WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

UBER to temporarily cease operations in California

c_land

Reaction score
CA wants to keep their unions happy, they will destroy additional income potential for thousands of others.

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
Same thing will happen to Lyft. I believe it was a group of Uber drivers that initiated the suit because they wanted benefits and overtime pay. They were suing to be classified as employees and not independent contractors but Uber business model is not built for this currently.

regor

Tormenting libturds
Reaction score
but, but, but the weather Uber, the weather!!!

LMAO 70's show .gif

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Same thing will happen to Lyft. I believe it was a group of Uber drivers that initiated the suit because they wanted benefits and overtime pay. They were suing to be classified as employees and not independent contractors but Uber business model is not built for this currently.

So you are saying that after CA government intervention, they are STILL not going to be classified as employees?

Shocking!

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
So you are saying that after CA government intervention, they are STILL not going to be classified as employees?

Shocking!

I'm not sure what you are asking. Uber and Lyft business models from start up were calling drivers independent contractors. Then some of them decided they wanted to be full time employees with benefits so they class action sued. Looks like a judge in California temporarily ruled in their favor and Uber responded by saying our business model isnt set up for that so we may shut down operations in California. To me, if they want to be full time drivers then join yellow cab taxi. If they want to drive for Uber part time on their own schedule for extra money then be an independent contractors for Uber. I'm sure this case will get to California supreme court or maybe higher federal court.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you are asking. Uber and Lyft business models from start up were calling drivers independent contractors. Then some of them decided they wanted to be full time employees with benefits so they class action sued. Looks like a judge in California temporarily ruled in their favor and Uber responded by saying our business model isnt set up for that so we may shut down operations in California. To me, if they want to be full time drivers then join yellow cab taxi. If they want to drive for Uber part time on their own schedule for extra money then be an independent contractors for Uber. I'm sure this case will get to California supreme court or maybe higher federal court.

It was sarcasm.. They signed on as independent contractors... that is what they are. The ones trying to make it a full time job screwed everyone including themselves out of a job.

CA government is playing checkers.. corporate america is playing chess per usual.

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
It was sarcasm.. They signed on as independent contractors... that is what they are. The ones trying to make it a full time job screwed everyone including themselves out of a job.

CA government is playing checkers.. corporate america is playing chess per usual.

Yep, you are totally correct.

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score

My buddy who is retired up in Tahoe was part time Uber for extra money but he developed so many contacts doing it that he stopped doing Uber where they take a percentage and just went totally independent up there. 3k to 5k per month doing part time shuttle service mainly to and from the airport.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Yep, you are totally correct.

CA didn’t bring the lawsuit as I understand it?

This happened in my industry as well some years back. We (Directional Driller’s) we’re almost all 1099. Pay was by day rate. Most days you worked the normal 12-13 hours,
Some days you worked way over as it’s the nature of the job. If you had no relief and worked round the clock you’d bill 1 1/2 times day rate for that day.
As a contractor you supplied all necessary office equipment, your own work computers all hand tools etc. You also paid for all your own expenses, insurance etc as most here know.
Probably at least 80% or more DDs were 1099 at every company, with LLC’s set up and whatever.
Then some idiots filed a class action suit regarding overtime laws. It was huge, and over several years sprawled from one company to the next as the lawyers went on a feeding frenzy. End result is almost NO company offers 1099 option at all.
The part that I loved so much about that career was the freedom as a contractor.
Now it’s just another job. They fucked it up for everyone but especially for the older guys like me.

I can’t imagine the market share that the CA sector contributes to Uber’s bottom line.
Its gotta be huge.
What a fucked up deal.
All because lawyers saw a way to fuck with a huge money source.