WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

ULTRA 23 SHADOW DECK OWNERS-rough water

v6toy4x

Reaction score
I have the shockwave 22 for the record. For where we boat which is 95% pedro I think it is perfect. Next boat will be our 255 speedster i just can’t wait for our build times I’m impatient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SPEEDSTER TWINS!!!

Bullet28

Nor Cal Delta
Reaction score
Camanche the most then pedro, occasional i.e. once a year would be mcClure, hogan, melones or Oroville (so long as we dont blow the dam!!)

Gotcha, wasn’t sure if you boated in the Delta or not. You‘re right the foothill lakes can kick up a bit at times. The Shockwave like Joe has ‘’ OldSchoolBoats ‘’ would be one I would really look at.

Ray

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I have a V now and I dont want to have to keep climb in and out over the bow anymore, I want to beach, hand out the ezup and chairs by setting them on the fornt and then just walking out. If I need something out of the boat I just walk on and back off, laziness would be another term!! seems so much more convenient. I prefer the smaller size for the simplicity of storing, launchng, power to weight ratio($) etc. and our lakes only have the occasional heavy seas.

If look for an older play craft toon with a 250.. they will run 50’ish mph and be very convenient

E4L

Reaction score
If look for an older play craft toon with a 250.. they will run 50’ish mph and be very convenient

I would rather have the 22 shockwave deck with the LSA jet more fun.

v6toy4x

Reaction score

I just cant bring my self to have a toon as my only boat, If I had a place on the water I wouldn't mind it as a second "ride"

Reactions: E4L

E4L

Reaction score
I just cant bring my self to have a toon as my only boat, If I had a place on the water I wouldn't mind it as a second "ride"

Sent you a pm

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I would rather have the 22 shockwave deck with the LSA jet more fun.

more fun but not as capable in water conditions, storage, seating capacity, convenience., cost... lol

CobraDave

Reaction score
I boat only on Havasu with my 22 Shockwave. I constantly get comments of how good the ride is. I DO think it is a boat you need seat time to figure out the smoothest way to operate it. It’s not a “just push the sticks forward and forget” type boat. It rides ten times better than my 23 Cobra did.

In the open lake on a weekend you are going to have to take it slow and it will beat you up a little. I’ve been across the lake on some HUGE days and the front end can be an issue with taking water. However, if you trim up and go slow during that bow rise just prior to planing, there is no issues. But same weekend up river or down it does just fine for me. With a cat it’s much smoother crossing wakes. The wake boats are the biggest enemy and I have to watch out for them and cross their wakes before I get too close. Either way I slow way down and cross nice and easy.

It does get a spray from time to time, normally in busier conditions when the chop is higher. I’ve never thought it was a problem, actually it is welcomed. The tabs have been fun to figure out and I find it a necessity on this boat. It’s probably why they come standard. Storage isn’t that great on it. I think the way the cushions in the bow flip up are stupid. It’s hard to reach in there but the storage is nice.

The boat handles really well, tows tubes great, the 6.2 350 is powerful, and it will do 65mph for sure. This things sips gas and is small enough to dock and trailer easily and doesn’t take a gallon of Hot Sauce to clean. Perfect boat for us.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Sounds like you need a Trident Revolution.

E4L

Reaction score
more fun but not as capable in water conditions, storage, seating capacity, convenience., cost... lol

Storage is pretty good I was suprised.

Goodtime$

Reaction score
We built a 23 shadow deck for a customer last year and it’s a much different boat than our 23 deck.

For the record. The 22 shockwave is a 22 placecraft with an updated deck.
The 23 tahiti is a 22 Placecraft with swimstep.
We use the same trailers.

The 277 is huge. We just call it the 277 because we have 2 other 28 deck molds

Best pic I could find. It’s the boat at the end
AB29A9C0-0BEC-491E-98F4-ED60D41B4A83.jpeg

Goodtime$

Reaction score
The best entry level tunnel boat easy to use is a 25 Daytona open bow for Lake Havasu. Just my option, a 25’ vee would be even easier minus the sandbar jump off bow deal.

The 23 Domn8er is a good option. The bottom came from a magic fish pontoon style project that died in the recession. I like the rear walk way

v6toy4x

Reaction score
We built a 23 shadow deck for a customer last year and it’s a much different boat than our 23 deck.

For the record. The 22 shockwave is a 22 placecraft with an updated deck.
The 23 tahiti is a 22 Placecraft with swimstep.
We use the same trailers.

The 277 is huge. We just call it the 277 because we have 2 other 28 deck molds

Best pic I could find. It’s the boat at the end View attachment 898036

Thanks for the pic, it tells me what I need, probably too big for me and the wife in another 3-5 years, too big to pull the youngins. I do enjoy that!
I saw the ultra you did, grey with green I believe, I got the pics stored. Definitely different hull, l like the low in the water for access from outside while beached and low overall ht on trailer for grabbing stuff out and cleaning etc. I also liked the extra length behind the front seats to allow a dedicted cooler spot and a wide enough beam they could squeak that narrow rear jump seat and call it a walk out. But I am convinced it is not going to ride nice in our northern CA lakes when the wind kicks up.

I love the placecraft hulls but I think too narrow for a rear walk out? That was the impression I got when looking at the shockwave at the LA show this last year.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
The best entry level tunnel boat easy to use is a 25 Daytona open bow for Lake Havasu. Just my option, a 25’ vee would be even easier minus the sandbar jump off bow deal.

The 23 Domn8er is a good option. The bottom came from a magic fish pontoon style project that died in the recession. I like the rear walk way
Todd, this is always something I've really respected you for. You share positive opinions of other manufacturer's boats even when one of yours is in the same discussion. It's great to see.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

v6toy4x

Reaction score

For starters I want to aknowledge that most people in business do not recommend their competition. I am in construction and consider myself honest and etihical but I rarely steer a potential customer to the competition, so when you make a recommendation like that I listen to what you have to say.

I will look at some daytona 25s maybe it fits the bill!

The domn8er is on the list, probably the front runner, the thru transom exhaust is a problem with mamma, too loud-maybe mufflers or some turn downs like the nordic 26 deck?
I am not hugely excited on the side profile, it looks "plump" I guess is the term I think of. Starts off tall in the rear and tapers from the bottom up and top down consistently to a point the "helms" put a bit of definition to the top "line" but it lacks what I think of as a hip or some sort of curve line running down the top edge. IMO the gel design can help a lot on these.

If I was a baller like these other folks the 255VTX from howard is the boat. But for what I need to pay over say the domn8er its hard to justify.

What are your thoughts on the V8 450 OB on any of these smaller decks, too much? Do I need that V8 low end for tubing the kids. It would definitely have bragging rights, that is worth a beer or two amongst my "crew"! It also takes away the thru transom exhaust noise and adds storage.

Thanks for your input, now get back to work and crank out some more boats! PICS, PICS. PICS, I am still watching that white blue and black 277

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
For starters I want to aknowledge that most people in business do not recommend their competition. I am in construction and consider myself honest and etihical but I rarely steer a potential customer to the competition, so when you make a recommendation like that I listen to what you have to say.

I will look at some daytona 25s maybe it fits the bill!

The domn8er is on the list, probably the front runner, the thru transom exhaust is a problem with mamma, too loud-maybe mufflers or some turn downs like the nordic 26 deck?
I am not hugely excited on the side profile, it looks "plump" I guess is the term I think of. Starts off tall in the rear and tapers from the bottom up and top down consistently to a point the "helms" put a bit of definition to the top "line" but it lacks what I think of as a hip or some sort of curve line running down the top edge. IMO the gel design can help a lot on these.

If I was a baller like these other folks the 255VTX from howard is the boat. But for what I need to pay over say the domn8er its hard to justify.

What are your thoughts on the V8 450 OB on any of these smaller decks, too much? Do I need that V8 low end for tubing the kids. It would definitely have bragging rights, that is worth a beer or two amongst my "crew"! It also takes away the thru transom exhaust noise and adds storage.

Thanks for your input, now get back to work and crank out some more boats! PICS, PICS. PICS, I am still watching that white blue and black 277
A 300r would be more than enough to do watersports with the kids. 450r is awesome, but after pricing out a new domn8er with a 300r before buying my Shockwave, you will be at as much or maybe more than the Howard to run the 450r on that boat.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

NicPaus

Reaction score
The Howard is a perfect size for Parker and watersports. I have seen a few out and they are very nice. I followed 1 on my ski last trip and nice clean crisp wake for wakeboarding.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
A VTX is $150k-$160k with 520 power. A new build Ultra 23 isn't going to be that much cheaper I would think, plus the Howard will hold value better. You can even save money and run the 8.2 in the VTX. It saw mid 70's with that package. Hull is super efficient.

If all you are going to get the the standard 8.2, just save even more cash and get the 350 horsepower 6.2. It runs the same speeds as an 8.2 and gets 1/3 better fuel mileage doing it.

Last edited:

v6toy4x

Reaction score
A 300r would be more than enough to do watersports with the kids. 450r is awesome, but after pricing out a new domn8er with a 300r before buying my Shockwave, you will be at as much or maybe more than the Howard to run the 450r on that boat.

I have been looking for real 450R pricing, only found the marketing stuff of 54,000-64,000 I think, and also that they were 50% more than the 400, which in and of itself makes no $$ sense.
I got some pricing from domn8er 520/XR and with the 400R, when I did a quick 50% over the 400 the number wasn't a whole lot over 100,000?
I emailed domn8er today for rough pricing and opinion on running the 450R. I would miss the low rumbling, loping 520 idle that makes the back of my neck tickle!! but it solves the noise problem for the wife, while adding a fair amount more storage.

To be honest there is still the gear head part of me that wants big and bad, maybe something the other guy doesn't have, of course my big and bad compared to the regulars on here is more like tiddly winks. Then the old age , fiscally responsible part is trying to hold me back. I think you said it--its all about compromise. I also dont want to regret later, I tend to hold on to my stuff for 10-15 years so this will be the last one most likely.

If I recall was it you that posted having steering issue, loosing all the fluid? Can I ask what that ended up being?

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
I have been looking for real 450R pricing, only found the marketing stuff of 54,000-64,000 I think, and also that they were 50% more than the 400, which in and of itself makes no $$ sense.
I got some pricing from domn8er 520/XR and with the 400R, when I did a quick 50% over the 400 the number wasn't a whole lot over 100,000?
I emailed domn8er today for rough pricing and opinion on running the 450R. I would miss the low rumbling, loping 520 idle that makes the back of my neck tickle!! but it solves the noise problem for the wife, while adding a fair amount more storage.

To be honest there is still the gear head part of me that wants big and bad, maybe something the other guy doesn't have, of course my big and bad compared to the regulars on here is more like tiddly winks. Then the old age , fiscally responsible part is trying to hold me back. I think you said it--its all about compromise. I also dont want to regret later, I tend to hold on to my stuff for 10-15 years so this will be the last one most likely.

If I recall was it you that posted having steering issue, loosing all the fluid? Can I ask what that ended up being?
Did you say fiscally responsible and boat in the same sentence? 😂😂😂

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

The speed per dollar increase of the 450 over the 400 is not worth it from a money perspective.

I think the 400 will basically run with a 520. and that is for the .001% of the time you are going for a top speed run. The reality is with anyone else in the boat you aren’t going to be going over 70. maybe a blast to 80 but everyone but you will be miserable at that speed in that boat. Remember that all the wind goes through a deck boat.

You want to be big and bad, get the
outboard. You want to buy a boat just for the sound it makes and have a higher cost of ownership, get the 520.

If you are being “responsible” the 300r is the best choice, it will do mid 70s with a long warranty and low maintenance costs.

Last edited:

v6toy4x

Reaction score
If all you are going to get the the standard 8.2, just save even more cash and get the 350 horsepower 6.2. It runs the same speeds as an 8.2 and gets 1/3 better fuel mileage doing it.

Isn't a 6.2/350hp in a Howard breaking some sort of code? If I were to go howard it would probably have to be 520 to not be embarrassed!!

I am much more aware now of what you havasu guys spend in boats. I am glad I don't live in that neck of the woods and have to keep up with you JONES's!!
Everytime I cringe at the cost sheet for the 255 I think how little the number is compared to the 288s, SPEEDSTERS, twin 450 toons DAMN!!

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Isn't a 6.2/350hp in a Howard breaking some sort of code? If I were to go howard it would probably have to be 520 to not be embarrassed!!

I am much more aware now of what you havasu guys spend in boats. I am glad I don't live in that neck of the woods and have to keep up with you JONES's!!
Everytime I cringe at the cost sheet for the 255 I think how little the number is compared to the 288s, SPEEDSTERS, twin 450 toons DAMN!!

The first few 255s had the 350HP 6.2 in them. The one River Dave tested here had that engine in it.

Nothing wrong with the 520, and there is no need to be embarrassed by having a small block.. the boat will do mid 70s with the 350 6.2.

$130k was too much for me to spend on a 25 foot boat with a 6.2 though. But they set the price at what they though the market would bear.

v6toy4x

Reaction score
The speed per dollar increase of the 450 over the 400 is not worth it from a money perspective.
I agree, I just have heard and read the 350 and 400 inlines were significantly down on torque compared to even the 300r, others have disagreed.
Then I still have a hard time understanding how a 300hp outboard can run close to a 450+hp big block, even with the weight reduction?
Combining those is what gets me to the 450, outboard wieght, more storage and a performance level that in my mind is equal to or better than a 520 when calculating weight on a 3300ish lb boat. I used the 520/xr at about 1250lbs and the 450OB at 700 for a 550lb reduction and then calculated hp/lb I could be off on the 520 combo??

I think the 400 will basically run with a 520.
I could believe top end would be close but torque out of the whole, loaded boat, pulling kids etc I dont know if it equates, this was actually going to be part 2 of my question once I narrow in on a boat model.

and that is for the .001% of the time you are going for a top speed run. The reality is with anyone else in the boat you aren’t going to be going over 70. maybe a blast to 80 but everyone but you will be miserable at that speed in that boat. Remember that all the wind goes through a deck boat.
This I agree 100% I would probably "test the top end" a few times initially and then 1% chance of doing it again, but knowing you can is always nice!!

You want to be big and bad, get the
outboard. You want to buy a boat just for the sound it makes and have a higher cost of ownership, get the 520.
At 10 am this morning I was made up on some outboard on the domn8er 22 and had sent an email for updated pricing but then by noon I was re evaluating the howard and a 520 after seeing a nice you tube video of it turning circles and as soon as the ass end points to the camera my neck starts tingling.

If you are being “responsible” the 300r is the best choice, it will do mid 70s with a long warranty and low maintenance costs.
I just have a hard time believing a 300hp OB is going to push a domn8er22 to mid 70s, I have yet to see one with the 300r. If I can get Dori to confirm mid 70s with the 300 that would be on the table for sure.

I cant type fast enough to keep up with you! comments in your text above

v6toy4x

Reaction score

I really like the re tooled nose, my question on this and the tahiti is can the rear seat layout be modified or is it locked in by the mold?
I think the beam width is 89??
-First can you narrow the engine hatch on one side and put in a rear walk out? That is one of my wifes "must haves" and you know "happy wife happy life"
-Second is storage for larger ticket items
--cooler, I do not like accessing under seat built ins
--BBQ, gotta BBQ my suasages and links!!
--ez up and 8 chairs, in mine and my wifes family we are the only ones with a boat so when we invite any of the family it means a full load.
--the enormous oversized 3 man tube the nieces and nephews insist on plus the other floaty towing toys
--10 life vests and towels
--second smaller cooler for the days lunch and my sausages along with the snack bag!!
I think the domn8er at the full 102 has an advantage??

Just another reason I started this thread, I may be asking for too much!

Ultra912

Reaction score
A member here had a surf boat pass him and his sunk from the waves. Where you at Bob?
Here I am. Rather than type out the whole story,,,,,,that was a great boat on the river. Bought it new and had it 12 years. I does NOT handle the chop well at all. Low freeboard and bow is tooooo light for the chop. You can sit people on the bow but they then are splattered with water. Stay away from rollbar (wake) boats. One swell from one of these sank mine in 3 minutes when a swell went over my bow.

Ultra912

Reaction score
I read that post, rear hatch open with 10 people in the boat, roll bar cruised by and filled it up!!
If the 23 had about 6- 8 more inches of freeboard I would feel a lot better
No, 6 people on board. Engine hatch did not open. The swell went right over the bow like a tsunami sank the entire boat in 3 minutes.

Last edited:

Bullet28

Nor Cal Delta
Reaction score
I really like the re tooled nose, my question on this and the tahiti is can the rear seat layout be modified or is it locked in by the mold?
-First can you narrow the engine hatch on one side and put in a rear walk out? That is one of my wifes "must haves" and you know "happy wife happy life"
--ez up and 8 chairs, in mine and my wifes family we are the only ones with a boat so when we invite any of the family it means a full load.
--the enormous oversized 3 man tube the nieces and nephews insist on plus the other floaty towing toys
--second smaller cooler for the days lunch and my sausages along with the snack bag!!

Just having some fun with you, you need a way way bigger boat again just having a little lol.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I cant type fast enough to keep up with you! comments in your text above

The supercharged 350 and especially the 400 6 cylinders make more power across a broader RPM range than the NA 300R V8, period.

It will take a 520 to get a boat you are speaking of into the 80s. A 8.2 HO gets you close to 80. @OldSchoolBoats has this type of boat with a 400 and hits 80 and it’s still got a little left like he described.

The outboard is simply more efficient. The weight is in the right spot, further back, and with a jackplate you can precisely dial it in for maximum speed. These are things you simply cannot do with a truck engine, and you are fighting physics.

Takeoff and planing is not going to be a problem with the outboard, it is simply a function of drive gearing. The supercharged 350, 400, or 450 is going to make max torque across a huge swath of RPM. People put these 300-450 supercharged outboards on 28’ pontoons loaded with people and have no issues. Your 22’ deckboat will pop right out of the water and go.

I have a 23’ V bottom with a small block. It planes exactly like the same boat with a big block that a couple friends have. Honestly with 4 people in each, mine seems to plane a little faster. This is probably just a function of less weight and weight placement. That said we have not officially timed anything either.

v6toy4x

Reaction score
Todd,
your 266 looks possible? Not sure If I should ask the questions here or over in its thread??

I am going to ask over there, more beneficial to you?
F9E84C70-F996-476D-BD88-F448831C5799.jpeg

Ultra912

Reaction score
81382867-A847-42CC-B451-0BB1A9C7E26C.jpeg

Bought new 2006. This boat was a looker and always turned heads. I loved the shit out of it but around 2010 the lake got busier and the chop grew larger. The wind was dictating what I could and could not do on the lake. Sittin in a cove all day gets boring. Gel coat was repaired in the rear under the bulkhead in 2016. Sank it in 2018 and after they retrieved it out of the water the bulkhead was again damaged with an enormous crack. Just wasn't designed for the lake chop. Great on the river though. Not knocking Ultra. The gel was beautiful,,,,just isn't designed for chop.

Last edited:

v6toy4x

Reaction score
Just having some fun with you, you need a way way bigger boat again just having a little lol.
LOL

Me and the wife did "drive it" on the floor at the LA show this year, motorboat sounds and all!!

Ultra912

Reaction score
74BDBF0E-1C1F-42B3-B1A7-F2B63ED410D3.jpeg

496 Mag was perfect power. 65 MPH with 2 people and a 24p bravo I

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

Just buy a pontoon boat already :)

CobraDave

Reaction score

No way all that stuff is fitting in a 22 Deck. Ez up would have to just be on the floor in the bow. For coolers I use to of the biggest AO soft coolers and put them at the feet of the driver and passenger. The foot area goes in pretty deep so it fits pretty good. They come out where we are parked and sit in the bow area.

v6toy4x

Reaction score
I have seen it out since. Wish I could of bought it but found another good deal. Did not get a chance to talk to the new owners. Was wondering if they even knew it sunk.

I start typing and miss everything SUNK??

Nevermind I missed your earlier posts, sorry!

v6toy4x

Reaction score
View attachment 898117

Bought new 2006. This boat was a looker and always turned heads. I loved the shit out of it but around 2010 the lake got busier and the chop grew larger. The wind was dictating what I could and could not do on the lake. Sittin in a cove all day gets boring. Gel coat was repaired in the rear under the bulkhead in 2016. Sank it in 2018 and after they retrieved it out of the water the bulkhead was again damaged with an enormous crack. Just wasn't designed for the lake chop. Great on the river though. Not knocking Ultra. The gel was beautiful,,,,just isn't designed for chop.

Thank You, my decision is final, sorry for asking for the story again!

Ultra912

Reaction score
I have seen it out since. Wish I could of bought it but found another good deal. Did not get a chance to talk to the new owners. Was wondering if they even knew it sunk.
Where? Havasu? In 12 years I only saw 3 other 23 Shadows.

E4L

Reaction score
Packing all that stuff not on a 22 deck that’s for sure haha

Ultra912

Reaction score
I could have bought it back for 7K but Ultra quoted about 40K to bring it back to life.. I'm enjoying my Shockwave Tremor. The water chop means nothing to it :)

NicPaus

Reaction score
I could have bought it back for 7K but Ultra quoted about 40K to bring it back to life.. I'm enjoying my Shockwave Tremor. The water chop means nothing to it :)
Yeah. When I had a total loss claim on my Ultra 22 the quotes were crazy. Bought it back for $1800 and had a reputable shop fix it like new for 8k. Friend I traded it to sold it for close to 25k. Of course the consignment shop that sold it for him never told the new buyer. No salvage title on boats. Now they are going for even more probably sell for 30k with current market.

Tremor is a great boat! You're happy that's all that matters.

CobraDave

Reaction score
Been re reading all of this and sounds like a 26 Nordic deck is what you need. Get that 520 in it. Make the minimum payments and put all the shit your heart desires in it!

In the garage crank some Tyler Childers, drink a Miller Lite, wipe it down and admire the horsepower in it.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score

You will NEVER get all that stuff into a 22 deck. I mean, you can get most of it in, with an outboard, but if you plan on taking multiple adults and gear out, it isn't the boat for you. We stopped bringing an EZUP out last year and have 5 kids. Now, just 2 umbrellas. We would spend so much time setting the EZ UP up and no one would sit under it. Windy weather, it was just a liability. It stays in the garage now.

It sounds like you need a bigger deck boat or a pontoon. #club22 just won't work with your program unfortunately.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Been re reading all of this and sounds like a 26 Nordic deck is what you need. Get that 520 in it. Make the minimum payments and put all the shit your heart desires in it!

In the garage crank some Tyler Childers, drink a Miller Lite, wipe it down and admire the horsepower in it.

Nailed it. 26 Nordic would be perfect for what type of program they are running. It's not going to be ideal for watersports, but will definitely work.