WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

U-HAUL?

X-rated

Reaction score
Has anyone ever rented an enclosed trailer for a long distance one way trip from U-Haul? Dont want to be stuck on the side of the road due to bad wheel bearings or some other preventable mech issue. Wondering what the maintenance is like on these?

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
I don't know about maintenance, and truthfully it probably varies wildly from place to place, but in my experience they are over engineered in every way. I would expect trouble with your truck before trouble with any of their trailers.
Probably shouldn't have said that out loud. Don't want to jinx anything for you.

chopperx

Germaine Marine
Reaction score
We have used them before in the past many times. Only once did we blow a tire, they had it it changed on the side of the road within an hour, we were outside of Denver at the time so it was quick for them to get to us. I suppose that if you were in the middle of nowhere and had an issue, it would take them a lot longer to get to you. You do a pre rent inspection before you hook up at the rental spot. If you look closely at everything you should be able to spot any protentional issues, but anything can always happen at any time.

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
rented a Uhaul enclosed that holds a queen bed when we moved our son / 5x8 cargo trailer. zero issues going from Cali to Boulder Co.
Also one way was hundreds more than bringing it back with us.

outboard_256

Reaction score
I have rented the car trailers many times with no issues.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I've rented a car trailer once from CA to AZ.... 3 out of the 4 tires were different mfg and 2 of the 4 were a different size.

cofooter

Reaction score
I've rented the 6x12's several times going 1000 or so miles. I think the trailer was heavier than the load, but they tow pretty good. Checked bearing hub for heat every time we stopped for gas. Never had a single issue. The rates are going to vary depending on your route. I always thought the one way rate was reasonable but that may be due to the route/timing.

dirtslinger2

Reaction score
I've rented the bigger U-haul enclosed twice this past summer. First one had all brand new tires on it, zero issue, and the trailer pulled awesome.
2nd one, when I got to the river, it had a tire that was loosing tread. Called them, and they showed up at my place within an hour and put 2 new tires on it. That one pulled just as good.
I actually wouldn't mind having one for myself.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
rented a Uhaul enclosed that holds a queen bed when we moved our son / 5x8 cargo trailer. zero issues going from Cali to Boulder Co.
Also one way was hundreds more than bringing it back with us.
Lol, everyone is going one way outta California so trailer inventory in Ca is low. Hense, the extra charge for one way eastward travel. I don't think the same charges are present for rentals ending in Ca.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Lol, everyone is going one way outta California so trailer inventory in Ca is low. Hense, the extra charge for one way eastward travel. I don't think the same charges are present for rentals ending in Ca.

No if you are going one way to CA they almost pay you if you don’t do it during busy times.

Rented 2 trucks last year to do my move. $200, unlimited mileage. Drove them back to return them in CA.

Going the other way would have cost $2500.

fishing fool

Reaction score
Depending on the size trailer you need and how far you are going look at buying a trailer then saleing it when you get there.

Looking at U haul cali to Flordia same size trailer was $1,500

DaveH

Reaction score
Has anyone ever rented an enclosed trailer for a long distance one way trip from U-Haul? Dont want to be stuck on the side of the road due to bad wheel bearings or some other preventable mech issue. Wondering what the maintenance is like on these?
i wouldnt worry about a trailer failure. U-haul is pretty diligent about keeping fresh tires on them and doing regular maintenance. they also have road side assist if you have an issue.

had a guy load up two big turbo engines in an enclosed Uhaul and tow from nevada to Florida without issue.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I got the biggest Uhaul truck, the biggest enclosed trailer, and a car hauler for our move from Tucson to Simi last December. One way TO California it cost us right about $300.

The trailer towed fine...... as soon as I adjusted some stuff. They are made to have fairly low tongue weight so even though I thought I was putting enough weight forward in the trailer, I was not. I had to do an empty and re-arrange on the side of the I-10. After that it was fine, no issues. The car trailer though........ did NOT like my factory G35. I had to disconnect the coupler and let the trailer lift with the weight of the car to get it on there. The breakover is far too steep and high for most lower or longer cars.

Jefftowz

Formerly Old School Ultra
Reaction score
I did a U-Haul Car trailer with my daughters Rover Evoque from Van Nuys to Boise ID and no issues at all, Check the tires and look for bearing splatter when you pick it up.

Actually towed very nice.

gqchris

Reaction score
I did a U-Haul Car trailer with my daughters Rover Evoque from Van Nuys to Boise ID and no issues at all, Check the tires and look for bearing splatter when you pick it up.

Actually towed very nice.
Jeff would know also as he deals with trailers and break downs all day. If he vouches for it its good to go!

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
I’ve rented tons of trailers from Uhaul and never had an issue.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Sounds crazy but a lot of people will just buy an enclosed and sell it when they get where they are going

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
At one time U-Haul rented Motorhomes. This goes back to the 80s. An attorney buddy of mine owned a number of them. He owned them, but U-Haul rented them out for him. His financial advisor thought it would a good investment. My buddy said he lost his ass on the deal. And couldn’t even rent one of his own motorhomes when he wanted. These were nice Southwinds about 30-33.ft, no slides back then. But, they did come with a tow hitch receiver. He told me the damned things were commonly blowing their trans. WTF!? Who knows what people were towing with those motorhomes.

Last edited:

PDQH2O

Reaction score
Have you considered a POD? They’ll pick it up when full and deliver it to the new location at a price comparable to UHAUL.

CoolCruzin

Reaction score
I’ve rented the enclosed trailers from UHaul
quite a few times.Will rent again .
Never a problem and tracked good .
Only thing I would do is carry a jack with you if you plan on unhooking which I do.
Their trailers don’t have a jack .
Even empty it a back breaker .

C_J_J_C

Reaction score
I have rented Car, motorcycle, and utility trailers from Uhaul. VERY well built trailers. I have zero issues trusting them.

wzuber

Reaction score
Ask the facility manager to see mai tenance records for the trailer in question. They are supposed to provide that info upon request. As others have noted.....
Inspect the tires for cracking, damage, repairs etc. Also look at the inside wheel seal to see if they are leaking. Also while the trailer is empty/light, grab the tire at the top w/both hands and push/pull back n forth as hard as you can perpindicular to the wheel travel path to see if there is any wheel bearing slop. If there is request it be repaired or select another unit.
The U-haul facility on Garey Ave. in Pomona has a bunch of trailers, trucks, vans etc. To choose from if that helps. Good facility.
In the event of a problem they will dispatch a contracted repair co. As close to your location as possible to get you back on your travel plans asap. Inquire specifically with your rental facility for complete details (written) on how any mechanical or any other problems will be addressed and in what time frame. If a reload is required due to an issue (change out trlr. Etc) as how that is handled and who pays the down time, hotel bills if required etc.
Make certain you completely understand the total weight and load distribution ( tongue weight % etc. When you rent and load. If your improper loading causes the mechanical failure you will be absorbing the repair costs. You can buy their insurance if you wish or check with your homeowners and or auto ins carrier to see what/if they will cover you, many/most policies do but check your specifically and the limits as they apply.