WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

TV shopping

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
I thought I had it narrowed down to the $1999 model then I get an email add from COSTCO with that one and another 75" one is a LED and the other is QLED........anyone explain the difference besides the price. I know there is more inputs in the more expenxive one and higher watts speakers but no idea on the QLED
Capture.JPG

https://www.costco.com/CompareProductsDisplay?partNumbers=100485972,100485437

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
"LED is millions of colors, Qled is billions of colors." -In store Samsung rep when we asked the same question.

more colors and maybe more pixels I think

sintax

Reaction score
I'm prob gonna sound like a clown here, but like my cheapo Hisense bedroom tv way better than I like my livingroom high dollar Samsung. Take that for what its worth, but the Hisense is pretty amazing, esp when you look at it costing 1/4 of the samsung.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
TV's... So I'm watching my Samsung the other day and out of nowhere the screen goes black. Sound, but no screen. Geek squad comes out and says this TV is old... (it's under 3 years old). They say they can replace this or that, but it's going to cost more than the TV is worth. 60" Smart TV... blah blah blah… not the highest from 3 years ago, and not the lowest. We paid somewhere a tad over 1K when we bought it.

Today, that comparable TV is in the 600's... Sales will make that better.

BIGGEST takeaway was from the repair guy. He told us if we buy a Samsung, make sure we pay the few hundred bucks for the extra warranty, because they are ALWAYS out repairing Samsung TV's. And If we had the extended on this one, they would have just replaced it with a new one if the replacement parts weren't available (which he didn't think were at the time) We will be going with a Sony or LG at this point. Just waiting on the Black Friday sales.

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
The wife and I just bought an LG OLED last month!!! HOLY CHIT is all we can say. I had picked out a 75" 4K LED to replace our 65" LED Vizio that was starting to show signs of death. Here in Havasu high tech TV's are hard to compare but Bobby on here suggested a place in town and we went to see just how big this 75"er was going to be. As we walked in the wife spotted what we knew nothing about, OLED. That was the end of an LED TV. I had to give up on the 75" but did get the 65". The diff between LED and OLED is just amazing. I ordered online and everything turned out GREAT.

thedan

Reaction score
We really like our TCL TVs. Remote and interface is slick.

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
Can’t beat Costco , yep , 7 year warranty . I’m hoping that if my 75” OLED or QLED fails , I’ll get a new one ...

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
We really like our TCL TVs. Remote and interface is slick.
Of all my research on LED's they came out on top. At least the series 6 did. Then the oled came up!!:D

Taboma

Reaction score
TV's... So I'm watching my Samsung the other day and out of nowhere the screen goes black. Sound, but no screen. Geek squad comes out and says this TV is old... (it's under 3 years old). They say they can replace this or that, but it's going to cost more than the TV is worth. 60" Smart TV... blah blah blah… not the highest from 3 years ago, and not the lowest. We paid somewhere a tad over 1K when we bought it.

Today, that comparable TV is in the 600's... Sales will make that better.

BIGGEST takeaway was from the repair guy. He told us if we buy a Samsung, make sure we pay the few hundred bucks for the extra warranty, because they are ALWAYS out repairing Samsung TV's. And If we had the extended on this one, they would have just replaced it with a new one if the replacement parts weren't available (which he didn't think were at the time) We will be going with a Sony or LG at this point. Just waiting on the Black Friday sales.

Wonder if Samsung has jumped the shark with quality ? I've got four older big screen LED Samsungs, hell, my main 65" is 10 years old, not a single problem. Naturally, I'm inclined to buy another one.
Now I've never had any Geek squad in my home, so I can't comment on their skill level. But I will say, I've had a few appliance warranty repair guys over thanks to some shit Bosch kitchen appliances and on two occasions I ended up teaching them how to make the repairs when it became obvious they weren't remotely qualified.

I guess my point is, I'm not sure how much I'd trust anything the Geek Squad told me ;)
So I'll just buy at Costco with my Costco card and enjoy 7 worry free years. :D

Taboma

Reaction score
More back to your original question Gramps. That 7 series Samsung QLED, in addition to the billions of colors as TPC noted and higher pixel count (As you noted) is also the start of their back lit screen series vs. being side lit.
LG makes an amazing OLED line, but have otherwise fallen behind with their non-OLED lineup.

Personally, considering my video source is relegated to Directv Sat, I'm not willing to sacrifice getting a 65" vs 75" to go with an OLED and I'm not going to pay $ 5K for LG's 77".

A few months ago that 75" QLED Samsung was $ 2,699 @ Costco, then they dropped it to $ 2,599, then offered a $ 300 + discount for using the Costco CC. Then it dropped to $ 2,399 for all --- and now $ 1,999 until Thanksgiving. Only Costco offers theirs with the 5 yr warranty + another 2 Yr with Costco CC.
I like the Sony as well, but not enough to toss away all that " Free " warranty.
What will the prices be after Thanksgiving ? Guess I'll be finding out since my 10 year old 65" Samsung refuses to die and no way am I going to toss the damn thing until it does.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Who has the best price on an oled
Most likely right now COSTCO.
Plus the no hassle COSTCO warranty is a BFD.
We have the LG in both LED and QLED and the Samsung’s LED and QLED.
LED is fantastic but the QLED is noticeably better picture.

You should take them off power saving and use the brighter picture settings or you are wasting your time and money. Thus the picture quality and detail pops and talks to you.

The LG has a more user friendly remote.

Taboma

Reaction score
Most likely right now COSTCO.
Plus the no hassle COSTCO warranty is a BFD.
We have the LG in both LED and QLED and the Samsung’s LED and QLED.
LED is fantastic but the QLED is noticeably better picture.

You should take them off power saving and use the brighter picture settings or you are wasting your time and money. Thus the picture quality and detail pops and talks to you.

The LG has a more user friendly remote.

Good tip on the power savings and I agree on the Samsung remote forcing you to use a screen menu. Although in my case the vast majority of my controlling is using my Directv remote, rarely do I change anything on the TV itself. My slow-ass DSL up here on the mountain renders all the "Smart TV" tech as useless.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Good tip on the power savings and I agree on the Samsung remote forcing you to use a screen menu. Although in my case the vast majority of my controlling is using my Directv remote, rarely do I change anything on the TV itself. My slow-ass DSL up here on the mountain renders all the "Smart TV" tech as useless.

Us too but with the streaming options and YouTube it’s one touch with LG. Can’t use the Direct for that.

Often confusing stepping into the Samsung menu then several Maneuvers more with Samsung’s guess-your-best 5 button ghost controller.

The kids busted out an old-style years old Samsung remote that jives good with the new set, less guessing.

I’m a big fan of 4K streaming.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
The Samsung Q7 is the go to.
There’s no comparison with the UHD.
I’ve had 6 sammys, LED to the Plas I still run, and only one ever went black screen. But that was 8 years ago.

I still haven’t pulled the trigger on the Q7 (75”) due to unexpected expenses that seem to be creeping up every month, but I will buy it before Christmas at some point.

Taboma

Reaction score
Us too but with the streaming options and YouTube it’s one touch with LG. Can’t use the Direct for that.

Often confusing stepping into the Samsung menu then several Maneuvers more with Samsung’s guess-your-best 5 button ghost controller.

The kids busted out an old-style years old Samsung remote that jives good with the new set, less guessing.

I’m a big fan of 4K streaming.

Good to know that the older remote will work, I'll be sure not to toss mine just in case.

THE WIDGE

Reaction score
Anyone know of the qled 75” q80 is much better than the q7 at Costco. Looks like Best Buy has the q80 and Costco doesn’t. Costco and Best Buy are same price on the q7 but Costco has 5 year warranty which is no brainer. Just trying to figure if it’s work going w the needer model