WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Under Quarantine

zhandfull

Reaction score
Wife and I were talking about the Coronavirus and the quarantine going on in certain areas of China this morning. The virus itself is one thing but the economic impact of a quarantine on a personal level is frightening. We discussed the possible impact of either the city we live in, work in or possible both being placed under quarantine.

It was originally thought a two week quarantine was sufficient and now some are saying it should be a month. Regardless, are we prepared to be out of work for two weeks, a month or possibly longer with everyone else around us?

Our household stocks up on food and water every couple weeks but by the end of those two weeks things are starting to get pretty scarce around our house.

As the primary income provider in our household I would like to think that I have enough sick time and vacation time accrued to get us through a financial hardship of this type. Would be taking a hit on my wife's part time income though.

Anybody else thought about how something like Coronavirus would effect them personally if their area was placed under quarantine?

Last edited:

grumpy88

Reaction score
6 months minimum for money should be a priority for anybody . If your on this site and dont have 6 months in the bank you need to check your priorities . Food is a tough one . A month is a long time and food goes bad . We keep lots of little debbies around do i should be fine ! Lol

CJ_Donahue

Reaction score
Worry about myself, no. Worry about my wife and kids, hell yes.
My family would be financially OK for a few months if I got sick (Longer if the wife had to dump things like cars & boats) and if I die my wife would be set for life (Don't tell her).
Now if my wife or kids got sick we would be screwed. We would be out the finances because I would be standing outside the tent/hospital every day and no one would be home to keep things running.

Icky

Reaction score
I think the preparation needed is the same for any natural disaster, the big one.

I'm sure things like paying bills would be the least of anyone's worries.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I think the preparation needed is the same for any natural disaster, the big one.

I'm sure things like paying bills would be the least of anyone's worries.
This is my thought process. 6 months of bill money in the bank does you no good to get supplies if you can't leave your home. Let alone, your child or spouse become ill. Money cannot be a help at some times. It would be a great help after the storm, sure, that I can see.

The reality is, big cities here would be in chaos. Once word got out about a possible quarantine, the run on the stores would be massive. When and if the actual quarantine started, the looting and inevitable response of law would be devastating.

The quarantine would also halt the supply chain. The only incoming goods would be by government. No offense, but not their strong suit.

The hit to the economy will be bad already. Every country now depends on others. Even if it doesn't get bad here, the ripple effect will kick us in the shin pretty good. Yes, Apple has problems already, that made news. I could care less. The manufacturing of smaller items, that we take for granted are the ones that will start to hurt here. Small components and circuit boards used in things like appliances and automotive applications...the next few months will be interesting.

Not a cheery thought. Stay healthy as you can. Take care of your kids. Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

2Driver

Reaction score
We are staying the night in Singapore on our way to our final destination.

I’m more worried about being trapped in Quarantine in some country than actually getting sick.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
6 months minimum for money should be a priority for anybody . If your on this site and dont have 6 months in the bank you need to check your priorities . Food is a tough one . A month is a long time and food goes bad . We keep lots of little debbies around do i should be fine ! Lol

LOL. You have RDP confused with BDP (Banker Dave’s Place) This is a site dedicated to LAM and burning through income... not saving it.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
My wife is traveling for 3 weeks all over Europe and Asia next month for Apple...I'm a little nervous.

The virus is not that robust.. if you decontaminate an infected surface the virus is dead in like 40 seconds.

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
My wife is traveling for 3 weeks all over Europe and Asia next month for Apple...I'm a little nervous.
And you’re not going why?
Pretty sure you can find someone to tend to your pool.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
Being in California I always have a 30 day supply of food, water, and cash (you can’t count on the ATM’s working) on hand for when the next big earthquake hits. It’s not if - It’s when!

I have to agree with some of the other posters. If you own a boat but dont have a 6 month (minimum) of funds available in case you cannot work you need to check your priorities!

BajaMike

Reaction score

If she goes to China she won’t be able to come back for a while. Most countries are banning any one with a China stamp on their passport, including the U.S.

4Waters

Reaction score
The two states that are going to get hit the hardest are California and New York as that is where most of the international flights come into.

The wife and I just went and bought the last of the N95 masks that Lowes had and we ran into a friend whose husband works at Northridge Hospital and they have a confirmed case of Carona Virus at Northridge Hospital. The local media hasn't reported on this yet, which tells me they are trying to keep this under wraps.

I hope we don't have an epidemic here in the states but if we do, I'm glad we have a President in office that's not afraid to shut our borders down.

Havasu blue label

Reaction score
My buddy works for mgm in Vegas and China came back two weeks ago going back Thursday

cofooter

Reaction score
My girlfriend is working in Tianjin City China. She has been quarantined for several weeks. It's been a tough time for sure. She tells me things are getting a little bit better where she lives.
Our factory is there, Foxconn, hasn't been hit hard, but tons of precautions, better to stay away from lots of people if possibe, good luck to her!

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
Our factory is there, Foxconn, hasn't been hit hard, but tons of precautions, better to stay away from lots of people if possibe, good luck to her!

Thank you. I was just there in October. What an incredible city it is, I actually had a great time there and I'll probably go back when things settle down.

zhandfull

Reaction score
Any landlords or business owners? How long could you financially endure a quarantine? It could definitely put the hurt on anyone leveraged up!

Last edited:

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
Because she flies first class and her tickets are upwards of $10K...and I'd have to fly coach.
That’s your excuse?
I’d never let my wife trapes anywhere for that long alone, let alone cool places I’ve never been.

arch stanton

Reaction score
I read on a ocean shipping news letter that 50 container ship loads leaving china have been cancelled since the out break and that the ports in California have already slowed a lot with container volume down. They did not say what the percentage of shipping out of China the 50 loads represents but they did say the ship owning companies were advising shareholders that they were likely to not make a profit this year.
On the bright side production of things may come back to America and could be a long term positive.

zhandfull

Reaction score
Wife just texted from Sam's Club, people are stocking up in So. Cal.

gqchris

Reaction score
I think you would be surprised how many people you see on the lake or in the desert don't have 6 months of cash on hand.

Why does this always shock people on here?

gqchris

Reaction score
And give up bachelor life for three weeks?

I'm sure you have already creepily planned many Paddleboard outings those 3 weeks with that 20 something year old chick that you are always posting on here bragging about.

zhandfull

Reaction score
I was shocked last Friday when Gov. Galvin Newsom's said California only had 200 test kits for the new coronavirus. Today I was even more concerned after I watched Vice President Pence dodge the question of how many people had actually been tested and he responded by talking about how many had been screened for the virus. Big difference in my opinion. I'm convinced that the local and federal government are both not prepared to handle this Pandemic. I guess nobody thought it would spread to the US?

Havasu blue label

Reaction score
You are correct Costco out of water stock up we will be last one to be notified go to your local trauma center and take a peek

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
I was shocked last Friday when Gov. Galvin Newsom's said California only had 200 test kits for the new coronavirus. Today I was even more concerned after I watched Vice President Pence dodge the question of how many people had actually been tested and he responded by talking about how many had been screened for the virus. Big difference in my opinion. I'm convinced that the local and federal government are both not prepared to handle this Pandemic. I guess nobody thought it would spread to the US?

I dunno, considering no one knew this virus even excited until 6 weeks ago (thanks China), it isn't hard to imagine there aren't many test kits available.

buck35

Reaction score
I know plenty of people who only drink water out of a store bought bottle, I don't get it and never will I guess. Been drinking well water my entire life and the taste is 10 x better.

zhandfull

Reaction score
I watched these idiots stack several packs of water, paper towels, and baby wipes each at Costco yesterday like an earthquake was coming lol. I don’t know what these people are planning for lol.
Lol.. I do that once a month, minus the baby wipes.

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
I know plenty of people who only drink water out of a store bought bottle, I don't get it and never will I guess. Been drinking well water my entire life and the taste is 10 x better.

I agree well water is great in most cases. City water tastes like shit every city I've ever been to..lol

FishSniper

Reaction score
I
I watched these idiots stack several packs of water, paper towels, and baby wipes each at Costco yesterday like an earthquake was coming lol. I don’t know what these people are planning for lol.
I said the exact same thing I don’t remember anything about the coronavirus infecting the water supply. Typical media bs trying to cause panic.[/QUOTE]

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Jebus, water is in the fawcet ,and is cheap and easy to filter.
Water comes out of a magic hole in the ground, spare pumps and parts, 3 gensets and an inverter setup as well;)

If there were to be a full on quarantine in the LA area, and the pumps failed, or the Mulholand water mains failed, how long before repair? As for 6 months of emergency cash...if you can't leave the house for three weeks, doesn't matter much. May need a loaded pantry and not a loaded bank account:p

4Waters

Reaction score

You're not supposed to be able to taste water. 😂

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Wife just texted from Sam's Club, people are stocking up in So. Cal.

You are correct Costco out of water stock up we will be last one to be notified go to your local trauma center and take a peek

The more this shit is talked about the worse the concerns and worries become. The issue isn't the actual virus it's the media and now RDP talking about it endlessly.

zhandfull

Reaction score
The more this shit is talked about the worse the concerns and worries become. The issue isn't the actual virus it's the media and now RDP talking about it endlessly.
400 million people locked down in China last month for 638 deaths. Almost a third of China population, Just makes you wonder what is really going on. Is the US really different or that better prepared?

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
400 million people locked down in China last month for 638 deaths. Almost a third of China population, Just makes you wonder what is really going on. Is the US really different or that better prepared?

Someone, somewhere in the Chinese government has to have admitted that yea they have 1.4 billion people, and about 1.3 billion are idiots :).

The easiest, cheapest way to curb the virus is to have people stay home.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score

I am so sad for you that you have never drank deep well water if you think it is supposed to not taste at all......😭

Pure ground water is sweet and quenches your thirst so much better than you can imagine.....🤯

After growing up in places that had pure ground wells and icy high mountain streams....it's living in the city and having to drink tap water full of chlorine and crap that is shitty. That's why I drink mostly bottled or filtered. It's hard to drink anything else...even self proclaimed "artisan well spring water" is utter crap comparatively.

If the shit goes down I am more worried about having a years worth of purification tablets than anything else, I can hunt and fish up anything else....foraging is easy once you get into the actual forest beyond where people gather like state parks.

buck35

Reaction score
You've never tasted good well water then . It's not really a taste , but ,well its hard to explain and you wouldn't get it anyway so enjoy the plastic stuff. The shit in a bottle has been ro'd and had some minerals added back to resemble natural water.

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
I am so sad for you that you have never drank deep well water if you think it is supposed to not taste at all......😭

Pure ground water is sweet and quenches your thirst so much better than you can imagine.....🤯

After growing up in places that had pure ground wells and icy high mountain streams....it's living in the city and having to drink tap water full of chlorine and crap that is shitty. That's why I drink mostly bottled or filtered. It's hard to drink anything else...even self proclaimed "artisan well spring water" is utter crap comparatively.

If the shit goes down I am more worried about having a years worth of purification tablets than anything else, I can hunt and fish up anything else....foraging is easy once you get into the actual forest beyond where people gather like state parks.
I'm good with Lake Tahoe in my backyard.;) 👍

4Waters

Reaction score
You've never tasted good well water then . It's not really a taste , but ,well its hard to explain and you wouldn't get it anyway so enjoy the plastic stuff. The shit in a bottle has been ro'd and had some minerals added back to resemble natural water.
I only drink the bottled stuff at work, when I'm home it's filtered fridge water

monkeyswrench

Reaction score

For "survival" water, I popped a couple "Life Straws" in my packs. Filters most the nasties out.
The ability to hunt, forage and survive is a skillset lost by most these days. If you have them, pass them along to any youngster willing to listen and learn.