WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

ULTRA 23 SHADOW DECK OWNERS-rough water

DoughBallin14

Reaction score
I wonder if Nordic would do an open deck layout on their 24sx! Looks like plenty of freeboard and interior space if opened up 👍🏽 Twin 400s would fly!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
These boat are cool little boats but are horrible for anything outside of smooth water.
Even in light wind consistent chop they bounce around. Any real wakes will send ya airborne.

If that is a concern I would look heavily at the Shockwave or Tahiti / place craft boats as they are much better suited to Havasu style water (still too small IMO but they run better than you would think)

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
I wonder if Nordic would do an open deck layout on their 24sx! Looks like plenty of freeboard and interior space if opened up 👍🏽 Twin 400s would fly!
I called Nordic before we built ours and they will build you anything (awesome guys). The issue with a twin 400 Nordic vs a single OB Domn8er or Ultra is probably 2-2.25x the cost... Realistically getting a lot more boat too, don't get me wrong, but still... :D :p

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

They have done an open bow 24 and it looked pretty cool. The open bow is smaller and shallower though because there isn’t a lot of freeboard you in the front of them.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I called Nordic before we built ours and they will build you anything (awesome guys). The issue with a twin 400 Nordic vs a single OB Domn8er or Ultra is probably 2-2.25x the cost... Realistically getting a lot more boat too, don't get me wrong, but still... :D :p

Twin 400 on a 24xs? You sure about that?

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Need to make one with the hydraulic front deck like the new fire boat to raise it up when the water gets rough
I always thought something similar too. Like what Wes did with the front end of the Trident.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
Twin 400 on a 24xs? You sure about that?
Maybe not, I don't remember what we had talked about (4 years ago) but it was one of their smaller boats and they said they could do twins.

EDIT: Just looked back at my emails and I do have an email from Thane about a 26 so that was probably the one they said they would do twins on, my bad!

Goodtime$

Reaction score
Just gonnna leave this here. The Placecraft bottom was designed originally for a jet pump. The rest is history. It is a cool boat, not sure about havasu weekends or Parker tow boat shit show.

23 deck jet next to ultra 27 shadow.
52D4F5BF-3842-45BF-B780-4D6FF9BB2FB6.jpeg

twocents

RDP Staff Member
Staff member
Reaction score
If you have your heart set on staying in that 22-23 foot length range in a deckboat for Havasu/Parker use, look at both Domn8er and Shockwave. For Lower River, PlaceCraft. Tahiti, Ultra are okay choices.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
I jear what you are saying on the 450 being overkill, I am not necessarily looking at high speed numbers, I do like wild acceleration but mostly I am looking for good lower tourque of a 8cyl OB as opposed to the 6cyl stuff. I have nieces/nephews and eventually grand kids that I am going to want to toss around on a tube or two. I had heard the 350R and 400R were lacking a bit down low??

I thought if I give up a rear seat, with the 3 person rear bench interior they do, and set the cooler parallel with the side of the boat right behind the pass seat and a lid that hinged on the end. You could get at it inside no problem while under way, and I am 6-2 so I was hoping I could reach over when beached shallow and be able to reach in.

If I were to go 450OB then I would have the cooler recessed into the hatch lid right along the rear stairs so as you go on and off you can help yourself!

If I cant round up an ultra owner to try and confirm its ride I will most likely be going domn8er 22

Compromise is the name of the game, I dont want to play the "I wish I would have" game, that one costs too much money!!
Couple things to consider under that hatch lid is the steering, batteries and shower pump. Throw in a ski pole for tubing and such, you lose a lot of space. This a pic of the latest 400r Shockwave that had a ski pole done.

That big black box is the steering pump, which is one of the reasons I wanted to do a 300r. The 300r can do external hydraulic....not sure if that is the same for the 450.

Also, there is a crap ton of torgue with a 400r even though it is a V6. I had 5 adults, 7 kids and a crap load of gear on mine the last day we were out and the boat had no problem. Rode a little wet because of the speeds we kept and weight in the bow, but all in all.....it was fine.
Resized952020062595095336.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

v6toy4x

Reaction score
I would do a Tahiti.. Todd did a great job on retooling the Placecraft. Very tasteful. And, he pumping them out..

If you have your heart set on staying in that 22-23 foot length range in a deckboat for Havasu/Parker use, look at both Domn8er and Shockwave. For Lower River, PlaceCraft. Tahiti, Ultra are okay choices.

Not Havasu, I am northern CA we get some windy afternoons nothing like what havasu has to offer!!

Last edited:

v6toy4x

Reaction score
Just gonnna leave this here. The Placecraft bottom was designed originally for a jet pump. The rest is history. It is a cool boat, not sure about havasu weekends or Parker tow boat shit show.

23 deck jet next to ultra 27 shadow.
View attachment 897774

Where would you say the 277 falls in here? I don't suppose you have a pic of the 277 next to your 23?

Thx

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Couple things to consider under that hatch lid is the steering, batteries and shower pump. Throw in a ski pole for tubing and such, you lose a lot of space. This a pic of the latest 400r Shockwave that had a ski pole done.

That big black box is the steering pump, which is one of the reasons I wanted to do a 300r. The 300r can do external hydraulic....not sure if that is the same for the 450.

Also, there is a crap ton of torgue with a 400r even though it is a V6. I had 5 adults, 7 kids and a crap load of gear on mine the last day we were out and the boat had no problem. Rode a little wet because of the speeds we kept and weight in the bow, but all in all.....it was fine.
View attachment 897783

The verados are inline 6's.
I jear what you are saying on the 450 being overkill, I am not necessarily looking at high speed numbers, I do like wild acceleration but mostly I am looking for good lower tourque of a 8cyl OB as opposed to the 6cyl stuff. I have nieces/nephews and eventually grand kids that I am going to want to toss around on a tube or two. I had heard the 350R and 400R were lacking a bit down low??

I thought if I give up a rear seat, with the 3 person rear bench interior they do, and set the cooler parallel with the side of the boat right behind the pass seat and a lid that hinged on the end. You could get at it inside no problem while under way, and I am 6-2 so I was hoping I could reach over when beached shallow and be able to reach in.

If I were to go 450OB then I would have the cooler recessed into the hatch lid right along the rear stairs so as you go on and off you can help yourself!

If I cant round up an ultra owner to try and confirm its ride I will most likely be going domn8er 22

Compromise is the name of the game, I dont want to play the "I wish I would have" game, that one costs too much money!!
One of the great things about outboards is it's super easy to swap props (can trim the motor out of the water on the beach and swap props. Done it many times). Run a cruiser/tow prop when a heavy load is there or water sports are on the agenda and have a speed prop whenever you want to do a speed run every now and then.

A small pitch prop will jump most any boat right up on plane.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
The verados are inline 6's.One of the great things about outboards is it's super easy to swap props (can trim the motor out of the water on the beach and swap props. Done it many times). Run a cruiser/tow prop when a heavy load is there or water sports are on the agenda and have a speed prop whenever you want to do a speed run every now and then.

A small pitch prop will jump most any boat right up on plane.

Supercharged inline 6

v6toy4x

Reaction score

View attachment 897783

That battery and pole socket is very nice!!

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
That battery and pole socket is very nice!!
It is nice, but takes away a ton of storage space. We have a 36 pack AO back there that holds all of our sandwiches, fruit and veggies. And then on top of that a tube and 2 boogie boards. We have 2 - 24 pack AO under each helm and the back cushions in the bow are on hinges. One cooler is kid drinks and the other is adult drinks.

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
I’m probably spoiled by the bigger boats, but my in-laws have a Shadow 23 deck. On smooth water it’s okay, but in some chop or even with wakes coming off of other boats, forget it. I’ve come out of my seat and had my spine temporarily shortened by an inch or two more than once in that thing.

You’ll also get wet. In rougher water, the spray coming off the sponsons and down the center of the boat toward the back seats is enough to give the rear passengers a decent hose down.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Yeah. Baby blower! Lol! Cause Merc does offer a four stroke V6 line as well of up to 225 horse.

Running 62 at 4900 RPM making 8lbs of boost, isn't bad......

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I’m probably spoiled by the bigger boats, but my in-laws have a Shadow 23 deck. On smooth water it’s okay, but in some chop or even with wakes coming off of other boats, forget it. I’ve come out of my seat and had my spine temporarily shortened by an inch or two more than once in that thing.

You’ll also get wet. In rougher water, the spray coming off the sponsons and down the center of the boat toward the back seats is enough to give the rear passengers a decent hose down.

This..

v6toy4x

Reaction score
It is nice, but takes away a ton of storage space. We have a 36 pack AO back there that holds all of our sandwiches, fruit and veggies. And then on top of that a tube and 2 boogie boards. We have 2 - 24 pack AO under each helm and the back cushions in the bow are on hinges. One cooler is kid drinks and the other is adult drinks.

The front seat backs on hinges makes the helm storage much more useable, any pics of them open?

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
The front seat backs on hinges makes the helm storage much more useable, any pics of them open?
I don't, sorry. Will try and grab some next week when we are out. Also under the helm is where our sub boxes are. 1 - 10" on each side, glassed in. It is super clean.

v6toy4x

Reaction score

I am "older" and just dont want 28' deck boat size, no argument they are comfortable and handle the rough much better. We boat on smaller lakes so the rough water is in frequent. I was hoping to be convinced the Ultra 23 would work, sounds like not.

I really want the vtx but unless I plan on being buried in it, wife says too much$

v6toy4x

Reaction score
I don't, sorry. Will try and grab some next week when we are out. Also under the helm is where our sub boxes are. 1 - 10" on each side, glassed in. It is super clean.

If you get a chance I appreciate it, sometimes I enjoy the research before the hunt as much as the kill!!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I am "older" and just dont want 28' deck boat size, no argument they are comfortable and handle the rough much better. We boat on smaller lakes so the rough water is in frequent. I was hoping to be convinced the Ultra 23 would work, sounds like not.

I really want the vtx but unless I plan on being buried in it, wife says too much$

Why not look at 21-25’ vees? In my opinion they are gonna do everything better than one of these little decks

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score

One big advantage the Shadow 23 that my in-laws has is that it is easy for them to manage. They are late 60s-early 70s and have no problem loading it with stuff or getting it on and off the trailer. The access at the front without really having to climb over anything is really key for them. For that reason, it’s probably a good idea for anybody who is “older” and looking for a simplified boating experience to stick with a boat that has that easy front access.

If you boat only on smaller smoother lakes, then it could be workable. Any decent wake coming off another boat will get your attention though.

You might consider something a little bigger that’s a little higher out of the water. Maybe some sort of 26-ish deck?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
One big advantage the Shadow 23 that my in-laws has is that it is easy for them to manage. They are late 60s-early 70s and have no problem loading it with stuff or getting it on and off the trailer. The access at the front without really having to climb over anything is really key for them. For that reason, it’s probably a good idea for anybody who is “older” and looking for a simplified boating experience to stick with a boat that has that easy front access.

If you boat only on smaller smoother lakes, then it could be workable. Any decent wake coming off another boat will get your attention though.

You might consider something a little bigger that’s a little higher out of the water. Maybe some sort of 26-ish deck?

theres boats in that size range that ride better than the 23.. Even the 21 Ultra runs better than the 23 I believe

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
theres boats in that size range that ride better than the 23.. Even the 21 Ultra runs better than the 23 I believe

Definitely possible. I can only speak to the 23 though. Each time I’ve bought a new boat, I got a bigger one than the one before it and have been happier each time. Rough water has become less and less of a problem with each upgrade, but that’s just one thing that could be more important to me (I boat on Mohave) than it is to others. Just makes me a fan of going bigger if possible, but manageability has definitely gotten more difficult each time too. The 23 is definitely very manageable and as people get older, that’s a huge consideration. But go to use it on any water that has a tendency to be anything other than flat and I definitely don’t recommend it. If there’s a 21 that handles the rough stuff better, then that could certainly be the best of both worlds for V6toy4x.

v6toy4x

Reaction score
Why not look at 21-25’ vees? In my opinion they are gonna do everything better than one of these little decks

I have a V now and I dont want to have to keep climb in and out over the bow anymore, I want to beach, hand out the ezup and chairs by setting them on the fornt and then just walking out. If I need something out of the boat I just walk on and back off, laziness would be another term!! seems so much more convenient. I prefer the smaller size for the simplicity of storing, launchng, power to weight ratio($) etc. and our lakes only have the occasional heavy seas.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
I have a V now and I dont want to have to keep climb in and out over the bow anymore, I want to beach, hand out the ezup and chairs by setting them on the fornt and then just walking out. If I need something out of the boat I just walk on and back off, laziness would be another term!! seems so much more convenient. I prefer the smaller size for the simplicity of storing, launchng, power to weight ratio($) etc. and our lakes only have the occasional heavy seas.
Sounds to me like you need a pontoon.😂😂😂

v6toy4x

Reaction score

This is one of the mian reasons, though I am not in a wheel chair yet I hope to still be boating when I am. This will be the last boat I buy and at some point selling will be based on physically being able to handle it so the smaller the boat the longer I can boat, maybe!

I would love a 26er if I could find one in the "mid" free board size (DOMN8ER 22ish) but it seems like other than the howard 255 they are all bigger than I want or need for where we boat. The 255 is the answer but not a wise financial move until they start showing up used. There was one here a few weeks ago for 150 but I cant pull the trigger until end of summer most likely, so I got a few months to kick some tire via the interweb!

v6toy4x

Reaction score
Sounds to me like you need a pontoon.😂😂😂

One of our boating couples just took that plunge, I am not willing to go that route. Unless we can do the dual 450s!! for 150, dont think that is happening!

v6toy4x

Reaction score
Where do you primarily boat at in Nor Cal.
Camanche the most then pedro, occasional i.e. once a year would be mcClure, hogan, melones or Oroville (so long as we dont blow the dam!!)

v6toy4x

Reaction score
Definitely possible. I can only speak to the 23 though. Each time I’ve bought a new boat, I got a bigger one than the one before it and have been happier each time. Rough water has become less and less of a problem with each upgrade, but that’s just one thing that could be more important to me (I boat on Mohave) than it is to others. Just makes me a fan of going bigger if possible, but manageability has definitely gotten more difficult each time too. The 23 is definitely very manageable and as people get older, that’s a huge consideration. But go to use it on any water that has a tendency to be anything other than flat and I definitely don’t recommend it. If there’s a 21 that handles the rough stuff better, then that could certainly be the best of both worlds for V6toy4x.

manageability--that is a word I would use, along with storing.

v6toy4x

Reaction score
I was considering the tahiti 277 as it "looks more low profile" but dont have anything to really compare to, not too many pics on the webs, I think there were the two original placecrafts and one tahiti with another on the way? I think I have all 15 pictures on the internet in a file😃

If i could get Todd to post a pic with his 277 in between his 23 and that 27 shadow for perspective maybe the 277 is an option.

Attachments

• 05A613E9-F7DD-4CA8-A1B0-3090940F31AB-scaled.jpeg
    05A613E9-F7DD-4CA8-A1B0-3090940F31AB-scaled.jpeg
    404.2 KB · Views: 122

22hotkat

Reaction score
I have a 22' Placecraft deck with tabs, basically the same thing. Not a fun ride in 2' chop, great lower river or smooth lakes. The Wake surf assholes add an even worse dimension. if you want to surf go to the ocean and save $200k

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score

A VTX is $150k-$160k with 520 power. A new build Ultra 23 isn't going to be that much cheaper I would think, plus the Howard will hold value better. You can even save money and run the 8.2 in the VTX. It saw mid 70's with that package. Hull is super efficient.

E4L

Reaction score
Camanche the most then pedro, occasional i.e. once a year would be mcClure, hogan, melones or Oroville (so long as we dont blow the dam!!)

Come ride on mine. I go to pedro every weekend. Your welcome to come for a ride

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

E4L

Reaction score
A few pics
IMG_1715.jpg

IMG_1713.jpg

IMG_1710.jpg

E4L

Reaction score

I like having the walk off on the front. I think it’s a cool boat for smaller lakes. For what I do it’s good like said above you do get the occasional spray off the front but it’s always when your getting hot so it’s like having a perfect misting system lol.

blue wonder

Reaction score
Ok so here’s my 2 cents, RUN from a 23’ Ultra Shadow deck!!!...number one they are cheaply built, number 2 THEY RIDE LIKE SHIT!!!!....so the story is, my wife’s best friend bought one “with her boyfriend” so after they broke up a couple months later she has no idea how to hook up a boat, tow a boat, drive a boat nothing so for about a year and a half I would take her to the river in her boat cause she wanted to use it and my Daytona was broken so I thought what the hell :)...long story short it is the worst riding boat I’ve ever been in my life unless you go on a Tuesday morning with no one else on the river and it’s complete glass, other than that it’s complete shit, STAY CLEAR!!!
839F9C26-84B8-4D54-84B6-C02D12F271F3.jpeg

v6toy4x

Reaction score
I like having the walk off on the front. I think it’s a cool boat for smaller lakes. For what I do it’s good like said above you do get the occasional spray off the front but it’s always when your getting hot so it’s like having a perfect misting system lol.

I am actually doing our annual "GUYS" trip to pedro next weekend fri-sun shore camping at either the sand island just outside of party cove (waterfall) or at the day use area with the pooper headed form waterfall towards the canyon, just past the powerlines. Should see 4 boats and a crap load of ez ups and tents. I will be in this. If you are around i will buy you a beer or a crown and coke!!

Attachments

• IMG_0796.JPG
    IMG_0796.JPG
    150.1 KB · Views: 99
  • pedro 2019-1.JPG
    pedro 2019-1.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 98

v6toy4x

Reaction score
Ok so here’s my 2 cents, RUN from a 23’ Ultra Shadow deck!!!...number one they are cheaply built, number 2 THEY RIDE LIKE SHIT!!!!....so the story is, my wife’s best friend bought one “with her boyfriend” so after they broke up a couple months later she has no idea how to hook up a boat, tow a boat, drive a boat nothing so for about a year and a half I would take her to the river in her boat cause she wanted to use it and my Daytona was broken so I thought what the hell :)...long story short it is the worst riding boat I’ve ever been in my life unless you go on a Tuesday morning with no one else on the river and it’s complete glass, other than that it’s complete shit, STAY CLEAR!!!
View attachment 897820

I saw your post trying to sell it, and have many pics of it saved for reference. Did it sell?
first hand experience is what I came for, so even though it is not what i want to hear thanks.
I think I have thinned the hurd,

DOMN8ER 22 to stay on the small side with some compromises
HOWARD 255 If I want to brake the bank for a boat
NORDIC 26 may be an option I need to take a longer look but I think it gets me back to taller than I want

Thank You

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
I saw your post trying to sell it, and have many pics of it saved for reference. Did it sell?
first hand experience is what I came for, so even though it is not what i want to hear thanks.

NORDIC 26 may be an option I need to take a longer look but I think it gets me back to taller than I want

Thank You
28 Conquest should be on your list. They have a low stance. Walk off is super easy.

v6toy4x

Reaction score
A VTX is $150k-$160k with 520 power. A new build Ultra 23 isn't going to be that much cheaper I would think, plus the Howard will hold value better. You can even save money and run the 8.2 in the VTX. It saw mid 70's with that package. Hull is super efficient.

I priced it with them and they come a little on the sparce side as far as std goes, but with the basics like bimini and the ski pole, basic tunes and the 520/XR I hit 175 without batting an eye. That's a big pill to swallow for me, I aint one of these big ballers!, I am trying to convince the wife we need a new motorhome to go with it, but if I drop 175 on a boat it will be a cold day in hell or divorce court before i get a new motorhome!! God damn compromises!!

The VTX 8.2 is a possible solution especially if I can convince myself the std bravo will live a long happy life and I dont need hyd steering that cuts a few $$

blue wonder

Reaction score

Thank You
Yes it did finally sell, good luck with your boat hunting :)

E4L

Reaction score
I am actually doing our annual "GUYS" trip to pedro next weekend fri-sun shore camping at either the sand island just outside of party cove (waterfall) or at the day use area with the pooper headed form waterfall towards the canyon, just past the powerlines. Should see 4 boats and a crap load of ez ups and tents. I will be in this. If you are around i will buy you a beer or a crown and coke!!

I have the shockwave 22 for the record. For where we boat which is 95% pedro I think it is perfect. Next boat will be our 255 speedster i just can’t wait for our build times I’m impatient.

v6toy4x

Reaction score
28 Conquest should be on your list. They have a low stance. Walk off is super easy.

I did not look at conquest I will now thx
Yes it did finally sell, good luck with your boat hunting :)

sometimes the hunt is the funnest part, I have to keep bringing myself back to the priorities, 28fters just dont work for towing the nieces/nephews and some day grandkids, i gotta try and stay 22-25, with med freeboard.

THX