WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

USPS

Topless

Reaction score
Has anyone ever filed a claim with USPS (not UPS) United States Postal Service for something that arrived damaged? My brother sent me a laptop for my daughter and the box looks like it was dropped. The screen won't come on at all and I need to file a claim. I was wondering how much of a hassle this is going to be.

Skyskier

skiing Parker since 1960
Reaction score
Has anyone ever filed a claim with USPS (not UPS) United States Postal Service for something that arrived damaged? My brother sent me a laptop for my daughter and the box looks like it was dropped. The screen won't come on at all and I need to file a claim. I was wondering how much of a hassle this is going to be.
Did he insure it with USPS ? If so was it insured for purchase price or replacement price ? If he got it on a "killer price" DO NOT give up the receipt for the purchase price, get a quote from the store for what it will cost you to buy another one today.

snake321

Irish Republican
Reaction score

I just got a message and pics today from a guy that bought a jet pump shaft from me on ebay and the box arrived empty. I taped the shit out of it so I know they treated it like shit. I ship with delivery confirmation only unless it's breakable. I read a bunch of stuff online at the usps site today and it seems like I'm out of luck and might be liable to pay this guy's money back. Monday I'll be an expert on the subject after I go down there and find out what's up.

ShockwaveBobSquarePants

Reaction score
I just got a message and pics today from a guy that bought a jet pump shaft from me on ebay and the box arrived empty. I taped the shit out of it so I know they treated it like shit. I ship with delivery confirmation only unless it's breakable. I read a bunch of stuff online at the usps site today and it seems like I'm out of luck and might be liable to pay this guy's money back. Monday I'll be an expert on the subject after I go down there and find out what's up.

There's no might about it. You're responsible for the item to be delivered to your customer in the condition it was advertised. Insurance protects YOU, that's why you pay for it and why you receive it if you file a claim. If you don't insure it, that's up to you, but it's on you. Sellers that claim if you don't purchase insurance they won't be responsible is BS and contrary to the law.

snake321

Irish Republican
Reaction score
There's no might about it. You're responsible for the item to be delivered to your customer in the condition it was advertised. Insurance protects YOU, that's why you pay for it and why you receive it if you file a claim. If you don't insure it, that's up to you, but it's on you. Sellers that claim if you don't purchase insurance they won't be responsible is BS and contrary to the law.

Geeeeze Bob, you coulda returned it to me.....

snake321

Irish Republican
Reaction score
Hahaha, I'm just foolin with you. I just got done reading that I might be covered under the Paypal seller protection policy.

Topless

Reaction score
It was insured and I didn't want to hassle with it. They told me to bring the box, packing material, and all the contents to the post office. They will determine it it was their fault and if insurance will pay for it. It is apparent that it was dropped.

Roaddogg 4040

Reaction score
Knowing the Post Office, you will probably be in for a hassle... Just be prepaired for it and be tenacious. You should be fine...

Steve

Nord

HONKY
Reaction score
I would take it back, put your "Topless" character away and be nice......and see what happends:D

snake321

Irish Republican
Reaction score
The Post Office consistently does the most damage and ships the slowest but it's right down the road so it's easy. I have started using DHL, they're prices seem cheaper and they pick up at the house.. I shipped gas tanks a couple of weeks ago,scheduled a pickup online and they were here in less than an hour. I think they don't have that much work..

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score

Seems pretty easy to prove that something was lost. They weighed the box when you shipped it and then it showed up empty. Empty box is gonna weigh less than one with a pump shaft in it. I would imagine with no insurance their liability is limited though.

snake321

Irish Republican
Reaction score
They have to be liable somehow for complete loss. They took my money and flat out abused the package and delivered a ripped empty box. Not only am I gonna be out the refund money, I'm gonna be out a shaft...

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
They have to be liable somehow for complete loss. They took my money and flat out abused the package and delivered a ripped empty box. Not only am I gonna be out the refund money, I'm gonna be out a shaft...

No, I'm pretty sure you ended up with the shaft:smackhead

snake321

Irish Republican
Reaction score
I know. They should post a sign that states "Not responsible for loss without ins."

ShockwaveBobSquarePants

Reaction score
Seems pretty easy to prove that something was lost. They weighed the box when you shipped it and then it showed up empty. Empty box is gonna weigh less than one with a pump shaft in it. I would imagine with no insurance their liability is limited though.
Unless you didn't open the box, guess who wins that argument with an opened, empty box.

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
UPS and FedEx have the same policy. Open the box and claim it's empty, good luck getting them to do anything about it.

Yeah, I kinda missed the open box part.:smackhead Don't you usually have to sign for packages with usps? I had a box show up fedex that was re-taped from it's original packing and I made the driver stick around while I opened it.

ShockwaveBobSquarePants

Reaction score
Yeah, I kinda missed the open box part.:smackhead Don't you usually have to sign for packages with usps? I had a box show up fedex that was re-taped from it's original packing and I made the driver stick around while I opened it.

It's up to the driver, unless the package is sent "Signature Required", which they usually aren't. If the driver has had some loss on his route, he'll usually make you sign.

Topless

Reaction score
It's up to the driver, unless the package is sent "Signature Required", which they usually aren't. If the driver has had some loss on his route, he'll usually make you sign.
When he brought my package, he did the ding dong ditch number.

ShockwaveBobSquarePants

Reaction score
When he brought my package, he did the ding dong ditch number.

Well, it's not broken because you didn't sign for it, so I'm not sure what that has to do with anything. Unless it's sent Delivery Confirmation Required, the post office will not get a signature.

slotracer

Reaction score
i would never ship anything usps. my brother sent me some camera's by usps and all they did was stick it by my front door:eek:. nobody was home all day and the drivers know that people take packages from in front of houses. i always use ups and get the insurance. its nice to be able to track your parts that you ship and buy, plus its nice to get a signature.

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
I was just kidding about USPS sucking. I've never had any problem with it.

Up here, CPS is the shit. :)

ShockwaveBobSquarePants

Reaction score
i would never ship anything usps. my brother sent me some camera's by usps and all they did was stick it by my front door:eek:. nobody was home all day and the drivers know that people take packages from in front of houses. i always use ups and get the insurance. its nice to be able to track your parts that you ship and buy, plus its nice to get a signature.

I receive about 25-40 packages per week, from various sources. USPS requires a signature a far higher percentage than either UPS or FedEx. I probably sign for half my PO packages, maybe I sign for one UPS or FedEx package a week. Maybe.

It's pretty easy, just tell the sender to send it "Signature Required."

slotracer

Reaction score
it may just be that i have alot of parts shipped to my office and the ups guy always get the front desk to sign for anything he drops off. or it just might be that he likes to check out the girl at our front desk also:drool

snake321

Irish Republican
Reaction score
I signed something a long time ago to avoid having to be home for signatures from ups and fed ex.

snake321

Irish Republican
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with Paypal. I got the shaft. Now I'm off to the Post Office to get some more.....

ShockwaveBobSquarePants

Reaction score
it may just be that i have alot of parts shipped to my office and the ups guy always get the front desk to sign for anything he drops off. or it just might be that he likes to check out the girl at our front desk also:drool

At the shop I do a lot of work at, they sign for everything too. I think they treat business accounts differently because of accountability.

snake321

Irish Republican
Reaction score
Dam Post Office is closed.
I suppose I could take apart another pump and send the shaft

snake321

Irish Republican
Reaction score
Filed a claim with the Postal Inspectors and have to wait 48 hours for a response.

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score

That is because the UPS drivers have to get a signature at business addresses. If they don't then they are circumventing it somehow by signing themselves or sheeting it as residential and will eventually get caught. The board makes them get the signature before they can do anything else. Residential they can driver release it at houses in a safe area out of sight and out of weather. This does not happen in bad areas or in transient buildings. If the shipper marks signature required and pays for it then the driver has to get the signature. It would cost way too much in time and money to have a driver get a signature at every house and most people aren't home so they wouldn't get their packages. We would attempt three times and send it back to the shipper. As far as USPS then if you are having to sign then it's probably also because they are paying for signature required. Even delivery confirmation doesn't require a signature. There are a couple of premium services that have some tracking and stuff like that included but things are mostly a la carte with the post office.