WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Utah about to lower DUI level to .05

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
It's pretty much zero tolerance there anyway.

underpressure

Reaction score
You know that CA is going to be pissed that Utah is ahead of them on this...

How does .03 sound?

TBI

Thumbless Wonder
Reaction score
It's pretty much zero tolerance there anyway.

Do they even sell alcohol in Utah?
:tbi

drunk-guy.jpg

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
[video=youtube;wHHjsUlRh2w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHHjsUlRh2w[/video]

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I'm totally against drunk driving but .05??? .05 means one drink for a lot of people will put them either at or over the limit. If that's the case why not make it .01? Why let people think they can have one drink and drive? Say the bartender pours just a little too much vodka in that one drink and you get behind the wheel. No way would you be .08 but .05 maybe. Will they start handing out "wet and reckless'" for .03? Why don't they just come out and say drinking at all and driving is against the law?

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I'm totally against drunk driving but .05??? .05 means one drink for a lot of people will put them either at or over the limit. If that's the case why not make it .01? Why let people think they can have one drink and drive? Say the bartender pours just a little too much vodka in that one drink and you get behind the wheel. No way would you be .08 but .05 maybe. Will they start handing out "wet and reckless'" for .03? Why don't they just come out and say drinking at all and driving is against the law?

Because this is not about safety GRADS, this is about revenue. If the limit was .01 no one would drive anywhere and drink, and the DUI revenue stream would dry up, bars and restruants would see a decline in sales.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score

Groups like MADD have a lot of political clout, and zero tolerance is their stated goal.

I know we were founded by Puritans, but jeeezus we as a nation really like to bury our heads in the sand when it comes to moderate vices.

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
If you would quit screwing around on RDP and get those autonomous cars finished we could drink and screw on the way home from dinner. :D

It's coming really soon. Uber driverless Volvo's are everywhere here where i live. Taking over parts of the city it seems. And add in the test vehicles from Carnegie Mellon down in the strip district, where if these things can navigate there then they would be good to go anywhere :D

IMG_1618.jpg

spectras only

Reaction score
Copy cats:). I'm 100% sure California will follow.;) We had this zero tolerance and 0.5 law for years here in British Columbia.
What they don't tell you, if you wreck your car while under the influence even with no one else involved on the road, you'll loose your DL for six months. Adding salt to injury, you'll have to hire a lawyer try to reduce any sentence the courts will decide to slap on you. MADD is more powerful now than Trump and Putin put together.:skull
BTW, I don't drink and drive, always a designated driver for my drunken friends.:drink

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
Utah beer sold in stores is 3.2 beer you have to go the state lq store to get real beer , also when you buy drinks in a bar ( not to many bars) you have to have some kind of food in front of you . There is talk of dumping the ZION curtain not to sure on it ?

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
they don't even need drivers, so UBER CARS are no big deal .

At ".03 level", kids taking cough medicine will be getting stopped on their bicycles .

Thanks TBI, I wondered where Tom Brown got his 'fetal alcohol syndrome problems' ..........

Reactions: TBI

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Copy cats:). I'm 100% sure California will follow.;) We had this zero tolerance and 0.5 law for years here in British Columbia.
What they don't tell you, if you wreck your car while under the influence even with no one else involved on the road, you'll loose your DL for six months. Adding salt to injury, you'll have to hire a lawyer try to reduce any sentence the courts will decide to slap on you. MADD is more powerful now than Trump and Putin put together.:skull
BTW, I don't drink and drive, always a designated driver for my drunken friends.:drink

Don't forget the presumption of guilt.
You're basically "at fault" regardless of the circumstances, because "you shouldn't have been on the road in the first place. "

Meanwhile, that train of thought doesn't work (in a legal sense) against drivers with no license and/or no insurance...

JD D05

Reaction score
I saw this over the weekend. Couldn't believe how many people were their. Saw at least a few hundred.
20170311_102558.jpg

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score
Why Not?????..................then we'd be just like most of Europe and considering your Political POV that should make you happy

8706172-125965649_2-s1-v1.png

2Driver

Reaction score
Be careful going to breakfast.

Some folks are still .05 the next morning.

Letsride22

Reaction score
This is about money period. Stats presented here in Utah during the debate clearly showed that lowering the legal BAC does nothing. The problem is the penalty for DUI is not harsh enough, to many power drinkers driving around with multiple convictions. Last summer a guy was arrested following an accident who had 9 priors and had never done any serious time. I'm 100% for keeping drunks off the road but this is not the answer. Now they're going after the guy at .05 who had a glass of wine with his steak.

bocco

Reaction score
This is about money period. Stats presented here in Utah during the debate clearly showed that lowering the legal BAC does nothing. The problem is the penalty for DUI is not harsh enough, to many power drinkers driving around with multiple convictions. I'm 100% for keeping drunks off the road but this is not the answer. Now they're going the guy at .05 who had a glass of wine with his steak.

What is the penalty in Utah? Is there only a fine? In California you also get multiple suspensions, Alcohol counseling breath tester in your car in the larger counties. Plus lawyer fees.

River Lynchmob

What can I do to u for u?
Reaction score
I didn't read all the posts so maybe this was covered. My brother says this was a concession so alcohol could be served starting at 10:30 am, OK but now the DUI level is .05

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
Because this is not about safety GRADS, this is about revenue. If the limit was .01 no one would drive anywhere and drink, and the DUI revenue stream would dry up, bars and restruants would see a decline in sales.
Uber drivers would be racking up some bucks.....

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Why even bother with .05? At that point why not just make it .00?

RD

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Why even bother with .05? At that point why not just make it .00?

RD
Right? Considering they can currently take someone in at whatever percent if they simply believe you are under the influence.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I predict a 50% increase in utahs court revenue...minimum...
I predict CA follows suit and sees 100% increase in dui generated revenue.
I predict every tow yard becomes overnight millionaires and alcohol counciling is a booming cottage industry with years of backlogged, court ordered participants.