WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Used boat meltdown

Orange Juice

Reaction score
Well where is it lol?

Toy syndicate, boat trader, FB market place etc.

Very few Laveys, Halletts, Howards, DCB (vee hulls).

I was promised pennies on the dollar dammit.

14603F71-A1E5-4AE3-9729-1DE0A03A91BB.jpeg

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
Yup! Went to Glamis with some friends over the weekend and everyone is telling me to invest in a trailer and SXS +30K in parts. 🙄 And that's the low buck before fuel, insurance, passes, storage, possible fines... The list goes on and on...
My river habit /boating habit /drinking habit /jeep habit for my wife /dipping habit /my body is getting old and is falling apart habit is already way out of control and probably out of my league 😂

yuppie

Reaction score
Well where is it lol?

Yep, I'm thinking the same thing. Everyone told me the winter is the best time to be looking, but so far it's slim pickin's.

Also, this "recession" is looming right around the corner. Hurry up and wait!

BIGRED9158

Reaction score
I would say prices are not coming down either but I see a lot of newer models for sale that people purchased during covid

Heylam

Reaction score
Rising interest rates will definitely slow sales and cause price reductions, but I doubt it will cause a meltdown.

Your ad here

Reaction score
Fire sales happen when the seller is on the verge of loosing their place of residence, more so those with mortgages. Last go around people were qualified for loans (mortgages) they couldn't afford... when the time came, sell anything you can to keep your roof. I don't see people getting in financial trouble with their mortgage this time around... so no reason to fire sale anything. The market will cool but there won't be fire sales or a big inventory to choose from either. Since there won't be a surplus of boats there won't really be much for sale, on sale.

MOUZER

Reaction score
prices on used boats has doubled old flatties and 18 ft jets r hard to find and those prices have doubled...

Reactions: DWC

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Well where is it lol?

I’ve been seeing some older 28 Daytonas on the cheap.. 90+ mph twin engine boats for 60k? Granted they are older and some don’t have the nicest gel schemes but still that’s a lot of bost for the money.

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
The problem is the only boats made in the last 5 years have been decks, and high end cats for the most part. +pontoons

The deep vee market isn’t growing in supply so deals won’t be there
I agree. Try finding a 2010-2019 21'-25' deep vee performance boat. They don't seem to exist. Top dollar for pre-2005 stuff which requires a PPPloan, a HELOC or a low-interest refi.

Toons for days.

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
I agree. Try finding a 2010-2019 21'-25' deep vee performance boat. They don't seem to exist. Top dollar for pre-2005 stuff which requires a PPPloan, a HELOC or a low-interest refi.

Toons for days.
Is this because toons are just a a sheet of plywood with carpet, couches, Bimini and a motor bolted on? Easier to make? More profit?

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
Is this because toons are just a a sheet of plywood with carpet, couches, Bimini and a motor bolted on? Easier to make? More profit?
There had to be demand. I chalk it up to the cool kids all shifting to Toons post-2010. A floating couch with a BBQ and 6 coolers works well for most, I guess?

hallett21

Reaction score
The problem is the only boats made in the last 5 years have been decks, and high end cats for the most part. +pontoons

The deep vee market isn’t growing in supply so deals won’t be there
Good point

I’ve been seeing some older 28 Daytonas on the cheap.. 90+ mph twin engine boats for 60k? Granted they are older and some don’t have the nicest gel schemes but still that’s a lot of bost for the money.

I’m too picky I know. The only boat I’ve seen that would fit our program is that latest 29 Lavey with a 600. But that’s a little out of my budget lol. I think it’s worth every cent but you either have 40-50k meh boats or 150k+

BIGRED9158

Reaction score
This boat has been for sale for a while at 49k it seems like a lot of boat for the price maybe something is wrong with it that I don’t see but seems cheap to go 90mph

JFMFG

Reaction score
This boat has been for sale for a while at 49k it seems like a lot of boat for the price maybe something is wrong with it that I don’t see but seems cheap to go 90mph

Love me a HTM that’s kinda right in-line for price for them imho. Downside is some people are scared of the HTM so that’s prob why it’s still there.

BIGRED9158

Reaction score
Love me a HTM that’s kinda right in-line for price for them imho. Downside is some people are scared of the HTM so that’s prob why it’s still there.
I am in love with it too but with never owning any type of cat It’s also scaring me away I don’t know why but I am really digging the gel scheme on it

NicPaus

Reaction score

Toons for days.
They didn't make that many in those years. I did see my river neighbor old 2014 I think tremor listed for 70k. He paid 130k or so new with 565. Other than that 1 not much.

New prices are keeping used high. My Cobra 165K to replace. Makes 80k seem fair. It was 55k plus tax 7 years ago.

Friend has a nice 25' Bullet. To replace it probably 185-200K.

There is that brand new old 25 Daytona at Eliminator. I asked how much for new to compare. No longer available but the 25 speedster He replied 200k plus.

Deckin Around

Reaction score
On FB marketplace, it shows you the price reductions that have been made on the add. I see a lot of toys that were lowered at least 15% at a time which means the phone wasn't ringing at the initial pricing as people were still trying for prime covid $. I follow all kids dirtbikes and offroad toys & trailers and those markets are lower priced with more inventory over the last 3-4 months even heading into christmas which isnt the norm.

Last edited:

hallett21

Reaction score

I’m not trying to talk trash on the boat because I’ve always liked HTMs

But….. lol

They’re good for going fast, I’ve never seen someone waterski behind one.

Boat looks dirty, which isn’t a big deal but hurts the photos.

Carb’d motor built by somebody is a slight red flag. Personally I’m not a motor guy so as a buyer I need it to say Merc, Teague, Boost, etc.

I don’t hate the Gel but it’s dated.

HTMs are known to be quirky at the higher speeds.

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score

That's a decent deal. There was a blue one with flames a few months ago that sold for a great price. Some believe HTM's are dangerous, but they are just a good drivers boat.

hallett21

Reaction score
That's a decent deal. There was a blue one with flames a few months ago that sold for a great price. Some believe HTM's are dangerous, but they are just a good drivers boat.
Ever been for a ride? I had a good experience and a scary one. Granted I was 10-14 but I know when a boat gets sideways.

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
Ever been for a ride? I had a good experience and a scary one. Granted I was 10-14 but I know when a boat gets sideways.

Yup, but I am used to fast flatbottoms and tunnel outboards that are on the verge of flipping....that's the fun part.

counterpart7

Reaction score
I haven't seen as much of a drop in the boat prices, but other stuff has dropped pretty quick. Haven't seen cars/trailers parked along roadways with FOR SALE signs for a couple of years, I saw 2-3 trailers and a boat with signs on them over the weekend. Only reason I would park my boat somewhere away from my house with a sign on it is if I wasn't getting anywhere online!

hallett21

Reaction score
You are if you don’t like your wife 😂
Lol. I know what our boat can do. I also know that who works on it and sets it up can make it much faster lol. But I want something that’s fast and predictable and safe.

WOT marine already has a game plan to make the boat rip 😉

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
My point being is that it’s a single man’s boat.
I tend to overthink things.

Did performance boat manufacturers learn that selling smaller runs of more expensive cats produces better margins than selling a higher volume of V-hull family boats?

What role did the twin-powered toon play in this? High-performance family boaters seem to have been segregated into higher-powered toons and ballers, and single guys into performance cats. Some ballers have both, I guess?

Did the high-dollar wakeboard boat fill in the remaining demand for new boats?

The used V-hull performance market seems to have been shored up by available cash and a lack of inventory. Now that we don't have as much cash floating around the used boat market, what happens to all the 1994-2008 performance boats? Prices stay high with limited available quality inventory, or does demand dip due to a lack of finance options? Can someone start retrofitting these boats with new power and interior/gel and finance them to build a niche market?

golakers

Reaction score
For one. It’s December. Non boating season. The truth will come in April…

hallett21

Reaction score
I tend to overthink things.

Did performance boat manufacturers learn that selling smaller runs of more expensive cats produces better margins than selling a higher volume of V-hull family boats?

What role did the twin-powered toon play in this? High-performance family boaters seem to have been segregated into higher-powered toons and ballers, and single guys into performance cats. Some ballers have both, I guess?

Did the high-dollar wakeboard boat fill in the remaining demand for new boats?

The used V-hull performance market seems to have been shored up by available cash and a lack of inventory. Now that we don't have as much cash floating around the used boat market, what happens to all the 1994-2008 performance boats? Prices stay high with limited available quality inventory, or does demand dip due to a lack of finance options? Can someone start retrofitting these boats with new power and interior/gel and finance them to build a niche market?
Howard and DCB figured it out before anyone else IMO. Eliminator figured it out pre Covid.

But as @LargeOrangeFont says comparing today’s boats against 2001 boats is futile. Different motors, drives, gauges/screens. Everything has gone up.

If you want a 2005 boat the builders will build it but it’s 2022 hull, 2022 motor and rigging. Maybe you save a few bucks on the accessories.

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
My point being is that it’s a single man’s boat. I’m not taking my wife daughter and everyone else in something that can get squirrelly.

Most wives don't want to go over 70mph anyways. I almost bought that Blue one with the flames and wouldn't have worried a bit. Personally, I think they are great boats...good freeboard, they always have good power, decent in rough water, fun for a speed run. The fact that some people that don't know keep the prices down is even better.

hallett21

Reaction score
For one. It’s December. Non boating season. The truth will come in April…
But that’s when people buy boats…. Meaning demand should be higher then.

My whole point to this thread was that quality boats aren’t going anywhere. There may be deals here and there but overall prices are here to stay.

I remember seeing an outboard vector for sale in 2007 for 26k. And I remember telling my dad it was time to sell 😉