WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

v-drive question

Boobybouncer

Mighty Member
Reaction score
is there anythig special i should look for before i put this in the water for the first time?? it's been sitting for 10 years or more before i got it.. i'm finishing up the fuel tanks and put a battery in it and i think it's ready.. but then again i know nothing of v-drive's and of a rookie at this:D

100_0098-1.jpg

100_0099.jpg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Not speaking for Brian here, but I know he's slammed with work.

Have you gone through the motor at all? Looked for metal shavings in the oil? changed the oil? Compression / Leak down etc?

Changed the oil in the v-drive?

I think you'll probably have to change out the prop shaft seal just from it sitting for so long, but don't quote me on that.

I'd also look at the rudder, and make sure everything there is 5x5..

Truthfully I'd probably take the boat to B&D if it's convenient for you, and have them give it the once over. It's not that terribly expensive from what I understand and worth the peace of mind, that the rudder ain't going to fall out of it on your maiden voyage.. LOL

RD

Boobybouncer

Mighty Member
Reaction score
my pops rebuilt the motor and we have it running.. the steering cables seem good and secured in place. how exactly do you change the oil and what what kind should i use??

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
my pops rebuilt the motor and we have it running.. the steering cables seem good and secured in place. how exactly do you change the oil and what what kind should i use??

Got no idea.. LOL Never done it before to the v-drive itself.. Mostly becuase I've never owned a v-drive.

B&D's phone # is listed at the top of this page though. Give Brian a call, and I'm sure he'd be happy to answer any of your questions. :)

Make sure you let him know you posted it in his section 1st.. LOL

RD

HottRoddeR

Reaction score
Did you replace the water pump impeller when you went through the motor? If not, it'll need to be replaced.

Changing the v-drive oil may not be necessary but it's also not a bad idea. If the case is sealed up good and hasn't got any moisture in it you might be OK. If you decide to change it, it's easier if you can generate some heat in the case first. Makes that 90W a little more like oil than syrup. There's a gear oil change thread here that you can review.

http://www.v-driveboat.com/vweb/showthread.php?t=145

Boobybouncer

Mighty Member
Reaction score
Did you replace the water pump impeller when you went through the motor? If not, it'll need to be replaced.

Changing the v-drive oil may not be necessary but it's also not a bad idea. If the case is sealed up good and hasn't got any moisture in it you might be OK. If you decide to change it, it's easier if you can generate some heat in the case first. Makes that 90W a little more like oil than syrup. There's a gear oil change thread here that you can review.

http://www.v-driveboat.com/vweb/showthread.php?t=145

don't think it was changed but he didn't see anything wrong with it.. i'll pull it back off and check/change it myself to be sure.. i'm thinking i will just pull the the drive out and pull it apart, it would be less costly to find a problem before instead of after:hmm

BDMar

B & D Marine
Reaction score
Sorry for my tardiness!! I'll be back to answer this in a few hours. Good advice from Dave.