WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Unique holiday traditions

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Not really "Unique" I don't think. Usually one day during Thanksgiving weekend my wife, kids, brother in law and his girlfriend and myself, will blow off somewhere between 500 and 1000rds. Target, trap and leftover pumpkins. .22, 5.56, 12g and .357...American fun;)

JayBreww

Reaction score
Play LCR with everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hawgty55

Reaction score
Well growing up in a divorced home i feel that its unique but some of the norm in this forum but to spend time with friends and family in a desert or water scene instead of the traditional home style venue.
My parents were divorced when i was young and dads holiday was Thanksgiving and always spent it in the dunes. I have been trying to keep the tradition of camping on going. Hope yall had a great day.

brownsuger

Reaction score
Local radio station here has played Alice's Restaurant by Arlo Guthrie at noon on Thanksgiving for as long as I can remember.... I've listened now for at least 35 years straight.... Not Thanksgiving unless I hear that song at noon....

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Haven't played it in the last couple of years but we (family) used to play JACKASS during the holidays.
Five card poker and the looser of each game gets a letter written on their forehead with eyeliner from the current winner of that game. Once you had JACKASS written on your forehead you were out of the game. Funny rule was first two players out had to walk to the local liquor store and buy more beer and cigarettes. All the time everyone is looking at you and wondering what you have going on in life. :p
Fun times for sure.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Odd Christmas one. My wife must have chorizo and eggs Christmas morning...This I find funny, as her and her family are whiter than paper:p
I grew up on pancakes Christmas morning, then off to Grandma's for menudo mid morning...to kickoff the afternoon grazing:D
Good times!

Essexive G's

Reaction score
Did that one year, the kids thought it was awesome that Santa decorated the tree.

It’s tough to try to do it in today’s world. When I was a kid the Christmas season started after Thanksgiving. The outside lights would go up after Thanksgiving. The tree would be bought the week before Christmas and brought in the house on Christmas Eve. Christmas lasted until the end of January. Today, with people putting up lights before Halloween, and most people putting trees up around Thanksgiving there are no good trees left on the lots a week before Christmas. They are either dead, or not big enough. Today you will see most trees on the curb the week after Christmas.

4Waters

Reaction score
It’s tough to try to do it in today’s world. When I was a kid the Christmas season started after Thanksgiving. The outside lights would go up after Thanksgiving. The tree would be bought the week before Christmas and brought in the house on Christmas Eve. Christmas lasted until the end of January. Today, with people putting up lights before Halloween, and most people putting trees up around Thanksgiving there are no good trees left on the lots a week before Christmas. They are either dead, or not big enough. Today you will see most trees on the curb the week after Christmas.
Trash pickup will only pick them up for the 2 weeks after Christmas here, after that you have to get rid of it yourself or cut it up to fit it in the yard can.