WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Uncle Dave, 'Has Lavey Craft thought about building a CC?

Sunset

Reaction score
Uncle Dave you have the 29-32-39 bottoms and Chris which is one of the most talented
designer boat builder that loves a challenge .

I was reading about Sunsation boats and for some reason they always had the same lines as Lavey the bottoms and design.

( Quote)
They are a lot less complicated to build than sportboats,” said Schaldenbrand “When we go water testing now, we don’t a take toolbox the way we used sportboat to with sportboats. We take a computer.”

Less work and a year waiting list.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Sunsation has often been described as the other coasts Lavey and make very nice products.
We had one in for repair a few years ago and weren't at all blown away (stuff like screwed in fasteners without through bolts) but we dont know what was added after the initial build or who did what to this boat.

A CC Is certainly being discussed.

As is, and the discussion goes round...

New upper deck for the 29 with a evo like canopy
A smaller deckboat
An evo type canopy upper for the Sabre
Laveytoon-Lavey fiberglass body on a pontoon subsystem
A reworked 21 focused on removing build complexity and coming back to a single gas tank.

The CC certainly has its appeal based on the sheer popularity of the design and seeming waiting list of clients.

UD

Last edited:

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Please for all that is holy and right don't build a pontoon. Don't get me wrong it would probably sell but man a pontoon with a lavey badge is sacrilege.

a reworked 21 entry level model would be good. A smaller entry level deck too. A cc would be awesome.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
Granted the last time I was at Havasu was 5 years ago, but does anyone have CCs on havasu..? CC are a hot market, but mainly east coast and some Midwest, I don’t see them selling a ton on the west coast.

squeezer

Reaction score
E0A8E9F6-308A-43ED-9248-54EC736336BF.jpeg
2753F294-77CE-4C6F-9EB1-A4683EF3610B.jpeg
0390D337-9CC1-4E04-A6F3-0942DA356AF6.jpeg
C89D52DD-ABF1-4960-B6B1-D04793A0C2EC.jpeg
A wakeboard style V-Drive XCS would be killer... No tower, mid cabin or closed bow.

We like our Sanger but miss our Lavey

I want the best of both worlds. Old School Cool that surfs

WildWilly

Reaction score
Granted the last time I was at Havasu was 5 years ago, but does anyone have CCs on havasu..? CC are a hot market, but mainly east coast and some Midwest, I don’t see them selling a ton on the west coast.

There are a few regulars and some visitors with CC's. Each year seems to be adding more so its gaining out here.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Please for all that is holy and right don't build a pontoon. Don't get me wrong it would probably sell but man a pontoon with a lavey badge is sacrilege.

a reworked 21 entry level model would be good. A smaller entry level deck too. A cc would be awesome.

HAHa funny - we try to throw it all up on a chalkboard and talk through them as a group - including people that dont own boats and kids that haven't even thought about getting into the lifestyle sport hobby that is boating, or ones that have been on a few trips but down own anything.

I fully expected a reaction like that because the toon is most heated discussion topic , and Im leaned toward your way of seeing things - sacrilege!
the "kids" (18-27 in our group) used my own analogies back at me viciously - but thats what the 911 guys said when the 928 came out then when the Cayenne hit they went nuts - remember you said that dad!

The concept of a relatively low performance but luxurious party platform that runs cheap and delivers the notable improvements to the in mold design type cockpits the line is known for keeps getting thrown on the chalkboard but its pretty low down the list.

U Dave

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
View attachment 657969 View attachment 657966 View attachment 657967 View attachment 657968 A wakeboard style V-Drive XCS would be killer... No tower, mid cabin or closed bow.

We like our Sanger but miss our Lavey

I want the best of both worlds. Old School Cool that surfs

Trying to picture this - are you saying a modern 21-2x? designed walk through open bow V drive ?

When you say wakeboard style tell me what you mean- I dont spend enough time on those to know and Ive real curious (thanks!)

UD

squeezer

Reaction score
My ideal boat would be a 60MPH Closed now XCS that I can surf behind.

Use the same engine/tranny/V-drive as a modern wakeboard boat. ( watch the strut angle to get the speed)

No towers or any of that crap

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
I'm interested in an updated 21 WTOB or MCOB with a 350hp 6.2 and Bravo 1 drive, just a basic no frills all around package.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Why not a deck style top for the Sabre bottom? That seems to be one of the easier options from the list.

The LaveyCraft Carrier is just soooo big.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Why not a deck style top for the Sabre bottom? That seems to be one of the easier options from the list.

The LaveyCraft Carrier is just soooo big.

We offer a walk through open bow Sabre now (pretty sure)

thought of that.....

We could do more mods to the upper but the insurance the customer would have to buy would be cat insurance vs deck boat insurance.

Insurance companies have a complicated formula for determining whats a cat and whats a deck boat.

The carrier is awesome for big group - not awesome at wash down time or storage time. Should have called it a "30".
Its massive size makes it one of the few deck boats impervious to uneven weight in the nose.
Its a gigantic wall of glass sitting on a trailer - I dont know of any other deck boat that drains the wet lockers to the water vs the bilge.

UD

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
HAHa funny - we try to throw it all up on a chalkboard and talk through them as a group - including people that dont own boats and kids that haven't even thought about getting into the lifestyle sport hobby that is boating, or ones that have been on a few trips but down own anything.

I fully expected a reaction like that because the toon is most heated discussion topic , and Im leaned toward your way of seeing things - sacrilege!
the "kids" (18-27 in our group) used my own analogies back at me viciously - but thats what the 911 guys said when the 928 came out then when the Cayenne hit they went nuts - remember you said that dad!

The concept of a relatively low performance but luxurious party platform that runs cheap and delivers the notable improvements to the in mold design type cockpits the line is known for keeps getting thrown on the chalkboard but its pretty low down the list.

U Dave
Do the best of both worlds, make the Pontoon style boat but maybe come up with a sub label for them like Lazycraft or something. Lol!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Gelcoater

Reaction score
We offer a walk through open bow Sabre now (pretty sure)

thought of that.....

We could do more mods to the upper but the insurance the customer would have to buy would be cat insurance vs deck boat insurance.

Insurance companies have a complicated formula for determining whats a cat and whats a deck boat.

The carrier is awesome for big group - not awesome at wash down time or storage time. Should have called it a "30".
Its massive size makes it one of the few deck boats impervious to uneven weight in the nose.
Its a gigantic wall of glass sitting on a trailer - I dont know of any other deck boat that drains the wet lockers to the water vs the bilge.

UD
The Prowler is a beast, it’s like gelcoating a condominium complex.

I’d like to see you guys do a CC based on the 29 Nu-Era bottom, flat transom. Done right for us west coasters it could be an ideal party/diving/fishing/weekend cove camping machine.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
My ideal boat would be a 60MPH Closed now XCS that I can surf behind.

Use the same engine/tranny/V-drive as a modern wakeboard boat. ( watch the strut angle to get the speed)

No towers or any of that crap
Here’s where our pal @AzGeo could answer some questions.
I like the idea, Squeeze, but I suspect that strut angle is a key to those boats surfable?
Maybe we can have Brian carve us a hydraulic adjustable pitch strut:)

Q4mtxUS

Reaction score
I saw this on Nor-Tech FB page. It was posted on April 1 of this year and I think it was meant to be an april fools gag although I don't know if they are going to proceed with this as Nor-Tech is slammed with CC orders for years. But if lavey is considering a fiberglass on aluminum toon sorta deal, this rendering may provide inspiration. LCM could shorten their version to 26 feet with walk on/off bow and stern, keeping the side doors off to take advantage of valuable floor space. It could be kept to a single new Merc V8 OB to keep price afforadble and competrive, or spice it up with twins for those with the means.

The side image of this rendering looks to me to be kind of "E-ticket" ish looking. I think moving the windshiels further forward, creating smaller bow loungers and put more seating/lounging behind the captians, under the bimini where everybody gravitates would look cool...
Laveytoon.jpg

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Here’s where our pal @AzGeo could answer some questions.
I like the idea, Squeeze, but I suspect that strut angle is a key to those boats surfable?
Maybe we can have Brian carve us a hydraulic adjustable pitch strut:)

I know this was said in jest but I thought the same exact thing. Then I started thinking about how I would do it. Maybe a gear box inside a larger strut so you could trim the vdrive up and down? Admittedly this would create a ton of drag provide broken water to the prop and make the rudder essentially useless, but the prop angle would change. Anybody got a better idea? Chain driven transmission on a hydraulic lift that physically moves the transmission up and down changing the shaft angle?

The new ski boat that someone posted a month or so ago got me thinking. It had all kinds of fins and stuff that deployed from the bottom of the hull to make almost zero wake for skiers. What if you started out with a fast v-drive hull. Added extendable wings with an adjustable prop shaft angle and bags to turn it into a surf boat. Done surfing outside the mouth of Pirates and want to go check out the channel? Dump the ballast tuck in the wings adjust the trim on the prop shaft and tear down river in a fast efficient boat. Wake surfer done and skier wants to go same deal.

This is the kind of crap I think about late at night when I can't sleep.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
I know this was said in jest but I thought the same exact thing. Then I started thinking about how I would do it. Maybe a gear box inside a larger strut so you could trim the vdrive up and down? Admittedly this would create a ton of drag provide broken water to the prop and make the rudder essentially useless, but the prop angle would change. Anybody got a better idea? Chain driven transmission on a hydraulic lift that physically moves the transmission up and down changing the shaft angle?

The new ski boat that someone posted a month or so ago got me thinking. It had all kinds of fins and stuff that deployed from the bottom of the hull to make almost zero wake for skiers. What if you started out with a fast v-drive hull. Added extendable wings with an adjustable prop shaft angle and bags to turn it into a surf boat. Done surfing outside the mouth of Pirates and want to go check out the channel? Dump the ballast tuck in the wings adjust the trim on the prop shaft and tear down river in a fast efficient boat. Wake surfer done and skier wants to go same deal.

This is the kind of crap I think about late at night when I can't sleep.

It would have to be similar to the old OMC stringer drives. The entire engine / V-drive / and strut would all need to be mounted on one cradle assembly that has the ability to pivot at a point as close as possible to center of the hole in the log. The log seal (section of hose with the packing seal assembly clamped on)...if designed appropriately and using a long enough section of hose, can accomodate 2 or 3 degrees of shaft angle adjustment. For on the fly adjustment, I'm picturing the strut to be something like I built for my neighbors solar boat project
https://www.riverdavesplace.com/for...ject-propshaft-strut-for-a-solar-boat.181574/

...But with a curve to it matching the arc that it will travel in. The "slot" in the keel is the only questionable part...I'm imagine a stuffing box sort of deal with 3 or 4 rows of rope type packing...that should work.

Last edited: