WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Upgrading the stereo multimedia player

E4L

Reaction score
Anyone upgraded to a multimedia head unit in their boat. Just wanted to see what unit you went with. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Anyone upgraded to a multimedia head unit in their boat. Just wanted to see what unit you went with. Thanks

I have a kicker KMC 10 or 20 in my Hallett. Pretty simple to use and I’ve been happy with it.

Reactions: E4L

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
JL Audio Master Media 100-be absolutely love it. Rumor is they are soon releasing a new one with full integrated app on your phone so you’ll never even have to touch the head unit again, just use the phone and app.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
What is the difference from a multimedia and a regular deck? I have an alpine cde 164

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

E4L

Reaction score
JL Audio Master Media 100-be absolutely love it. Rumor is they are soon releasing a new one with full integrated app on your phone so you’ll never even have to touch the head unit again, just use the phone and app.

Have you had any issues with keeping your phone connected Bluetooth? I read some reviews that mentioned this.

rvrrun

Reaction score
Have you had any issues with keeping your phone connected Bluetooth? I read some reviews that mentioned this.

Our new boat uses the same JL head unit but it’s controlled through the touchscreen most of the time. Once I paired it, it worked flawlessly.

Reactions: E4L

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
What is the difference from a multimedia and a regular deck? I have an alpine cde 164

In a modern stereo, no functionality difference.

Multimedia refers to USB, Bluetooth, Pandora, etc. connectivity built in. So if you have an older stereo, yes there is a difference. For less than $100 you can replace the older single DIN with a multimedia single DIN and have all the modern functionality without changing the mounting hole or hardware in the boat.

The different form factor allows for a nicer screen in a boat vs the single DIN of the traditional car stereo, but functionally they are identical.

I have a single DIN Alpine UTE-72BT in my boat with their RF remote at the helm. Not fancy at all but gets the job done just fine.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
In a modern stereo, no functionality difference.

Multimedia refers to USB, Bluetooth, Pandora, etc. connectivity built in. So if you have an older stereo, yes there is a difference. For less than $100 you can replace the older single DIN with a multimedia single DIN and have all the modern functionality without changing the mounting hole or hardware in the boat.

The different form factor allows for a nicer screen in a boat vs the single DIN of the traditional car stereo, but functionally they are identical.

I have a single DIN Alpine UTE-72BT in my boat with their RF remote at the helm. Not fancy at all but gets the job done just fine.

Thats what I was thinking. About the only thing that would be an upgrade from what i have is being able to tune it through your phone in BT mode.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Thats what I was thinking. About the only thing that would be an upgrade from what i have is being able to tune it through your phone in BT mode.

For ~$100 it may be worth just upgrading head units to the newest Alpine every few years. If you get a new Alpine, the wiring will be the same as your current one. It is probably a 5-15 minute plug and play swap to have that bluetooth functionality.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score

I’ve heard on the original (non BE) they had issues with the Android based phones wife and i both have iPhones and never an issue. Actually connects pretty immediately.

E4L

Reaction score
I’ve heard on the original (non BE) they had issues with the Android based phones wife and i both have iPhones and never an issue. Actually connects pretty immediately.

Awesome good to know. I’m thinking of going with that new kicker KMC5 depending when they get off the boat.

DLC

Reaction score
I have a wet sounds and it works great
controls RGB lights in multiple areas colors strobes, speaker zones and also have 2 wired remotes frt and rear on the boat, blue tooth and sat radio & wired I pod, easy to see read during the day - sunshine

stop by wired for sound or call em for full details!

Rbcconst

Reaction score
For ~$100 it may be worth just upgrading head units to the newest Alpine every few years. If you get a new Alpine, the wiring will be the same as your current one. It is probably a 5-15 minute plug and play swap to have that bluetooth functionality.

I think mine is a 2015. Wonder if its time?

sintax

Reaction score

hahah my brother in law fights with this EVERY time we are on his boat. I swear he spends half of the day fucking with his phone and the BT connectivity. Seems like the hardest part is getting it connected the first time for him.

I've been less than impressed with the headunit, but i THINK its the best option out currently for a boat. I have also thought about just bypassing the headunit and running a line level input into the amp.

Rondog4405

Reaction score
hahah my brother in law fights with this EVERY time we are on his boat. I swear he spends half of the day fucking with his phone and the BT connectivity. Seems like the hardest part is getting it connected the first time for him.

I've been less than impressed with the headunit, but i THINK its the best option out currently for a boat. I have also thought about just bypassing the headunit and running a line level input into the amp.
Sounds like me.. I end up saying fuck it and praying someone else pulls up with music..

RodnJen

Reaction score
Swapped out the old Alpine for a new Alpine, less the CD player. Everything works great.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score

Has he updated the headunit? It takes a few minutes, i haven’t had any connection issues but few other little things that JL has addressed with the updates have really made it a better unit.

Glad i said it, looks like there’s a new update out there as of 02/07/20

sintax

Reaction score
Has he updated the headunit? It takes a few minutes, i haven’t had any connection issues but few other little things that JL has addressed with the updates have really made it a better unit.

Glad i said it, looks like there’s a new update out there as of 02/07/20

zero chance hes done this, hes not very techy. I'll knock it out for him when we're out at DS this year, I THINK thats our first trip out together.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
zero chance hes done this, hes not very techy. I'll knock it out for him when we're out at DS this year, I THINK thats our first trip out together.
I just loaded on my laptop half hour ago probably go outside later and install. If the rear of his isn’t accessible I’d highly suggest this cable, makes everything a lot easier.