WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Upriver questions.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
So I went up the river yesterday for the first time. No problem in my little boat.
So is that the “sandbar” up around the big right hand turn?
I turned around there.
Also, and more importantly, did I blow through a speed limit zone without knowing it? I keep hearing about speed restrictions in “the gorge”, but I have no idea where that is!

(Windsor to that turn is like 9.7 miles. I did that in about 8 minutes according to GPS)
DD8E340D-733F-491C-9CC7-3A687041BBE6.jpeg

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
So I went up the river yesterday for the first time. No problem in my little boat.
So is that the “sandbar” up around the big right hand turn?
I turned around there.
Also, and more importantly, did I blow through a speed limit zone without knowing it? I keep hearing about speed restrictions in “the gorge”, but I have no idea where that is!

(Windsor to that turn is like 9.7 miles. I did that in about 8 minutes according to GPS)
View attachment 934288

That is the Sandbar. You didn’t get to the Devil’s Elbow no wake zone yet.

The next no wake zone after that is approaching the bridge at the 40 as you exit the gorge.

Tank

Reaction score
How have you never been to the sand bar?

That's the old big party sand bar where all the shinnanigans used to go down in the early 2000's (think girls gone wild video, drilldo, strippers, etc etc) and where those aerial veiws of hundreds of boats and people were taken.

There's no speed limit from the opening of the mouth to the sandbar. You are most likely thinking the "no skiing" bouys about a mile up river from the opening of the river mouth were 5mph bouys, they are not.

If you would have kept running another few miles you'd come to the gorge. It's probably one of the most spectacular parts of the river and should definitely be seen.

Gorge: ;)

bbbb.png

hallett21

Reaction score
Fun fact there’s no speed limit either side of the sand bar. Might get the bird on the inside though lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
How have you never been to the sand bar?

That's the old big party sand bar where all the shinnanigans used to go down in the early 2000's (think girls gone wild video, drilldo, strippers, etc etc) and where those aerial veiws of hundreds of boats and people were taken.

There's no speed limit from the opening of the mouth to the sandbar. You are most likely thinking the "no skiing" bouys about a mile up river from the opening of the river mouth were 5mph bouys, they are not.

If you would have kept running another few miles you'd come to the gorge. It's probably one of the most spectacular parts of the river and should definitely be seen.

Gorge: ;)

View attachment 934290

Gotta do a little maintenance today, but might head up again this afternoon?

Tank

Reaction score
Gotta do a little maintenance today, but might head up again this afternoon?

I don't know what boat you're running but when you make the left turn right after the sport you took that pic there's a fairly large sand bar you cant see to the left. Stay right and stay in the middle coming back down. Keep on trucking to the gorge, go through the 5mph zone and then keep on going to TOPOC / Pirates which is right under the big bridges (where there's another 5mph zone). Then if you're feeling real adventurous and gas permits, keep on going to the Needles bridge, check out the houses up that way. Only other sandbar you have to worry about between Topoc and Needles bridge is another on that you can't really see to the left about half way. You can tell the area because the R/R to your left as your running up river has the huge overhead signal lights. I think it's about 25 miles or so Windsor to Needles bridge. Maybe a little more. Great run. We did it like 3 times last week. LOL

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I don't know what boat you're running but when you make the left turn right after the sport you took that pic there's a fairly large sand bar you cant see to the left. Stay right and stay in the middle coming back down. Keep on trucking to the gorge, go through the 5mph zone and then keep on going to TOPOC / Pirates which is right under the big bridges (where there's another 5mph zone). Then if you're feeling real adventurous and gas permits, keep on going to the Needles bridge, check out the houses up that way. Only other sandbar you have to worry about between Topoc and Needles bridge is another on that you can't really see to the left about half way. You can tell the area because the R/R to your left as your running up river has the huge overhead signal lights. I think it's about 25 miles or so Windsor to Needles bridge. Maybe a little more. Great run. We did it like 3 times last week. LOL

If I keep it off the secondaries somewhat I can make that pretty easy.
7A45A9AB-6F1D-48E5-A5D2-D13E8882F753.jpeg
E12D1049-3A39-475B-905B-3ADB57FE1B91.jpeg

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
This is the one Tank is talking about I think.

It’s about 1 1/2 miles north of “the sandbar”. It’s been building up pretty good over last several years. It is actually marked now.

Spent some some sitting the yesterday. Ankle deep clean, clear, cool water with a sandy ledge.

IMG_0992.jpg

fmo24

Reaction score
Gorge is beautiful early morning. Plus your exhaust echoing off the walls adds to it in my opinion lol

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
The sandbar by the huge overhead signal lights is that the one everyone talks about going up to the Avi?
I know 2FF has done it in his toon and we want to do it next time out in our toon.

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score

It’s about 1 1/2 miles north of “the sandbar”. It’s been building up pretty good over last several years. It is actually marked now.

Spent some some sitting the yesterday. Ankle deep clean, clear, cool water with a sandy ledge.

View attachment 934324

That fucker got me good back in Feb. CA side is deep and the AZ side is shallow right? Im still a little pissed about that one 🤬🤬🤬

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

View attachment 934324

Yep, that is gonna be the new hangout pretty soon here.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Saw people starting to congregate there this season. Nice clean sand like the original "Sandbar" used to be.

I did as well. Between now and next season it will get advertised on Riverwhips, and then the few of them that can afford gas for their boats and actually do go to Havasu will be there.

So like a dozen of them :)

Tank

Reaction score

View attachment 934324

Yep, that be the one. I did notice some people chillin over the past week / weekend there. May have to beach up next season.

Here it is from the air. Red is the old sandbar, blue is this one.
sb4.png

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score

View attachment 934324

I think that's the one Thane from Nordic dry-docked😄 that big white 40'er on last year.
Edit: now that I see the pic above, pretty sure he hit the one between those on Ca side.

Tank

Reaction score
The sandbar by the huge overhead signal lights is that the one everyone talks about going up to the Avi?
I know 2FF has done it in his toon and we want to do it next time out in our toon.
The run from Needles bridge to the naked turtle is fantastic! Stop half way and jump in the water and float a bit and then keep on truckin'. I think it's about 60 mile round trip.

The only sandbar from Topoc to the Needles bridge is this one. Frankly, I wont take the Cig past the Needles bridge. I ran a seadoo up there last weekend and A) there are some absolutely cool / gorgeous water front homes and B) that water looked SOOOOOO shallow and it was all rocks at the bottom. Now, the water is super clear and can be deceiving but FUUUUUUUCK that. I've heard there are other sand bar spots on the way up to the Avi. I've also talked to plenty of people that run outdrive boats up that way with no issue. I just don't want to chance it.

This is the sand bar between Needles bridge and Pirates / Topoc. It's nearly dead center between the Topoc Bridge and Needles bridge. You can look for the large R/R signals and there's a R/R bridge and wash to ID it. I usually just stay center of the river up that way. Tends to piss some people off but whatever.

This is from google earth and is obviously an older image. This focker stick minimum of half way out now. I was just there last week.
sb1.png

sb2.png

sb3.png

D19

Reaction score
Fun fact there’s no speed limit either side of the sand bar. Might get the bird on the inside though lol

Haha so true! It's always funny to see people freak out when someone does that.

Tank

Reaction score
If I keep it off the secondaries somewhat I can make that pretty easy.
View attachment 934313 View attachment 934314

That's running a Jet right? You will have zero issues even going past the needles bridge, which again, you should go up and check out the river front houses. Pretty killer. You can get gas at Pirates and at the Needles marina which is a stones throw down river from the bridge. However it is $5.50 a gallon!

mbrown2

Reaction score
The one that tank posted and the one that is circled in blue look like different spots. By description Tank's looks like it is on the CA side and the blue circle looks further north on AZ side... someone please clarify.

Tank

Reaction score
The one that tank posted and the one that is circled in blue look like different spots. By description Tank's looks like it is on the CA side and the blue circle looks further north on AZ side... someone please clarify.
The one circled in red is the old party sand bar from the 2000's that BLM planted reeds on and was closed because it was getting too crazy. The blue circle is the newly formed sand bar over the past couple years.

Tank

Reaction score
I think that's the one Thane from Nordic dry-docked😄 that big white 40'er on last year.
Edit: now that I see the pic above, pretty sure he hit the one between those on Ca side.
Pretty sure the blue circled one is the one Thane unexpectedly got to enjoy during the RD run.

mbrown2

Reaction score
The one circled in red is the old party sand bar from the 2000's that BLM planted reeds on and was closed because it was getting too crazy. The blue circle is the newly formed sand bar over the past couple years.
I get where/what the red one is ....but you said if he was going pass the sandbar north and turned left he would need to avoid the shallows on the left which would be the Cali side... In addition, looking at where that hazard bouy is by the picture of the pontoon that looks like Cali side...not north in the Gorge on the AZ side....but I may be mistaken.

Tank

Reaction score
I get where/what the red one is ....but you said if he was going pass the sandbar north and turned left he would need to avoid the shallows on the left which would be the Cali side... In addition, looking at where that hazard bouy is by the picture of the pontoon that looks like Cali side...not north in the Gorge on the AZ side....but I may be mistaken.
Sorry, not past the gorge, past the sandbar.

I don't see where I said there was one after the gorge. If I did I mispoke. or mistyped.

Tank

Reaction score
Btw @was thatguy , for verbal reference the turn just south of "the sandbar" is officially named Blankenship Bend.
And if you're running a cat be careful there! That water gets spooky in a cat. Only time I've felt a cat slide out from under us in a basically low speed turn (70 ish).

Reactions: DWC

DWC

Reaction score
And if you're running a cat be careful there! That water gets spooky in a cat. Only time I've felt a cat slide out from under us in a basically low speed turn (70 ish).
Haven’t there been quite a few lower speed accidents in that same spot? I agree. Feels a bit sketchy heading upriver at speed right at the bend.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Lol, that'd be a high speed turn for mine...but yeah, the way the water rebounds off the Ca side is weird.

PlanB

Reaction score

Our O/B cats would slide through that turn at speed, especially our Skater because we were running the motors high. You would feel the slide then it would grab. Weird feeling.

Tank

Reaction score
The is a pic of the gorge yesterday (beach all by ourselves), looking north (from Devil’s Elbow) where the no wake zone begins from the south end.

View attachment 934366

I LOVE that spot. We beach up there often. It's great because its just inside the 5mph zone but you get to see all the boats coming and going and getting on plane or coming in hot. Perfect spot.

Chillin there last year:

gorgesb.png

Good shot coming down into the gorge traveling south.

heading into gorge.png

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
That's running a Jet right? You will have zero issues even going past the needles bridge, which again, you should go up and check out the river front houses. Pretty killer. You can get gas at Pirates and at the Needles marina which is a stones throw down river from the bridge. However it is $5.50 a gallon!

Yeah, Jet

78CCF8F5-2F8B-4D7A-B3E1-56A4652713F0.jpeg

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Tommy the gorge is gorgeous!!!! LOL You got to do it.

King295

Well-Known Inmate #20225
Reaction score

View attachment 934324

About damn time that marked that thing. Overcast day and a bunch of kayakers last winter got me there.

That fucker got me good back in Feb. CA side is deep and the AZ side is shallow right? Im still a little pissed about that one 🤬🤬🤬
You sir are correct, and you are not alone.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Haven’t there been quite a few lower speed accidents in that same spot? I agree. Feels a bit sketchy heading upriver at speed right at the bend.

That's dead mans curve for DCB's running 50mph

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
@was thatguy , I don't know squat about Havasu, but the gorge north...got that handled. There are fuel docks at Pirates and Needles Marina, if you get adventurous. In a jet, this time of year is really cool. It gets a little shallow just past needles bridge on the Ca side, and then again about 3/4 of a mile up, same side. If you push it more, look up near Willow Valley/Budweiser rd...nasty freakin' island on the Ca side..
Do the gorge though. Really cool sights and really close.

havasuhusker

Reaction score
I LOVE that spot. We beach up there often. It's great because its just inside the 5mph zone but you get to see all the boats coming and going and getting on plane or coming in hot. Perfect spot.

X2 for the reasons stated.

mbrown2

Reaction score
Sorry, not past the gorge, past the sandbar.

I don't see where I said there was one after the gorge. If I did I mispoke. or mistyped.
No worries...it is the way I wrote it...I think I get the jist of the area/location 👍

Magic Mike

Reaction score
Turn the engine off at Davis dam and float back down😀

The gorge is one of my favorite places on earth.

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
This is a pic of the gorge yesterday (beach all by ourselves), looking north (from Devil’s Elbow) where the no wake zone begins from the south end.

View attachment 934366

That beach in front of the palm tree is crappy. Never go there. I am there a lot and speak from experience.