WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

upgrading Bravo 1 lower unit

bartel

Reaction score
I was talking to a neighbor at the river this past weekend. He seems to know his stuff. Well i was talking about how to get some more speed out of my boat and he had mentioned that replacing the lower unit with a shorter unit would give me a pretty good increase at the top end.

I have been doing my research to see what motor mods can be done but it seems like there is more potential and cost effective ways to getting some more speed by upgrading the out drive instead of the motor.

What do you guys think of this. And what gains are reachable by upgrading your outdrive.

Reaction score
I was talking to a neighbor at the river this past weekend. He seems to know his stuff. Well i was talking about how to get some more speed out of my boat and he had mentioned that replacing the lower unit with a shorter unit would give me a pretty good increase at the top end.

I have been doing my research to see what motor mods can be done but it seems like there is more potential and cost effective ways to getting some more speed by upgrading the out drive instead of the motor.

What do you guys think of this. And what gains are reachable by upgrading your outdrive.
what boat do you have I may be able to set you up with a 2" shorter lower if you would like to try one before you buy one

Ragged Edge

Man in the Box
Reaction score
what boat do you have I may be able to set you up with a 2" shorter lower if you would like to try one before you buy one

Wow what a cool offer. Bartel, I would talk with them about this, these guys know how to make a boat go fast. It will take much of the guess work out of what you are trying to accomplish.

The question you are asking is not simple to answer without knowing what boat/engine/drive set up you currently have. A generic answer could lead you in the wrong direction.

bartel

Reaction score
i have a 2006 placecraft 22 foot deckboat. running a 496 mag and bravo 1 with a 26 prop on it that was worked over by cutting edge propellers.

that would be a great offer. that way i am not spending the cash to see if it improves my boat. And if it does not help or makes it worse then i can try something else

Reaction score
i have a 2006 placecraft 22 foot deckboat. running a 496 mag and bravo 1 with a 26 prop on it that was worked over by cutting edge propellers.

that would be a great offer. that way i am not spending the cash to see if it improves my boat. And if it does not help or makes it worse then i can try something else
I need to put one together but your welcome to try it give me a call 928-855-7420 ask for bart

Maw

Dont re Member
Reaction score
We moved up to a -2" lower unit but prop slip increased dramatically. To get the slip under control we had to move from a 28" 4 blade to a 26" 5 blade. The overall gain was around 4 MPH (as I remember).

bartel

Reaction score
maw do you have a similar set up to mine?

TEAGUE CUSTOM MARINE

Reaction score

Have you tried the -2.00"? It is going to slip a bit more on the bottom and mid range but the boat may like the top end? and possibly a small dia 5 blade with some bow lift and bring the slip down?

Most builders usually have the X pretty dialed in. If -2.00" doest work, you can always space it back down to exactly where you want it.

-Eric