WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

V-drive injury risk?

Nikwho

Reaction score
Okay, super vague question here about the average ('60's or '70's era) v-drive that is maintained correctly. How common is it to have case or driveline issues with some of these old v-drive boats? I've been really wanting a family cruiser v-drive. Nothing absurd. I'm thinking 500-600 HP BBC.

I keep thinking about my 6 year old sitting next to a v-drive unit, likely straddling or resting his legs on the driveline cover. Is it common for units to come apart or have catastrophic failures? If so, do those aluminum scatter shields keep the (maybe) balanced driveline from shit-whipping around inside of the boat? I've owned multiple jet boats, I/O's and a direct drive boat once. Just never owned a v-drive and I've always really wanted one.

So, how common are failures that could cause injuries?

Thank you in advance for educating me!

Nik

Dansblown73Nordic

Reaction score
As long as you do your maintenance you will never have a problem. Maintenance being grease and check your U joints. The actual V-Drive would be almost impossible to cause any injury unless it totally exploded. In my 25 years with V-Drives I have never heard of anything like that happening.

zx14

The Skipper
Reaction score
upload_2019-1-9_6-10-51.jpeg
My “boys” worried about that same thing when I drove one like this a few times.

Nikwho

Reaction score
As long as you do your maintenance you will never have a problem. Maintenance being grease and check your U joints. The actual V-Drive would be almost impossible to cause any injury unless it totally exploded. In my 25 years with V-Drives I have never heard of anything like that happening.

I assumed that it wasn't really a big concern. I had never heard of it myself. I think that the thought came into my mind after watching the Stubby Bob wheelie episode of Roadkill. Obviously what they were doing is a totally different animal than a boat. Just planted the idea and gears were turning.

Thank you.

bagged97taco

Reaction score
I grew up riding on the Vdrive of my dads flatties. My wife says absolutely not for our kids now so I just take my son in the flat and she drives the cruiser around with my daughter.

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
The nasty damage would happen with a drive shaft coming loose and not have safety loops in place, we use the engine to keep warm in the mornings :)

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
I’d look for something with a floor. Because the prop shaft is spinning and anything they drop can get tangled in it. Ropes. Towels. Clothes. Feet. The drive shaft should be in a shield or have loops. I wouldn’t worry about breaking a vdrive with 600hp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nikwho

Reaction score
What a picture! I love it! I never thought about ski ropes and towels! Great points. Thanks guys! New high quality u-joints and a driveline balancing might be a good idea, if I get a new to me v-drive.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
What a picture! I love it! I never thought about ski ropes and towels! Great points. Thanks guys! New high quality u-joints and a driveline balancing might be a good idea, if I get a new to me v-drive.

Ski rope stays coiled up on the floor near the transom. It won't jump the stringer. Towels... well just use common sense and you'll be fine.

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
I never had a problem on my AquaCraft V-Drive, I would suggest installing a drive shaft Tube for exploding U-joints

Nikwho

Reaction score
Those who know.. know. This could go in the pussification of America thread. Heaters, toilets and showers don’t belong in boats

Asking about basic safety risks warrants a trip to the pussification of America thread? C'mon...

Nikwho

Reaction score
Ski rope stays coiled up on the floor near the transom. It won't jump the stringer. Towels... well just use common sense and you'll be fine.

Six year olds don't always follow what I would call "common sense", though. Just a different level of awareness needed, if the driveline isn't covered.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
Six year olds don't always follow what I would call "common sense", though. Just a different level of awareness needed, if the driveline isn't covered.

When I was 6 my Dad had enough common sense to make sure we all knew what things were and weren't safe for hands and fingers. The upper drive line is always covered and the lower isn't a problem. Here's a video (that I made) that might give you some reassurance.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score

This was purely meant for someone who’s never owned a vdrive and has a 6 year old. I hate having the floor in mine. I can’t see if it’s leaking. Plus all my running gear is polished and I like the look of it all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nikwho

Reaction score
When I was 6 my Dad had enough common sense to make sure we all knew what things were and weren't safe for hands and fingers. The upper drive line is always covered and the lower isn't a problem. Here's a video (that I made) that might give you some reassurance.

I've watched this video many times! I love it. Thanks for making it! Lot of great boats in that vid!

Molassesmaker

Reaction score
i have a floor in my howard but no shield or loops. And since were on the subject of driveling saftey would anyone know a reputable company in the L.A. O.C. area to have mine ballanced? I think even if the floor stopped it from coming upward it would definately cause a certain amount of damage down there to create a mojor problem.

Nikwho

Reaction score
I can't help with a recommendation up in your area. Any good driveline shop should be able to balance it. When I lived in north county San Diego there was a driveline shop (I want to say in San Marcos) that was called Richards Rear End Repair and he referred to himself as "Richard The Proctologist". I wonder if he's still in business, or if he has retired. Anyway, a well balanced driveline would be far less likely to blow out a u-joint, I know that.

Last edited:

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
I can't help with a recommendation up in your area. Any good driveline shop should be able to balance it. When I lived in north county San Diego there was a driveline shop (I want to say in Adam Marcos) that was called Richards Rear End Repair and he referred to himself as "Richard The Proctologist". I wonder if he's still in business, or if he has retired. Anyway, a well balanced driveline would be far less likely to blow out a u-joint, I know that.

Some of us don't run U joints.
DSC00130.JPG

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
i have a floor in my howard but no shield or loops. And since were on the subject of driveling saftey would anyone know a reputable company in the L.A. O.C. area to have mine ballanced? I think even if the floor stopped it from coming upward it would definately cause a certain amount of damage down there to create a mojor problem.

Inland Empire Drive line for your driveshaft and below that your propeller should be balanced by a prop shop.

Nikwho

Reaction score
I can't help with a recommendation up in your area. Any good driveline shop should be able to balance it. When I lived in north county San Diego there was a driveline shop (I want to say in Adam Marcos) that was called Richards Rear End Repair and he referred to himself as "Richard The Proctologist". I wonder if he's still in business, or if he has retired. Anyway, a well balanced driveline would be far less likely to blow out a u-joint, I know that.
Some of us don't run U joints.
View attachment 718547

That's a beautiful boat! Do you run a transmission?

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
Drive line services in Gardena (I believe that's right) they just did my drive shaft for the Spectra. Wooden floors will not stop the drive shaft if it lets loose. We have 10 plus flats in my family and I have only ever seen 1 issue with a drive line issue but for me 1 is enough to make sure all have the safety set up. no floors in the flats just keep the ropes out side the stringers and I don't allow towels in my flat bottom.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I assumed that it wasn't really a big concern. I had never heard of it myself. I think that the thought came into my mind after watching the Stubby Bob wheelie episode of Roadkill. Obviously what they were doing is a totally different animal than a boat. Just planted the idea and gears were turning.

Thank you.

Hahaha...

That was one of my favorite episodes, everything that could go wrong, did!

I've never seen a boat do anything like that. I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

:)

Zhammy3

Reaction score
For what it's worth, I have blown up my casale v-drive. Not sure of the actual shrapnel per say, as i have a finished interior. It did throw a gear and break the case.