WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Utah CCW

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
Okay I have a couple people asking about this and thought we could knock it out in a group setting. For a Utah CCW you have to go to a trainer certified by the Utah Bureau of Criminal Identification. I am such a guy. Classes around So Cal are around 100-150 bucks. For RDP I will do it for $50 for those that can prove to me somehow (we can discuss via PM if you don't have any training certs or ccw already etc.) that you already know how to shoot safely defensively in public. I know I know I'm a big 2A guy but this is my name going on this so I won't pencil whip it. Doing it this way we can sit down for a couple of hours and I can give you exactly what is required by the State of Utah and stamp and sign your applications. We can figure out a place to do it if there is interest.

For those of you who want one but need some basic shooting instruction then we can figure out something else. I still have to give the basics but we'd need to hit the range and add in some basic defensive training. Just would have to know how many people to figure out cost, curriculum and range scheduling. Cost would be more but still very affordable for an RDP hookup.

Let me know.

Oh. I'll also help you get your AZ and FL CCW's. Just don't need a specific state certified stamp for that. No extra charges.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Yes I'm interested. I don't know what you need so far as proof that I can operate a gun safely in a puplic venue but if you feel that you need to have a corse certificate or something of that nature then I'm not opposed to doing that.
Just keep me in the loop with whatever you come up with.

Caydens Cat

all I got was a t-shirt
Reaction score
That's a good idea. I could be interested as well.

<=== Post #666 just so happens to be about guns :hotdevil

rivergames

Reaction score
I have the paperwork for my Virginia CCW. Already took the test. Just need to go down to the sheriff office and get finger prints done and a notary sig.

Says its good in 28 states?

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
Yes I'm interested. I don't know what you need so far as proof that I can operate a gun safely in a puplic venue but if you feel that you need to have a corse certificate or something of that nature then I'm not opposed to doing that.
Just keep me in the loop with whatever you come up with.

It's simple. If you already have a course completion certificate from somewhere, or a California CCW then you are good to go. If you shoot IDPA USPSA or anything like that you are good to go as I know you'd be kicked off the range if not safe. Those are the easy ones. If not then PM me what your experience and we can discuss.

I've been on the range enough to see that some people get scared because of things like last Wednesday, go out buy a gun and then sign up for a CCW. They show up to a class and it's just scary. I'll leave it at that. I really just don't want to put my name behind that. Not everyone needs to be Jack Bauer. Basic understanding of safety and don't miss a man sized target at 7 yards with little to no stress and I'm okay with that. I'll of course encourage more training but that wouldn't be a danger to the public.

If you've never shot a gun we need to go to the range first.

The minimum requirements for Utah is mainly law stuff. The basic required for the actual gun is to tell you about the parts and the basic safety rules. The rest is about where you can carry etc. in Utah. Law stuff.

That's all. It's not responsible of me to send someone out who doesn't know which direction the gun points towards the bad guy.

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
I have the paperwork for my Virginia CCW. Already took the test. Just need to go down to the sheriff office and get finger prints done and a notary sig.

Says its good in 28 states?

Yes. Didn't you have to apply in person in VA though? Quite a few shall issue to non resident states but only a few you can do by mail. Here is a website with an interactive map to show where your permit is good. But keep in mind states change their laws often. Sometimes it's about shutting it all down like CA, sometimes it's about opening it up to anyone and everyone like AZ, UT, or FL. Sometimes it's about requirements from other states matching the requirements of the ccw from the state you want to carry in and sometimes it's just politics. Like a bunch of states who know a Ca CCW has probably the most requirements in all 50 states but since Sacramento won't recognize any other states permits then that state punishes us citizens of Ca by not recognizing our permit. So by getting other states you can be covered in 30-40 plus states and still be covered when a state drops recognizing one permit but recognizes another.

http://www.usacarry.com/

shintoooo

I'm Blessed
Reaction score
Can you carry in LA county with a Utah CCW?

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score

Correct me if I'm wrong... but CA does not allow anyone to carry unless they have a CCW from CA.

And you don't have to be a resident of AZ or UT to get CCWs in those states.

Terminal Velocity

Reaction score
California doesn't allow any CCW from another state. And only issues to residents. Per usacarry.com

ParkerRat

Livin the Dream
Reaction score
whats the advantage to a Utah CCW over Arizona? Is it accepted in more states? Just curious as I got my Arizona a couple years ago thru the mail but if Utah has a big advantage i may be interested. Thanks

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score

No. California only recognizes California. No per penal code if you have a resident permit from one county you are good in the whole state. You just need to move a little bit east. Housings cheaper anyway and it's closer to the river.

Terminal Velocity

Reaction score
whats the advantage to a Utah CCW over Arizona? Is it accepted in more states? Just curious as I got my Arizona a couple years ago thru the mail but if Utah has a big advantage i may be interested. Thanks

Is it Resident or Non-Resident? biggest i see is Nevada recognizes AZ but not UT CCW. Wash. Recognizes Ut but not AZ, NM recognizes AZ but not UT. as for total places it's pretty even on who does and doesn't.

Check here...

http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
You must be a Utah resident correct?

No. Utah is shall issue to residents and non residents.

Go to USACarry for an update on the states that you are covered in if you get a Utah permit. And for that matter Arizona, and Florida.

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong... but CA does not allow anyone to carry unless they have a CCW from CA.

And you don't have to be a resident of AZ or UT to get CCWs in those states.

No correction needed.

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score

Go to usacarry.com to see what states are covered with what ccw's. The other advantage is that states constantly change which states ccw's they accept. So you may be good one day with an AZ CCW in let's say New Mexico but not the next. Depends on how much you travel and where. Only a question you can answer.

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
Is it Resident or Non-Resident? biggest i see is Nevada recognizes AZ but not UT CCW. Wash. Recognizes Ut but not AZ, NM recognizes AZ but not UT. as for total places it's pretty even on who does and doesn't.

Check here...

Case in point. Just six months ago Nevada didn't recognize Arizona either. They changed some things and now they do based on the new requirements. Maybe it'll open up to Utah someday. That's the reason for multiple.

Terminal Velocity

Reaction score
VooDoo, what would be an approximate cost for some type of defensive/shooting class put on by you for the RDP conglomerate? Either in Cali or AZ? Something like a front sight to learn some basic stuff with maybe live fire? Just thinking it would be good for people to get some basic knowledge. It may be a logistics nightmare though.

YoPengo

Inmate #47
Reaction score
I would be interested. Limited hand gun experience so I would want the whole enchilada. :thumbsup:D

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
VooDoo, what would be an approximate cost for some type of defensive/shooting class put on by you for the RDP conglomerate? Either in Cali or AZ? Something like a front sight to learn some basic stuff with maybe live fire? Just thinking it would be good for people to get some basic knowledge. It may be a logistics nightmare though.

Really kind of depends on what the inmates want. If you want me to run through an NRA certified class then I could but that's two days which is two range fees and of course the NRA text. Nice thing though is you'd have an NRA course completion certificate. I'm talking about the Personal Protection Outside the Home course if that's what you wanted to do.

I could also just put something together for a few hours or even an all day at the range. I can print up some certificates but not being an NRA sanctioned class or with a nationally recognized place like Front Sight, Gunsite etc. or a name like Chris Costa then it doesn't always help when trying to get into another school or with getting approved for a CCW like Florida etc.

Just depends on what you are looking for. I'd make a great deal but it also depends on the amount of people.

I'm down for just a fun shoot in the desert and roam around and answer questions for people and help anyone who may have some trigger slap issues like I used to have etc. and run some drills etc. In that case it's just good fun but I appreciate bullets (in a case-not fired towards me) or beer.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I'm interested in AZ permit. It would be wise to go to the range common sense only can take a guy so far lol!

Terminal Velocity

Reaction score
As VooDoo mentioned, here's what happens just from Jan 1, 2014 on how things change...

8/12/2015 ? West Virginia and Nevada now have reciprocity.
8/12/2015 ? North Dakota recognized Minnesota permits.
8/11/2015 ? Minnesota dropped Missouri, Texas, Wyoming and Utah. Minnesota added Delaware, Illinois, New Jersey, Rhode Island, South Carolina, and the enhanced permits from Idaho, North Dakota, and South Dakota. [source]
8/4/2015 ? ALL States checked and updated.
6/22/2015 ? Nevada updated their list of state?s they accept. Louisiana and Wyoming now accept Nevada. [source]
5/12/2015 ? Pennsylvania and Ohio now have reciprocity. [source]
5/12/2015 ? Ohio accepts all other resident and non-resident permits and licenses. [source]
3/25/2015 ? Georgia accepts Ohio permits. [source]
3/25/2015 ? Colorado accepts Ohio resident permits only. [source]
3/25/2015 ? Wisconsin accepts Ohio ISSUED OR RENEWED ON OR AFTER 3/22/2015. [source]
1/5/2015 ? New Mexico and Alaska have reciprocity. [source]
9/8/2014 ? Nevada and Louisiana no longer have reciprocity. [source]
8/4/2014 ? Montana honors Illinois Permits. [source]
7/31/2014 ? Nevada honors Illinois Permits. [source]
7/14/2014 ? Pennsylvania and Utah now have reciprocity. [source]
6/22/2014 ? Nebraska honors Illinois Permits. [source]
5/27/2014 ? Virginia and Washington now honor Kansas permits. [a href=?[url]http://www.ag.ks.gov/public-safety/concealedcarry/out-of-state-license-recognition?[/url] target=?_blank?>source]
5/23/2014 ? Wisconsin honors Nevada ISSUED OR RENEWED ON OR AFTER 07/01/2011. [source]
4/7/2014 ? Wisconsin honors Illinois. [source]
3/19/2014 ? Alaska honors Illinois. [source]
3/5/2014 ? New Mexico honors Wyoming. [source]
1/16/2014 ? Ohio accepts Arizona Non-Resident. [source]
1/12/2014 ? Delaware no longer honors Virginia. [source]

This usacarry site is a good one to have in your favorites to see what changes have been made in case you go on a trip.

As a side note, even though Nevada doesn't honor Utah the times i've been pulled over i present my license and Utah CCW and notify the officer if there is a weapon in the car, (only had one instance i did, rifle in 45-70 in case unloaded. Was let go with a warning (and this was in Searchlight). I've been let go more times with my CCW and being upfront when the officer first comes to my window. Don't let them find out after they go back to check your license. But that's just me.

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
Keep the comments coming guys. Based on the interest I have ideas to make it work such as leave Utah legal stuff until the end and have the guys that just need that show up.

But number of people for logistics is needed to schedule range time or just hit the desert and range officers if needed.

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
May have been a nice officer but in Nevada your car is treated as your home as far as that goes. Step out of the car and you better open carry or have a permit if it's concealed. That does NOT fly in California.
As VooDoo mentioned, here's what happens just from Jan 1, 2014 on how things change...

8/12/2015 ? West Virginia and Nevada now have reciprocity.
8/12/2015 ? North Dakota recognized Minnesota permits.
8/11/2015 ? Minnesota dropped Missouri, Texas, Wyoming and Utah. Minnesota added Delaware, Illinois, New Jersey, Rhode Island, South Carolina, and the enhanced permits from Idaho, North Dakota, and South Dakota. [source]
8/4/2015 ? ALL States checked and updated.
6/22/2015 ? Nevada updated their list of state?s they accept. Louisiana and Wyoming now accept Nevada. [source]
5/12/2015 ? Pennsylvania and Ohio now have reciprocity. [source]
5/12/2015 ? Ohio accepts all other resident and non-resident permits and licenses. [source]
3/25/2015 ? Georgia accepts Ohio permits. [source]
3/25/2015 ? Colorado accepts Ohio resident permits only. [source]
3/25/2015 ? Wisconsin accepts Ohio ISSUED OR RENEWED ON OR AFTER 3/22/2015. [source]
1/5/2015 ? New Mexico and Alaska have reciprocity. [source]
9/8/2014 ? Nevada and Louisiana no longer have reciprocity. [source]
8/4/2014 ? Montana honors Illinois Permits. [source]
7/31/2014 ? Nevada honors Illinois Permits. [source]
7/14/2014 ? Pennsylvania and Utah now have reciprocity. [source]
6/22/2014 ? Nebraska honors Illinois Permits. [source]
5/27/2014 ? Virginia and Washington now honor Kansas permits. [a href=?[url]http://www.ag.ks.gov/public-safety/concealedcarry/out-of-state-license-recognition?[/url] target=?_blank?>source]
5/23/2014 ? Wisconsin honors Nevada ISSUED OR RENEWED ON OR AFTER 07/01/2011. [source]
4/7/2014 ? Wisconsin honors Illinois. [source]
3/19/2014 ? Alaska honors Illinois. [source]
3/5/2014 ? New Mexico honors Wyoming. [source]
1/16/2014 ? Ohio accepts Arizona Non-Resident. [source]
1/12/2014 ? Delaware no longer honors Virginia. [source]

This usacarry site is a good one to have in your favorites to see what changes have been made in case you go on a trip.

As a side note, even though Nevada doesn't honor Utah the times i've been pulled over i present my license and Utah CCW and notify the officer if there is a weapon in the car, (only had one instance i did, rifle in 45-70 in case unloaded. Was let go with a warning (and this was in Searchlight). I've been let go more times with my CCW and being upfront when the officer first comes to my window. Don't let them find out after they go back to check your license. But that's just me.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
So no class is needed for AZ permit?

I'm applying for San Bernardino county here shortly, will it help me or hurt me or not matter if I aquire a Utah or Arizona permit first.

Terminal Velocity

Reaction score
Really kind of depends on what the inmates want. If you want me to run through an NRA certified class then I could but that's two days which is two range fees and of course the NRA text. Nice thing though is you'd have an NRA course completion certificate. I'm talking about the Personal Protection Outside the Home course if that's what you wanted to do.

I could also just put something together for a few hours or even an all day at the range. I can print up some certificates but not being an NRA sanctioned class or with a nationally recognized place like Front Sight, Gunsite etc. or a name like Chris Costa then it doesn't always help when trying to get into another school or with getting approved for a CCW like Florida etc.

Just depends on what you are looking for. I'd make a great deal but it also depends on the amount of people.

I'm down for just a fun shoot in the desert and roam around and answer questions for people and help anyone who may have some trigger slap issues like I used to have etc. and run some drills etc. In that case it's just good fun but I appreciate bullets (in a case-not fired towards me) or beer.

For me i'm not really concerned about certificates, but would like to get solid info on what to do more so in Outside the Home, i have a basic idea of get behind something, move backwards in a zig zag pattern if someone coming at me. a better proper draw from conceal etc.
Even a day in the desert with bullet points from the NRA Cert class would be cool.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I still want to apply in Cali but a little discouraged at this point.

Terminal Velocity

Reaction score
May have been a nice officer but in Nevada your car is treated as your home as far as that goes. Step out of the car and you better open carry or have a permit if it's concealed. That does NOT fly in California.

yes he was a nice officer, it was a rifle and i didn't have any thing else in the car. As for California id be afraid to fart in the presence of an officer. But i'd damn sure present my CCW and inform them of whatever i had or didn't have.

ParkerRat

Livin the Dream
Reaction score

Check here...

Thanks, I travel a lot between So Cal and Texas so it looks like AZ is my best bet for now. Might be interested in training though if you end up putting that together in SO Cal

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
So no class is needed for AZ permit?

I'm applying for San Bernardino county here shortly, will it help me or hurt me or not matter if I aquire a Utah or Arizona permit first.

It won't make a difference either way. Especially in San Bernardino as they only accept the class that they put on. And they have plenty of files that have copies of the ccw holders other states ccw's. You are at least 9 months from your SBSD permit.

No class needed for AZ per se. You need to document to them that you've had a class, have hunter education, have a DD214 or if you send them a copy of your permit from another state etc. When I first did mine I sent them my Ca permit.

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
I still want to apply in Cali but a little discouraged at this point.
Trust me. Cool your jets. Don't be discouraged. Have something to look forward to. This is the first day of the rest of your life. You have plenty of time. Continue what you are doing in your personal life and maybe clean up your posts here a little bit to reflect the new Vic. I can see it happening but if you applied now my money would be on a denial.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Trust me. Cool your jets. Don't be discouraged. Have something to look forward to. This is the first day of the rest of your life. You have plenty of time. Continue what you are doing in your personal life and maybe clean up your posts here a little bit to reflect the new Vic. I can see it happening but if you applied now my money would be on a denial.

Thanks... And thanks for everything you've done for me recently. You have no idea how much I appreciate it. [emoji106]&#127997;

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
yes he was a nice officer, it was a rifle and i didn't have any thing else in the car. As for California id be afraid to fart in the presence of an officer. But i'd damn sure present my CCW and inform them of whatever i had or didn't have.

LOL. If one of the guys in here pulled you over or one of my buddies you'd be late for wherever you were going. You'd spend the rest of the day chatting about guns and hunting on the side of the road.

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
Thanks, I travel a lot between So Cal and Texas so it looks like AZ is my best bet for now. Might be interested in training though if you end up putting that together in SO Cal

Definitely get AZ. But consider other states for the reasons listed above.

Heck get TX while you are there.

Terminal Velocity

Reaction score
As a side note, i will be going after my Nevada when i get back there in January should cover everything i will need except Cali and that will just have to be what it is when it is.

I am curious though, say your traveling and your passing through California and have your weapon with you. I'd think if you had unloaded weapon (no mag) in the center console and mag(s) in glove compartment and presented your CCW from where ever and was upfront and honest would you get in serious shit, get your stuff confiscated? I'm guessing depends on your attitude as to how nice the officer is going to be.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
It won't make a difference either way. Especially in San Bernardino as they only accept the class that they put on. And they have plenty of files that have copies of the ccw holders other states ccw's. You are at least 9 months from your SBSD permit.

No class needed for AZ per se. You need to document to them that you've had a class, have hunter education, have a DD214 or if you send them a copy of your permit from another state etc. When I first did mine I sent them my Ca permit.

Dang az sounds real easy.

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
As a side note, i will be going after my Nevada when i get back there in January should cover everything i will need except Cali and that will just have to be what it is when it is.

I am curious though, say your traveling and your passing through California and have your weapon with you. I'd think if you had unloaded weapon (no mag) in the center console and mag(s) in glove compartment and presented your CCW from where ever and was upfront and honest would you get in serious shit, get your stuff confiscated? I'm guessing depends on your attitude as to how nice the officer is going to be.

In California that would be illegal. Needs to be unloaded in a locked container and it cannot be the glove compartment or center console. Now most guys would probably let you slide but you never know when you'll get a Barney Fife.

Terminal Velocity

Reaction score
VooDoo, a question. When i took my class the instructor had mentioned that when you were going to go on a trip through different states that you were legal in that it may be a good idea to call them and let them know and they'd send (email) confirmation in case you got an officer that didn't know the legality of your license. Is this something you'd recommend or what paperwork would be good to have in the car to "prove" your legal?

Terminal Velocity

Reaction score
In California that would be illegal. Needs to be unloaded in a locked container and it cannot be the glove compartment or center console. Now most guys would probably let you slide but you never know when you'll get a Barney Fife.

What if console and/or glove compartment lock? may be semantics but good information to have. can ammo and gun be in same locked container just unloaded?

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
It's simple. If you already have a course completion certificate from somewhere, or a California CCW then you are good to go. If you shoot IDPA USPSA or anything like that you are good to go as I know you'd be kicked off the range if not safe. Those are the easy ones. If not then PM me what your experience and we can discuss.

I've been on the range enough to see that some people get scared because of things like last Wednesday, go out buy a gun and then sign up for a CCW. They show up to a class and it's just scary. I'll leave it at that. I really just don't want to put my name behind that. Not everyone needs to be Jack Bauer. Basic understanding of safety and don't miss a man sized target at 7 yards with little to no stress and I'm okay with that. I'll of course encourage more training but that wouldn't be a danger to the public.

If you've never shot a gun we need to go to the range first.

The minimum requirements for Utah is mainly law stuff. The basic required for the actual gun is to tell you about the parts and the basic safety rules. The rest is about where you can carry etc. in Utah. Law stuff.

That's all. It's not responsible of me to send someone out who doesn't know which direction the gun points towards the bad guy.

AZ CCW proof enough?

Never mind....I took the entire class, shooting, tests etc and got a CCW there so I assume it is good.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score

I used to have the pistol bag with a zipper in the front which I locked the empty magazine in.

MSum661

Reaction score

Yep....That is exactly right for Nevada.

Really have to educate ourselves with each of the States requirements if you plan to come in with your firearms.
Lack of knowledge will not be an excuse if you have an encounter with a LEO and on the wrong side of the law.

Education.

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
VooDoo, a question. When i took my class the instructor had mentioned that when you were going to go on a trip through different states that you were legal in that it may be a good idea to call them and let them know and they'd send (email) confirmation in case you got an officer that didn't know the legality of your license. Is this something you'd recommend or what paperwork would be good to have in the car to "prove" your legal?

People say that. I've had Sheriff's department tell me that as well. It's not a bad idea. However, I think a better idea or at least something to coincide with it is to go to the states attorney general website and find the corresponding information about what permits are recognized etc. Also print out any laws that may be referenced.

Why? Because that's the actual information and code. People are human. Somebody gives you erroneous information on accident because they forgot or didn't know something changed well guess what? You committed a crime. You may be okay with some officers but a Barney Fife could get quite squirrely and if Andy is out of town you are going to be sharing a cell with Otis for the night.

With that said, anytime I've let an officer know I'm packing heat things go well for me.

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
What if console and/or glove compartment lock? may be semantics but good information to have. can ammo and gun be in same locked container just unloaded?

Not by the letter of the law no. Not legal. Yes it is semantics but it's still not legal. Ammo and gun CAN be in the same locked container. Mag can actually be loaded. Mag cannot be inserted in gun and be for damn sure there isn't a round in the pipe.

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
AZ CCW proof enough?

Never mind....I took the entire class, shooting, tests etc and got a CCW there so I assume it is good.

Sure. But yeah if you already have a Utah CCW you are definitely good. You can see me when it's time for renewal.