WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

V drive Hydraulic Steering

HAP

Reaction score
Here is my hydraulic steering set up. I bought a Jastram balanced 7" throw commercial cylinder on Ebay. After lots of research, I settled on the Seastar Pro helm pump. I customized all of my rigging to achieve a 2 turn system with the 2.4 pump. Very happy with the set-up and the pump quality matched to the high-end cylinder. I would only recommend the PRO pump as it produces higher pressure and requires the special high pressure hoses. My rudder is an overkill 1 1/4" shaft.
R,
HAP
IMG_3356.jpg
IMG_3357.jpg
IMG_3358.jpg
IMG_2111.jpg

vdcruiser

Reaction score
That's impressive to say the least. Care to comment on the parts used ?

Reaction score
I've had both the command 2 dual cable and full hydraulic. The command 2 was a great steering but I don't think you can get parts for it anymore. Feedback is minimal to about 60-80mph with a good trailing rudder.

The full hydraulic is awesome to drive at any speed and really shines 50-100+ no feed back and solid. Put the steering wheel where you want it and you can take your hands off and it will stay. Feel is light, similar to dual cable. It will steer with the motor off but requires quite a bit of pressure.

Down side is the cost and involvement in rigging. I think 3500 is on the absolute low end it could cost. I could see 3500 for parts alone. 500 for charlynne. +/- 800 for pump, 2500 for ram or duals. Steering post needs some machining, brackets made etc. Pump needs pulleys, brackets, reservoir etc. Still need hoses or hard lines. I like ptfe. Probably the most involved is the mounting of the rams and tiller set up. This all adds up. Here's some pics of one I did a couple years ago for ideas. This one was involved. There's many different ways to do it. I think concept has a pretty good solution right now
IMG_2422.JPG
IMG_2422.JPG
IMG_2033.JPG

lenmann

Reaction score
Holy crap! that piece is beautiful! There was a big slug of chips in the pan on that deal.

Reactions: D19

SFV2RVR

Registered Parker Legend
Reaction score
Does anybody know who makes this power steering pump bracket/mount I already called KRC they don’t make it???

It was custom made. Not something you can buy off the shelf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blownbillybob

Reaction score
So the ram I picked up that’s rated at 2000psi has a nylon piston that is cracked luckily I had to take it apart to do some modifications and found it???
DC9E6EFD-CC7E-4000-BE9C-B7CF0B61C273.jpeg

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Does anybody know who makes this power steering pump bracket/mount I already called KRC they don’t make it???

Alexi makes mounts for that pump. I had one on my motor as well.
IMG_0454.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul Kane

Reaction score
Hello ! Long time lurker, decided to register and share some build photos.
We installed a SeaStar inboard hydraulic system in our Glen-L Hot Rod :

hot_rod_683b.jpg

SeaStar 2.0 Sport Tilt Pro hydraulic Helm.

355_073.jpg

To mount the cylinder within the stringers, we fabricated a
slave tiller arm which connects to the central tiller arm via an
adjustable tie bar.

hot_rod_564.jpg

We quickened the steering action to 3 turns lock-to-lock by using a SeaStar 2.0 Sport Tilt Pro hydraulic Helm displacing 2 cu.in./rev. and a SeaStar BA125-7ATM cylinder. Hydraulic lines were plumbed with seamless annealed copper tubing.​

Click here to see the installation photos.

Building the Glen-L Hot Rod : http://www.kanecustomboats.com
Glen-L Hot Rod build thread
Kane Custom Boats YouTube channel
Glen-L Boat Video Directory

Forum Support Knowledge Base

Last edited:

Rickybobby

Reaction score
Ok maybe a stupid question. Does the tiller arm geometry change when hydraulics are introduced?? I want to install a system in my 24 (50 year old cable system in my boat sucks), but I need/want a new tiller arm.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Ok maybe a stupid question. Does the tiller arm geometry change when hydraulics are introduced?? I want to install a system in my 24 (50 year old cable system in my boat sucks), but I need/want a new tiller arm.

Yes, and the dual link don't work correctly on geometry.

Ram should be mounted directly to the tiller, or a single link arm used (in the dual links pictured in this thread one is sloppy and slotted all it does is acts as a backup if the first one breaks.

After years of working on these things i think the best combo is a single ram on it's normal clevis pivot, with the working end coupled directly to the tiller. A balanced ram isn't really necessary or that noticeable when you are driving (especially if you have a smaller rod diameter one that has a more even unbalance of volume). Less plumbing than dual rams, easier when you need to drop the rudder and work on anything.

Imco's 5/8" diameter shaft rams are great for this application.

Rickybobby

Reaction score
Does anyone build billet tiller arms?? Single hole, for the ram.

lenmann

Reaction score
call ron at IMCO, usually an 8" stroke 5/8" rod single ram and their smallest CC helm is about ideal for a vdrive, it's about 4 turns lock to lock if i remember correctly, 1.5 turns in one direction and 2.5 in the other (this is because you are using a single ram that is unbalanced. You won't notice it when driving. If you want to have balanced steering you either need to use two rams, or a balanced ram (IMCO doesn't make those). As i've gotten older i tend to appreciate the simpler setups, and a single ram just makes for a much cleaner installation, less hoses, less bracketry, easier to clean and work on. And still many magnitudes stronger than a cable setup.

702-294-3030 IMCO NV

@Racey I spoke to Ron today and ordered up these components for my RC. Super knowledgeable and helpful guy, a pleasure to do business with. Thanks for the lead.

I started modeling up what I think the ram mount and tiller might look like and I found myself wondering how much rudder rotation left and right is typical, and what establishes the steering stops?