WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

UTV Underground/State of many forums today

c_land

Reaction score
Just saw this morning the founder of UTVunderground is leaving. I used to go to the site quite a bit. It seemed like a lot of the racers had accounts and would post and dice it up with people who called them out. It was an interesting place to get an insider perspective on racing that would normally be filtered through some BS press release.

Same goes for some other sites I used to frequent, Dezert Rangers, Race DeZert, etc.

It seems like now all the people that used to contribute just go straight to their personal instagram or youtube account.

On of the reasons I come here is to stay away from that nonsense. There's not many of them left with active members that continue to contribute. This place seems to be growing in a time where some of these sites have almost completely signed off. I remember the boats and shows deal with RD a little while ago and he mentioned how big Joey D's operation was.

http://www.utvunderground.com/my-final-story-joey-d-utvunderground-61308.html

" MY FINAL STORY
by: Joey D. // UTVUnderground.com

I never thought I would actually be working to write a story like this. I can honestly say, once UTVUnderground.com took off I always thought this would be the last thing I would ever do. But here I am, 10 years later, sitting down and writing my last story as the Founder, Co-Owner & CEO of UTVUnderground.com.

UTVUnderground started as a hobby, it was never supposed to be a business for me. It was just a way to share my stories and photos with the community on my own site so that I could serve some advertising and receive free parts in trade to help build my Rhino. I had a “real job” back then, and while I was pretty good at it, it wasn’t exactly what I wanted to be doing as an active twenty-something. UTVUG was an amazing distraction and gave me something of my own to do in my free time. What resulted was a passion and desire I had never felt before in my young professional life.

Building a business from nothing brings a level of fulfillment and pride that few ever get the chance to experience. The only thing I can compare it to is raising a child or falling in love. UTVUnderground became and always has been more than just a job or career, it was a labor of love, something I dedicated my life too and sacrificed not only my financial well being to create, but also precious time with my wife and children that I will never get back. It’s easy to think that the best part for me as a business owner was when UTVUnderground finally found success, and that was great too. But in retrospect, the best part was those early years of building it.

While the early years of business are always the hardest financially, there is something about having your back against the wall and having nothing to lose that ignites a fire within that no one can stop. It didn’t matter how many days I had to travel or how many nights I would have to work until sunrise. It didn’t matter that I could barely pay the bills or couldn’t afford to buy my family or self certain things. The only thing that mattered was my work and the only thing on my mind was making sure everyone knew who UTVUnderground was. That feeling I came to realize was the entrepreneurial spirit you hear people talk about so often. It was a special feeling and it was a special time even if I was broke.

Off-road was always something that my closest friends and I loved to do and I can say with all honesty that had UTVUG never become what it is today, I would still be loading up my toys and taking my family to the desert any chance I could. It’s who we are, not just what we do. I am just a regular off-road enthusiast and I think that’s why UTVUG became so successful. It wasn’t forced, it was just a group of like minded people who shared a passion and had an outlet to share in it with the rest of a larger community. What was and still is special to me was that I was able to make the sport I love my career. That was actually something a lot of people warned me against back then. They said to never make your hobby your job or you will lose your love for it. And while that has never happened, when you go from just being a fan of the sport to someone who works in it, you do start to look at it differently. I can tell you, as it pertains to racing, it’s much better just being a fan and a participant than it is a promoter. But if you always remain true to what the sport means to you, and you work to always remain true to the sport, I believe its easy to keep your passion alive. I love building up the sport and the people around me, its the best part of the job for me.

Through my career I was able to travel all over this country and world to share in this passion. I came to realize that off-road was more than just driving a vehicle on dirt & rocks, it was also a way to bond with people that come from all different walks of life and cultures. I have been fortunate to meet some of the most amazing individuals, see some of the most beautiful landscapes, and experience things that many people will go their whole lives wishing they could do for themselves. When I think back on these experiences I realize that God has blessed me more than I ever feel I deserve. I will always be grateful for these experiences and relationships and I often reflect on all of the memories I have forged.

Had you told me back in 2008 that UTVUG would become what it is today I wouldn’t have believed you. Some people say they knew UTVUG would reach this level, and I’ve called bullshit on those people many times. I don’t think anyone could predict that our UTV forum would evolve into the 10 year old brand it’s become today. It took the help of many people along the way, including my partners Matt & Josh Martelli of Mad Media, to bring UTVUG to where it is. It also took the support of enthusiasts and racers who supported the site and the work coming out of it. Ultimately, your success is dependent not just upon the work you create, but the people who you create it for. I was blessed with being a part of an industry that returned so much of the love I put out. I didn’t build this site or brand, the members, racers, and community did.

When I reflect back and think of the things I am most proud of in my career I think it comes back to being able to forge relationships with so many great people and for helping people along on their own journeys. I have found that the things that bring me the most reward are usually the things I do that have no monetary reward. The money is never what drove me in my career. Of course I wanted to make money and take care of my family, but doing things that helped or influenced someone else’s life or career always outweigh a check. Bringing a new sponsor to a racer or supporting a charity always felt so much more rewarding to me and its those things and careers that I have been able to be a part of that I will remember the most. UTVUnderground put me in a position to give back in so many ways and I tried to do that as often as possible during my time here. My two best memories is the Make-A-Wish project that RJ Anderson and I did for Blake Level, and the very first Warfighter Made trip that we did. Those two events filled me with so much pride that if nothing else good came out of my ten years, those two events made it all worth it. Luckily I could go one for days about the other great stories and events I was able to be a part of as well.

Watching the sport progress over the past 10 years has been such a cool experience. The vehicles have transformed tremendously and so has the industry itself. It’s amazing to see how many companies are in this sport now making parts, accessories and building these vehicles up in ways we only dreamed of back in 2005-06 when our Rhino’s were the hot ticket. Now, anywhere you go in the world you can see UTVs being used and built. I am excited to see where it goes in another 10 years. While I do feel the industry may have leveled off a bit, and the glory years of massive progression are probably behind us, I do feel like there is still a long way to go.

When it comes to racing I think everyone knows my passion there. UTVUnderground’s foundation was built around UTV racing & the racers, and its where we built our name and brand. Up until we came around no one had the commitment to supporting UTV racing like we did on such a big and consistent basis. I am proud of what UTVUG has done for the racing community. I have personally witnessed amateurs turn into professionals and I am even more honored to have been part of so many great careers. I have to thank each and every single one of you who has ever ran a UTVUnderground logo on your car, shirt or hat, or thanked us on a podium. It never has and never will go unnoticed by me and I am forever indebted to you because I fully believe UTVUnderground would not be what it is today if it wasn’t for UTV racing. I always tried to include that in every racing story I wrote, a simple thank you, because your representation and support never went unnoticed, even if our photographers or myself didn’t capture an image of you. I will admit, I won’t miss the “why didn’t you post a photo of me?” comments.

The support from the UTV community over the years is what kept me pushing. But the people I surrounded myself with over the years also played some of the biggest roles in giving me the tools, motivation, support, and skill to take UTVUnderground where it is today. My wife and kids were always my inspiration and ultimately are why I do what I do as a person. They pushed me to work harder and always encouraged me and supported me. My family was there through the hardest of times and celebrated with me during the highlights. They are the sole reason why I will never not find success, because I can’t afford to let them down. Their unrelenting support inspired me more than words could ever describe and I love them all for that. My memories reflected below in photos shows just how many great times I had with my wife and children during these years. This career gave me the ability to include my family in a way that most people would dream of. If nothing else, UTVUnderground made me a better father, maybe not always a better husband as my wife will attest too, but I know even she would admit that we have lived a very good life during this time.

Close friends like Rusty Baptist who never looked at what I could do for them, but rather how they could be a part of where UTVUnderground was going also kept me fueled up. Rusty and I have been friends for the majority of our lives, and while I would lose friends during these years, he was one that always stood by me through the good and bad and was always willing to be a part of anything and everything he could. Next to him stands an army of other friends that also supported the cause through the bulk of the years. I hope you know that I love you all, and I mean that.

Of course officially partnering with Mad Media in 2013 was a major turning point as the Martelli Brothers infused new skills, ideas and abilities into our brand helping it go to the next level. Josh & Matt gave me an education on how to push the limits and know my own worth. They never failed to support me through the bad times and they were always there to celebrate alongside me during the good times. They call me the third Martelli brother, and while I will be moving on in my career, I will always remember the amazing things we did together.

The Martelli’s will be responsible for taking UTVUnderground into its next chapter and I have full confidence that they will not just work on UTVUnderground but rather continue on with my mission to always keep the sport and its interests at heart. As partners they have been loyal, reliable and supportive. I am forever indebted to their efforts as my partners and friends. My wish is to see UTVUnderground go to yet another level in my absence as the companies success will always be my own. Despite my moving on, I will forever be tied to the brand as the founder, and because of that I wish nothing but the highest of success for everyone involved in this next chapter.

I always thought I would retire as the Owner and CEO of UTVUnderground.com but rarely did I ever truly think about my own future in detail. When you are filled with the level of drive and commitment that I have been blessed with, you only think about the present and what you can do to win today. But as I approach 40 years of age, I have been forced to think more about my future and how that looks for me as my kids get older. I haven’t set too many goals in my life, I just always knew I wanted to succeed at something, but now it’s time I begin to really set forth on building for my own next chapter. I feel I have reached a point where I have done everything, or most everything, that I have wanted to do as the soul of UTVUnderground and I am ready for new challenges and ready to apply my skills in new ways.

As of September 4th, 2018, I will become a Director within the Transamerican Auto Parts (TAP) corporation which is owned by Polaris Industries and owns such brands as 4 Wheel Parts, Pro-Comp, Smitty-Built, Poison Spyder, Rubicon Express, and more. I will transition from the face of UTVUnderground to becoming a face for these brands, expanding upon my skills in media and the things I do behind the scenes currently with partnerships, racing, sponsorships, and content creation. What’s exciting is I get to actually take the skills I have learned over the course of 10 years at UTVUnderground and step into a role that will allow me to help take what is the largest corporation in off-road to its own next level. The opportunity presented to me is one that allows myself to fully and securely shape my future as a father and husband, and yet still challenge me in a way that I get to once again be part of something special and exciting while further shaping my career as a professional. It’s an exciting new chapter of my life, and I am thrilled that I still get to remain within the sport and industry that I have such a strong passion for. I am equally as thrilled that I have built a strong enough reputation and skill set that a company like TAP would seek someone like me out. If you knew me in school, you would be just as shocked as I am right now!

The UTV industry and off-road as whole has been good to me. The things I have been able to be a part of and do are too numerous to ever expand upon and the people I have shared these memories and times with are just as expansive. I would love to list out each and every person or company who has played a role in my life over the past 10 years but I am sure by now, if you are still reading this, you already know who you are. So with this final story I just want to give one last big THANK YOU. I truly have loved every single minute being the owner and founder of UTVUnderground and I will never forget all of the love this sport and industry has given me.

THIS ISN’T GOODBYE, IT’S JUST A SEE YA LATER….

With Respect,

Joey D."

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
A couple of thoughts -

I don't know if he was bought out or what, but it was probably a good time to get out. Forums as a whole aren't going to grow, and certainly wont grow like they did 15-20 years ago.

Why promote someone else'e website when you can promote yourself instead? If you are a technical contributor in a specific space, it is a better use of your time and energy to package it on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube etc. People don't use forums as much because they don't want to sign up for 30 different forums when they can get to their interests from a single pane of glass using the applications they are already invested in.

In something hot like the UTV industry, the demographics change rapidly. 20 years ago the custom boat industry demographics changed rapidly. Today it is UTVs that people are tripping over themselves to buy, while the demographics of boat ownership in the custom boat space is stagnant by comparison, and the demographic is shifting older.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
I was just reading that. I was very active in glamisdunes.com and Dezert Rangers.com as well as some others. Imo the thing that makes RDP what it is, is the lounge. It’s like have facebook and instagram and Snapchat plus news, and hobbiest content all in one. Some days I feel like RDP is really being stagnant and others days it feels like it’s exploding.

We are missing a lot more Boat content from events and reviews compared to years past.

With Joey D moving on I always wonder what would happen if say Mercury came to Dave Johnson and said we want you to be a “high level advertising excecitive” and write for us full time and insert high pay as well. Would RDP go away at that point?

Back to UTVUG I believe it will become the next race Dezert and cater to the racing ground more than the weekend warrior as the Martelli are heavy into racing “think MInt 400”

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I don't think that place was really ever huge like Forums of yesteryear.

It's been a ghost town for as long as I can remember. unfortunately forums basically died 5-8 years ago when the facebook groups took off.

I personally hate the FB/Instagram group thing...lol I have made some of my best friends on local car/boating forums and that ship sailed.

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score
Reading " The Final Story " really puts in focus what RD has accomplished the past few years with RDP.For sure the Internet is evolving,seems Dave realized this.I'm sure RD will respond to the
" The Final Story ". Obvious RDP has succeeded where others failed,especially when founders moved on.Most businesses,especially service business is a vision and drive of the founder.Thanks RD,also the coverage and pics of LOTO incredible.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
UTV underground came late in the game late. Never really could get into that forum and surprised that it lasted that long. I learned more with GD.com when starting out with sxs,it was like what Bp1127 said, more of the weekend guys posting things. Made it more interacting and relatable.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I was just reading that. I was very active in glamisdunes.com and Dezert Rangers.com as well as some others. Imo the thing that makes RDP what it is, is the lounge. It’s like have facebook and instagram and Snapchat plus news, and hobbiest content all in one. Some days I feel like RDP is really being stagnant and others days it feels like it’s exploding.

We are missing a lot more Boat content from events and reviews compared to years past.

With Joey D moving on I always wonder what would happen if say Mercury came to Dave Johnson and said we want you to be a “high level advertising excecitive” and write for us full time and insert high pay as well. Would RDP go away at that point?

Back to UTVUG I believe it will become the next race Dezert and cater to the racing ground more than the weekend warrior as the Martelli are heavy into racing “think MInt 400”

I’m driving so I haven’t had a Chance to read the final article yet in depth. The little I did read really spoke to me as an owner. The short answer in your hypothetical scenario is found in the word “valuation.” It doesn’t make sense to just simply let rdp go away in the face of opportunity. (Or at least realistic opportunity).

That said, it would have to be one hell of an attractive offer is where I’d leave that. Lol. As in 500k a year or above plus bennies.

A couple of thoughts -

I don't know if he was bought out or what, but it was probably a good time to get out. Forums as a whole aren't going to grow, and certainly wont grow like they did 15-20 years ago.

Why promote someone else'e website when you can promote yourself instead? If you are a technical contributor in a specific space, it is a better use of your time and energy to package it on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube etc. People don't use forums as much because they don't want to sign up for 30 different forums when they can get to their interests from a single pane of glass using the applications they are already invested in.

In something hot like the UTV industry, the demographics change rapidly. 20 years ago the custom boat industry demographics changed rapidly. Today it is UTVs that people are tripping over themselves to buy, while the demographics of boat ownership in the custom boat space is stagnant by comparison, and the demographic is shifting older.

I agree with your sentiments, but there’s an exception to every rule.. most forums are dying off, or going stale.

RDP has nearly doubled its traffic in the last 8-10 months. We went from 64-65,000 unique IP’s to over 100k now a month. Posts are up, like button usage is up..

A lot of site owners are complacent, or in some cases are even putting themselves out of biz with their own social media pages etc.

Bit of these would be longer responses then I’d want to type on a phone.

I just got home from LOTO last night and we were up at 5:30 am to go shoot a members house that Stacy is getting ready to sell so I’ll come back to this in a few hours.

Still can’t believe Joey d hung up the spurs on UTVUG.. that’s crazy..

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I agree with your sentiments, but there’s an exception to every rule.. most forums are dying off, or going stale.

RDP has nearly doubled its traffic in the last 8-10 months. We went from 64-65,000 unique IP’s to over 100k now a month. Posts are up, like button usage is up..

A lot of site owners are complacent, or in some cases are even putting themselves out of biz with their own social media pages etc.

Bit of these would be longer responses then I’d want to type on a phone.

I just got home from LOTO last night and we were up at 5:30 am to go shoot a members house that Stacy is getting ready to sell so I’ll come back to this in a few hours.

Still can’t believe Joey d hung up the spurs on UTVUG.. that’s crazy..

I agree, you must be innovative to keep a forum relevant and going these days. You were in the right time and place when this started, with the right demographic of people. You also have a largely localized captive audience/membership base. If you had to start this forum today however, it would never get off the ground. The fact that in whatever capacity you have embraced/worked with/coopetitioned with the River/Desert whips folks is at least helping both of you collectively instead of starting a war in a niche market that no one will win.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I say good for him. If that's really what he wants to do!

Corporate America is a whole different animal than doing your own thing and calling your own shots. Maybe that's what he always wanted?

Even with a massive pay plan and great benefits, having to ask for time off to watch your kids play sports, is something I could just never get used to.

Good luck to him. That's a great story he wrote!

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Seems like a lot of forums have really lost their participation numbers.
I used to post quite a bit on NSXPrime back during the heyday... but its been pretty dead these days.
I don't really enjoy scrolling FB like I do reading stuff on here.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Seems like a lot of forums have really lost their participation numbers.
I used to post quite a bit on NSXPrime back during the heyday... but its been pretty dead these days.
I don't really enjoy scrolling FB like I do reading stuff on here.

VerticalScope fucked up a whole hell of a lot of good forums.

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
I was a little surprised to hear that Joey decided to leave UTVUG until I thought about it. UTVUG really isn't a forum primarily. It's a marketing platform with a forum attached. In my talks with Joey on trips we've been on, he really put little weight in the forums as a business model. What made UTVUG what it is was its ability to influence in its industry. They embraced social media early and built a footprint online that simply can't be denied by marketers. That site with Joey at the helm basically took a niche hobby and turned it into a mainstream industry. When he started UTVs were farm machines that people were repurposing to use as recreation vehicles. That hobby pushed manufacturers to answer a demand for recreation purposed machines. The relationship that grew between Joey and Polaris over the years fostered a platform for promotion and helped the UTV industry become what it is today. The partnership with Mad Media was also a smart move. Mad Media was able to help Joey produce a quality of content that none of his competition was even able to imagine let alone touch. Their product was polished and unique and became an obvious choice for industry powerhouses like Polaris to latch on to.
His move makes sense. He has a great relationship with Polaris and his move will bring him in house with one of their divisions and opens up tons of opportunity to move within the corporation. I'm sure he is looking into the future wondering where people's attention is going next a whether the UTVUG platform will become obsolete and if so, where does that leave him and his family. He's a smart dude and he understands that industry better than anyone, so I have no doubt that this has been well thought out and that his family's future was the first thing on his mind when he made his decision.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I say good for him. If that's really what he wants to do!

Corporate America is a whole different animal than doing your own thing and calling your own shots. Maybe that's what he always wanted?

Even with a massive pay plan and great benefits, having to ask for time off to watch your kids play sports, is something I could just never get used to.

Good luck to him. That's a great story he wrote!

That is why you get into outside sales :)

evantwheeler

Reaction score
I don't know any of you personally, but have spent the last 10-12 years of my life perusing various websites as my hobbies have shifted. Pirate4x4, ZR2usa, ih8mud.com, RZR forum, RDP, and GlamisDunes.

For a forum such as this, I think there are some things that must remain in place to keep the feel and keep the board alive and growing.
1. The forum owner (an individual) must be present/active, and firm/fair/consistent with the members. -RD excels at this.
2. The moderators must share the same firm/fair/consistent mindset and not create cliques. -The mods here are great.
3. Pussification of the board and/or censorship of its members usually leads to less interesting topics, loads of mindless drivel, decreasing quality of discussions and user generated content. - RD & mods do a great jobs of allowing pretty much anything to go within reason. A good example is how everyone reacted to the CindyBin character a while back. Lots of fun & swearing. Perfect.
4. Minimize commercialization and corporate influence, or do a very good job of keeping it in the background. This has to be the most difficult as an owner, because ultimately, you want this thing to generate income.

I think a forum has to feel like a clubhouse. If you're part of a club, you usually have very similar interests with other members, which bring us together to discuss various topics. The club and clubhouse require leadership and discipline to keep the club on the track that brought everyone together. As soon as a forum looses the clubhouse feel, which is usually related to the owner leaving or a corporate buyout, I lose interest and leave because the pussification increases exponentially along with the commercialization. I don't come to the clubhouse to have ads of garbage products shoved into my face (as in pirate4x4) or listen to people discuss topics that don't align with what brought me to the site.

RDP is the best clubhouse I've found on the web. I think you all do a great job and enjoy my time here. I understand why Joey moved on and think it was a very smart move for him. I would understand if RD left to put himself and his family in a better place, but this place would not be the same and would likely deteriorate quickly without his presence.

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
I was pretty active on the UTVUG forums years ago, when I had my Teryx. It was due to in no small part to the people onthose forums that I bought the Cognito Long Travel kit for it, and I gave an honest and thorough review of it. (Awesome kit) That was in 2009-10ish, and the forums then were pretty active.
Joey D came to the rescue for me and made some hard to find factory parts I needed to get the car back together not only appear, but appear dang near overnight, and neither Joey or his connection at Kawasaki would take a dime for their help.
I won't forget that.
Somewhere along the line the focus changed to what you guys have pointed out, and the connection to Polaris became much tighter.
I was gone for awhile with medical stuff and when I came back I struggled to even find the forums on the site. People had moved on, which was surprising but it is what people do.
It sounds like Joey has given this move a lot of thought, and sounds like he is happy with the choice he has made. He really did have a huge impact on the sport and in the process developed a innate gift for marketing, which it sounds like others have noticed.
I wish him nothing but the best.
I don't do the instagram, Facebook or other social media stuff, I like the way the forums work and I will stick to this program.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
Good Luck to Joey D!!!! Enjoyed watching some of his YouTube videos from the Dunes, and all other places UTV.

I’m sure the allure of a steady paycheck, benefits, chance for corporate advancement is a big reason to move on. When you have kids priorities change. And let’s be real Polaris who was UTVUG’s biggest paying sponsor hasn’t been doing so well in sales the last year after Can-Am debuted the X3-RS.

Joey should do great in corporate America. He’s a real rah-rah motivator from what I’ve seen. :cool:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Now that I am actually sitting at a computer (for the first time in almost a week) I took the time today to read Joey's final story. Honestly it really hits home for me as an owner.

I was doing the math on that program last night, and honestly I don't know what made him walk away and take a job at Polaris, but I'd have to imagine it isn't just a paycheck / stability and benefits. I have some theories on that, but it isn't my business so no point in saying anything that at best would be theory anyways.

At the end of the day for the online world, Joey D is always one of the guys that I admired. It is extremely impressive how far he got, and in such a short amount of time. The presence UTVUnderground has at places like the Sand Sports Super Show is unbelievable, and their presence in the industry is undeniable.

I really do wish the guy good fortune going into the future, but I'm sad to see him go.

For my personal thoughts on it, I think their production quality being partners with Mad Media is one of the things that makes that site and their content cool.. but at the heart of it I think it really is Joey D. Unless they bring in another front man that the people can relate too as "one of their own" I think you are going to see the numbers start falling at some point in the future.

I agree, you must be innovative to keep a forum relevant and going these days. You were in the right time and place when this started, with the right demographic of people. You also have a largely localized captive audience/membership base. If you had to start this forum today however, it would never get off the ground.

Well... I'm not sure I agree with pretty much any of that. Then again RDP isn't the first forum that I built either, it's just going to be the last. The reason why most people can't get them off the ground is because it is an insane amount of work, insanely expensive in the beginning, and even if you get past those two hurdles you have to have the magic recipe to keep new members online in the beginning. As I said earlier RDP isn't the first large forum that I created and built, so honestly if the plug got pulled on it today.. I'd have 75% of it back in 6-8 months.. The rest would take time in dialing in Thread titles / google / etc.. To get ranked up and that would take me 12-24 months etc (assuming I didn't dump a pile of cash into SEO from the get go).

More to the point of why these forums (not UTVUnderground, but rather others) are failing is because of the owners themselves. Most of these guys really don't pay attention to the details, or spend the time to participate in their own sites. They get lazy and complacent and just want to sell banner ads, and try to squeeze the sites out of all the money they can get. Some of my competitors in the boating forum world decided it would be a great idea to pop a giant ad every time a page loads that you actually have to close to be able to read the thread.. LOL That's just stupid on every level, and I don't care how much they got paid for that, to me it isn't worth it. You have to be careful balancing the dollars vs why people come to the site to begin with. Most of these guys are so short sited they tend to forget the people on the site are what matters, because if you lose them, you have nothing.

A couple of simple things that I could hit on as an example to that is even just the software. I know my group was extremely comfortable on the later versions of VB. I would only upgrade the softwares when I was dead sure it wouldn't have an impact on the community and we spent A LOT of time customizing those softwares so that they would look and function similar to the version previous. That in itself preserved the user experience.

Almost every big board that I have been on was running VB throughout the years... and when VB came out with version 5, a lot of those guys jumped with both feet into the "upgrade" that turned out to be their demise because the new software was terrible. That's one of a hundred things that I could hit on as an owner, but you get the point.

The fact that in whatever capacity you have embraced/worked with/coopetitioned with the River/Desert whips folks is at least helping both of you collectively instead of starting a war in a niche market that no one will win.

I try to get along with everybody. I'm not sure what you are referring to as far as working with them etc? The only thing I can think of is I did a party with them down at the heat, and then was tied to them a little for the Lickity Split fundraisers (those are just finishing up now by the way). As for the rest, just like I tell everyone "Jump on in, the waters fine." :D

There's been many attempts to get new magazines off the ground, new forums off the ground, new websites off the ground.. I think people think this line of work is easier than it actually is in reality. Everyone's gotta give it their shot though, and so long as they don't do anything unethical to me, I could careless what anybody does.. I'm more focused on what I'm doing, and where we are going into the future.. And for now the future of RDP looks pretty bright. ;)

RD

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
A couple of thoughts -

Forums as a whole aren't going to grow, and certainly wont grow like they did 15-20 years ago.

Just to address that comment.. I tend to agree "as a whole" but if you know what you are doing and you put the work in, and don't treat your members like cattle... Forum styled communities can and will flourish even in this social media world.

Here's my numbers from last year and this year. As of right now we have just about doubled them in 12 months.

July2017.JPG

July2018.JPG

The numbers are even higher than that now, and growth is actually ramping UP, not falling off.

When I'm cruising around the threads on the forum, one of my favorite things to see is new names.. and especially from different parts of the country.

RD

King295

Well-Known Inmate #20225
Reaction score
Just to address that comment.. I tend to agree "as a whole" but if you know what you are doing and you put the work in, and don't treat your members like cattle... Forum styled communities can and will flourish even in this social media world.

Here's my numbers from last year and this year. As of right now we have just about doubled them in 12 months.

View attachment 677936

View attachment 677937

The numbers are even higher than that now, and growth is actually ramping UP, not falling off.

When I'm cruising around the threads on the forum, one of my favorite things to see is new names.. and especially from different parts of the country.

RD

Love that you aren't scared to post up your stats. How much of this do you think is being driven by the economy? Or working backwards, how hard of a hit did you seen in your numbers following the 2008 housing market fallout?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Love that you aren't scared to post up your stats. How much of this do you think is being driven by the economy? Or working backwards, how hard of a hit did you seen in your numbers following the 2008 housing market fallout?

The economy doesn't really affect the site stats. What it does affect is the sites income! :D Hard to sell advertising to boating companies when none of them are building boats.

Heck that was when I joined here, as I had nothing better to do!

LOL.. Proof in the pudding! :D

RD