WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

V-Drive Newbie

cofooter

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Looking to restore a classic v-drive. Not really that familiar with them other than growing up riding around in friends boats at the river. I've done several restores (hulls, stringer, floors) on ski boats so I am familiar with the process for the most part but these v-drive hulls are different.

I have a builder motor I'm tinkering around with and I'm looking for a hull (not too many here in Colorado) but did go and look at this one today.

http://denver.craigslist.org/boa/3800397020.html

Exterior paint was peeling but overall looked structurally sound. Wood was all good inside, but I had two major concerns looking at it.

1. Behind the drivers side passenger seet was about an 18"x18" hollow sounding spot in the hull. I suspect it is delaminating. I assume it is a composite hull with balsa or something else between fiberglass layers? Do people typically repair these, or is this a show stopper? How is the repair done?

2. Other areas of the hull between the stringers seemed structurally sound but I could see lots of "cracks" or at least crazing in the top layer of resin. Not sure how deep they were, like I said, did not seem structural. Mostly around the rudder shaft, and prop shaft. Is this a big concern, or is it typical.

Thanks for any info. I'd pass but I think I could pick this up pretty cheap, probably for the price of the trailer (few hundy) if I wanted it.

Thanks!

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
You should know by now that no one (with you being the exception) enters this section. :)

cofooter

Reaction score
Hey Wheeler, whats up! Just trying to follow the rules here. lol. You back in Parker?

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score

Attachments

• DSCN1458[1].jpg
    DSCN1458[1].jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

cofooter

Reaction score
Passed through Parker Saturday. Had to take care of something on the house.

I'll be back in August and for a week in October. I'll give you a call.