I ended up behind one in a channel, he could go anywhere other than following the channel. I just stayed back and followed him and sure enough we emerged into a large pond, where he could dive and disappear.
Also a couple I've seen between site six and the Islander early in the morning.
Had one walk right up out of the water while my buddy and I were standing on a beach BSing. My buddy had his back to him, big sucker too, I'm trying to give my friend head nods to turn around, he about crapped his suit when he finally caught the hint and turned around, this thing was about 5 feet behind him by then. :oops: 😂

77charger

Reaction score
I guess if you pay attention there’s lots of wildlife to see. Seen a big boar on ca side years ago in the tules below sand bar.

Taboma

Reaction score
I guess if you pay attention there’s lots of wildlife to see. Seen a big boar on ca side years ago in the tules below sand bar.

Sure is, especially during the week ( I mean pre-covid mid-week craziness) in the morning when it's cool, slow cruising back in the bays.
While exploring one morning on the jet skis, spotted a small bobcat sunning on a little beach. Idled up, then coasted in close, he just kept watching me. Got off and slowly crept up, camera in hand, was pretty damned close when he suddenly stood up. Figured he was going to bolt away, imagine my surprise when he walked straight at me and kept on coming. :oops: I retreated into the water and he stood on the edge of the beach until I'd backed off. Then turned around and walked back and laid back down, you could plainly see the " Fuck You, I win" grin. 😁
My wife damn near fell off her ski she was laughing so hard. 😂😂 We'd idled half way across the bay by the time I'd remembered I hadn't even got any pictures. 😖
Turned back and he was gone.
I've always found it amazing how many critters survive in such a harsh environment.

guest hs

Reaction score
There use to be many many turtles lined up on the shore in the London bridge channel in the 70’s and 80’s

lantz

Reaction score
Yes, plenty of turtles on the strip. We've caught them, found them washed up on shore after being prop struck, and sometimes see them swimming. Crawdads are common. We've got a resident beaver just near our beach, so we see him/her?, and a baby this year swimming in the water almost every trip. They like eating the dates from the palm, so they are sometimes out of the water snacking in the early AM. My friend caught a rainbow trout one evening while we were sitting down to fish for cats from our dock, but that was the only trout I've seen caught on the strip in 48 years and that was 20+ years ago.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Fuck...

DELETE DELETE DELETE!!!

They aren’t endangered Joe.. you are way to paranoid

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
I Remember one time years ago we were fishing up above Bard , Ca on the river drinkn beers and catchn fish well we had about 8-9 fish on the stringer campfire going and to many beers so we just left the stringer in the water and went to bed ( pass out ) 😳 Next morning only heads on the stringer WTF we didn’t know What to think until we went to get more beer at the market and the old timer told us about the turtles , up to that point I was not going back into the river lol

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
They aren’t endangered Joe.. you are way to paranoid

No, I know how the enviro nuts work. I spent quite a bit of time with them dealing with issues in Glamis.

They are WAY more devious than you can even imagine.

That is all.

4Waters

Reaction score
No, I know how the enviro nuts work. I spent quite a bit of time with them dealing with issues in Glamis.

They are WAY more devious than you can even imagine.

That is all.
They are why Pismo is so small now.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
I think it is pretty darn cool when we realize the few beaver which survive and remain along the Colorado, and its lakes, are the ancestors of those beavers the frontier fur trappers pursued. They've done pretty damned well considering. There are also river otters here. Very elusive. I've only seen them 3 times, always in a Cove, just before sunset. Fantastic critters. No need to close anything. They are doing fine. Just don't harass them.

Crawdads/Crayfish and Cockroaches will likely be here when this is all over. Just sayin' . . . . .