WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Us festival 1983

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
“I forgot the fucking words”..... David Lee Roth. :p
I just moved to the west coast in October of 83. Wasn’t there but enjoy all the hot chicks they show during the Triumph segment!!! There was a blonde they showed getting sprayed with the water hose. Absolutely gorgeous. :oops: During Magic Power.

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
I missed the US Festival but made it to Day on the Green.

nowski

Reaction score
I past on the US festival and instead went biking and off roading that weekend in Gorman. Cool story, I lost my wallet with a $100 bucks and credit cards out there in the middle of the desert somewhere. About two weeks later I received a letter (address only no name) in the mail saying my wallet was found, call this number to identify. I called the guy and gave him my detailed information etc and about a week later I received a small package with my wallet and all it's contents. That experience gave me faith that honest people still exist in this world...

Now back to the thread: I use to frequent Hollywood quite often in my younger years and saw many bands back in the day. I saw J.P. in the late 70's at The Starwood, maybe 300 people in attendance unlike 300,000 at the US Festival...

HCP3

Reaction score
I’ve posted bits and pieces of this in the “what are you listening to now” thread.
Who here was there?

I wasn't born yet to see the show, but I love Judas Priest. Hard to beat Painkiller.

Last edited:

Hallett285

Reaction score
I was there both years. Still have a t-shirt and some other stuff. Good times for sure.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

C-2

Reaction score
Hah, you know I was there!

2 days; rock and new wave. The weekend before the show the crew we rode with spied out an offroad trail , and on concert Saturday we rode in the back of a step-side 4X4 over the hills and into a back entrance; 1/2 hour ride.

New Wave day was kind of uneventful, but on the rock day during Quiet Riot we made it down to "the pit," but then my head started spinning from the heat, so I bugged out and got lost from my group.

Saw my first live titties there (I was 16)...spent my last $2 on a corn dog and then dropped it on the ground...and then night fell. I was freezing and at the rear stage area I saw some people lined up against the fence waiting for VH to come out. They had heaters going and you could see inside the VIP tents. A little short guy was walking along the fence, shaking hands and asking people how they liked the show...it was The Woz. David Lee Roth came out, stumbled around by the fence but went on stage.

Best show ever. 100K people in one place, at one time, it was awesome.

Imagine that, I was 16 and went away for a 2-day rock festival, riding up the 15 freeway and offroading in the back of a pickup, wearing a shirt and shorts only, and I only had $20 in my "rip it" wallet.

I won't leave the house these days without a bottle of water and my cell, lol.

Hands down, on New Wave day, Stray Cats were the best, Clash was MEH;

nowski

Reaction score
For you guys that went to the festivals what band was your must see and what band surprised you???

John Cougar was another one of those bands that I saw at The Starwood, best kept secret in town...

The Prisoner

Reaction score
I wasn't born yet to get to see the shoW, but I still love Judas Priest. Hard to beat Painkiller.
X10. Now that’s music..we actually devolved to what we have today? Bullshit. Put on Death Row from Jugulator on 10 ...rip your throat out.:p

Reactions: C-2

coz

-------------------
Reaction score
I wasn't born yet to get to see the shoW, but I still love Judas Priest. Hard to beat Painkiller.

You have good taste for a young man. 🤘😎🤘

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
I was there. Rode my Honda CB900F down from Fremont where I lived at the time, just to attend the event. Lots of talent on the stage and in the crowd. And it was HOT...

ROCKMAIN.jpg

Opening day of US ’82 alone, capped by the Police in peak performance before more than 100,000 fans (“one of our biggest shows ever,” Copeland contends), presented a staggeringly strong lineup from start to finish. In order of appearance: Gang of Four, the Ramones, the English Beat, Oingo Boingo, the B-52’s, Talking Heads (who former Register critic C.P. Smith wrote were flat that night) and the headliner, mid-tour behind their fourth album, Ghost in the Machine, and in ripping form.

The crowd doubled in size for Day 2, with thousands parking as far as a dozen miles away to bake and dehydrate in near-record 112-degree heat, accompanied by reversed Santa Ana winds and water shortages. Beer went for $1.50, cheeseburgers for $2.75, ham and eggs $4.50.

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers closed that portion, after sets from Santana, Pat Benatar, a roaring turn from the Kinks (bolstered by a 14-minute “Lola” singalong), a surprisingly powerful hour from the Cars, plus Eddie Money and Dave Edmunds. Attendees awoke on Day 3 for breakfast with the Grateful Dead (who encored with the Stones’ “Satisfaction”) before Jimmy Buffett, Jackson Browne and Fleetwood Mac wrapped it up.

TimeBandit

Reaction score
I delivered equipment to the first US festival in 1982, I can't remember which band I was hauling for. All I remember is how far it was from LAX and nothing but dirt.

I dropped and ran. A co-worker picked up whatever I dropped off a few days later.

cofooter

Reaction score
I remember I was at Palm Springs for spring break that weekend. Wish I would have gone......

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
I was there for day 3....... David Bowie, U2, Berlin, and others.

One of the things I remember was that there were vendors walking around and instead of yelling out....... Hot Dogs, Peanuts, Beer........ They were yelling out....... Acid, Cocaine, Qualudes!

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
I was just a pinch too young....but loved all that music during that time. All them bands I grew up with. During the 10 years between the 80s and the 90s were the best for music imo. Went to Lollapalooza...wasn't too young for that..lol. Never went to an Ozzfest. I don't know why. That genre is more of what I like. Shit, I think would have rather have gone to an US Festival given the choice.

HBCraig

Reaction score
Got me started going to concerts

Went to several metal concerts but the best were Judas Priest, Ratt, Metallica, LA Guns,Bullet Boys etc

The Prisoner

Reaction score
What sounds like fun is joining 100,000 people at the EDM festival in Vegas to watch a guy press buttons on a computer! :p :p :pPuh-leez
Whats really crazy is those computer djs make a shit load of money and couldn’t play a real instrument!

The Prisoner

Reaction score
Just finished this new book. Was good on the start of 80’s rock on the Sunset Strip
61A21495-594A-4F23-A11C-3BA949B2B707.png

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
What sounds like fun is joining 100,000 people at the EDM festival in Vegas to watch a guy press buttons on a computer! :p :p :pPuh-leez
Whats really crazy is those computer djs make a shit load of money and couldn’t play a real instrument!

So true yet the $$$ they make is unreal...

thmterry

Reaction score
I was there for the Rock Day!!! Rode my KZ900 in with my girl friend on the back. I chained it to my buddies delta 88 bumper while at the concert. , Good times🥳 . It was a concert that people still remember 38 years later!!!!!!!
I thought all the bands were fantastic except one. The Scorpions put on the best concert that day with Van Halen stinking the place up. Dave was singing a different song then Eddie was playing. Dave was so drunk he could barely stand. After the concert me and my girlfriend slept in the trunk of the Oldsmobile, which may have been bigger then my apartment. Once in a lifetime event with 300,000 of your closest friend.

The Prisoner

Reaction score
I was there for the Rock Day!!! Rode my KZ900 in with my girl friend on the back. I chained it to my buddies delta 88 bumper while at the concert. , Good times🥳 . It was a concert that people still remember 38 years later!!!!!!!
I thought all the bands were fantastic except one. The Scorpions put on the best concert that day with Van Halen stinking the place up. Dave was singing a different song then Eddie was playing. Dave was so drunk he could barely stand. After the concert me and my girlfriend slept in the trunk of the Oldsmobile, which may have been bigger then my apartment. Once in a lifetime event with 300,000 of your closest friend.
My first car was a1978 Olds 98 luxury sedan......you could put 5 bodies in the trunk :p I had the the new Pioneer super tuner cassette deck in that baby too.....miss that car.....when I moved to AZ some drunk head oned into me in Golden Valley.......prick.:mad: Funny thing was it was December 30th...told the girlfriend at the time let’s to to the river tonight instead of New Year’s Eve and avoid the drunks. :p

WYRD

Reaction score
I was just a pinch too young....but loved all that music during that time. All them bands I grew up with. During the 10 years between the 80s and the 90s were the best for music imo. Went to Lollapalooza...wasn't too young for that..lol. Never went to an Ozzfest. I don't know why. That genre is more of what I like. Shit, I think would have rather have gone to an US Festival given the choice.
Ozzy.jpg
070806_16141.jpg

I was on stage with Ozzy the 06 Ozzfest

Even got to hang with Sharon

Sharon Osbourne.jpg

And black label 👍

070806_16511.jpg

WYRD

Reaction score
070806_16521.jpg

It was an outstanding day for sure