WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Van Halen or Van Hagar

GRADS2009

Banned
Reaction score
I can't decide but this is a great video!

[video=youtube;Bwi8m4SIejE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bwi8m4SIejE[/video]

Last edited:

GRADS2009

Banned
Reaction score
Shit, I changed my mind.
[video=youtube;73sKNUa4M-E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73sKNUa4M-E[/video]

RiverOtter

Got Any Pics
Reaction score
I still give the edge to Van Halen but I really enjoyed Sammy's contribution. I was very disappointed with the very brief Gary Cherone era. I don't know that it was his fault. The songs sucked in general with I guess was Eddie's fault. The guy has an awesome voice.

skipperw10

Pain in the ass
Reaction score
Dave for sure....Eddie really screwed this band up over the years. The induction into the RR hall of fame without Michael Anthony made me loose all respect for Eddie. Low class

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Don't hold me to the number but I think it was about 14 million albums sold with David Lee Roth fronting,, and about 42 million albums sold with Sammy at the mike.

Sammy still does two show a year with Michael* Anthony at the Hard Rock Vegas. Sings ALL the Van Halen hits, including the Roth tunes and Sammy mentions "Roth doesn't have the lungs to sing my [Hagars] tunes."
Tickets are usually about $40.

Last edited:

NdaWind

Reaction score
One of my top 5 music vids (Dreams) of all time. whenever I hear the song I can see the vid in my mind. Its a real treat when out at Ocotillo to go over to Superstition and watch them practice.

HocusPocus

Stihl Outdoor Power Equip
Reaction score
I like Sammy a lot, seen him years ago when he was on his own way before he went to work for Van Halen. I have gotten to see 3 versions of Van Halen and although the show I saw with Dave way back when wasn't that good, I still gotta go with the original lineup.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Diamond Dave may be a difficult frontman or even an out and out retard, but when VH was fronted by him, that was the real deal.

Hagar can't drive 55.......

I realize the band was more popular with Sammy, but it was more of a top 40 pop sound.

Once they added keyboards......it just wasn't they same.

icecreaman

Reaction score
Don't hold me to the number but I think it was about 14 million albums sold with David Lee Roth fronting,, and about 42 million albums sold with Sammy at the mike.

Sammy still does two show a year with Mark Anthony at the Hard Rock Vegas. Sings ALL the Van Halen hits, including the Roth tunes and Sammy mentions Roth doesn't have the lungs to sing my [Hagars] tunes.
Tickets are usually about $40.

Now that would be an intresting show, talk about a contrast in styles! Hey, as long as Mark Anthony brings his wife they could probable pull it off! Maybe Sammy with player her ass like a set of bongo's. That would be some show.:party2: :D

ace one

Reaction score
Growing up with both the original Van Halen and Van Hagar was great! I listen to a early rock station and I still enjoy whatever they had to offer through the years..........Will always beat the hell out of some of the latest so called rock or rap tunes.:drnkfr

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
^^^. Im with that guy.

I like them both. Got all their songs on my ipod. Guess Im just greedy. :D

linus3

Reaction score
Sammy........Just a cool dude.....:thumbsup

Essexive G's

Reaction score
Halen for me, just because that was the original. Kinda like when Chick Hearn died. I quit watching the Laker's because it wasn't brought to me in the same format that I was introduced to the product with. Same with VH.
Sammy brought his own style, and it wasn't bad, just not what I was introduced to as Van Halen.

If you like Sammy, and are a fan of Micheal Anthony, who by the way is a bad ass bass player, check out the band Chickenfoot.

Hagar as lead singer, Anthony on Bass, Satriani on lead, and the drummer from RHCP. Good stuff.

Oh by the way, only available @ Best Buy.

Froggystyle

Reaction score
DSammy still does two show a year with Mark Anthony at the Hard Rock Vegas.

Any relation to Michael Anthony? ;)

I was just too young to see VH in the original iteration when I was growing up, but I saw Sammy at the front a bunch of times, and they were among the greatest of the hundreds of concerts I have seen, ever. Sammy is an awesome lead vocalist, the addition of another guitar adds a depth to the sound that you can't get with overdubs and chorus effects alone, and as Ross said, Sammy can sing anything, and Dave just doesn't have the pipes for Dreams or otherwise, or has too large an ego to sing them... though they were certainly among the best songs they as a band ever did... Most notably being "Judgment Day" which I put at or near the top of any rock song Parthenon ever. Absolutely epic, with all of the elements... and even better live.

Saw Dave sing a couple of years back when they did the tour in I think 2007. It was awesome, but Wolfgang has the stage presence of tapioca pudding, and Dave was a caricature of what he thought people came to see. He still sounded great, but there was zero chemistry, and it was apparent.

From what I understand, Sammy and Michael put on a hell of a show, though in many ways, I think that it would be a lot more powerful if they would just stick to the new stuff themselves, or run with the Chickenfoot thing (Which is awesome BTW...) and not ride on Eddie's work. If I was EVH, that would probably piss me off.

Last edited:

Dave Wettlaufer

Reaction score
Diamond Dave may be a difficult frontman or even an out and out retard, but when VH was fronted by him, that was the real deal.

I realize the band was more popular with Sammy, but it was more of a top 40 pop sound.

They added the keyboards defore they gave dipshit dave the boot...

WTMFA

Kill Em All
Reaction score
I used to drive around in my dads 79 olds with my VH 1 playing in the 8 track:cool:
I do like V Hagar, montrose, and sammys early solo work but something about early VH with it's raw gritty sound and eddie's revolutionary style just blows my skirt up:party2:

GRADS2009

Banned
Reaction score
Here's a picture of Sammy with a couple of my friends. To say that they are Sammy fans is a huge understatement. He gets mistaken for Sammy every place he goes.

Attachments

• 61326_1541285565818_1045290546_1615439_3517901_n.jpg
    61326_1541285565818_1045290546_1615439_3517901_n.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 304

kgt

Reaction score
holy chit thats crazy…took me a minute..lol..

for me…growing up with dave…then sammy…i like each for their own talents…good stuff..

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
holy chit thats crazy…took me a minute..lol..

for me…growing up with dave…then sammy…i like each for their own talents…good stuff..

Grew up with Dave also. I felt betrayed when Sammy took over. Never have gotten over it, lol. I wore 1984 out in my Walkman walking back and fourth to school in 8th grade. One of my favorite albums of all time.

Sent from my DROID PRO using Tapatalk

carteaco

Reaction score
They are both great. Been a huge Hagar fan since Montrose. Been a huge Van Halen fan from the start. Don't even know who that third frontman was.

Duffster

Reaction score
Sean Hagar in Cabo live great live performance and show.

MoVal Tim

Reaction score

If that's the case, label me a top 40 lover. Gotta go with Sammy! Originals can sometimes improve. That's the goal, isn't it. :thumbsup

Personality-wise, I thought Dave was too full of himself anyway.

Back in the day I liked Journey with Greg Rollie. When Steve Perry came along, he was a little mellow-er, but his voice blew the doors off Rollie! :cool:

SHOCKtheMONKEY

Reaction score
Like both, prefer Sammy

One of the best ROCK albums in a while :thumbsup

Twice as good live :bowdown:

Attachments

• Chickenfoot.jpg
    Chickenfoot.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 215

bonesfab

Reaction score
I have actually met and hung with Eddie a few times.. Really cool down to earth person from what I have seen.. My girlfriend gits all giddey everytime we have to go down there.. Some of the stories he has told..:D I personally like it all...

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
What a tough question...

I used to watch Van Halen play at backyard parties, before anyone heard of em. Saw em play at the Pasadena civic center one time in a battle of the bands! They were the worst band there at the time!! :rotflmao:

David is a dick, but he is a great performer. Sammy is cool AND a great performer!

I'd say overall, I like the original band the best.

GRADS2009

Banned
Reaction score
Any questions?
[video=youtube;OYOMzGruWWo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYOMzGruWWo[/video]

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
I hate Sammy, but I grew up with David. I never liked Sammy.

Ultra26 # 1

2007 Ultra 26 Shadow
Reaction score
Sammy and David were both great. I preferred the band with David.

Slow What

Reaction score
i like them both....but Van Halen rocked a little harder with Diamond Dave

GRADS2009

Banned
Reaction score
I love Van Halen with Diamond Dave but Hagar was really sweet and two different types of music.

Reaction score
Both David and Sammy put on really entertaining shows. But lately, Kid Rock seems to be filling the house:thumbsup

NoDoz

Reaction score
I grew up listening to Van Halen...but Van Hagar baby, good times when I was listening to sammy :thumbsup :thumbsup

C-2

Reaction score
WTF?????? :swear:swear:swear

[video=youtube;B4V53F7UGA4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4V53F7UGA4&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4V53F7UGA4&feature=related[/video]

C-2

Reaction score
Much better..... :boobeyes:

[video=youtube;f-C7IP_XFug]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-C7IP_XFug&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-C7IP_XFug&feature=related[/video]

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
This kinda sums it up. Dave was a premier front man, but beyond sloppy live. His voice then was limited and now is completely shot. Sammy continues to grow and sounds good even now in his 60's. But Dave always knew how to work a crowd and tell a story.
[video=youtube;8GR09YjoC7c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GR09YjoC7c[/video]

Skee

Unknown Member
Reaction score
Bottom line was I got laid more to Van Hagar than I did Van Halen.

Thats cuz you were like 15 with Van Halen and just a wee bit older with Van Hagar:p :D ... Anyway...I've seen 'em both Van Halen is Van Halen and what you guy's call Van Hagar was still Van Halen...the name was based off of Eddie and Alex,not takin' anything away from Sammy....but it was what it was....I like it all..Sammy was Great with Montrose,but Van Halen was not what it was without Diamond Dave.......Bottom line,I like 'em both,just in different ways....:D :thumbsup

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I like them both, but it is almost they are 2 different bands as they made big changes to the "Sound" of their music when Sammy became the front man (not as hard rock...which is why David and the band split after "1984"). Obviously Sammy can carry a band on his own and Diamond Dave hasn't had much success since Van Halen. I think their albums were more popular with Sammy. If I was a teenager again, I would definitely pick Van Halen, but as an adult I would pick Van Hagar.

NuckinFutz

Reaction score
Van Halen with Sammy for me, and Chickenfoot is superb as well. The short stint with Gary wasn't worth buying.

Tremor Therapy

Reaction score
Good question, it all depends on what you like to listen too. I prefer the original line up. They had an edge to them, played hard, and they just flat out rocked.

Sammy brought Van Halen into the light of "pop" music, and although Eddie still brought his chops to the game, it became much more commercialized and "poppy" in my opinion.

Van Halen 1 is still my favorite album of all time. When you start an album with Running with the Devil, Eruption and You Really Got Me.....what Van Hagar album has that kind of balls?