WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

V-drive stuffing box Identification for parts

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
This stuffing box was in my Campbell, and I would like to know what band is it so I can replace the
Dual lip seals that look like a Glide, but it is not mine has a grease fitting.
Can those seals get replaced with an automotive wheel seal?
The other is a strut bushing easy find
Thank you, PJ
Cseal.jpg
Cseal1.jpg

Last edited:

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
Thanks Guys,
I'll be dammed, I have never seen a stuffing box like that, Just the old Packing style.
Hooking water up to it must come from teeing off from the cooling system I gather.

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
I have a 71 Campbell that was all tore apart , I never saw any of the set up hooked up.
Can't I just plumb incoming water to the engine then to the trany then to the V-drive then to the shaft seal and exhaust?

Beautiful Noise

Reaction score
I don’t have that kind of set up as you.I’m sure somebody will be able to help you figure out your plumbing ......

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
I have a 71 Campbell that was all tore apart , I never saw any of the set up hooked up.
Can't I just plumb incoming water to the engine then to the trany then to the V-drive then to the shaft seal and exhaust?

You can tee off to the trans cooler and vdrive then dump there. But you’ll need the majority of the water going to the exhaust to keep them cool.

Ask Racey, but why couldn’t you come off the back of the intake manifold with two dash 6’s and go into an 8 and run that leg of cooling and exit out the prop shaft? Just wondering if that would work and keep steam pockets off the back of the motor at the same time?

If not I would say that leg of the cooling system needs it’s own separate pickup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
Thanks ,
There is two pick ups in the bottom of the hull, Maybe one for the engine/ exhaust and one for the trany and v-drive and Shaft seal.
And I guess the pump is for both.

Outdrive1

Reaction score
Thanks ,
There is two pick ups in the bottom of the hull, Maybe one for the engine/ exhaust and one for the trany and v-drive and Shaft seal.
And I guess the pump is for both.

No. The pump is for the motor and then exhaust. Usually the trans cooler and vdrive are force fed.

Outdrive1

Reaction score
Yes. That pickup probably isn’t flat with the bottom of the boat. It should have a little lip below the bottom on the back side, you’d be surprised at his much pressure you can make while under way.

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
Paul, my Spectra originally came with the gear box being cooled with water picked up from a small scoop in the rear of the boat, the water went thru the velvet drive trans cooler and then to the gear box and exited thru the shaft log. I just didn't like the looks of it so I set it up like my flat two small scoops under the gear box, one faces forward and one faces backwards, quick in and out. I have another 1" scoop under the boat that feeds the water pump. It comes from the bottom thru a sea strainer to the pump then splits thru my trans cooler on one side and oil cooler on the other and goes into my headers then out the headers to the block.

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
Hi Cliff, When I find a 454 I can set up the cooling, I'll have to find the Tranny cooler also, I missed out on a nice 454 in a jet boat.
I'm also waiting for the belly gas tanks. The price of Aluminum Jumped the cost quite a bit.
So I have been working on the seats and running gear, and floor.
The floor is going to be removable with Angle aluminum bolted to the stringers, and rivet nuts.
I have all winter, so there is no pressure to complete this project.
PJ

poncho

Reaction score
Just throwing out another option, I did a new stuffing box and a few other things this summer. I have been buying parts from Dave for a few years now and couldn't ask for a better experience. Never too busy to answer the phone or a text.

https://www.connollymarine.com/default.asp

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
I called Connolly and talk to Dave, I have to Agree, Dave was very helpful.
I'am in the middle of redoing the upholstery right now, epoxy Sealing the wood and re stapling The Vinyl back on.
While the epoxy is curing one two pieces I'll work on the running gear.
Tomorrow I can order the seals
Anyone hear of a 454 cheap please let me know.
I figgure winter time some will come up.

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
cofooter are you still looking for a 1968 Schiada?
I know where one is for 1,150, All i want is the 454 in it.

cofooter

Reaction score
cofooter are you still looking for a 1968 Schiada?
I know where one is for 1,150, All i want is the 454 in it.

No not me, but thanks, I have a 73 Sanger I'm restoring , maybe someone else on here......

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Just saw all the responses here, OD1 and everyone else are pretty much spot on :cool:

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
thanks ,I R&R shaft bushing,
The question I have is How do ya adjust the stuffing box?
The Flax style is 4-5 drops a minute.
oops. I must have saw dust in the brain, no stuffing box adjustment, just two lip seals. DA

Last edited:

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
Just throwing out another option, I did a new stuffing box and a few other things this summer. I have been buying parts from Dave for a few years now and couldn't ask for a better experience. Never too busy to answer the phone or a text.

https://www.connollymarine.com/default.asp
Your so right about Dave, I drove to his shop last week and bought a Nice 454 engine from him.
Thanks again. PJ