WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Uncommon Tools that you never knew existed....

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Anyone else like great tools that work awesome but aren't something you'd see every day?

Here are a couple of my favorites:

The Clamp-Tite safety wire clamping tool, this thing pretty much makes normal hose clamps obsolete for anything that you want to permanently clamp, i found out about this from a Heavy Equipment welder/repair guy, i have seen this thing hold 1000+ psi hydraulic lines onto their fittings using nothing but 0.030 safety wire, no leaks, clamps the hose tight as hell and the tangs fold back in nice and flush leaving nothing to snag on like a normal hose clamp:

ClampTite1.jpg

ClampTite2.jpg

ClampTite3.jpg

It works by pulling the wire loops against themselves to cinch from both directions, then allows you to fold the end over locking the wire in place (then you snip the extra wire leaving about 3/16" of the folded ends remaining)

Knipex Plier Wrenches:

I've had these for a couple years, i got rid of my aluminum AN wrenches after finding out about these, they don't work like regular pliers, the jaws always stay 100% parallel and pinch the flats perfectly evenly, Allowing you to squeeze the flats while you are also turning the fitting. They have smooth jaws so they aren't to be used like regular pliers for gripping. These are my 100% go-tos for fittings, even better than line wrenches in many cases.

Knipex.jpg

Anyone else have any cool tools to share that aren't commonly seen?

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
yes, the clamp tite rocks. I still use a lot of hose clamps but love the wire clamps for anything that you will be working around. There is no big worm drive to snag your hand on and can be way tighter than a standard clamp.

Your ad here

Reaction score
Sweeds. Use them for grading parking lots to make sure the paving is flat. Not to be confused with level but flat as in no high or low spots. Orange ones are at the ends on a preset elevation and the white is in the middle to set the marker. 8" wood stake with a plastic feather. Key is to line up the tops of all 3. All the time people ask "Do those really work?" Answer is yes. I've been in construction for 15 years and only know of 1 other guy that uses these for grading.
FB_IMG_1556059970226.jpg
20190523_134703.jpg

Last edited:

JDub24

American Bad-Ass!!
Reaction score
Too funny. My grading contractor out here in the desert uses them as well.

Sweeds. Use them for grading parking lots to make sure the paving is flat. Not to be confused with level but flat as in no high or low spots. Orange ones are at the ends on a preset elevation and the white is in the middle to set the marker. 8" wood stake with a plastic feather. Key is to line up the tops of all 3. All the time people ask "Do those really work?" Answer is yes. I've been in construction for 15 years and only know of 1 other guy that uses these for grading.
View attachment 761091 View attachment 761093

oldschool

Reaction score
Do the Knipex pliers mark up the AN fittings? These look trick, love the idea of not carrying all those AN wrenches around.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Do the Knipex pliers mark up the AN fittings? These look trick, love the idea of not carrying all those AN wrenches around.

Yep, i don't even use AN wrenches anymore. These work much better, I do recommend getting a few different sizes just because the large ones may be cumbersome getting into certain areas.

Edit: No they don't mark up the fittings, just make sure the jaws don't get dinged and are smooth, and also don't go twisting them while they are under clamping force on the fitting.

Last edited:

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Im buying the pliers too. I have a tool prolem, for sure.

RaceTec

Reaction score
Good suggestions! How about flush cut dikes, they must be uncommon because every time I help someone work on something I get cut! We have a few things around the shop that we custom made like deep pocket thickness checkers with drop indicators...

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
View attachment 761091 View attachment 761093
I used a very similar setup for grading back when I was a grade checker. Those stick tape in tenths and a banjo were priceless

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Good suggestions! How about flush cut dikes, they must be uncommon because every time I help someone work on something I get cut! We have a few things around the shop that we custom made like deep pocket thickness checkers with drop indicators...

Knipex makes AWESOME flush cut dykes as well. Snap-on changed theirs from a hot rivet to a mechanical fasneter at the pivot, the mechanical fastner ones get out of tolerance and stop flush cutting, aren't as still. The Knipex ones still use a hot rivet pivot.

FlushCuts.jpg

They don't make these snap-on E710BCG anymore, but the knipex is a great replacement, also they come in straight, 45 and 90 degree. (45 is what i have to supplement the old snap-on straights)

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
I use a pair of Kline and also a Whia flush cut all the time. the only thing about flush cut is the bevel is not as strong as a normal pair. You need to be more aware of how hard the material you are cutting is. You can damage your cutters.

McKay

Reaction score
I love the Knipex plier wrenches, Been using them for years. You will never use a crescent again after these. However once you start to use them a lot they do get a little marked up and I actually just used a pair two days ago on an AN fitting and it did mark it. So if that is your plan I would set a pair aside for just that and not use on bolt/nut that is hard.

DaveH

Reaction score
for the millennials on this site, they have these things called a hammer, shovel, wheel barrow, all sorts of stuff where you actually have to sweat and not sit at a keyboard in AC.

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
for the millennials on this site, they have these things called a hammer, shovel, wheel barrow, all sorts of stuff where you actually have to sweat and not sit at a keyboard in AC.
Lol....I hear those plus and minus screwdrivers work pretty well. :D

Your ad here

Reaction score
Carbide tipped hole cutters. Used the 7/8" cutter to drill 6 holes in 3/4" chromoly. Took about 1 minute a hole and still is sharp.
Impact screwdriver for those "seized" bolts. Place the screw driver on the bolt and smack the top with a hammer. Had this thing 2 years. Used it for the first time last week.
20190605_110347.jpg
20190605_110545.jpg

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
Knipex makes AWESOME flush cut dykes as well. Snap-on changed theirs from a hot rivet to a mechanical fasneter at the pivot, the mechanical fastner ones get out of tolerance and stop flush cutting, aren't as still. The Knipex ones still use a hot rivet pivot.

View attachment 761115

They don't make these snap-on E710BCG anymore, but the knipex is a great replacement, also they come in straight, 45 and 90 degree. (45 is what i have to supplement the old snap-on straights)
I lost my last set of the snap on's and was super bummed. They come up on eBay from time to time

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Oh cool. Those will go along nicely with the thousands of dollars of other tools I have and use on 100 degree rooftops. Then I'll get out the laptop and asses and repairs the controls system as well. (Where's the damn rolleyes emoji?!)

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

SoCalDave

Reaction score
While installing over 60 recessed light fixtures in my nephew's house a few months ago I bought one of these hole saws at HD that has the catch pan for all the debris as you're drilling in the ceiling. actually works well and helps to contain the mess from the drywall.

upload_2019-6-5_12-55-25.png

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Lost an Uncle up in the Owens Valley, Supt. LA-DWP. Great guy, a real John Wayne kind of guy. Failed air hose took him out. I'll never forget it.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
While installing over 60 recessed light fixtures in my nephew's house a few months ago I bought one of these hole saws at HD that has the catch pan for all the debris as you're drilling in the ceiling. actually works well and helps to contain the mess from the drywall.

View attachment 761184

I have thought about one of those from time to time but never bought one. Sucks to get drywall dust in the eyes. One of these days I might remember to buy one. LOL

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
Oh cool. Those will go along nicely with the thousands of dollars of other tools I have and use on 100 degree rooftops. Then I'll get out the laptop and asses and repairs the controls system as well. (Where's the damn rolleyes emoji?!)

/QUOTE]

Not too far in the distance future, you'll be longing for the days on those 100 deg. rooftops. :D

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score

View attachment 761184

That is cool shit right there!

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score