WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Unaware parents

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
This must be my week for them. At the hotel cafe on Sunday a group let a kid scream so much the manager brought over cookies. The parents who didn’t even acknowledge the screamer, wrapped them up to go. The whole place was pissed. And when I say screaming that is not hyperbole. Now in the emergency room a mother is letting her kid squeeze the loudest squeak toy known to man. People in pain don’t want to hear that right now.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Dam. If my kids don’t use indoor voices they are getting a trip outside for an ass chewing. 2nd trip is ass beating.

people are paying with hard earned money to enjoy a meal, I’m not about to fuck that up for them.

Meaney77

Reaction score
Dam. If my kids don’t use indoor voices they are getting a trip outside for an ass chewing. 2nd trip is ass beating.

people are paying with hard earned money to enjoy a meal, I’m not about to fuck that up for them.
We always remind our 3 kids that they are in restaurants and eating out is a privilege- for the most part they are well behaved. When they start acting up we give them the look and that seems to keep them in check.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
As a parent of young kids its something I struggle with every day. I think its easy for us to be like "omg they're shit parents" but in reality its just everything in the world. Kids have ZERO patience for anything because we all live in a society where everything is delivered quickly. Amazon, next day. Movies? On demand. ipads, news, etc... back in the day we would have to go to blockbuster and rent a movie, get it back by the next day, etc... basically expectations were set in our minds and now that expectation is very low. Kids are gonna be kids and we as parents need to keep those expectations in line otherwise you get situations like you mentioned where they go bonkers. Kids dont know how to be bored. The expectation is that theres constant stimulation. I think the main problem is most parents are self absorbed into their phones, social media, communication with family, etc... when in reality all that needs to be put away and focus on family time and slowing down.

All the more reason why I joined this group, going to the lake, building a bus so we can go out camping, etc... getting away from the busy society.

Jefftowz

Formerly Old School Ultra
Reaction score
I spent a few dinners standing outside with a crying kid, taking turns with my wife. im good for about 30-45 seconds of noise before we go outside. Nobody came to a restaurant to hear kids cry unless you are at Disneyland or Chucky cheeses.

Meaney77

Reaction score
I think the main problem is most parents are self absorbed into their phones, social media, communication with family, etc... when in reality all that needs to be put away and focus on family time and slowing down.

All the more reason why I joined this group, going to the lake, building a bus so we can go out camping, etc... getting away from the busy society.

Totally agree... We have a rule at dinner time - all electronics are off and we only listen to music and talk.

Nothing drives me more crazy than when you go out to dinner and you see everyone around you on electronics or even worse when you see kids on electronics with volume on kill mode to help pacify they time.

ka0tyk

Reaction score
Totally agree... We have a rule at dinner time - all electronics are off and we only listen to music and talk.

Nothing drives me more crazy than when you go out to dinner and you see everyone around you on electronics or even worse when you see kids on electronics with volume on kill mode to help pacify they time.

I see kids (or hell even teenagers) with their devices and headphones on in restaurants. Makes me crazy. Especially knowing they're just going to grow up into crappy adults.

DLC

Reaction score
What kills us is when your in a booth and the kid in the next booth back to you is standing up on the seat and looking back at you or jumping around and rocking your side of the booth. One kid reached back and grabby wife’s hair…. Oh she was …. let’s say not happy! We got up and walked out…

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
From a parent standpoint, I've seen both sides. One of my kids was loud...didn't talk much, but yelled and cried to communicate. F' me, that was hard. We didn't go out much until we learned just crayons and a piece of paper, and he was a saint.

Over the past several years, we have received compliments from random couples, about how well behaved our kids were. These were usually from people old enough to be my parents. They aren't perfect, but they behave.

If they saw the struggle years back, they would never guess what would come of the kids. I often wonder if the parents younger than me never break away from their phones...we eat dinner together every night. No phones, no radio or TV. Both my wife and I were raised that way, so that's how it is.

grumpy88

Reaction score
I spent a few dinners standing outside with a crying kid, taking turns with my wife. im good for about 30-45 seconds of noise before we go outside. Nobody came to a restaurant to hear kids cry unless you are at Disneyland or Chucky cheeses.
I wish i could like this more then once . Thank you for being a good parent ! If you are in vegas to deliver or pick up let me know it would be cool to come by and say hi . Its been awhile .

grumpy88

Reaction score
2 little kids were running around Leslie's pool on saturday for 15 minutes . Mom didnt say shit to stop them . In the end mom spent $16 . I was at the point of leaving . Ahh

termiteguy

Reaction score
It's getting harder and harder to go out amongst the public! Either the people are getting more dumb by the day or I am getting older and more intolerant of the bullshit
It's you are getting older and way more cranky join the club I'm 55 I can only wait until I'm 65-70 and can just say what the hell I want and nobody cares

Your ad here

Reaction score
Anybody struggle with random kids running around with their arms in the air and smack you in the nuts? Usually the worse kids have a mom that I ask myself who's the fool that had a kid with her?

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Once in a while a kid is in pain or something. But if my kids wouldn't be quiet I took em outside so we didn't disturb others.

When we sat down we would explain to the server that we didn't have a lot of sitting around time. Bring us food right away and we'll tip
large. That usually worked. We order fast, we eat fast, and we're out fast.

I remember being a kid out to dinner with my folks. When you're 4 or 5 It would take forever....maybe we'd get a dessert so I could hang on for that... but then they order a second round of coffee....I'd be like NOooOOOooooo.

endobear

Reaction score
I about lost it watching this go down for 20min at a local.pizza joint.
Waitress snatched the honey bottle from him directly after I said something to her.
She might have been even more disturbed than I was.
Resized_20191105_175853(1).jpg

LazyLavey

Reaction score
At they're current age, I make sure my grandkids have markers/crayons and paper.... try to stay away from electronics.......usually good for the duration

LazyLavey

Reaction score
Waitress snatched the honey bottle from him directly after I said something to her.
She might have been even more disturbed than I was.
Mom is busy checking her stock portfolio??

JDKRXW

Reaction score
My kids (adults now) learned something extremely simple VERY early on,..... it is was that life is all about choices.
They could sit down, be polite and act mature when were out in public at a restaraunt etc OR they wouldn't be getting something that was very important to them at the time (example; a future play date with a friend). The choice was 100% their's.

This flat our works - the trouble is ....... PARENTS won't follow through on the second choice.

Icky

Reaction score
My boy is going to be 2 in September. I would rather put on a movie with his tablet and no volume than to have him ruin everyone's dinner.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
She might have been even more disturbed than I was. View attachment 1014181
Can't you see she is busy and doesn't have time to manner her husband's kids.

ka0tyk

Reaction score
Also remember guys, a lot of these kids haven’t been to a restaurant in over a year. Or parents for that matter.

Sherpa

Reaction score
I once blew up on my daughter in a nice restuarant for just being a little pill......... when I finally had enough, I loudly said "Thats it." were going outside.!

I took her hand, and firmly walked toward to door. this lady at another table kind of blocked, me.... with here husband there, I said "you want a piece of me

too honey?" lets go........... you're first.......... she got out of my way.....

my daughter and I just sat in the car while I very camly said you cannot behave like this in a store, or restuarant..... didn't ever lay on a hand on my daughters.

didn't have to.... just the looks did it all.

Wedgy

Reaction score
I don't think Mom drug me outside, but as a Toddler in a restaraunt in Pasadena, I once threw my spoon at a Policeman! Mom said he was very cool about it. And we all laughed!

I loved taking Brandon into restaraunts, Verbal KId. He'd spell words he'd see. Like, T h a n k Y o u, spells Thank You! On the trash can doors in Taco Bell. He loved doing that and watching the old people freak out. "Honey! Did you see that little kid!?" In Williams, Ca. I think

At the time, I packed him in a Backpack on the trail. Burney Falls was our next stop. KId's a 29 year old Giant Redwood now.

endobear

Reaction score
shes too stupid and narrow minded to owns stocks. shes checking instagram or pinterest................. idiots.
Little bugger eater to her right was on some sort of device to.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
this 1000%……

Oh so you wanna be a little brat? Fine. I don’t get mad I get even…😏

My kids (adults now) learned something extremely simple VERY early on,..... it is was that life is all about choices.
They could sit down, be polite and act mature when were out in public at a restaraunt etc OR they wouldn't be getting something that was very important to them at the time (example; a future play date with a friend). The choice was 100% their's.

This flat our works - the trouble is ....... PARENTS won't follow through on the second choice.

TeamGreene

Reaction score
No phones at the table ever was the rule. I've taken all of our three to the restroom or outside for some attitude adjustment while in a restaurant a few times in their lives. All three grown and great adults. Parenting has been replaced with friendship in a lot of cases and it shows.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I spend a lot of time with my kids in restaurants.. This is a big thing with me and they know it. There’s no messing around in the restaurants.. lol

Boat 405

Reaction score
S
I once blew up on my daughter in a nice restuarant for just being a little pill......... when I finally had enough, I loudly said "Thats it." were going outside.!

I took her hand, and firmly walked toward to door. this lady at another table kind of blocked, me.... with here husband there, I said "you want a piece of me

too honey?" lets go........... you're first.......... she got out of my way.....

my daughter and I just sat in the car while I very camly said you cannot behave like this in a store, or restuarant..... didn't ever lay on a hand on my daughters.

didn't have to.... just the looks did it all.
Some people need to mind their own damn business too

DWC

Reaction score
"Parenting" is a lost art.
Too many "Enablers"
So very true. I have some younger co-workers we’ll invite over on occasion. A few different families and they’re all very similar. Kids are their “buddies”. There are a lot of negotiations, lots of threats (that never happen) and way too much giving in. My kids laugh when they see it. They comment and thank us on a regular basis. Parenting is about raising children to be self sufficient, responsible, productive adults. They’re not your friends until they’re adults and that’s only if you still like each other. ;)

ka0tyk

Reaction score
So very true. I have some younger co-workers we’ll invite over on occasion. A few different families and they’re all very similar. Kids are their “buddies”. There are a lot of negotiations, lots of threats (that never happen) and way too much giving in. My kids laugh when they see it. They comment and thank us on a regular basis. Parenting is about raising children to be self sufficient, responsible, productive adults. They’re not your friends until they’re adults and that’s only if you still like each other. ;)

haha i tell that to my daughter when she doesnt get her way. "daddy why are you being mean?" "im not here to be your friend, im here to be your parent and make sure you dont grow up to be like everyone else, you're better than that"

DWC

Reaction score
haha i tell that to my daughter when she doesnt get her way. "daddy why are you being mean?" "im not here to be your friend, im here to be your parent and make sure you dont grow up to be like everyone else, you're better than that"
My wife is the nicest person I’ve ever met. She would always tell the kids that “I’m not your friend. I’m your mom. You earn the right to be my friend”. Couldn’t have been too bad. They’re 25, 23 and 20 now. They call her pretty much everyday. Go to the river every chance they get. They’re also going on both vacations with us this summer.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Too many parents just tune them out, exactly the way they do it at home.
It's easier to ignore it verses having to take time to teach them. Same parents that blame teachers for not parenting their kids instead of teaching the 3 R's.

Ouderkirk

Reaction score
This must be my week for them. At the hotel cafe on Sunday a group let a kid scream so much the manager brought over cookies. The parents who didn’t even acknowledge the screamer, wrapped them up to go. The whole place was pissed. And when I say screaming that is not hyperbole. Now in the emergency room a mother is letting her kid squeeze the loudest squeak toy known to man. People in pain don’t want to hear that right now.

I don't know if I would use the term unaware. I would go with inexperienced.

With young children in restaraunts there is a basic window for them in terms of time. From 0-5 years that's about 20 minutes to order, eat and pay. from 6-10 years is 30-40 minutes before they start to get ants in their pants.

Some of this is on the server to understand the needs of parents with young children vs. a table full of adults. That understanding has to be transmitted by the managers. If the managers are clueless, then the staff is clueless, and you get kids that act up because they are past the window of opportunity. If the manager understands the needs and timeframes involved they can get the family in and out quickly without incident.

The 6-10 year old family needs to be ordered within 5 minutes, and food on the table within 15 minutes of ordering. The check delivered at the 30 minute mark and cashed out within 5 minutes of check delivery. If the staff falls down on this, the kids lose their demeanor and start to act out.

The grandparents should also keep this in mind with large parties with their grandchildren too.