WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Underway definition...

ductape1000

Here.
Reaction score
From what I understand when I read this, "underway" is when you are off the ground and not in motion. Off the shore, off the dock and anchor off the ground.

"Making way" is when you are moving enough to steer. Engine on and in gear.

Is this correct??

There was a discussion concerning lighting and I think the information being put out is not correct. That discussion said that floating in the channel you could have your accent lighting on. I see that as being underway.

What say ye??
Screenshot_20180423-213357.jpg

Sent from a van down by the river. [emoji111]️

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
There is a difference between underway and making way...........floating in the channel with no engine on would be imo opinion, if the engine is running and water is moving past the rudder then it would be making way.

ductape1000

Here.
Reaction score
There is a difference between underway and making way...........floating in the channel with no engine on would be imo opinion, if the engine is running and water is moving past the rudder then it would be making way.
I'm not totally clear on what you think floating in the channel with the engine off is defined as. Also, what about floating with the engine off in the middle of the lake?

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
The Wikipedia definition is correct per Coast Guard regarding “under way”. I’m not sure if the CG defines “making way” separately, let me check.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
You’re correct, making way is when the vessel is moving through the water. So you can be “underway” (ie adrift or floating) but not making way.

ductape1000

Here.
Reaction score
You’re correct, making way is when the vessel is moving through the water. So you can be “underway” (ie adrift or floating) but not making way.
Ok, so let me rephrase my question to get your opinion using these definitions...

Does floating in the channel with the engine off fit under the definition of being underway??

Same question for being in the main body of the lake...

Thanks

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Run all the lights Ya want to, underway, beached, whatever. It's all legal.

Ever seen Deadliest Catch? Huge lights like it's daylight, underway, fishing.

USS Riverside, in Laughlin, lights on everywhere while underway, plus the scrolling sign about the Prime Rib Room.

Both of these examples are in U.S. Coast Guard patrolled waters.

Boat Cop will likely tell me I'm wrong, but what about these examples?

Dan'l

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Boatcop has defined this before that if you are not on shore, tied to a dock, or anchored, you are Underway. Meaning all the rules for lighting while underway apply.

This came up because someone got a DUI while drifting down the river in a raft.

At least that is how I remember it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

lbhsbz

Reaction score

USS Riverside, in Laughlin, lights on everywhere while underway, plus the scrolling sign about the Prime Rib Room.

Dan'l

What if you’re floating with an anchor tied to 5 feet of rope, not touching the bottom.

ductape1000

Here.
Reaction score
Boatcop has defined this before that if you are not on shore, tied to a dock, or anchored, you are Underway. Meaning all the rules for lighting while underway apply.

This came up because someone got a DUI while drifting down the river in a raft.

At least that is how I remember it.

This is how I understand it, but there is conflicting information floating right now.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
You are Underway according to Boatcop.

That is like walking your dog with a leash on the dog, but the dog is dragging the leash on the ground with no person holding it.

ductape1000

Here.
Reaction score

Dan'l
Well, this I'm not going to do. I don't need to ask for an encounter with law enforcement.

The discussion was that a LEO was saying navigation lights only once you leave the shore, dock or anchor.

The misinformation being put out by someone was that you can run them when floating with the engine off and underway meant that the engine was on and in gear.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
The Coast Guard definition of underway is that a vessel is not at anchor, or made fast to the shore or aground.
I believe this is the correct definition. It really isn't that complicated. And Grads hasn't even checked in . . . . Yet.

ductape1000

Here.
Reaction score
I believe this is the correct definition. It really isn't that complicated. And Grads hasn't even checked in . . . . Yet.
I understand.

So in your opinion, floating in the channel with your engine off is "underway" ?

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
I understand.

So in your opinion, floating in the channel with your engine off is "underway" ?

Yes. You are entirely responsible for your vessel and passengers if you are not beached, or tied up dockside, or anchored.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
RW interviewed a Sheriff at the Street Party about the use of the Safeglow whips. He said you could use any color but blue on shore. The second you leave shore, navigation lights only (front red & green, and 360* white light). He was very clear about this. He didn't cover underway, but Boatcop has covered this before.

ductape1000

Here.
Reaction score
RW interviewed a Sheriff at the Street Party about the use of the Safeglow whips. He said you could use any color but blue on shore. The second you leave shore, navigation lights only (front red & green, and 360* white light). He was very clear about this. He didn't cover underway, but Boatcop has covered this before.
This is the discussion I speak of... ;)

The Sargent was very clear. The interviewer both in the video and in the comments muddied the water... [emoji869][emoji41]

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
Ok, so let me rephrase my question to get your opinion using these definitions...

Does floating in the channel with the engine off fit under the definition of being underway??

Same question for being in the main body of the lake...

Thanks

Yes

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Saw guy on Parker" underway" in a flat black toon totally wrapped in blue lights.
It looked like a Hollywood back alley underage nightclub.
Might as well have had a big sign that said amateur on it.

rvrrun

Reaction score
Now that is funny coming from you. Did u say u were from anchorage, Alaska [emoji202]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Yeah, I knew that was going to bite me in the ass sooner or later.

TBI

Thumbless Wonder
Reaction score
What if you're anchored to a treadmill?

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
Underway: Not anchored, moored or aground. All applicable navigation lights must be displayed. Underway has nothing to do with any engines, transmission(s) (in/out of gear) drifting with the current or anything else. If the vessel is floating and not made fast to the ground by anchor or direct grounding, nor moored (tied off) to a stationary object (dock, bollard, pier, wharf, buoy, dolphin, dock, rock, etc., or tied to another vessel that is moored, grounded or anchored as such** they are underway.

Anchored means anchor set and any/all headway/motion (except from swinging on the anchor with the tides or current) is stopped. A dragging anchor or anchor deployed, but not set, is still underway. Until the anchor is set and made fast to the bottom, the vessel is underway.

Referring to crabbing, or fishing/trawling boats, there are special lights that they must display, signifying what their activity is and how long (the distance) any lines or nets are out, and which side of the vessel the nets/lines are deployed from. Plus any outriggers are lighted. Those lights are mounted on the very top of the mast, and are visible above any deck lights, work lights or spot lights that may be in use for the crew to see, or alert other vessels to their presence.

**In the case of being tied off to a moored/anchored/aground vessel, once that vessel is free from it's moor, you (as are they) are underway, and proper lights should be displayed.

Last edited:

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
You have to realize that there are literally dozens of navigation light combination. Everything from:

A row boat (flashlight or lantern with white light to be displayed to another vessel to avoid collision)
CN-navigation-lights-6.jpg

Hovercraft
mlr08_s5_f04_co [Converted]web.jpg

Submarine
index.png

Dredge
dredge lights-thumb.jpg

And just about anything else you can imagine.

If you even THINK about boating on Big Water (Ocean, Great Lakes, Mississippi River, etc.) you better make damn sure you know what different lights mean on different classes of vessels. 'Cause if you don't, you WILL get run over.

Advantage 1

Reaction score
If the vessel is floating and not made fast to the ground by anchor or direct grounding, nor moored (tied off) to a stationary object (dock, bollard, pier, wharf, buoy, dolphin, dock, rock, etc., or tied to another vessel that is moored, grounded or anchored as such** they are underway.

Classic. Those Parker dolphins are mean.

ductape1000

Here.
Reaction score
Underway: Not anchored, moored or aground. All applicable navigation lights must be displayed. Underway has nothing to do with any engines, transmission(s) (in/out of gear) drifting with the current or anything else. If the vessel is floating and not made fast to the ground by anchor or direct grounding, nor moored (tied off) to a stationary object (dock, bollard, pier, wharf, buoy, dolphin, dock, rock, etc., or tied to another vessel that is moored, grounded or anchored as such** they are underway.

Anchored means anchor set and any/all headway/motion (except from swinging on the anchor with the tides or current) is stopped. A dragging anchor or anchor deployed, but not set, is still underway. Until the anchor is set and made fast to the bottom, the vessel is underway.

Referring to crabbing, or fishing/trawling boats, there are special lights that they must display, signifying what there activity is and how long (the distance) any lines or nets are out, and which side of the vessel the nets/lines are deployed from. Those lights are mounted on the very top of the mast, and are visible above any deck lights, work lights or spot lights that may be in use for the crew to see, or alert other vessels to their presence.

**In the case of being tied off to a moored/anchored/aground vessel, once that vessel is free from it's moor, you (as are they) are underway, and proper lights should be displayed.
Thank you for the clarification again. This was my understanding from following your posts previous conversations. [emoji106]

For all that are following this, there is a video on Facebook that was taken that interviews a Mohave County Sheriff's Sargent where he talks about the whip lights. The discussion also leads into underwater lights and interior lights since all this lighting has become very popular. He states a couple of times about "once you leave the beach" you need to have navigation lights only. The interviewer muddies that when he talks about floating in the channel. In the comments I posted the pic I did here and he gave his interpretation as being with the engine on and in gear. At that point I stepped out of the conversation.

So to my RDP brothers and sisters,
I hope this clears up the definition of "underway" for those that didn't know. Don't get caught with your shorts down after sunset. ;)

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
One of the key things about any lights displayed underway, other than those specified in the Rules, is that they cannot:

a) Be mistaken for ANY other lights specified ANYWHERE in the Rules or:

b) Cover, disguise or wash out the vessel's own navigation lights.

A couple of examples of lights being mistaken for other lights.... a steady yellow or amber light (hovercraft or towing lights)... flashing yellow or amber lights (submarine or non-law enforcement emergency lights... such as fire boats, towing services, Coast Guard Auxiliary, etc) .......... blue light (Law enforcement).... even a flashing white strobe-light is listed in the Rules as a distress signal. And dozens of other combinations.

ductape1000

Here.
Reaction score
One of the key things about any lights displayed underway, other than those specified in the Rules, is that they cannot:

a) Be mistaken for ANY other lights specified ANYWHERE in the Rules or:

b) Cover, disguise or wash out the vessel's own navigation lights.

A couple of examples of lights being mistaken for other lights.... a steady yellow or amber light (hovercraft or towing lights)... flashing yellow or amber lights (submarine or non-law enforcement emergency lights... such as fire boats, towing services, Coast Guard Auxiliary, etc) .......... blue light (Law enforcement).... even a flashing white strobe-light is listed in the Rules as a distress signal. And dozens of other combinations.
So it sounds like the easiest thing to do is to shut down anything visible from the outside of the boat to be on the safe side. ;)

4Waters

Reaction score
Can you use an all white whip, it's still 360° visable and white.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Can you use an all white whip, it's still 360° visable and white.
My understanding of the Sergeant was it should only be the top section when underway.

Yes, the Sergeant clearly said, and pointed out, that you cannot have the whole whip lit up in white for navigation while underway (it is illegal). The whips have a new setting that just lights up the top 2"-3" in white light that is legal for your 360 light. The new whips come that way, I can't remember if she said they could retrofit older whips.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
Dolphin: A dolphin is an isolated, usually vertical, marine structure for berthing and mooring of vessels.

View attachment 641018

...When I lived aboard...I would see those tripod telephone pole things in various places inside the breakwater...Always wondered what they were for...Now I know...Unless you are pulling our anchor-chain???...:eek:

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
You have to realize that there are literally dozens of navigation light combination. Everything from:

A row boat (flashlight or lantern with white light to be displayed to another vessel to avoid collision)
View attachment 641014

Hovercraft
View attachment 641009

Submarine
View attachment 641010

Dredge
View attachment 641011

And just about anything else you can imagine.

If you even THINK about boating on Big Water (Ocean, Great Lakes, Mississippi River, etc.) you better make damn sure you know what different lights mean on different classes of vessels. 'Cause if you don't, you WILL get run over.
Restricted in their ability to maneuver, by night - red/white/red - is one of the few times the "Rules" mention "making way". This vessel shall also display side lights (red & green) when actually making way. Not likely to be seen around here. But, fairly common in many other areas.

Taboma

Reaction score
Restricted in their ability to maneuver, by night - red/white/red - is one of the few times the "Rules" mention "making way". This vessel shall also display side lights (red & green) when actually making way. Not likely to be seen around here. But, fairly common in many other areas.

Leaving Avalon in pitch black at 5AM starting day 2 of the Gold Cup Marlin tournament many years ago. An entire fleet of large sport fishing boats hauling ass (Yeah even the big boys love to throw the sticks down hard), one of the leaders jumps on the radio to warn everybody there's a tug towing a barge approaching the island heading towards the quarry. That slowed everybody down quick.
Of course the radar was blazing with moving dots as everybody dispersed, but eventually we spotted it. I'm betting they had at least a 1/4 mile of cable out, so on the screen it just looked like a boat following another boat. The tug was fairly easy to spot with the extra white lights on the mast head (But would we have known it was a barge ? (We did, after I scrounged around in the cabin and found the book we hadn't used in years), but the barge nav lights were barely visible. Running between them could seriously ruin your life :eek: