WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

V-Drive vs. I/O

Bobo57

Reaction score
Hi all,
Not sure if this is the right place for this post but let’s give it a shot......this topic has probably been beaten to death but please humor me and give that horse one more lashing.

New to RDP and been lurking for a few months. In a past life I had a jet boat so somewhat familiar with those from years ago. Thinking about getting back into a boat and thinking about a bigger size, 21-24 and figure V-Drive or I/O are the logical choices.

looking to get experiences and recommendations out there For comparison between the two.

thinking about features like:
Handling
Fuel efficiency
Noise
Low speed handling
Maintenance
Tracking
Power efficiency thru a transmission
Etc. and any other performance comparisons you might deem relevant.
Thx
B

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
I have a great example for you, my brother had a Howard cruiser (Spectra Splash) had a small block and an out drive, I have a Spectra V-drive. No we didn't have these at the same time but its a good comparison. I am 100% biased towards the V-drive, grew up in flats and have owned and still own a flat since I was 25:

Handling: docking and marina would go to out drive, at speed I love the V-drive.
Fuel efficiency: How do you drive it... i would think the two are similar, neither drive needs to rpm like crazy to get moving.
Noise: use a split case Casale and enjoy the V-drive wine, my Champion box is very quiet. Not sure you would have much difference in drive noise.
Low speed handling: out drive all the way, but who wants to go slow
Maintenance: Change oil on every few years in my flat bottom, had same box since 95' never had an issue, I know my brother broke the outdrive several times with a small block...
Tracking: More than the drive here, with a V-drive, you have strut angle location etc.
Power efficiency thru a transmission: You can gear up in the box but need to have power, assuming same issue with out drive but i think you have more options there.
Appearance: Biased opinion here but I love looking at the back of a nicely rigged vdrive, nothing prettier.

Bobo57

Reaction score
I have a great example for you, my brother had a Howard cruiser (Spectra Splash) had a small block and an out drive, I have a Spectra V-drive. No we didn't have these at the same time but its a good comparison. I am 100% biased towards the V-drive, grew up in flats and have owned and still own a flat since I was 25:

Handling: docking and marina would go to out drive, at speed I love the V-drive.
Fuel efficiency: How do you drive it... i would think the two are similar, neither drive needs to rpm like crazy to get moving.
Noise: use a split case Casale and enjoy the V-drive wine, my Champion box is very quiet. Not sure you would have much difference in drive noise.
Low speed handling: out drive all the way, but who wants to go slow
Maintenance: Change oil on every few years in my flat bottom, had same box since 95' never had an issue, I know my brother broke the outdrive several times with a small block...
Tracking: More than the drive here, with a V-drive, you have strut angle location etc.
Power efficiency thru a transmission: You can gear up in the box but need to have power, assuming same issue with out drive but i think you have more options there.
Appearance: Biased opinion here but I love looking at the back of a nicely rigged vdrive, nothing prettier.

Thanks Spectra 20, very helpful information. Much appreciated.
B

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
I think it kind of depends on what kind of boating you like to do, if you wanna pull up on the beach with the family and not a lot of hassle you want an out drive.

If you’re a guy that likes to tinker and wants to do performance upgrades doesn’t mind anchoring and tying off then you would probably enjoy the V Drive.

Bobo57

Reaction score
I think it kind of depends on what kind of boating you like to do, if you wanna pull up on the beach with the family and not a lot of hassle you want an out drive.

If you’re a guy that likes to tinker and wants to do performance upgrades doesn’t mind anchoring and tying off then you would probably enjoy the V Drive.

I like convenience but could adapt. Wouldn’t mind anchoring off the shore a bit deeper to keep things away from the bottom. If I’m gonna get a nice ride I’d like to keep it nice and in good shape. No problem not beaching.

as for the type of boating, a bit of skiing, a bit of cruising up and down the lake enjoying the wind in the hair. Also very now and then would like to get on it and enjoy seeing what it can do. But nothing crazy. Probably make a trip to Powell every other year.
B

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
I forgot to mention, a friend bought my brothers Howard and converted it to a vdrive, the way it should have been built. I also really like the prop under the boat.

farmo83

Reaction score
First off let me say I love v drives. It's what I grew up with and if I ever win the little I'll build one brand new with stupid power.

That having been said an out drive is really more practical. The two areas a v drive wins are the ability to take abuse and ease of maintaining(although this is minimal). Also there are guys running 800+ through bravo based drives so you really need a lot of power to justify a v drive. In all other areas the outdrive wins, it's just newer technology.

To put it in perspective a family friend has a 24 foot 1000hp spectra v drive and I have a 21 foot 500hp schiada with a bravo and they will run within 2 mph.

outboard_256

Reaction score
if you have family swimming around the boat or skiing I prefer vdrive and jets for the safety aspect. The I/O prop just scares me with people around. Even if you trim it up.

jeepdog

Lucky jeepdog
Reaction score
OD1 said it best...v-drives are a cool 2nd boat...somthing like that