WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Update: Please Sign Petition for 2022 Long Beach Sprint Boat Nationals!

Zeke27G

Reaction score
Update: Orginally this post was about the permit being denied, but now that there is a petition in place to allow the race, I've changed the name of this thread in hopes of gaining more signatures! Note: I wasn't involved in setting up the petition.

Please sign, comment and donate if you can! Thank you!

https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/long-beach-sprint-nationals

Orignal post:

Although I was bummed to see this, I can't say I'm surprised. Hopefully Ross is able to pull some strings?!

https://lbpost.com/news/city-denies...ls-speedboat-race-after-fatal-crash-last-year

Last edited:

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Not the first time unfortunately.......homeowners along the stadium have been trying for years to end it, fatal last year really helps their cause sadly. It is a great place to race, so many fans you feel like a rockstar but it is pretty narrow especially for the K boats at the speeds they are traveling, it would be pretty easy for a boat to go up into the crowds.

Backlash

Reaction score
How many injuries and/or deaths have occurred at the Toyota Grand Prix over the years? 🤷‍♂️

timstoy

Reaction score
How many injuries and/or deaths have occurred at the Toyota Grand Prix over the years? 🤷‍♂️
One driver died years ago in a support race. The race organizers wine and dine city officials and make sure they get premium seating and anything else they want. Most of them could not tell you who won the race the next day they just what to be with the movers and shakers in the city. The city used to have a green room for city management, free food, alcohol and other freebies. I had a friend get us in one year and ran into my Department Manager I don’t think he knew I had friends in upper city management. He always seamed more friendly to me after that day!

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
One driver died years ago in a support race. The race organizers wine and dine city officials and make sure they get premium seating and anything else they want. Most of them could not tell you who won the race the next day they just what to be with the movers and shakers in the city. The city used to have a green room for city management, free food, alcohol and other freebies. I had a friend get us in one year and ran into my Department Manager I don’t think he knew I had friends in upper city management. He always seamed more friendly to me after that day!
Staggering differences in money spent and made by sponsors, media, tickets etc., than a boat race, that will always dictate the outcome.

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
Not the first time unfortunately.......homeowners along the stadium have been trying for years to end it, fatal last year really helps their cause sadly. It is a great place to race, so many fans you feel like a rockstar but it is pretty narrow especially for the K boats at the speeds they are traveling, it would be pretty easy for a boat to go up into the crowds.

Have you ever been to sprint car races.. the spectators are in danger at every turn. Our local track now makes you sign a waver when you purchase your ticket or enter the gate. Even our local sanddrag track makes the participants and spectators sign a waver when you drive through the gate.

It is an excuse for the homeowners(that probably bought knowing there is boat racing) to push the issue. As everyone in the venue knows the risk they are taking as soon as the pass through the entry gate!

Sad to see for sure cause watching some boat racing in the stadium is a bucket list item for me.

timstoy

Reaction score
Staggering differences in money spent and made by sponsors, media, tickets etc., than a boat race, that will always dictate the outcome.
This is the main reason the city treats Ross this way. They ignore him and won’t meet with him till the last minute then place the bar so high hoping he will just give up. I thank Ross for his dedication to keep boat racing alive. Ross said a few months ago that Lake Ming is in jeopardy as homes are being built near the lake. Also it looks like Firebird Raceway in Arizona is closing next year for highway improvements. The future of boat racing is under attack.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
That sucks. Had great memories going there when my son was a little guy. Being that close to the action back in the day was awesome. We would position ourselves along a straightaway and be prepared to dive behind our truck if needed. Literally you could back right up and put your tailgate down. Last time I went was a meet up with Carl.

RIP Carl

Backlash

Reaction score
It's a sport that is being cast aside for one reason or another. Its unfortunate because that's where our love of boat racing can be on full display for all to see, up close. 😡

traquer

Reaction score
That sucks. How many times are there races there? If it's every month I can see it, but is it only once or twice a year? C'mon..

timstoy

Reaction score
That sucks. How many times are there races there? If it's every month I can see it, but is it only once or twice a year? C'mon..
Only one circle boat race a year at Marine Stadium. Drag boats used to run a couple of races a year but that was decades ago. Lucas started putting out feelers about a possible drag boat race return at the stadium but then they dropped out drag boat racing altogether.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
This is the main reason the city treats Ross this way. They ignore him and won’t meet with him till the last minute then place the bar so high hoping he will just give up. I thank Ross for his dedication to keep boat racing alive. Ross said a few months ago that Lake Ming is in jeopardy as homes are being built near the lake. Also it looks like Firebird Raceway in Arizona is closing next year for highway improvements. The future of boat racing is under attack.
Thats the way it was for my last race there, we literally got the green light a week or less before race day. Really screwed over the teams that traveled from far away.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
That sucks. Had great memories going there when my son was a little guy. Being that close to the action back in the day was awesome. We would position ourselves along a straightaway and be prepared to dive behind our truck if needed. Literally you could back right up and put your tailgate down. Last time I went was a meet up with Carl.

RIP Carl
Funny you mentioned that, before I raced there I was a spectator and Carl was who invited us to come down and hang out by his motorhome, had never met him till then, he got there at the crack of dawn to get a spot.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Funny you mentioned that, before I raced there I was a spectator and Carl was who invited us to come down and hang out by his motorhome, had never met him till then, he got there at the crack of dawn to get a spot.
Carl loved those races. Always made sure people felt welcome def one of the good guys you meet in life

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
Ross should have had trophy girls all this time. Judging by the age of our family dog.this photo was shot in 1970
IMG_3149.JPG

Joe mama

Reaction score
I’m waiting for this situation to happen for Catalina ski race. Maybe they will just move the start finish line 5 miles out.👎🏻 Even though you can’t see the whole race it’s a great time just watching and listening to the guys coming and going and the announcers . I wish they would bring back the jumbo Tv, I only recall that thing there one time.

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
It's a sport that is being cast aside for one reason or another. Its unfortunate because that's where our love of boat racing can be on full display for all to see, up close. 😡
Being cast aside (from some reasons I’ve heard). Is because Long Beach is going “green”. Don’t want the noise the pollution etc. YET. The Grand Prix. And other events which bring in more money will be allowed to go on So as smart people like you are. Make your decisions why. Has nothing to with safety or blah blah blah. It’s money. And has been said bought politicians and city officials.

Also as said with newer rules on capsules etc. maybe there is room for debate at least.

timstoy

Reaction score
This is getting print in the local papers. Ross hired an attorney that kept Irwindale Raceway open to appeal the city’s permit denial. Ross also said a petition is in the works. Let’s get behind this!

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I hope he gets it worked out. Most of the neighbors love the race (at least the ones overlooking the water). There is one lady who lives right over the camping spots, that hates the races, and claims to have a friend on the city council.

Why do complaining Greenies always need to ruin everything??

timstoy

Reaction score
I hope he gets it worked out. Most of the neighbors love the race (at least the ones overlooking the water). There is one lady who lives right over the camping spots, that hates the races, and claims to have a friend on the city council.

Why do complaining Greenies always need to ruin everything??
This is exactly why we have to keep the heat on. If you live in LB contact your councilman, they don’t like complaints and they push the complaint to city hall. If you don’t live in the city call city hall and complain, tell them how much you spend to stay in LB for the weekend. Meals, hotel’s, motels, race tickets let them know you spend your money in LB on race weekend. The city loves tourism dollars!

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Pomona is in the same situation. Drags twice a year. TWICE. And moron homeowners complain. Its not like the Drags haven't been going on well before the homes showed up so there's no mystery what you're buying into. Should be a requirement when buying a home near an airport, sporting venue, dragstrip etc that you and your descendants are barred for life from complaining about it going on.

My dad raced at Marine Stadium in the 50's and early 60's as part of the Pasadena Boat and Ski Club. I've got several pictures of it (I've posted some in threads here in the past). Nothing but oil derricks. We went out and watched a few races, this was back when they made the boats run mufflers, it was missing that sound we all attend motorsports events for. I was nostalgic for its heyday. Now its a borderline goner.

Long Beach somehow tolerates the Catalina Ski Race, but it doesnt seem like they are going out of their way to make it easy on the LB Boat & Ski Club (god bless them for hanging in there). The race is hosted by a hotel and all the land activities are held there, not the City. The CG and LB Lifeguards are required to make sure no one hits a freighter, but its only getting harder to pause the harbor activities for the start of the race, and deal with all the spectator boats. I figure they are trying to get to the 100th race as a nice milestone and an achievement of a tradition, and then it might run out of steam...

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Someone once posted that the stadium was part of a trust, and keeping the races going was a stipulation of the trust...I’m prolly forgetting the real details but has anyone ever confirmed this?

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I signed it, and shared the link to both my FB page, and the RDP Group.

Luv2gofast

Reaction score
Just signed and it's up to 2392! Here's a piece of history that was in my dad's stuff...Boat racing has been going on since at least 1932!

Attachments

• img20220509_16042644.jpg
    img20220509_16042644.jpg
    679.2 KB · Views: 53