WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Two pounds of shit in a one-pound bag. Solar in a Lance camper.

wash11

Reaction score
We own a nice 12’ Lance with a slideout used as guest quarters a few times per year. This Spring/Summer, our kids will be staying in it full-time during a move from Texas to Arizona. A solar upgrade with an inverter makes sense. Working on RVs, in general, isn’t much fun. Then try to wrap your head around how tight and compact everything is in a well-built cab-over camper…………. Fuuuuuuuuuck.

I’ve mentioned a guy they call Chicken Dan several times in past projects that I’ve posted. Fabricator and machinist with a background in wiring off-road race cars/trucks, turned electrician (20+ years as a Havasu contractor before I sucked him into this rural life). He now does primarily large off-grid solar installations and high-end solar installs for RVs. Despite wearing cargo pants and telling corny dad jokes, he’s pretty much the most intelligent guy we know.

This tight-spaced nonsense looked like a job for him because fuck that.

Storage space on a cab-over camper is rare, so an install that didn’t take too much room is appreciated. The ability for a battery upgrade down the road is nice too. We had recently installed two new 6 volt AGMs so the kids will use these as a starting point to see how they do. Two Battlborn lithiums will be the first upgrade if the 6 volts won’t cut it. So far, they are holding up just fine.

Ol’ Chicken is not inexpensive, but he’s a great value. Once he knows your goals, he’ll engineer/design a bulletproof system and give you a parts list. You can shop your best price or leave it up to him to order the pieces. If you want to watch and or chit-chat while he’s working, remember that you’re paying by the hour, and the clock doesn’t stop running during the greatest of conversations. He’s completely mobile but also has a 5600’ building with a full fab shop inside. You’ll save a bunch of dough if you bring your coach to him. Licensed, bonded, insured etc Dan 928-486-8517.

I’ll let the pics do most of the talking going forward.

Shortly after moving the Lance to a nice camp spot with water on our property.
IMG_E9612.JPG

IMG_E0018.JPG

IMG_E0020.JPG

Dan's ridiculously stocked service truck.
IMG_0244.JPG

But wait!!!!!! First, let's address several years of rats trying to murder this thing. We've done our best to keep traps fresh but living this rural has its downsides, especially if something doesn't get regular use. He started by checking all the circuits and found several dead outlets. This slowed the install by at least three days. He ended up disassembling a large portion of the camper, including the belly pan to pull out 30lbs worth of rats nests before accessing the delicious wires that had been chewed up.
IMG_2513.JPG

IMG_2510.JPG

IMG_2497.JPG

IMG_2509.JPG

Once we were at least back to zero, the install could take place. We had several 250 watt panels leftover from a solar upgrade we did last year so added two of these to the roof. We used the existing roof rack with extensions built from there. This allows extra cooling beneath the panels and lets us use whole house fan without modification.
IMG_0329.JPG

IMG_E0340.JPG

IMG_E0339.JPG

Up next was installing the custom wire loom he built in his shop. The amount of disassembly to run the harness was borderline obscene. It's almost a shame that you can't see the finished product as it's so well hidden.
IMG_2489.JPG

IMG_2488.JPG

IMG_2505.JPG

IMG_2518.JPG

IMG_2519.JPG

He installed a charging station for 12 volt goodies too. Nice to have.
IMG_2506.JPG

IMG_0306.JPG

Controls and monitors, everything is also ran through an app on your phone via Bluetooth.
IMG_E0341.JPG

Here's where the pre-planning and packaging really come into play.
IMG_E0335.JPG

IMG_E0345.JPG

Breakers, switches and shunts were mounted on a custom bracket in the battery slide drawer. The slide works as designed, nice smooth operation.
IMG_2536.JPG

IMG_E0348.JPG

IMG_2531.JPG

IMG_E0342.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_E0020.JPG
    IMG_E0020.JPG
    1,004.3 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_E0020.JPG
    IMG_E0020.JPG
    1,004.3 KB · Views: 42

wash11

Reaction score
The Victron components are bitchin and customer service is second to none. The whole system does some pretty techy shit so I was amazed how it all just worked together correctly right from the start. I think the design is perfect for a small camper like this. A larger coach would probably want a bigger invertor and more batteries plus panels but this gives an idea of what a good installation takes on a cab-over. They pack so much into a small space.

Vib

Reaction score
That's some nice work! Thanks for posting

Jay Dub

Reaction score
great install and story. thanks for sharing.

pull-on

Roofers do it on top.
Reaction score
Always love seeing your threads. Those upgrades are tits. The rats, not so much. But that's rural livin. Would love to chase those dreams at some point before I die.

boatnam2

Reaction score
What is the plan for the rats moving forward, you building a better rat trap?

BasilHayden

Reaction score
The Victron components are bitchin and customer service is second to none. The whole system does some pretty techy shit so I was amazed how it all just worked together correctly right from the start. I think the design is perfect for a small camper like this. A larger coach would probably want a bigger invertor and more batteries plus panels but this gives an idea of what a good installation takes on a cab-over. They pack so much into a small space.
Their stuff is top notch. good choice.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Why not just build an RV cover in that spot, load the roof with panels and put all your inverters/equipment in a shed to plug in any transient RV you want to at that location? You could probably even generate some income with it for the RV camping location with water and power!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Why not just build an RV cover in that spot, load the roof with panels and put all your inverters/equipment in a shed to plug in any transient RV you want to at that location? You could probably even generate some income with it for the RV camping location with water and power!

I was gonna ask the same thing.. but I was thinking a mini solar field with batteries etc ina shed next to the spot.

Seems like it would be way easier, granted not mobile.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
I have posted this before. I have not had one problem with rats in 10 years. I struggled with the rat deal when I forst moved to AZ. I really believe in this product. I have them on my truck and 5th wheel. You can get the ones that connect to the battery or also ones that take batteries for areas you cant reach to the battery connection. I use both

wash11

Reaction score
What is the plan for the rats moving forward, you building a better rat trap?
The camper sat 1/4 mile from the house with very little use. It's like we were asking for trouble. We moved it within 250' of the house so the three cats run the area on the regular. That, along with people living in it full time, the problem should go away. FYI, we lived in our 5th wheel full time up here and had zero rodent problems. And that was before bringing home the three murdering felines. But, seems like we're always up against something so who knows how it plays out......

wash11

Reaction score
It's an idea we thought about for sure. If you were to see the view in person, the whole campsite actually- you'd know why we keep it fairly untouched. We did Hipcamp for two years and did ok income wise but over time, Amy's desire to not wear clothes beat out the idea of babysitting campers 😁

wash11

Reaction score
I was gonna ask the same thing.. but I was thinking a mini solar field with batteries etc ina shed next to the spot.

I still have this crazy dream of wintering on the strip with two lawn chairs and an old Hallet flatty. I guess this was a little effort thrown at that dream. And to be fair, when have I ever been smart enough to choose the easy route?

wash11

Reaction score
Holy shit Joel, that is a beyond bad azz install. Every detail of it is perfect. This guy did an fantastic job.

Thanks for sharing!!!
It would seem impossible that you haven't met Dan at some point. He was doing a lot of fab work for the old Glamis crew 07'-10'. He's the guy that built the suicide shift and big handicap seat for Wheelie Bars 70.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
It would seem impossible that you haven't met Dan at some point. He was doing a lot of fab work for the old Glamis crew 07'-10'. He's the guy that built the suicide shift and big handicap seat for Wheelie Bars 70.

Possibly have. Can't recall though.

Been working with Slappy on some new projects he has in play. It's moving slowly, but it is coming along.

Still loving the ol Glamis crew/days.

P. S. I still have your old fridge in my garage. Still works perfect! 👍🏼

Riverryder

Reaction score
@mesquito_creek @RiverDave I believe he does have a spot that people can rent out. I saw in his other thread that they cut a pad and someone was staying in the spot.

I really do enjoy seeing any post you put up. You are living the dream most of us wish we could.

wash11

Reaction score
I have posted this before. I have not had one problem with rats in 10 years. I struggled with the rat deal when I forst moved to AZ. I really believe in this product. I have them on my truck and 5th wheel. You can get the ones that connect to the battery or also ones that take batteries for areas you cant reach to the battery connection. I use both

We actually installed one of those. I believe it slowed the problem down but we would still catch rats in the traps on occasion. I think the bulk of the damage was done before installing that though.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
We actually installed one of those. I believe it slowed the problem down but we would still catch rats in the traps on occasion. I think the bulk of the damage was done before installing that though.
Hmmmmm........I never see them anymore and I was remote at the house...not as remote as you and currently on a 5 acre spread. Lots of pack rats out here

No issues.....fingers crossed

wash11

Reaction score
Hmmmmm........I never see them anymore and I was remote at the house...not as remote as you and currently on a 5 acre spread. Lots of pack rats out here

No issues.....fingers crossed
That area is a storage/junk yard for us. I think it's just overrun at this point. The product no doubt works but in our situation it was like putting a band aid on a failing dam.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Guy did a nice job. You'll be happy with the gear and its performance.

Thanks for the post, its always interesting to see others work.

Havasu Catman

Reaction score
Nice job on the install. I have a Lance 1055 that I did a solar install on. I posted pictures of the install on Lance owners of America forum. It is a one time charge of 35.00 for a lifetime membership. There are some really nice and helpful people on it. The bubble on the front of your camper is a common problem. I had the same thing happen to mine. It is caused by water leaking in through the roof. Stock they used a cardboard material and it deformed when it got wet. I had a new nose made from a different material installed on mine. It has had no problems since and there was minimal damage to the wood frame underneath. Might be worth looking at.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score

Costs are going to be higher than you think...its no secret that I love ground mounts and have sold a metric shit ton of them..but they are not cheap to build.

@wash11 I'm thawing out a block of what Amy dropped off, going to make some taco's tomorrow. She was super cool, didn't know she was from MT.

TrollerDave

Reaction score
… because fuck that.
You just reassured me that this is an acceptable reason to not do something. Thanks 👍🏻

😁

Chicken Dan did an amazing job and his mobile work shop is awesome!

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
… Beautiful work on the Lance… I have a 110 watt panel on my 11 foot Lance…

… Had five panels on the roof of my motorhome and 10 Trojan 6 V batteries …a trace 2500 W inverter …trace charge controller… System worked beautifully for 20 years…then the big fire came through and burned everything I had at Lake Oroville to the ground…

… Fortunately my Dodge Ram with the Lance was in North Hollywood…when the fire came through… So it did not burn…

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I still have this crazy dream of wintering on the strip with two lawn chairs and an old Hallet flatty. I guess this was a little effort thrown at that dream. And to be fair, when have I ever been smart enough to choose the easy route?

I can buy a flat and store it if need be.. mixed use and all that. 🤪

Spudsbud

Reaction score
Joel,
you gonna make DS this year ?
I'll buy you a beer !

gqchris

Reaction score
I love meticulous work, and this is just great! Chicken, do you travel to Socal ever for work? I think I know the answer but its worth an ask!😅

STV_Keith

Reaction score
Very nice, clean work. Nice to see work from craftsmen. Good choice on equipment. That BMV-712 is nice. Just added one to my RV in January.