WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Urban Boat Surf Session . . .

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
I seen a spot that was 'trying' to work a few months back under a weak south swell.

Called my long time buddy and said, "next time there's a low tide / south swell combo, hit me up".

He tagged me 2 days ago and we made the plan . . . 4:00 am at my pad, and we'd slide in the mini-whaler . . .
_DSC4353.JPG

Dudes 52 and still gets after it . . .
_DSC4401.JPG

Jumping off a 15 Whaler at 5:30 into a new spot . . .
_DSC4405.JPG

Swell was still pushing, even with the last of the out-going tide . . .
DSC04422.JPG

Spinning off the jetty corner pretty good . . . (don't wanna enter the harbor on that side) . . .
DSC04577.JPG

Hard for me to drive the boat... take pics, not get plucked, and not get ran-over by boats leaving/ entering the harbor.
DSC04544.JPG

My buddy played it safe and carved around 20 waves, then hollered at me and said, "I'm good Bro" !
Every wave he caught was a 100 yard plus runner.
I spliced a couple dock lines together and tied one end off to the lifting ring on the transom and made a bowline loop on the other . . . after his last wave, I rolled inside, tossed him the line and said, "hang-on" . . . and drug him out of the harbor over to the leeward side where he hopped-in.
A few 'High-5's' . . . slipped out of his wetsuit, cracked a cold Pacifico and we went and caught a couple dozen bass on the breakwater before calling it a day.
Good times !
DSC04561.JPG

Last edited:

Jay Dub

Reaction score
I seen a spot that was 'trying' to work a few months back under a weak south swell.

Called my long time buddy and said, "next time there's a low tide / south swell combo, hit me up".

He tagged me 2 days ago and we made the plan . . . 4:00 am at my pad, and we'd slide in the mini-whaler . . .
View attachment 1142846

View attachment 1142849
View attachment 1142850

View attachment 1142851

Spinning off the jetty corner pretty good . . . (don't wanna enter the harbor on that side) . . .
View attachment 1142852
Hard for me to drive the boat... take pics, not get plucked, and not get ran-over by boats leaving/ entering the harbor.
View attachment 1142853
My buddy played it safe and carved around 20 waves, then hollered at me and said, "I'm good Bro" !
I spliced a couple dock lines together and tied one end off to the lifting ring on the transom and made a bowline loop on the other . . . after his last wave, I rolled inside, tossed him the line and said, "hang-on" . . . and drug him out of the harbor over to the leeward side where he hopped-in.
A few 'High-5's' . . . slipped out of his wetsuit, cracked a cold Pacifico and we went and caught a couple dozen bass on the breakwater before calling it a day.
Good times !
View attachment 1142857
wow, so fun.

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Sweet SB jetty?
Yes.
Driving home on PCH the Surfside Jetty was completely out of control . . . it was breaking from the past the tip all the way in, and way far off the rocks.
Didn't realize how much sand must've pushed in there. Crazy to see.

boatnam2

Reaction score
Yes.
Driving home on PCH the Surfside Jetty was completely out of control . . . it was breaking from the past the tip all the way in, and way far off the rocks.
Yes.
Awesome pics, you are ripping!

Riverryder

Reaction score
fuck yeah!! you win the internet today.. what a post and epic story!!

hows pops doing? really enjoyed the stories you share about him

chopperx

Germaine Marine
Reaction score

View attachment 1142846

View attachment 1142849
View attachment 1142850

View attachment 1142851

View attachment 1142852
View attachment 1142853
Good times
Epic start to the day

C-2

Reaction score
Crazy cool; job well done by both of you! Thanks for sharing

boatnam2

Reaction score
Lived in seal for a awhile but only seen cloud break go off once, SB south jetty break once about 10 years ago, guessing it was 20+ since its an half mile past jetty hard to tell but it was huge, the waiter i use to see at the Yucatan restaurant showed up while i was watching, he was about 50 then and paddled out, some of the most insane rides i have seen someone get, seemed like a 10 minute ride.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Seal Beach - Surfing. Never realized my wife had
BB39C368-60A6-422A-9A35-B0E6351BF66E.png
a criminal past until this old piece of paper work from SBPD turned up about her. Interesting that at one point they used the word ‘he’. Believe me, there was absolutely no way you could have confused her with a boy.

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Lived in seal for a awhile but only seen cloud break go off once, SB south jetty break once about 10 years ago, guessing it was 20+ since its an half mile past jetty hard to tell but it was huge, the waiter i use to see at the Yucatan restaurant showed up while i was watching, he was about 50 then and paddled out, some of the most insane rides i have seen someone get, seemed like a 10 minute ride.
Funny story . . . do you know that oil rig straight out in front of Huntington Harbor???
Apparently when they were originally building it, a large storm took it out so they started all over right next to the orig. spot. (maybe 1983?)
(If you go over it with a fish finder, you can still see some of the rubble) . . .

Anyways, when I was in my late teens / early 20's I had a 15' Aluminum Gregor with a 15 HP Merc.
My buddy and I were out there fishing and there was a giant west swell.
We were at the LB breakwater and we could swells stacking up and just 'Barely' capping over under that oil rig.
We were done fishing and decided to go check out this 'phantom wave' . . . . we circled around on plane and watched a few ramp up and just 'barely' cap over.
We timed one of the sets as it crested under the rig and dropped into it off the side . . . it was hilarious . . .l as we slide down the face, I could actually back off on the throttle !!! . . . . it wasn't steep at all, but it def. had a ramp to it . . . . we carved back and fourth and rode that thing all the way to the Huntington Harbor mouth . . . my buddy was sitting up front and he was leaning and shifting his weight back and fourth laughing the whole time. Fun times.

Somewhere online there are a few photos of that wave with a guy surfing it. And I think there is a video or photo of a lifeguard board riding it as well.
Takes a very large swell for it to show, but it's still there.

EDIT . . . I found a clip of it from 2019 . . . It's only the 1st 2-minutes of the video.

boatnam2

Reaction score
Few pics i had of big seal.

Attachments

• 22ADC47E-BCDC-4F3E-A1A2-6D3E03F90A27.png
    22ADC47E-BCDC-4F3E-A1A2-6D3E03F90A27.png
    5.8 MB · Views: 10
  • 60DF714D-2F8B-40DF-A5E5-01D1B5BCB5A0.png
    60DF714D-2F8B-40DF-A5E5-01D1B5BCB5A0.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 9
  • F11C811D-0A43-4DFD-A8E6-67923D61039A.png
    F11C811D-0A43-4DFD-A8E6-67923D61039A.png
    6.1 MB · Views: 9

Havasu Surfer

Reaction score
So awesome to hear there are still a few rogue spots around. Great pics! We have a few in south OC that show up when a big south or winter west hit. There is a hollow right off a private beach in Monarch Bay just north of Salt Creek and another known as Rockpile just below Las Brisas restaurant in downtown Laguna Beach. There are a few more but have to keep ‘em on the DL. 😉

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
LA/LB breakwater fishing. We used to pull abalone off those rocks at low tide. They were Black Abs, but still abalone. Properly tenderized and sautéed they were great.

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
fuck yeah!! you win the internet today.. what a post and epic story!!

hows pops doing? really enjoyed the stories you share about him
He's doin great thanks for asking !
Turned 90 on July 15th.
We fished the breakwater this morning in his Whaler . . . cool sunrise.
My buddies nick-named the seat on the bow 'The Pommel Horse' . . .LOL 🤣
I looks goofy, but it's perfect for keeping an eye on Pops, and the bow rail helps keep him 'In' the boat. LOL
DSC04709.JPG