WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Value of boat with BBC vs. BBO vs. BBF?

Nikwho

Reaction score
Hello guys,
I'm curious what you all consider the difference in value between otherwise same/similar boats, with the only difference being what they're powered by. I would imagine that MOST would consider a BBC the most desireable, with Fords being sought after by fewer folks. I know that the BBF has great potential, and lots of really fast boats powered by them. My experience shows BBF engines being a little one expensive to build, all things being equal. The Olds 455 is the black sheep of the three power plants, even though they can run well, etc. Im sure that there are folks that truly prefer an Olds, but I imagine most are just trying to be positive about what mill is in their boat.

So, all things being equal, what is the general value difference of a turn key boat powered by each of these three power plants? Obviously there are other engine options out there. I even owned a boat with an Olds 350! But, small blocks, rare/boutique stuff and LS engines aside, difference in value? Set number, percentage of boat value?

Nik

King295

Well-Known Inmate #20225
Reaction score
Jets in the $3-$15K range its probably a $2-$3K swing from a stock Olds to a stock Chevy/Ford power plant. Its rare you see a $15K+ jet with an Olds.

Nikwho

Reaction score
Jets in the $3-$15K range its probably a $2-$3K swing from a stock Olds to a stock Chevy/Ford power plant. Its rare you see a $15K+ jet with an Olds.
Thank you for your response! That is pretty much what I was thinking. I have a strong running '74 Tahiti with a 455 Olds and Berkeley pump. Its a 62MPH boat, full of fuel, ice chest, tools, nothing special. There is no reason to replace the Olds, other than preferring a Chevrolet power plant. I have a 468 BBC engine sitting in my garage. Machined, but not yet assembled. Still need to buy my rods and have my rotating assembly balanced. All other machine work has been done. Cross splayed 4 bolt main billet caps, align honed, forged crank, forged pistons (-27.1cc) and 049 heads. Block was machined for automotive use, so it would have to go back to machine shop and have the clearances opened up a touch for boat use.
I have an old hot rod pickup that I can use the engine in, if I don't build it for the boat. No extra machining required. BUT, that truck has a freshly built 383 SBC that im entirely happy with, too.

Ultimately, I'm just not sure if I really want to build a new engine for the boat. Its just a family river cruiser. Trying to gauge whether I want to build a new boat engine, or not.

guest hs

Reaction score
Don’t forget about the AMC 360 Marine package. This little engine in an 18 ft jet runs really good believe it or not. I would rather have it then the 455 Olds

Nikwho

Reaction score
Don’t forget about the AMC 360 Marine package. This little engine in an 18 ft jet runs really good believe it or not. I would rather have it then the 455 Olds

I've been surprisingly satisfied with the 455 Olds in my Tahiti. I'm pressing on with my 496 build. I'll just take my time building it, and collect the parts needed for the swap.
If I grenade that Olds, I'll be ready.

I had an old '69 Tahiti with a 350 Olds. That boat wouldn't go over 45-50 MPH, but was still fun to run around in.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Hello guys,
I'm curious what you all consider the difference in value between otherwise same/similar boats, with the only difference being what they're powered by. I would imagine that MOST would consider a BBC the most desireable, with Fords being sought after by fewer folks. I know that the BBF has great potential, and lots of really fast boats powered by them. My experience shows BBF engines being a little one expensive to build, all things being equal. The Olds 455 is the black sheep of the three power plants, even though they can run well, etc. Im sure that there are folks that truly prefer an Olds, but I imagine most are just trying to be positive about what mill is in their boat.

So, all things being equal, what is the general value difference of a turn key boat powered by each of these three power plants? Obviously there are other engine options out there. I even owned a boat with an Olds 350! But, small blocks, rare/boutique stuff and LS engines aside, difference in value? Set number, percentage of boat value?

Nik

I think if you look from a parts and accessories standpoint, its probably Chevy first, then Ford. Olds being a distant third now that they are defunct and parts are harder to find.

We have friends in NWSRA jet class who all used Fords in their jets, they always ran well. I think every platform has their strengths and weaknesses when it comes to cylinder cooling, or head bolt design or oil galleries, etc.