WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

UTV Clutching

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Just rolled 2500 miles on my XX still on the original belt. 2000 of those miles have been with 32's. Planning on replacing belt as preventative before next trip, but wanted to ask about modifications to the clutch for 32's? I know everyone says you have to, but after going that long without an issue I am hesitant to play with something that is known to work.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Clutch upgrades aren’t a fix to belt issues necessarily. The clutch upgrades improve the rpm range and allow the UTV to run in a more operable RPM range for your type of riding.

UTV’s all come off the manufacturing line with generic setups that appeals to a wide range of terrain types. Same with the suspension settings.

I run mostly at sea level and the EPI clutch was a huge upgrade to my RZR. The low and mid range were night and day difference from the stock clutch.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Agreed with the above. You will see a good increase in response with clutching to your specific use and tire size, and get your max RPM where it needs to be with your increased tire size.

I run an adjustable “low altitude” SLP clutch kit on my RZR and a non engine braking helix (car free wheels when you let off the gas). Huge increase in response and I like the easy adjustability to dial it in for my exact setup. Keep in mind the clutch adjustment will vary by weight... tools, spare, 2nd passenger will top out at a different RPM than an empty car. Adjustable does let you remove weights to adjust for a dune trip or whatever else if you do different stuff with the car.

Last edited:

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Agreed with the above. You will see a good increase in response with clutching to your specific use and tire size, and get your max RPM where it needs to be with your increased tire size.

I run an adjustable “low altitude” SLP clutch kit on my RZR and a non engine braking helix (car free wheels when you let off the gas). Huge increase in response and I like the easy adjustability to dial it in for my exact setup. Keep in mind the clutch adjustment will vary by weight... tools, spare, 2nd passenger will top out at a different RPM than an empty car. Adjustable does let you remove weights to adjust for a dune trip or whatever else if you do different stuff with the car.

How do you like the feel of no engine braking? I generally like no engine braking on dirt bikes to not upset the chassis on corner entry, but not sure on the xx

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
How do you like the feel of no engine braking? I generally like no engine braking on dirt bikes to not upset the chassis on corner entry, but not sure on the xx

I love it. It drives better on the street, you can let the car coast into corners, and it does not weight transfer to the front upsetting the car every time you are on and off the gas. As a consequence, you use the brakes more.

All that said most general use clutch kits have less engine braking than stock.