WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Utah avalanche fatality

cofooter

Reaction score
Damn, RIP! Dangerous no matter how good it looks!

One2go

Reaction score
That's terrible,sorry to hear.RIP

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
Unless they were not local, and unaware of the weather for the last couple storm cycles, which I doubt is the case being they knew right where to go, they should have known there was danger and either stayed away, or done a quick dig before going, which would have exposed the danger. Probably no beacon or bag on either.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Sad deal, but is it just me that it doesn’t seem right that the forest service gal is smiling the whole time. It may just be her normal facial expression but if so she probably wasnt the best choice to do the video.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
That has all the signs of sliding. No gear no awareness.
Do you wear some sort of air bag when you go sledding? Always wondered if there was some safety equipment to help with these situations

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Do you wear some sort of air bag when you go sledding? Always wondered if there was some safety equipment to help with these situations

Back country skiers and boarders that are aware of the risks wear beacons and know what to look for before they head in.

Most resorts will avalanche proof the surrounding terrain because they know it's used.

Up to the individual to have the knowledge and experience to risk their lives going out of bounds. Sad for the persons in the video.

Popular spots and even only locally known places it's always a good idea to tell ski patrol you are heading out there.

They are the ones who will save your life.

traquer

Reaction score
Sad situation. I'm sure the danger was well posted. Perhaps they didn't know any better. It's easy hiking up a ridge when you're stoked or wanting to show off. I've ridden some stuff that was extremely stupid but I had no idea I was even in danger at the time. RIP

Boat 405

Reaction score
I highly recommend the Silverton avalanche school. https://avyschool.com I took the class and it was very worth it. For skiers, snowboarders, and snowmobilers.

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
Sad deal, but is it just me that it doesn’t seem right that the forest service gal is smiling the whole time. It may just be her normal facial expression but if so she probably wasnt the best choice to do the video.
That's what I kept thinking, creepy.

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
She has the look of an ex girlfriend that just found out her ex boyfriend and her replacement just got rolled in an avalanche.....

2Driver

Reaction score
Yeah, she was also staring directly into the sun on snow.

Just Ducky

Reaction score
Going "out of bounds" is a big no no at all ski areas. They will pull your lift ticket and kick you out and this is why. The resorts do everything they can to make sure the runs in their resort are safe. Used to ski mammoth a lot and in the mornings you could hear them shooting mortars to get sketchy areas to break loose and slide to make it safer.Alot of that video showed exactly where they were as evidence to cover their asses from getting sued for negligence.Sad that it happened but people do stupid shit and sometimes it bites them in the ass.

DaveH

Reaction score
Going "out of bounds" is a big no no at all ski areas. They will pull your lift ticket and kick you out and this is why. The resorts do everything they can to make sure the runs in their resort are safe. Used to ski mammoth a lot and in the mornings you could hear them shooting mortars to get sketchy areas to break loose and slide to make it safer.Alot of that video showed exactly where they were as evidence to cover their asses from getting sued for negligence.Sad that it happened but people do stupid shit and sometimes it bites them in the ass.
this is inacurate.

MANY ski areas offer access to back country skiing through the resort controlled slopes. they showed where the skier went through a legal gate to access the back country.
this is VERY common. the resorts clearly mark the gates (and close them under certain conditions) and there are signs posted warning of no patrol, and you are on your own. the allure of fresh powder (yes i get it) draws many skiers to the back country. would rather die in an avalanche, taking risks for something most will never experience, then take my chances driving LA freeways. how many people are killed in the ocean from shark attacks......yet we still go in the water. no one else is threatened if you wad up in an avalanche....so remind we why we care if someone pays the ultimate price looking for the ultimate ride?

JDKRXW

Reaction score
.Alot of that video showed exactly where they were as evidence to cover their asses from getting sued for negligence.

This.
And I don't blame them one bit for doing it. The heli video also clearly showed exactly what the obvious dangers of that area were.....before the guy explained it in the fracture.

I feel bad for the female that survived.

Havasu Hangin'

Lord of the Drinks
Reaction score
That backcountry skiing always seemed like alot of hiking and not much skiing. I get winded just thinking about it.

Sad news on the fatality. Avalanche control is your friend, especially in the little cottonwood area.

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
this is inacurate.

MANY ski areas offer access to back country skiing through the resort controlled slopes. they showed where the skier went through a legal gate to access the back country.
this is VERY common. the resorts clearly mark the gates (and close them under certain conditions) and there are signs posted warning of no patrol, and you are on your own. the allure of fresh powder (yes i get it) draws many skiers to the back country. would rather die in an avalanche, taking risks for something most will never experience, then take my chances driving LA freeways. how many people are killed in the ocean from shark attacks......yet we still go in the water. no one else is threatened if you wad up in an avalanche....so remind we why we care if someone pays the ultimate price looking for the ultimate ride?
Aren't the rescuers at risk when they have to go recover their dumb asses?

kurtis500

Reaction score
I can see this bowl and the avalanche mark out my front window. Sits between Peak 5 and 9990. I usually hike Peak 5 then head that direction but not to Dutch Draw. Honestly I dont rush any avy stuff. I'll follow tracks down in the backcountry if its even close to sketchy. The snowpack is the worst this year and no doubt the avalanche occured on the snow laid down in early november

someone died there last year too

Some people seem to think Park City is flat compared to LCC and BCC. Down low it is, but there are bowls spread all across the resort that are only backcountry access. And with the winds coming over the top the snow piles up big time on the east faces.

Reactions: SJP

JD D05

Reaction score

I know a bunch of the rescue folks here in UT. They are always very careful before going into these areas for recovery and or rescue. In some instances they can't go in for awhile.

JD D05

Reaction score
This one is crazy. Video never shows how steep something is but still. However if you have people with you and the right gear this one should be survivable.

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
I have ridden in the area where the avalanche took place. Beautiful country back there and accessible off of 9990 lift. I where a beacon, carry sticks and shovel. Without others with beacons to locate it really does not do you much good if things get really sideways. In Whistler they lost their first heli guide a year ago. We were the first group after outfits were clear to resume. Accidents are unfortunate but part of the deal with anything like this (perf boating, racing etc)

9990 BCgate.jpeg
PC_Jupiter.jpeg

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
This one is crazy. Video never shows how steep something is but still. However if you have people with you and the right gear this one should be survivable.

Appears as though the crack is already there to start the video, very surprised that the guy dropped in with that.

kurtis500

Reaction score
another one with some good lessons.. WITH airbag and transceiver

DaveH

Reaction score
yes and its my understanding you will likely receive a hefty invoice for search and rescue services. guess that doesn't matter if you are dead.

JD D05

Reaction score
yes and its my understanding you will likely receive a hefty invoice for search and rescue services. guess that doesn't matter if you are dead.

I would highly recommend anyone into sports that may require search and rescue invest in a garmin mini. When you initially set it up you can purchase search and rescue insurance. They link to your phone and people at home can track you.

Danger Dave

Sarcastically Optimistic 😁
Reaction score
Here's another recent one on the Wyoming/Montana border area north of Yellowstone.

575cat

Reaction score
Cooke City is a small and treacherous place very rocky and aggressive riding , it has a history of death .

Danger Dave

Sarcastically Optimistic 😁
Reaction score
Another Utah incident this past weekend. Same general area as the first.

This is them triggering slides the next day so they could do the recovery.

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
Huge snow here in the west the last few and next few days. We’re on high alert!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nowski

Reaction score
That backcountry skiing always seemed like alot of hiking and not much skiing. I get winded just thinking about it.

Sad news on the fatality. Avalanche control is your friend, especially in the little cottonwood area.
Many don't know this but you can ski up to 6 resorts (Deer Valley, Park City, Brighton, Solitude, Alta, and Snowbird) in a single day. Hows that even possible, it's called back country skiing. An old buddy I grew up with was a powder guide in Utah and on a nice day he could lead you on an epic journey...

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Our grandsons in Spring Creek NV, south of Elko, lost a good friend to an avalanche last Saturday up in the Ruby Mountains. There were 3 boys, each about 18 and classmates of our grandsons. The amazing Ruby Mointains are their backyard. They've spent their lives camping, hiking, fishing, hunting, snow boarding and on snow mobiles in this area. These 3 boys knew the area well. They were in the area intended for motorized snow toys. 2 of them were on snowmobiles and one was on a snow bike. The boy on the slower snow bike couldn't out run it and perished in the avalanche. One of the boys, a very accomplished motocross and snowmobile rider, on a high speed snowmobile was able to run in front of the avalanche. This poor kid looked back and watched the avalanche overtake his friends. After frantically trying to dig out his friends, was able to go to the 360 Lodge for help. They returned with probes and located one friend, he was severely injured. But they were able to dig him out and he was put on a Life Flight to SLC. When they found the boy who was on the snow bike he had been buried by the avalanche for over 30 mins and had already died. The conditions grew much worse. They weren't able to recover his body until the next morning. Just an unbelievable tragedy. Spring Creek is a small town of only about 10,000 people, good hard working people. This has hit that town very hard. Memorial Services are being held this weekend for the boy who was killed. When he was younger, we watched this boy play Pop Warner football. Believe the rescued severely injured boy, after at least 3 surgeries, may still be in the hospital in SLC. The third boy who was not physically injured and was able to get help, we've known since he was about 10. Just a great kid, they all were. I can't even imagine the emotional scars he will carry.