WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Van Halen or Van Hagar

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
It's a moot question.
There is only one "Van Halen".

The band was formed by Edward and Alex. Roth failed his audition, but was hired anyway because he had all the sound equipment, and they didn't want to rent it from him.

Anyone who bought their first album when it was released knows what I am talking about.
From that first cord it was "on".
Don't get me wrong, I am a Hagar fan, always have been. But there is no "Van Hagar"equal to hearing Van Halen for the very first time, on their very first release, way back then in the HS parking lot.
THAT was Van Halen.

We already knew who Edward was, we had heard him play on bootlegs.
(We all thought we were going to be rock stars in HS, and we kept up on the rising guitar players)

C-2

Reaction score
But there is no "Van Hagar"equal to hearing Van Halen for the very first time, on their very first release, way back then in the HS parking lot.
THAT was Van Halen.

)

X2, only one VH.

When we had our 1970 Ford Station Wagon packed with chicks, friends, Boones Farm and beer...and the opening riff on "Dance the Night Away" ripped across the Pioneer Supertuner and Jensen's (alright, they were Kraco's, lol)....you just knew it was going to be a great night.

Damn, those were some great times.

WTF happened to music like that?

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
X2, only one VH.

When we had our 1970 Ford Station Wagon packed with chicks, friends, Boones Farm and beer...and the opening riff on "Dance the Night Away" ripped across the Pioneer Supertuner and Jensen's (alright, they were Kraco's, lol)....you just knew it was going to be a great night.

Damn, those were some great times.

Awesome! We had my Mom's 73' Chevy wagon. The ugliest green paint you ever saw. The obligatory SupertunerIII, WITH a pioneer 50W amp and the Jensens.

WTF happened to music like that?

I don't know.
Times change, I realize, but when I hear these kids today "bumpin" in their tuner honda to DJ Jazzy whatever, it's like "really"?
Poor bastards missed the greatest time to be in HS.

Smoking area outside the Main entrance, a bong in every car, Zepplin, Sabbath, Halen, and BTO rocking the parking lot. Z28's, Chevelles, MachI Mustangs, 340 cudas'.....
God Bless the 70's!!!!

slowride

Reaction score
Was always a Hagar fan and couldn't handle Dave's screaming. Saw Sammy when he opened for (gasp) Boston on his Red Rocker tour. Sammy killed and Boston sucked.
Saw VH a couple years ago with Dave. Sucked ass.....

C-2

Reaction score
WITH a pioneer 50W amp

Oh, going all rich kid on me now :swear

Speaking of Sammy, my best rock n roll weekend ever (besides the US festivals) was Friday with Sammy and Nightranger at the Pavillion; followed by Billy Squier and Def Leppard at Irvine Meadows. Except for the rain part, and their rain or shine policy :thumbsup

Seriously, comparing VH to Van Hagar is like....liking the new Sublime with Rome. Aint' happening, ain't ever gonna happen.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Oh, going all rich kid on me now :swear

Speaking of Sammy, my best rock n roll weekend ever (besides the US festivals) was Friday with Sammy and Nightranger at the Pavillion; followed by Billy Squier and Def Leppard at Irvine Meadows. Except for the rain part, and their rain or shine policy :thumbsup

Seriously, comparing VH to Van Hagar is like....liking the new Sublime with Rome. Aint' happening, ain't ever gonna happen.

I was at all 3 days of the US in 83'.
375,000 people on Sunday alone!

My buddy won a trip to it on the radio station in Anchorage and me and another guy flipped a coin to see who would go with him.

I won.
Shuttle from the hotel to the front gate all 3 days, hotel and airfare, I have a scrap book with hundreds of pics from that weekend!

C-2

Reaction score
I was at all 3 days of the US in 83'.
375,000 people on Sunday alone!

My buddy won a trip to it on the radio station in Anchorage and me and another guy flipped a coin to see who would go with him.

I won.
Shuttle from the hotel to the front gate all 3 days, hotel and airfare, I have a scrap book with hundreds of pics from that weekend!

You scored, man, those were some great concerts. I missed the Cal Jams...was a few years shy of being able to go.

For the 83 US I went with a group of people who had spied out a 4X4 route over the hills thru Lytle Creek and down into the US festival from the Northside. Half hour in, half hour out. :champagne:

I got into the pit during Quiet Riot and had heatstroke, so I bailed and then got lost from my group. Hours later I was walking around and saw some people lining up, waiting for VH to come out...and then Wozniak came along and was chatting with everybody, shaking hands and hanging out. Saw my first set of live titties that day :thumbsup:thumbsup

dread Pirate

Reaction score
All I can say is I like Dave and my MOM likes Sammy,,,,,

just another reason why I went punk!

By the way, Hagar put out 2 albums before joining VH. Can you name 3 songs besides "I can't drive 55" ? No internet cheating. Just name another song. :D He was a 1 hit wonder before VH.. Just sayin,,,;)

GRADS2009

Banned
Reaction score
By the way, Hagar put out 2 albums before joining VH. Can you name 3 songs besides "I can't drive 55" ? No internet cheating. Just name another song. :D He was a 1 hit wonder before VH.. Just sayin,,,;)

Put the crackpipe down. What about a band called Montrose?:hmm

dread Pirate

Reaction score
Put the crackpipe down. What about a band called Montrose?:hmm

Heard of em, but never listened to em. I'll give em an open minded try though.

Can you name another song off Hagar's albums though? I have had a lot of fun with this trivia question through the years. I have only had one person, who didn't cheat, be able to give an answer.

dread Pirate

Reaction score
I take that back. I heard that album and wish I could have forgotten it. Rock Candy? Seriously? Seems Montrose did better without him...:cool:

let's face it, Hot for Teacher or Summer Nights? Hagar made music for old ladies.

Last edited:

HighRoller

Mr. All or Nothing
Reaction score
All I can say is I like Dave and my MOM likes Sammy,,,,,

just another reason why I went punk!

Rock Candy...Three Lock Box...Fall in Love Again...

You just can't compare Sam and Dave. Apples and Oranges. I think the best SONGS came with Roth. The best ALBUMS came with Sammy. I like DLR, have several of his Solo albums as well as most of Van Halen's stuff. But he isn't even in the same galaxy as Sammy musically.

The thing that impresses me about Sammy is his dedication, professionalism and philosophy towards fans. You know when you see him you're gonna get your money's worth. I saw him at a little show at the Puyallup Fair last month - 6,000 fans - and you might have expected it to be a half assed performance at a little podunk arena with folding chairs.

He rocked his ass off. Played all the good stuff, hit all the notes...enthusiastic as hell. Even my wife was blown away. "He sounds just like the album!! How old is he again?" Dude is 4 years younger than my DAD...and still kills it every night. Even Mick Jagger started to go south in his 50's...not Sammy.

Cabo B-Day bash is now on the bucket list...

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I will say this: I'll gladly drink Sammy's tequila while listening to Van Halen!!

dread Pirate

Reaction score
Rock Candy...Three Lock Box...Fall in Love Again...

You just can't compare Sam and Dave. Apples and Oranges. I think the best SONGS came with Roth. The best ALBUMS came with Sammy. I like DLR, have several of his Solo albums as well as most of Van Halen's stuff. But he isn't even in the same galaxy as Sammy musically.

The thing that impresses me about Sammy is his dedication, professionalism and philosophy towards fans. You know when you see him you're gonna get your money's worth. I saw him at a little show at the Puyallup Fair last month - 6,000 fans - and you might have expected it to be a half assed performance at a little podunk arena with folding chairs.

He rocked his ass off. Played all the good stuff, hit all the notes...enthusiastic as hell. Even my wife was blown away. "He sounds just like the album!! How old is he again?" Dude is 4 years younger than my DAD...and still kills it every night. Even Mick Jagger started to go south in his 50's...not Sammy.

Cabo B-Day bash is now on the bucket list...

Well done!! :thumbsup:thumbsup:champagne::thumbsup:thumbsup

I also believe you said it well. As a band they were produced better and sold out many many more venues than with Roth. I'm sure Sammy never showed up for a show wasted and struggling to get through the night as we all know Roth did. Doesn't mean I like em better though!

Sammy still sells out shows, Roth can occasionally be seen in a lounge in Vegas,,,, I'd go see Roth.:D

cakemoto

Reaction score
it all about the Atomic punks..........
my mom is a huge Sammy fan and has met him few times.

Old Man Havasu

Reaction score
Well done!! :thumbsup:thumbsup:champagne::thumbsup:thumbsup

I also believe you said it well. As a band they were produced better and sold out many many more venues than with Roth. I'm sure Sammy never showed up for a show wasted and struggling to get through the night as we all know Roth did. Doesn't mean I like em better though!

Sammy still sells out shows, Roth can occasionally be seen in a lounge in Vegas,,,, I'd go see Roth.:D

Sammy!:thumbsup

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
Watched an interview with Sammy tonight....still going with Van Hagar. Reason being Sammy can sing Dave songs, Dave can't sing Sammy songs.

GRADS

Reaction score
Still can barely decide but I'm going to go with Hagar. On a side note, Sammy's son Aaron lives in Tahoe and have hungout with him many times. 👍

IMG_0935.jpeg

Last edited:

SFV2RVR

Registered Parker Legend
Reaction score
Van Hagar blows! Van Halen all day [emoji869]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Wow!
Old thread revival!

I prefer the raw sound of early VH but appreciate the later stuff too.
Dave’s antics were always great.
Sammy is a class act.
Saw them on the 5150 tour, was awesome.

welldigger00

Reaction score
I’m a Dave guy through and through. However, right here right now, is an awesome tune. I think Sammy has way more ability than Dave, especially nowadays, however, my Dave loyalty is nostalgic based from growing up with that specific Van Halen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Van Halen. I can’t even listen to Sammy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bonesfab

Reaction score
The stories I have heard from Eddie and Alex about Dave are epic. Dave is the reason Van Halen hasn't done much in the recent past. Besides Eddies health issues. Van Halen all the way. And I was just down at Eddies the other day and he is doing better..

BONER

Reaction score
DLR for sure. Sammy neudered the Band if you ask me, but made em rich.

adam909

Reaction score
The stories I have heard from Eddie and Alex about Dave are epic. Dave is the reason Van Halen hasn't done much in the recent past. Besides Eddies health issues. Van Halen all the way. And I was just down at Eddies the other day and he is doing better..
tell eddie to get off his high horse and play for the fans!!!!! We all know he dosent need the money.. But the fans want to see Van Halen. Tell him to make amends with sammy... I would hate to see them go out like led Zeppelin.

bonesfab

Reaction score
tell eddie to get off his high horse and play for the fans!!!!! We all know he dosent need the money.. But the fans want to see Van Halen. Tell him to make amends with sammy... I would hate to see them go out like led Zeppelin.

I am sure he would love to. I will tell him next time I talk to him.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
My BIL went to high school with the OG Van Halen....they were the keg party band.

There is nothing that compares to Fair Warning, or VH1.

There will never be another Diamond Dave, if you ever were blessed to see him perform live before he burned out from hookers and blow, it was really something special.

OG Van Halen without a doubt.

Sammy was great in his own, and what he brought to the table, but it's Van Hagar, not Van Halen.

GRADS

Reaction score
VH, VHII, OU812 or 5150 is a tough call.

TrollerDave

Reaction score
2 different bands. Both are great. I think Sammy allowed the band to mature in a way they probably wouldn’t have with Dave.

Poor Gary Cherone 🙁

GRADS

Reaction score
Watching an Eddie Van Halen documentary tonight....I think I'm going to go with Van Hagar tonight.

VooDooChildZ28

Reaction score
Van Hagar - why can’t this be love
Van Halen - ain’t talkin bout love

nuff said