WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Underground Utility Foremen, Operators, Laborers Needed

jbird

Reaction score
San Francisco CA Based IBEW Union Contractor looking for long term employees. We are a contractor to the electric utility for the installation of conduit, enclosures, pads and vaults. Will assist with becoming an IBEW Member. IBEW has great benefits package and pay.

Looking for experienced help only with valid drivers licence and clean driving record.

Working Foreman-Manage a crew from 3-6 crew members to perform trenching, installation of conduits, boxes, pads, perform concrete and or asphalt restoration.

Equipment Operators-Class A license preferred but not a must. Will assist with securing the class A if things work out. Operate mini excavators, skid steers and backhoes.

Also needing experienced help for Structural Concrete. We build/rehabilitate underground electrical vaults. Carpentry, rebar, form and pour walls and vault lids/top slabs.

Pay Scale
Foremen $49.90
Operators $45.36
Laborers/Groundmen $34.68

We work 4-10 hr days as our regular schedule but with so much work on the books this has been 5-6 days most weeks. Any time over 10 hours a day and 40 hours in a week becomes double time pay. Work performed at night (which happens more than not because we are in the City) is also double time pay.

$50 per day per diem is included in the IBEW benefits package.

Shoot me an email to [email protected] with your contact info, resume if you have one or at least some of your work history/experience and references.

Thank you,

Jason

Yellowboat

Reaction score
My 12 years as a gc has too mean something right, boomer in industrial coatings before that. I am actually going too forward this to my brother. He is in Vacaville and has done heavy industry repair for years.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
With the super high cost of living and housing in that area, that pay scale isn't nearly enough to survive

jbird

Reaction score
With the super high cost of living and housing in that area, that pay scale isn't nearly enough to survive

I'd be willing to help the right candidates with added subsistence to get them in an extended stay hotel until they can find permanent living quarters.

jbird

Reaction score
Hall is empty. Especially for underground hands that are willing to get in the ditch and install conduit.
Most are Linemen or Groundmen wanting to be Linemen.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I got a couple friends that do this exact work and are working in the bay area a lot. Seems there is a shit ton of utility work work up there now and in the foreseeable future.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

WhatExit?

Reaction score
No it's not, but live 2 hours away and it's $$$$$$

That's what it takes - a daily 2-hour commute each way - the Bay Area has a severe affordable housing crisis so tens/hundreds of thousands have awful commutes and many there just work to survive the extremely high cost of living

There are jobs there but at what cost to the quality of living?

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
That's what it takes - a daily 2-hour commute each way - the Bay Area has a severe affordable housing crisis so tens/hundreds of thousands have awful commutes and many there just work to survive the extremely high cost of living

There are jobs there but at what cost to the quality of living?
Spot on my man. Sounds like you're making a good argument for supporting CAHSR Bullet train. :D

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Hall is empty. Especially for underground hands that are willing to get in the ditch and install conduit.

They want to build fence, not dig ditches!

:D

We have had a hard time getting bidders for underground work, linemen are scarce these days.

Last edited:

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score

Hey Jason,
Working 4/10's in the city and paying less than Lineman wages is gonna be a tough position to fill. I recommend calling the hall and ask
to talk to one of the Outside Line reps like Armstrong or Kenyon. Tell them you need a Lineman with UG exp for Foreman position. The reps can help set you up with someone to call out as foreman by name. There are plenty of great Lineman willing to do you a great job, but it's gonna cost you Lineman Foreman wages.
You'll find Upgrading a Journeyman Lineman to Foreman, may cost more, but it brings many benefits the FT or other UG positions can't offer.
JL/FM Journeyman Lineman/Foreman are allowed to do everything a FT can and more….
JL/FM are trained to do Overhead and Underground ET&D work, Substation, Cable Splicing, Inspections, Test energized cable and equipment, and hold Clearances.
JL/FM is allowed to supervise any size and combination of crew personnel, and can terminate any employee.
JL/FM is allowed to operate any piece of heavy machinery or equipment on job from Forklift, backhoe, excavator, Bucket/Digger derrick, 50 ton crane, etc….
JL/FM is allowed to infringe on MAD, inspect existing energized equipment, repair damaged components and splice cable.
JL/FM is allowed to and can do anything you ask of him……. :D Good luck and say hello to John Olsen for me.
Hud

jbird

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Hud

We do work with the hall and try to get manpower through our rep's when possible. As you know anyone who is worth a shit is busy working and not many left on the books with experience or even interested in trenching and shoveling dirt. This is why I am running ads and also posting here.
JL/FM may be trained or allowed to do all the tasks you detailed in your post but I've yet to find one willing or even capable of running a shovel or excavator. If you've got someone in mind send them my way!
I'll tell John you said hi.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
I have never understood the mind set of people not willing too work, when they have the opertuinty too. So you have too get dirty, grow a set and do it.

Reminds me of a framer I hired, he lasted 4 hours before I fired him. He was throwing up walls like a crazy. It was about 20 mins before lunch and between the 2 of us we had framed a entire garage. I told him to grab a broom and the both of use could sweep up the saw dust then I was taking him too lunch. " I don't do apprentice work" I cut him his last check right then and there. I do not need any one that is not willing too do what needs to be done.

I actually really like the idea of 4 10s. Much rather do that, then 5 8s

WhatExit?

Reaction score
Spot on my man. Sounds like you're making a good argument for supporting CAHSR Bullet train. :D

You're dreaming if you think that train will ever go where it needs to and run at anything close to "high speed" and, for the record, I've spent as much time fighting that train as anyone.

AJ Hoffman

Reaction score
You get wut you pay for! You want someone to do everything, then you better be willing to pay for it. I'm sure u can hire a illegal Then again in Californian I don't know if they are called that any more... believe they are called citizens now. o_O 99% of them already have jobs though... called the system.... good luck finding a excavator operator and a Juandeere all in one. Only way going find those things is in a recession. You could have hired an apprentice carpenter to help u, could have had him do anything ur way. You wouldn't have knocked out the garage as fast as u did, but you would have clean floors! :D

Ultra912

Reaction score
I wish I had taken this path when younger and fresh out of the military. I've been a concrete contractor for 32 years and will retire with no pension. No ones fault but my own of course. I'm sick of chasing down my money and getting through the great recession was definitely the challenge of my life as a contractor. By now I wouldn't need to do any labor as I'm sure I'd be a big shot by now :)
Crossing those bridges everyday also adds to the commute

riverroyal

Reaction score
Well this is a great example of why construction costs are so high.
There is no cheap labor anymore. The cost of building is more, the consumer pays more.

Its going to get worse. The current working generation is already not in the trades. Just wait until the fortnight kids get older. They have no idea what a hammer looks like.

Does the ibew union up there have a open call for travelers?
Go find the nearest berg electric jobsite. Start talking to the guys

Kailuaboy89

Aloha Airliner
Reaction score
I am an operator looking for work, but have family planted here including small children. would I have to relocate, or could I work and still live down here in San Diego? I don't mind travelling but im curious about what it entails

jbird

Reaction score
I am an operator looking for work, but have family planted here including small children. would I have to relocate, or could I work and still live down here in San Diego? I don't mind travelling but im curious about what it entails

Shoot me an email to [email protected]with your contact info, resume if you have one or at least some of your work history/experience and references.