WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

UTV Trip Ensenada to Cabo!

Englewood

Reaction score
Gauging interest for a group ride. I have 3 cars committed. Need 10 minimum.

Cost is $3900 per car. ($2,000 to reserve - Balance due on 9/2)

Itinerary

• Nov 2 arrive in Ensenada @ Horsepower Ranch. Dinner provided.
  • Nov 3-9 Ride to Cabo. Lodging and Breakfast/Dinner provided.
  • Nov 9-13 Stay In Cabo and relax while truck takes cars back to Ensenada.
Ride includes
Guide
Chase Truck
GPS Files
Mechanics w/ spares
Shirts (2)
Hotels 7 nights
Chase Truck/Trailer
Fuel Truck (Pay for fuel used)
UTV transport back to Ensenada (enclosed semi)
Shuttle from Hotel to Airport in Cabo and Airport to trucks in Ensenada

You are responsible for the flight back to Ensenada and the room in Cabo.

I’ve been on rides with this guide (Baja UTV tours) and can’t say enough good things. Cars got fixed quickly, logistics were perfect, trail and speed were amazing. This is a bucket list trip and those that have gone can’t wait to go back again. I’ve done the first half of this trip to Guerro Negro and it was epic!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Curious how do you have parts and spares for the various vehicles?

For example I have a 17 non turbo right now. They’d have parts for that? (Not that I’d think I’d need them)

Englewood

Reaction score
Curious how do you have parts and spares for the various vehicles?

For example I have a 17 non turbo right now. They’d have parts for that? (Not that I’d think I’d need them)
I don’t personally but the owner of the tour company has a lot of parts for the most common UTV’s/breakdowns. Of course you should bring any spares that you have.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I am really intrigued by this and it sounds like the trip of a lifetime... I really want to do it, but I'm not 100% sure what car I will have then? Could be a <gasp> speed utv, or it could be a fully enclosed Can Am Defender or Polaris Northstar..

RD

Mikes56

Reaction score
Scott Engle is that you? I’m talking to my wife about it now, we may be in. What hotel are we staying at in Cabo? Are our trucks and trailers staying at the Horsepower Ranch while we are gone?

Last edited:

beerrun

Reaction score
I like it but not a fan of leaving the truck in Ensenada or driving home with my razor from there

beerrun

Reaction score
Off the grid leaves the trucks in Tecate on the us side I like that idea better

Mikes56

Reaction score
I like it but not a fan of leaving the truck in Ensenada or driving home with my razor from there
Leaving everything at the Horsepower Ranch would be fine, if that’s what they are going to do. There’s a 24 hour guard and a gate, then a long drive down a driveway to get to the hotel/restaurant area.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
This could be an amazing trip. But, I’m curious about the entire 7 nights on the run down spent at various Hotels? Any photos or description of those Hotels?

Mikes56

Reaction score
This could be an amazing trip. But, I’m curious about the entire 7 nights on the run down spent at various Hotels? Any photos or description of those Hotels?
I have some on my phone from when my wife and I went with Off The Grid Expeditions. The hotels on the upper and lower half of the peninsula were pretty nice. In the middle of the peninsula, they were really plain. That was only 2 nights, so it didn’t matter. The local people couldn’t have been kinder or more welcoming. One of the hotel owners popped the cap on a Corona and handed it to me when we drove down his driveway.

Englewood

Reaction score
Vehicles are 100% safe at HP Ranch.

I have some on my phone from when my wife and I went with Off The Grid Expeditions. The hotels on the upper and lower half of the peninsula were pretty nice. In the middle of the peninsula, they were really plain. That was only 2 nights, so it didn’t matter. The local people couldn’t have been kinder or more welcoming. One of the hotel owners popped the cap on a Corona and handed it to me when we drove down his driveway.
Great people who are glad you are there.

The accommodations are not 5-star or even 3-star. I can however promise that the shower will be warm, room will be clean, and the dinner will be amazing! I will get a list. Other than the epic riding, the most fun part is hanging before/during/after the ride and shooting the shit with the others people. Some nights we rolled in at 2:30am and had a 6am wake up. We all still message each other for big rides.

Last edited:

Mikes56

Reaction score
Scott, are we staying in Scorpion Bay for one night? It’s the most amazing town I‘ve ever seen and have been dying to go back.

beerrun

Reaction score
Gauging interest for a group ride. I have 3 cars committed. Need 10 minimum.

Cost is $3900 per car. ($2,000 to reserve - Balance due on 9/2)

Itinerary

Ride includes
Guide
Chase Truck
GPS Files
Mechanics w/ spares
Shirts (2)
Hotels 7 nights
Chase Truck/Trailer

You are responsible for the flight back to Ensenada and the room in Cabo.

I’ve been on rides with this guide (Baja UTV tours) and can’t say enough good things. Cars got fixed quickly, logistics were perfect, trail and speed were amazing. This is a bucket list trip and those that have gone can’t wait to go back again. I’ve done the first half of this trip to Guerro Negro and it was epic!
You dates conflict with the Baja 1000

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
They do conflict with Baja 1000. Getting rooms will damn near be impossible that week. You know me. I am in!!!

elco

Reaction score
Just raced the norra 1000 last week for my first time. The peninsula run from ensanada to cabo is definitely something to be experienced and a format like this would give some more time for exploring. Lots of small towns, missions, and beaches to ride through. Pretty sure these tours have agreements to pay land owners for the ability to cross their land so its not just a trail you can cruise on your own.

Englewood

Reaction score
Well it looks like we need to adjust the dates. Is the week before or after better?

Scott, are we staying in Scorpion Bay for one night? It’s the most amazing town I‘ve ever seen and have been dying to go back.

If we can fill 10 spots, he’ll adjust the route as we request.

The good part about the guide is that his main job is the Mexico sales rep for a well known aftermarket utv company. He knows all the shops and who to go to.

Last edited:

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
The whole month of November is prerunning for the most part. So I would say after

rickym20

Reaction score
We did the 4 day 3 night deal with another company few years ago. Went from Tecate to Ensenada, San Felipe and one of the nights we stayed at Horsepower Ranch. Was one of the highlights of the trips. I would have no issues leaving my stuff there for the week while doing the ride. Jealous I won’t be on that ride but hope you guys get some good pictures and share with us. Have fun out there !

DLC

Reaction score
you should be good! 11/ 3-9 Your missing the weekend before
maybe some pre running and a few groups but not crazy busy!

C18AC47B-5F79-4775-AA46-124A479483C6.jpeg

Mikes56

Reaction score
What do you or the guide need for us to be “in”? Who do we give the deposit to?

dirtslinger2

Reaction score
Well it looks like we need to adjust the dates. Is the week before or after better?

If we can fill 10 spots, he’ll adjust the route as we request.

The good part about the guide is that his main job is the Mexico sales rep for a well known aftermarket utv company. He knows all the shops and who to go to.

You should shoot for after the 1000, folks will be pre-running at least 2 weeks prior to the race.

If you can't move it, and must do it prior to the race, the good news is the 1000 this year is a loop race, so they won't go down south too far past probably Bay of LA. So anything south of that will be wide open.

beerrun

Reaction score
Its not leaving our trucks at horsepower its the drive to and from but as long as we can drive down in groups I think we are in

thmterry

Reaction score
This is definitely on my bucket list!!! Have to see about logistics I already have 4 big trips scheduled and not sure I can pull off a 5th.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Its not leaving our trucks at horsepower its the drive to and from but as long as we can drive down in groups I think we are in

You of all people understand the risk. Honestly I don’t know how you can even still go to Mexico after your experience.

beerrun

Reaction score
Cost dates and what exactly is covered and what we will need to have cash for the extras

Englewood

Reaction score
COST is $3,900

Ride includes
Guide
Chase Truck
GPS Files
Mechanics w/ spares
Shirts (2)
Hotels 7 nights
Chase Truck/Trailer

You will need spending money. I usually take $500-$1,000 spread out different places. We usually grab tacos each day, which is not covered by the trip. Some guys pack coolers and eat their own stuff. I'm not one of those guys.

Deposit of $2,000 is due to deserve the spot. Once it hits 10, it's full. We have a short window to fill the 10. Myself and 2 others are committed as well as @Mikes56 for a total of 4. People flake when no deposit is made and its a lot of work for him to prepare. We will cross the border as a caravan. I think the timing is perfect as race teams will also be down there pre-running.

This isn't a beginner ride. Depending on vehicle issues it could take 12hrs to get to the next stop. Some nights we'll roll in so tired we shower, eat and go to bed. Other nights we drink beers and BS.

If we have our own 10 people, we can alter the route and possibly leave from Tecate which is much easier in my opinion.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Looks like it’s gonna be on hold. I was hoping to get a private group but couldn’t get 10 commitments.
Yea I’m good for 2023 but can’t 2022. I can even put a deposit down now for 2023

Englewood

Reaction score
Would you guys be in enough to place a deposit?

beerrun

Reaction score
I can't till we figure out what we are doing. The opportunity to move to havasau came up last week

coz

-------------------
Reaction score
When I was a kid we were in a buggy and dirtbike group for years. This was the 70's and 80's and we would park on the US side just outside of the town of Tecate. We unloaded the buggies and bikes got insurance then crossed the border into Tecate and take the back roads down to Ensenada and camp on the beach. I remember it being such a cool ride, dirt roads all the way going through the scattered Mexican villiages and beautiful lakes. Not quite the ride in this post but it sure brought back memories of riding south of the border. 👍

Englewood

Reaction score
When I was a kid we were in a buggy and dirtbike group for years. This was the 70's and 80's and we would park on the US side just outside of the town of Tecate. We unloaded the buggies and bikes got insurance then crossed the border into Tecate and take the back roads down to Ensenada and camp on the beach. I remember it being such a cool ride, dirt roads all the way going through the scattered Mexican villiages and beautiful lakes. Not quite the ride in this post but it sure brought back memories of riding south of the border. 👍
The ride we normally do is similar. Tecate to Mike’s Sky Ranch/ Mikes to Ensenada (Coyote Cals)/Ensenada back to Tecate.

Reactions: coz