WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Ultra 344 Shadow

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
What ever happened with these boats? Was there more than two built? Reading on Performance Boats forum from 08’ seems this boat was really on to a good start than .......... NOTHING

530A92C7-AFD4-44FB-BD3B-6A373562AF1A.jpeg
3CFAD1C7-5532-4C0E-BC2C-2FB9D05DA13A.jpeg
BA14F036-E6AA-40B0-A1AB-67C4118666AB.jpeg
B66CD905-CBFF-4EBA-810A-4C9356B91DC1.jpeg
8DC60090-513A-4CCF-A98D-4347DD914884.jpeg
A74D2A2D-23DF-49AF-8C91-59FD8E220103.jpeg
D983CF9F-A930-43F7-AB92-BEB4780F1BD6.jpeg
01236691-ACDC-47CE-85E4-CC6ACBA61FCE.jpeg
E0C5E8A2-48D2-4771-A403-11991AC4917B.jpeg

Singleton

Reaction score
I believe only 2 were built.
The white one went to the Midwest - I think @shippingguy knew the owner at one point. - believe the owner put 496HO’s in it.
The orange one was in Havasu last time I saw it.

Economy really hurt the release of that boat. Fun money went bye bye within 6 months of JW getting the first one (White) built. The orange one was built before JW leased the Ultra name and molds to Rusty.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
The orange one porpoises as bad as any boat I have ever seen.

That could be a setup problem but I remember the first one having that problem as well

4Waters

Reaction score

That could be a setup problem but I remember the first one having that problem as well
Couldn't that be fixed by moving the engines forward a few inches?

shippingguy

2007 Ultra 27 Shadow
Reaction score
The issue on the the white one I know for sure was set up. X dimension was wrong. It had twin Ilmors in it. I remember running in it with JW and Mike Harlan at the regatta one year and it hopped like a wild dolphin, but I think once dialed in it would be an amazing boat! It accelerated HARD!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Singleton

Reaction score

First one had huge problems.
Mike H did the setup and the drives were way too high. At one point they had 3” spacers on the drives and that caused other issues.
First run out when windy as hell at DS, JW launched it 6’ in the air.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Had just read the 14 pages on PB and thought i saw a few of you guys talking about how awesome it worked!

Either way think they are gorgeous

lavey jr

Reaction score
Mike H did the setup and the drives were way too high. At one point they had 3” spacers on the drives and that caused other issues.

EA5AF989-5270-47AB-B1D4-D117C0B7936D.jpeg

Couldn’t find the clear image on this one
C3CF07FE-4FFB-4250-B3FB-1B7A042F6D12.jpeg

attitude

Reaction score
It’s a bummer only two were made, I really like how they look

Singleton

Reaction score
It’s a bummer only two were made, I really like how they look

I remember JW having a 29 rendering done and I think the plug was being developed but it never got finished. Same lines as the 344.

sirbob

Reaction score
any idea if the white one still has the same wrap on it ?

I didn't realize they got 130 out of the first one. :cool:

Singleton

Reaction score
I think the white one is now the orange one?

Nope. 2 separate boats.
The white with wrap is somewhere in the Midwest. The orange with tan interior was the second hull out of the mold (I believe it had the Tres recommended modifications in it).

Last edited:

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
I was looking at the pics in the first post and that was my first thought “holy shit those drives are mounted high!” Not sure how the props even grabbed any water that high.

bluebleeder

Reaction score
It’s not just the drive height. The bottom was all kinds of jacked up. Adrenaline has the mold and is completely reworking the bottom.

Singleton

Reaction score
It’s not just the drive height. The bottom was all kinds of jacked up. Adrenaline has the mold and is completely reworking the bottom.

Tres Martin reviewed the bottom and recommended a ton of changes.
Looking forward to what Adrenaline does

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Nope. 2 separate boats.
The white with wrap is somewhere in the Midwest. The orange with tan interior was the second hull out of the mold (I believe it had the Tres recommended modifications in it).

I’m on pills and drank somewhere between 10-15,000 beers since then.. but I think GT Marine rigged that one.

Singleton

Reaction score
Ultra is building 2 of them
That one is gettIng 700 mercs

I stopped by to say hi

I knew Rusty had 2 on order, but he told me that 2 years ago and never saw any movement so I did not say anything.

Backlash

Reaction score
Looks like they’re doing a full cap...

With bondo....

I had to look again! Some of the 3M vinylester fairing compounds are that offwhite color. Maybe that's what they used instead of Bondo?? I only say that because I've used a tiny bit of the 3M compound on my bucket.

CobraDave

Reaction score
Ouch! Good observation

Goodtime$

Reaction score
Dude i dont think its bondo, i would have heckled rusty when i was there. It was glassed together i know that. They are busy, lots of magics and ultra stuff.
We are fixing a motor issue in a friends 27 shadow, I forgot how deep that boat is inside. Good ole days, jaime sprayed that one.
IMG_8007.jpg
IMG_8010.jpg

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Hilarious i started this thread, then today ran to Shadow to get a new winch for my boat, was pulling out headed to go talk shit with Pedro, the boy started squawking about his seat belt, i pulled into the alley 100% innocently between Shadow and Ultra, glanced over and saw the green one. So i fixed homies straps in his car seat hopped out to look at it, it didn’t look that big, looked big but on the dolly really not as big as i expected. So i asked one dude then Rusty came up and we got talking. I had never met the guy before, and well i already had my opinion made of the guy, but after 10-15 minutes of bullshitting with him, i definitely felt bad when i left cause my opinion was made from others. He seemed extremely just chill, and real open we bullshitted about a few different things the 344 especially, i had to laugh that I’d never seen these boats before, made a thread, then see the boat two days later.
Dude seems like he’s definitely driving to make a legit business, i can see that he truly has a passion for the whole deal. I hope it stays thy way cause if he builds what we talked about I’ll be seriously interested to possibly jump in on the second one.....

Goodtime$

Reaction score
Its all glass. I had to hunt for this pic. Big boat
IMG_6536.jpg

HEY YOU

Reaction score
I thought I saw on Instagram today that Adrenaline Trailers we’re finishing up a trailer for a 34 Ultra
IMG_5005.JPG

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Hilarious i started this thread, then today ran to Shadow to get a new winch for my boat, was pulling out headed to go talk shit with Pedro, the boy started squawking about his seat belt, i pulled into the alley 100% innocently between Shadow and Ultra, glanced over and saw the green one. So i fixed homies straps in his car seat hopped out to look at it, it didn’t look that big, looked big but on the dolly really not as big as i expected. So i asked one dude then Rusty came up and we got talking. I had never met the guy before, and well i already had my opinion made of the guy, but after 10-15 minutes of bullshitting with him, i definitely felt bad when i left cause my opinion was made from others. He seemed extremely just chill, and real open we bullshitted about a few different things the 344 especially, i had to laugh that I’d never seen these boats before, made a thread, then see the boat two days later.
Dude seems like he’s definitely driving to make a legit business, i can see that he truly has a passion for the whole deal. I hope it stays thy way cause if he builds what we talked about I’ll be seriously interested to possibly jump in on the second one.....

Rusty is very open and honest about the whole he dug himself into and how he has been digging his way out of it. It sux that it happened but he is working to be better everyday.

Singleton

Reaction score
That’s a nice excuse for stealing people’s money.

The money never went into his pocket. He tried to open a sales office in the English Village and that F’d cash flow for an extended period of time for the company. My confidence in Rusty was low after hearing the extended build stories, but last time I talked to him and asked about those issues, he was very professional about his response and more or less said it’s between me and that owner.

Another thing to remember, almost all the newer models 28 deck, 344 were built on a very limited basis before Rusty leased the molds. The last 26 deck I saw him build had options / enhancements I only dreamed about when mine was built.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
The money never went into his pocket. He tried to open a sales office in the English Village and that F’d cash flow for an extended period of time for the company. My confidence in Rusty was low after hearing the extended build stories, but last time I talked to him and asked about those issues, he was very professional about his response and more or less said it’s between me and that owner.

Another thing to remember, almost all the newer models 28 deck, 344 were built on a very limited basis before Rusty leased the molds. The last 26 deck I saw him build had options / enhancements I only dreamed about when mine was built.

That is BS. How is he paying himself? I understand it is not against the law to be a poor businessman, but the net-net is that he has taken money and not fulfilled orders over a period of years.

I have 2 friends that invested money into a company that was on Shark Tank. The guy burned through $2M in investor money in less than 3 years (all of this came out on the Shark Tank Episode). He's living in a nice house in Carlsbad, and claims the money didn't go into his pocket either.. but hes talking a healthy salary on the investor's dime. He sounds very professional too.

Reactions: DWC

Singleton

Reaction score
That is BS. How is he paying himself? I understand it is not against the law to be a poor businessman, but the net-net is that he has taken money and not fulfilled orders over a period of years.

I have 2 friends that invested money into a company that was on Shark Tank. The guy burned through $2M in investor money in less than 3 years (all of this came out on the Shark Tank Episode). He's living in a nice house in Carlsbad, and claims the money didn't go into his pocket either.. but hes talking a healthy salary on the investor's dime. He sounds very professional too.

Like I said, Rusty was very professional in his response and has said posting his side of the story will not resolve the issue, only cause more internet drama. I know more details about some of those delayed builds then most. I will not post what I know, since Rusty told me in confidence certain facts and I will respect that.

Last time I checked, an order is only fulfilled when the customer pays what is due for all work completed. My wife runs a bakery as a side business, biggest issue is when someone changes the design after production has begun and does not want to pay for lost work. We have refused delivery of birthday cookies when a parent changed the signed off cookie design 8 hours before delivery and refused to pay additional costs for new cookies produced at time of delivery. Now ask yourself, is that my wife’s fault or the customers. Similar concept in boat building.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Like I said, Rusty was very professional in his response and has said posting his side of the story will not resolve the issue, only cause more internet drama. I know more details about some of those delayed builds then most. I will not post what I know, since Rusty told me in confidence certain facts and I will respect that.

Last time I checked, an order is only fulfilled when the customer pays what is due for all work completed. My wife runs a bakery as a side business, biggest issue is when someone changes the design after production has begun and does not want to pay for lost work. We have refused delivery of birthday cookies when a parent changed the signed off cookie design 8 hours before delivery and refused to pay additional costs for new cookies produced at time of delivery. Now ask yourself, is that my wife’s fault or the customers. Similar concept in boat building.

So Ultra just has dead beat clients then? You said it is a cash flow problem. If he had cash he would finish boats to customer specs and get paid, or sell the completed boats to different customers and still get paid.

My wife has a side business doing custom signs and banners so I know exactly how it goes. Agreed that last minute changes to baked goods are not your wife's fault, but she actually baked the cookies and was intending to deliver them on time and budget. Completely different scenario. No one knows all the details, but the issues Ultra have dealt with are not unique to business, the boat business, or Ultra. Everyone has these challenges. Every business has less than perfect transactions, but when you hear of several all happening at the same time, that is indicative of other problems. If you are robbing Peter to pay Paul, by definition someone is getting robbed. Again if you told me hes not taking a salary trying to make this right, I might have a different opinion. Either way this has gone on for literally years.

Englewood

Reaction score
So Ultra just has dead beat clients then? You said it is a cash flow problem. If he had cash he would finish boats to customer specs and get paid, or sell the completed boats to different customers and still get paid.

My wife has a side business doing custom signs and banners so I know exactly how it goes. Agreed that last minute changes to baked goods are not your wife's fault, but she actually baked the cookies and was intending to deliver them on time and budget. Completely different scenario. No one knows all the details, but the issues Ultra have dealt with are not unique to business, the boat business, or Ultra. Everyone has these challenges. Every business has less than perfect transactions, but when you hear of several all happening at the same time, that is indicative of other problems. If you are robbing Peter to pay Paul, by definition someone is getting robbed. Again if you told me hes not taking a salary trying to make this right, I might have a different opinion. Either way this has gone on for literally years.

He owns an Ultra. He has to make him look good to hopefully keep the value up for his boat. Ultra is now in the Commander/Aftershock realm.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
He owns an Ultra. He has to make him look good to hopefully keep the value up for his boat. Ultra is now in the Commander/Aftershock realm.

I know, he knows, we all know. It does not take anything away from his boat or other Ultras. Look at the value of Magics (not the one made by Ultra lol).

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
That’s a nice excuse for stealing people’s money.

He got himself into a hole no doubt, and he’s climbing out of it slowly but surely.

You are making it sound like there was some intent there. People make mistakes, he made a couple big ones.. The difference is he is not running from them or changing the name and opening up tomorrow. He’s doing his best to own it and fulfill obligations etc.. I hope he overcomes it.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
He got himself into a hole no doubt, and he’s climbing out of it slowly but surely.

You are making it sound like there was some intent there. People make mistakes, he made a couple big ones.. The difference is he is not running from them or changing the name and opening up tomorrow. He’s doing his best to own it and fulfill obligations etc.. I hope he overcomes it.

I hope he overcomes it as well, but intent has nothing to do with it. I'm not saying hes a criminal here. Whether or not stealing makes you a "bad person" is another discussion. It is not illegal to run a business badly.

If you stop paying for your house but continue to live there until you are foreclosed on and forced out, is stealing. If I borrow your car trailer intending to give it back but I never do, that is stealing the trailer, is it not? Where is the trailer sign out sheet again :)?

In 2006 you could buy a house with 0% down, get a HELOC for the value of said house, and walk away 2 years later with nothing more than a BK. If you went into the bank and took that same amount of money from their safe, it would have been a crime. The net result is that you still stole that money from the bank in a legal way.

Again, robbing Peter to pay Paul (which pretty much everyone agrees is what is happening), is stealing from someone.

Last edited:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I hope he overcomes it as well, but intent has nothing to do with it. I'm not saying hes a criminal here. Whether or not stealing makes you a bad person is another discussion. It is not illegal to run a business badly.

If you stop paying for your house but continue to live there until you are foreclosed on and forced out, is stealing. If I borrow your car trailer intending to give it back but I never do, that ISN'T stealing? Where is the trailer sign out sheet again :)?

Again, robbing Peter to pay Paul (which pretty much everyone agrees is what is happening), is stealing from someone.

Maybe I sympathize more because when I moved to Havasu there was often times I had to beg and borrow just to pay the electric bill some months. There was times I got behind, and I sold things to get back to even or even breathing room.. Then somehow three weeks later would be right back where I started.

I am fortunate in that something’s fell into place, and we made some changes etc.. but I know the struggle and what it’s like to save up to Goto work. Lol. (I wish I was joking)

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Maybe I sympathize more because when I moved to Havasu there was often times I had to beg and borrow just to pay the electric bill some months. There was times I got behind, and I sold things to get back to even or even breathing room.. Then somehow three weeks later would be right back where I started.

I am fortunate in that something’s fell into place, and we made some changes etc.. but I know the struggle and what it’s like to save up to Goto work. Lol. (I wish I was joking)

I'm not saying there is no reason to be sympathetic, but at the end of the day, it is what it is. We have all seen this show before.

If the business cant get out of the hole it is in with the market as hot as it has been, things probably are not going to get any better without drastic changes.

Englewood

Reaction score
People make mistakes, he made a couple big ones.. The difference is he is not running from them or changing the name and opening up tomorrow. He’s doing his best to own it and fulfill obligations etc.. I hope he overcomes it.

It is nice to see someone own up to their mistakes and keep pushing ahead. I hope he can turn it around. I've been a big Ultra supporter in the past.

Singleton

Reaction score

Look at all my posts, when it hit the fan, I called it as I saw it. Even stopped referring people to Rusty.

He has done some stuff to earn my trust back. Not 100% yet, but better then 2 years ago.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
I have no idea of the drama some people are bringing up , I’ll just say, that is one sweet looking boat. And if the bottom changes are correct, it would be a killer ride with a set of Merc 700’s !!