WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

UPDATE - 5th Wheel to Gooseneck Idea Scrapped - Lifting System Instead

King295

Well-Known Inmate #20225
Reaction score
Looking to see if any inmates have feedback on converting a 5th wheels pin box to a gooseneck. I have a GMC 2500 with the 6' 6'' bed which led me to buying a Curt Q24 hitch with the R24 slider. I have yet to need to use the slider (likely due to the 5th wheel being new in 2018 and having a rounded nose). I've put my rig into some tight spots and don't ever foresee being in a situation that would require me to use the slider. The main reason I want to swap is I am flat out tired of lifting the 5th wheel hitch out of my bed (requires two strong guys with the head pulled off first). My truck is equipped with the 5th wheel and gooseneck prep package so it operates on the puck system. I'd much rather just drop a gooseneck ball in the puck than deal with the 5th wheel hitch.

I figure by the time I swap out the pin box and buy the gooseneck ball, I could sell my 5th wheel hitch and be close enough to break even to make the swap worth while. Anyone have experience doing this? Any recommendations on gooseneck pin boxes would be appreciated.

IMG_7455 (1).jpg

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
I went the other way, equipment trailer was gooseneck/ag. hitch. It was converted to 5th wheel/kingpin. Ag hitch was a pain in the ass to hook up. I have a gooseneck ball mounting plate that fits the mounting rails of the 5th wheel hitch, haven't used it in ~12 years or so. My 16K Reese hitch doesn't look nearly as heavy as yours, 150 lbs I'd guess.

Dan'l

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Looking to see if any inmates have feedback on converting a 5th wheels pin box to a gooseneck. I have a GMC 2500 with the 6' 6'' bed which led me to buying a Curt Q24 hitch with the R24 slider. I have yet to need to use the slider (likely due to the 5th wheel being new in 2018 and having a rounded nose). I've put my rig into some tight spots and don't ever foresee being in a situation that would require me to use the slider. The main reason I want to swap is I am flat out tired of lifting the 5th wheel hitch out of my bed (requires two strong guys with the head pulled off first). My truck is equipped with the 5th wheel and gooseneck prep package so it operates on the puck system. I'd much rather just drop a gooseneck ball in the puck than deal with the 5th wheel hitch.

I figure by the time I swap out the pin box and buy the gooseneck ball, I could sell my 5th wheel hitch and be close enough to break even to make the swap worth while. Anyone have experience doing this? Any recommendations on gooseneck pin boxes would be appreciated.

View attachment 936349

Not that I know anything about 5w since I'm still looking at them, but why would you do this? It seems the 5w pinbox and hitch system is far superior as far as trailering quality goes vs a gooseneck that seems it would be harsher to the contents of the towed vehicle.

Goosenecks have their place, but I think its more for livestock trailers where the contents of the trailer dont care about the ride?

King295

Well-Known Inmate #20225
Reaction score
I went the other way, equipment trailer was gooseneck/ag. hitch. It was converted to 5th wheel/kingpin. Ag hitch was a pain in the ass to hook up. I have a gooseneck ball mounting plate that fits the mounting rails of the 5th wheel hitch, haven't used it in ~12 years or so. My 16K Reese hitch doesn't look nearly as heavy as yours, 150 lbs I'd guess.

Dan'l
I bought the hitch not knowing if I would need the slider. I know there are lighter hitches out there but not really an area I want to skimp on. I grew up in a horse family and gooseneck trailers were always around. I always like simplicity. With the puck gooseneck ball option it just seems so much easier than having to have a friend stop by and lift this thing out. I've contemplated rigging up a hoist system but my 1960's built garage isn't exactly framed for it and I see it being easier to swap the pin box than reframe the garage for a hoist.

Not that I know anything about 5w since I'm still looking at them, but why would you do this? It seems the 5w pinbox and hitch system is far superior as far as trailering quality goes vs a gooseneck that seems it would be harsher to the contents of the towed vehicle.

Goosenecks have their place, but I think its more for livestock trailers where the contents of the trailer dont care about the ride?

I probably covered this in my response to mash on it above but it really comes down the weight of the hitch and having to remove it all of the time with the help of a friend. My 5th wheel primarily lives at the river in the summer with one or two desert trips per year, if any at all. I use my truck bed regularly for riding MX and am tired of having to deal with lifting the damn thing in and out. I've towed living quarter horse trailers with gooseneck setups and they tow the same as my 5th wheel for the most part.

25Elmn8r

Reaction score
I haven't used it myself but have heard the Reese Goose Box air ride is the way to go.

We have a couple gooseneck trailers and the ability to just pull the pin and turn the ball over is the best when you need to use the bed. All 3 of our trucks have gooseneck hitches. When I finally get the new toy hauler/travel trailer I will def be converting to gooseneck.

hallett21

Reaction score
Im trying to see the downside to
A gooseneck?

Are they not rated as heavy as a 5th wheel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WYRD

Reaction score
Im trying to see the downside to
A gooseneck?

Are they not rated as heavy as a 5th wheel?

They are rated for more weight however they're pretty unforgiving on the trailer frame. Most fifth wheels are not built to sustain the rougher ride. At least that's what I've been taught?

hallett21

Reaction score
They are rated for more weight however they're pretty unforgiving on the trailer frame. Most fifth wheels are not built to sustain the rougher ride. At least that's what I've been taught?

So 5th wheels have built in suspension?

WYRD

Reaction score

The kingpin articulates as the trailer rides down the road where the gooseneck is just riding on a ball

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score

5w usually have some articulation in the pin box or on the 5w hitch itself which allows the 5w to travel forwards and backwards as well as some tilt side to side to give it the ability to take some of the motion of travel out before its transmitted harshly to the 5w itself.

Your ad here

Reaction score
The adapters add 12" to 16" of length to the pin box. Think of the extra length as a cheater bar. Over time the leverage will crack the pin box. 5th wheel has a side to side limit if you ever get twisting. There is no limit on a gooseneck and it will smack the bed or just tip over.

HavaToon

Reaction score
Keep the 5W and buy a cheap folding Harbor Freight engine hoist. It works perfect for me to lift out my B&W 5W slider, 250lbs solo.

AzMandella

Reaction score
My buddy has a gooseneck to pull his Balboa . it has a lever that retracts the ball when not in use so you have complete use of your bed . Only takes a few seconds to pop it out or retract it .

King295

Well-Known Inmate #20225
Reaction score
Keep the 5W and buy a cheap folding Harbor Freight engine hoist. It works perfect for me to lift out my B&W 5W slider, 250lbs solo.

I contemplated this but was concerned about the hoist having a long enough reach to get to the king pin. I bought this lifting bracket from e-trailer which I planned to use with a chain fall mounted to my garage header (in between the roll up door). Are you able to reach with the hoist over the tail gate to lift straight up or do you have to slide the hitch towards the back of bed?

dm6100_3_1000.jpg

King295

Well-Known Inmate #20225
Reaction score
Would it be feasible to leave the fifth wheel hanging from the trailer and just disconnect it from the truck?

While researching alternatives this comes up quite a bit. I wouldn't want it dangling around for extended periods of time for a few reasons (1) it looks ridiculous (2) can't be good for the jaws of the hitch (3) would be a pain in the ass to get it lined back up and most importantly (4) I don't want he liability of it hanging there and someone running into it. When my rig is at my house it has about 3 feet of clearance from the side walk. I put a stabilizer under the pin box and put foam padding on the edges of the pin box to ensure there are now hard edges that someone can walk into. I heard of someone in OC that had his rigged parked out front of his house with less clearance to the sidewalk and a lady walking her dog went face first into his pin box. I could only imagine the liability nightmare that could come of that.

WYRD

Reaction score
I have the b&w companion hitch so I sympathize with you on the weight. I cheat though by using a 15k forklift to load/unload. I have heard good things about the reese goose box mentioned above. Google it and watch the video, seems legit.

I might switch mine out when I have some leftover beer money 🤔 🤣

King295

Well-Known Inmate #20225
Reaction score

HavaToon

Reaction score
I contemplated this but was concerned about the hoist having a long enough reach to get to the king pin. I bought this lifting bracket from e-trailer which I planned to use with a chain fall mounted to my garage header (in between the roll up door). Are you able to reach with the hoist over the tail gate to lift straight up or do you have to slide the hitch towards the back of bed?

dm6100_3_1000.jpg

I have to slide the hitch a little bit to about the end of the bed, It is never on my tailgate. Really easy to do solo and takes up very little room. I typically store the 5W right on top of the hoist legs and roll the whole thing into a corner of the garage.

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
The adapters add 12" to 16" of length to the pin box. Think of the extra length as a cheater bar. Over time the leverage will crack the pin box. 5th wheel has a side to side limit if you ever get twisting. There is no limit on a gooseneck and it will smack the bed or just tip over.
True but when adding the additional length to the trailer hitch to convert it to gooseneck you will also add leverage to the Trailer and most trailer Mfg's will not stand behind the warranty if you use a gooseneck hitch due to the added stress that it puts in the Trailer Hitch and Frame.

King295

Well-Known Inmate #20225
Reaction score
I have to slide the hitch a little bit to about the end of the bed, It is never on my tailgate. Really easy to do solo and takes up very little room. I typically store the 5W right on top of the hoist legs and roll the whole thing into a corner of the garage.

Figured that would be the case. I don't think I could even get it out of the pucks on my own, damn hitch is a tank but I knew that going in.

I am going to try my garage hoist system, if I don't like it I will make the swap. Either way I will post up my results.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Figured that would be the case. I don't think I could even get it out of the pucks on my own, damn hitch is a tank but I knew that going in.

I am going to try my garage hoist system, if I don't like it I will make the swap. Either way I will post up my results.
use the trailer to lift it out of the pucks and slid it back in the bed for you. Then you the cherry picker to lift it up and out.

King295

Well-Known Inmate #20225
Reaction score
use the trailer to lift it out of the pucks and slid it back in the bed for you. Then you the cherry picker to lift it up and out.

Good idea, that could make things easier. The main reason I wrote-off the cherry picker idea was that I will have to store it in my garage. Sure I can get the folding Horrible Freight version but it will still take up valuable real estate in my 2 car garage. The hitch already takes up enough when on a moving dolly in the garage.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Good idea, that could make things easier. The main reason I wrote-off the cherry picker idea was that I will have to store it in my garage. Sure I can get the folding Horrible Freight version but it will still take up valuable real estate in my 2 car garage. The hitch already takes up enough when on a moving dolly in the garage.

Then just put the hitch on the dolly like usual and fold up the cherry picker. They dont take up that much space when all folded up. Maybe there is somewhere else that a cheap machine could be stored where it is less in the way than the garage (side of the house?)

wzuber

Reaction score
why not store the cherry picker under the trailer near the back under a cover of some sort? Side yard utility area?

Tunnelfun

Reaction score
As stated above, the gooseneck adapter is a no no unless the trailer is altered for the load changes. Requires opening up the sheet metal and taking the welder to the frame. Been there done that twice with 12,000 pound camper trailers. And only one didn't need it, a 16,000 pound Travel Supreme.
With no structural changes the goose can and generally will flex the ENTIRE front box subframe of the trailer. But not all of them. You can take this info to heart my friend.
Now, the head separates with one large pin from my little 16,000 pound Reese hitch for my camper and then the rest is much easer for one person to remove. The little hitch has been fine for 20 years now. Usually $100 on Craigslist anytime you want one. This would be my recommended course of action.
My goose plate fits the Reese rails and pulls my 22,000 pound goose flat bed trailer dozer, motor grader, or backhoe just fine. Yes, love the goose.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
If I ran a gooseneck, I’d run one of these for a smoother ride.

Heck if I get another 5er, I’ll get their 5th wheel setup...all their stuff puts suspension between the trailer and truck.

I had an air ride pinbox, but there was still a hard mounting point. This GenY stuff has no hard mounting points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
As stated above, the gooseneck adapter is a no no unless the trailer is altered for the load changes. Requires opening up the sheet metal and taking the welder to the frame. Been there done that twice with 12,000 pound camper trailers. And only one didn't need it, a 16,000 pound Travel Supreme.
With no structural changes the goose can and generally will flex the ENTIRE front box subframe of the trailer. But not all of them. You can take this info to heart my friend.
Now, the head separates with one large pin from my little 16,000 pound Reese hitch for my camper and then the rest is much easer for one person to remove. The little hitch has been fine for 20 years now. Usually $100 on Craigslist anytime you want one. This would be my recommended course of action.
My goose plate fits the Reese rails and pulls my 22,000 pound goose flat bed trailer dozer, motor grader, or backhoe just fine. Yes, love the goose.
Reese makes a gooseneck adapter replacement (replaces the entire 5th wheel pin box) that is approved by Lippert that will not void their frame warranty.

lbhsbz

Reaction score

Why not just leave it hanging on the trailer?

or get one of these? https://www.harborfreight.com/pickup-truck-bed-crane-1000-lb-capacity-60732.html

King295

Well-Known Inmate #20225
Reaction score
Why not just leave it hanging on the trailer?

or get one of these? https://www.harborfreight.com/pickup-truck-bed-crane-1000-lb-capacity-60732.html

See post #16 where I got into my reasoning for not leaving it hanging from the pin box. There isn't a chance in hell I could get myself to bolt a crane (albeit a Horrible Freight) in the bed of my brand new Duramax, I'm just flat out too OCD for that.

I've decided I am going to try out my garage hoist idea. Basically it will entail hanging a manual chain hoist from a few heavy duty brackets from my garage header beam in the small opening between my roll up garage door. If all goes well I will have an easy way to pull the hitch out myself. If that idea fails (which if it does will likely take out my brand new garage door) I will be swapping the pin box for the Reese air ride gooseneck pin box. I have all the parts for the hoist deal except for one shackle I need to pick up from Home Depot. I will be reporting back in the next few weeks on that front with pics.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
See post #16 where I got into my reasoning for not leaving it hanging from the pin box. There isn't a chance in hell I could get myself to bolt a crane (albeit a Horrible Freight) in the bed of my brand new Duramax, I'm just flat out too OCD for that.

Make it a hitch mount.
I've decided I am going to try out my garage hoist idea. Basically it will entail hanging a manual chain hoist from a few heavy duty brackets from my garage header beam in the small opening between my roll up garage door. If all goes well I will have an easy way to pull the hitch out myself. If that idea fails (which if it does will likely take out my brand new garage door) I will be swapping the pin box for the Reese air ride gooseneck pin box. I have all the parts for the hoist deal except for one shackle I need to pick up from Home Depot. I will be reporting back in the next few weeks on that front with pics.

King295

Well-Known Inmate #20225
Reaction score
Make it a hitch mount.

The hitch mount cranes don't have the reach to get to the middle of the bed either which puts me in the same situation as a cherry picker.

King295

Well-Known Inmate #20225
Reaction score
****UPDATE****

Well, after kicking around the idea of converting my 5th wheel pin box to a gooseneck due to my hitch being a royal pain in the ass to get in and out of my truck (requiring two strong younger guys at a minimum with the head pulled off) I went ahead with my attempt at a garage lifting system. The idea here was to be able to remove and install my 5th wheel hitch without any help.

To start, I bought these 2,400lb swing hangers from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015OXL2MW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I mounted these with 1/2'' lag bolts that were 6'' long into the header beam of my garage on the inside as shown below:

1 - Mounts.jpg

2 - Mounts.jpg

From Home Depot I bought two pieces of approx 16'' of heavy duty chain and 2,000 lb D ring shackles (quantity 4) which are connected to the hangers which allows for a Harbor Freight 1 ton chain fall hoist to be hung in between the roll up garage door. Here they are mounted up to the swing hangers:

3 - Chains.jpg

4 - Chains.jpg

Prior to hooking up the chain fall hoist, I backed in my truck under the chains hanging down and got it lined up. To secure the hitch to the chain fall hoist I picked up this Demco 5th wheel lifting bracket from eTrailer: https://www.etrailer.com/Accessorie...yTQuyKnxxrtwYDWwd5-l9TkU5hxC03RQaAjYuEALw_wcB

5 - eTrailer Demco 5th Wheel Lifting Bracket.jpg

6 - Backed In.jpg

7 - Backed In Lined Up.jpg

Once I had everything lined up I hooked up the chain fall hoist to the hanging chains and secured the lifting bracket into the 5th wheel hitch. From there (which I didn't take pictures of as this was my first go-round and I wanted the hitch suspended for the least amount of time possible) I hoisted the hitch up out of the factory puck system and pulled the truck forward.

Now with the hitch hanging I dropped it down onto a moving dolly and rolled it away into the corner of the garage.

8 - Pulled Out.jpg

9 - On Moving Dolly.jpg

Once completed, all I have to do is unclip the chain fall hoist from the hanging chains, remove the chains from the swing hangers and the garage door can be operated as normal.

Overall it went really well, I need to take about 2 links of chain out of each chain to allow for a little more lifting height as I had to have my wife pull the truck out while I held the hitch perfectly level so the pucks on the bottom of the hitch didn't clip my tailgate as it pulled out.

While I'm not saying this is the absolutely best/safest way to do this, it works well for the 2-4 times a year I will need to install or remove my 5th wheel hitch from my truck. I will be sticking with the 5th wheel pin box as I believe it does provide a better ride than a gooseneck would, plus I have a slider in case I get in any tight situations since my truck is a short bed.

Last edited:

3.Slow

Reaction score
Good thinking, I had the same issue with my air ride hitch, too heavy to remove, I ended up getting a cherry picker and with my 5th wheel tailgate I was able to get it out, with the height of new trucks, that might prove more difficult.

King295

Well-Known Inmate #20225
Reaction score
Good thinking, I had the same issue with my air ride hitch, too heavy to remove, I ended up getting a cherry picker and with my 5th wheel tailgate I was able to get it out, with the height of new trucks, that might prove more difficult.

Yeah I tried to find a long reach cherry picker but couldn't find one that would work with a traditional tail gate. Plus I didn't want to store the thing in my garage (2 car garage). This setup stows away easily and takes up much less valuable real estate.

Icky

Reaction score
Another option would be to leave it attached to the trailer and thenrig it off the trailer with the cherry picker

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
Another option would be to leave it attached to the trailer and thenrig it off the trailer with the cherry picker
Why take it off? Leave on the trailer. Its stored out of the rain, its not taking up shed, shop, garage space. When its time to use it again, back truck under and lower the landing jacks, unhook it and then your able to slide it around to hook it in the bed.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Icky

Reaction score
Why take it off? Leave on the trailer. Its stored out of the rain, its not taking up shed, shop, garage space. When its time to use it again, back truck under and lower the landing jacks, unhook it and then your able to slide it around to hook it in the bed.

I just bought a 2 year old one from some guy that kept in either on his truck under his bed cover or in his garage.......looks almost new

LakeMead Boater

Reaction score

I think @King295 said there was an issue with that in his front yard. The trailer already hangs into the sidewalk and he doesn’t want any “Karen” lawsuits with it on there.

Sherpa

Reaction score
I think adding small air tires/wheels and a handle then using ramps to roll the hitch down the ramps to unload would have “things” made specifically to complete this task....

but I can’t make out details of the hitch in the pics I’ve seen...

Angler

Tritoon Racing
Reaction score
I've been towing a 5th wheel trailer/toyhauler for the last 20 years. Those goose-neck setups scare the crap out of me.
I use a 20k Pullrite 5th wheel hitch with under bed rails. You can pull out the hitch and rails within 15 minutes.
It just leave 4 2" holes in the bed.
I will never understand why peeps buy a short bed truck for hauling a 5th wheel.

WYRD

Reaction score
Because a long bed crew cab looks a bit outta sorts like cousin Eddie crusin down the road.

COUSIN-EDDIE-1.jpg

Plus in my experience I've only needed to use the slider once.

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
I have seen those adapters break

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Cause you can't get a mega cab from the factory with a long bed 😁

Honestly a lot of it is this...the second is garage size.

We have a mega cab..but we aren't buying a fifth wheel. My daughters are horse kids..so its a horse trailer for us. My in laws who are a little more fancy than our trashy asses (haha) it was about garage size.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
****UPDATE****

Well, after kicking around the idea of converting my 5th wheel pin box to a gooseneck due to my hitch being a royal pain in the ass to get in and out of my truck (requiring two strong younger guys at a minimum with the head pulled off) I went ahead with my attempt at a garage lifting system. The idea here was to be able to remove and install my 5th wheel hitch without any help.

To start, I bought these 2,400lb swing hangers from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015OXL2MW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I mounted these with 1/2'' lag bolts that were 6'' long into the header beam of my garage on the inside as shown below:

View attachment 953553

View attachment 953554

From Home Depot I bought two pieces of approx 16'' of heavy duty chain and 2,000 lb D ring shackles (quantity 4) which are connected to the hangers which allows for a Harbor Freight 1 ton chain fall hoist to be hung in between the roll up garage door. Here they are mounted up to the swing hangers:

View attachment 953555

View attachment 953556

Prior to hooking up the chain fall hoist, I backed in my truck under the chains hanging down and got it lined up. To secure the hitch to the chain fall hoist I picked up this Demco 5th wheel lifting bracket from eTrailer: https://www.etrailer.com/Accessorie...yTQuyKnxxrtwYDWwd5-l9TkU5hxC03RQaAjYuEALw_wcB

View attachment 953557

View attachment 953558

View attachment 953559

Once I had everything lined up I hooked up the chain fall hoist to the hanging chains and secured the lifting bracket into the 5th wheel hitch. From there (which I didn't take pictures of as this was my first go-round and I wanted the hitch suspended for the least amount of time possible) I hoisted the hitch up out of the factory puck system and pulled the truck forward.

Now with the hitch hanging I dropped it down onto a moving dolly and rolled it away into the corner of the garage.

View attachment 953560

View attachment 953561

Once completed, all I have to do is unclip the chain fall hoist from the hanging chains, remove the chains from the swing hangers and the garage door can be operated as normal.

Overall it went really well, I need to take about 2 links of chain out of each chain to allow for a little more lifting height as I had to have my wife pull the truck out while I held the hitch perfectly level so the pucks on the bottom of the hitch didn't clip my tailgate as it pulled out.

While I'm not saying this is the absolutely best/safest way to do this, it works well for the 2-4 times a year I will need to install or remove my 5th wheel hitch from my truck. I will be sticking with the 5th wheel pin box as I believe it does provide a better ride than a gooseneck would, plus I have a slider in case I get in any tight situations since my truck is a short bed.
Looks like a fairly straight forward and inexpensive method there.

A little update on my parents trailer...... my dad looked into my suggestion of the Reese goose box and decided to go with it since it does not void the frame warranty (Lippert warranties the Reese goose box on most of their frames) and he got a new 2021 Denali HD. He towed it for the first time over new years and LOVES IT! He said there is no more jerking around in the hitch assembly what-so-ever and with the shock and air bag in the box it rides MUCH smoother that his old Reese slider. He's now looking for a new taneu cover so he can use the top mount bed camera to line up the ball even easier (the cover blocks his view of the ball). He actually likes it so much he had to come thank me for suggesting it to him (he never does that).

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

King295

Well-Known Inmate #20225
Reaction score
Looks like a fairly straight forward and inexpensive method there.

A little update on my parents trailer...... my dad looked into my suggestion of the Reese goose box and decided to go with it since it does not void the frame warranty (Lippert warranties the Reese goose box on most of their frames) and he got a new 2021 Denali HD. He towed it for the first time over new years and LOVES IT! He said there is no more jerking around in the hitch assembly what-so-ever and with the shock and air bag in the box it rides MUCH smoother that his old Reese slider. He's now looking for a new taneu cover so he can use the top mount bed camera to line up the ball even easier (the cover blocks his view of the ball). He actually likes it so much he had to come thank me for suggesting it to him (he never does that).

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Thanks for posting this up, I thought that air bag set up would some of the jerking out of towing but didn't want to go through all the hassle to find out. A gooseneck ball is still way more appealing than the 5th wheel hitch in the bed especially since he has the puck system, so easy to pop the ball out and move on with life. When I tow my 5th wheel, if I unhook away from home, I'm still stuck with that damn thing back there. Would be nice to have my bed if needed but for what I do the juice isn't worth the squeeze.