WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

VAPE pens

wzuber

Reaction score
Please enlighten me. Asking for friend........... (my dad) haha
My dads a recent widower and has been smoking cigs for 60 yrs. We are encouraging him to switch to vaping out of fire safety and health concerns. I don't smoke and know nothing about them so thought I'd check with the masses here for some insight on what to expect, what to look for, choose and why etc. TIA

jbird

Reaction score
Might be tough to get him to switch over to vaping. The old birds been smoking so long he’s probably gonna want to stick with what he is accustomed to.

I would try the JUUL if any. Ease of use and the Virginia Tobacco pod might be a flavor he could get use to.

bagged97taco

Reaction score
We got my wife’s grandma the easiest one to use.its a basic battery with juice cartridges. Took her to a cake shop and she tried multiple flavors and liked one and hasn’t changed flavors. She smoked for 50+ years and hasn’t had a cig in 4 years now.

Icky

Reaction score
Following, I've been waiting to try vaping again to help quit smoking. I've been looking the the Vuse and Juul do to their simplicity.

Spudsbud

Reaction score
1, read the nicotine content on the juice refill droids.
About 5 times as much nicotine as a cig! REALLY.
2, Altria (formerly Philip Morris) owns about 40% of "JUUL" market leader in "Vapes"
Time to buy altria stock ! Analysts expect 200+% growth this year. Its the wild west. Completely unregulated now.
My info comes froma Special on Vapes by the FDA, on CNBC earlier this week.
Twice as addicting. Twice as bad for you. Thats why its so easy to switch off cigs!
but no mandatory FDA warnings.. YET ! Especially when teens get ahold of them. Read the nicotine content posted on the the side of the refills.
Stop drinking the kool aid !!!

MrsVP

Reaction score
My MIL smokes a vape instead of smoking, she started not long after my FIL passed away.

Honestly? She smokes that thing more than she did cigarettes. Drives me nuts as a non smoker, but it's her choice.

I do notice that she doesn't have that God awful smokers hack anymore (she probably smoked for 40 ish years, per my husband). She does now vape in the house and the car, including mine *eye roll*. But, unless the thing blows up, she won't burn the house down so that's a plus!

BONER

Reaction score
That is my guess as well. Using organic solvents to extract compounds then vaporizing said compounds can not be good for your health.

Let's be real. Body wasn't meant to inhale anything except Oxygen. So to sit there and think that vaping is any different than smoking, well just doesn't make much sense to me. Smells better. But that's about it.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I’ve smoked for a long time.
A few years back, after Deb was diagnosed, we stopped smoking and bought disposable vapes.
I switched to Greensmart rechargeable and flavored cartridges.
They have a few different levels of nicotine in each flavor.
I did that for 2 years.
Those were far less harsh then some of the others like vuse, and those things still just wasted my throat.
I am back to cigs, but greatly reduced and am close to quitting outright.
I tried vaping again a few weeks ago, about 3 days is all it took for me to get a chronic cough going.

Vaping is NOT a better or safer alternative EXCEPT for the fact that they won’t burn the house down.

Vaping has a whole nuther list of health risks. They are not meant to help you stop smoking.
They are not primarily owned and sold by health companies, they are sold by tobacco companies as an alternative delivery system.
Market expansion 101.

They CAN be used as a tool to quit, but that’s up to the user to scale down with less use and less powerful loads...just like quitting cigs.

So in summary, if you have an elder that is at risk of starting a fire, then yes, they will accomplish preventing that. (Been there)

But health wise or quitting smoking they are of little help, and for me were actually worse than cigs.

Ouderkirk

Reaction score
OMHO, vaping vs cigarettes it's no contest.

The reality is that neither of them are good for you. Now we are down to the lesser of two evils. Cigarettes are proven to cause lung cancer. Vaping isn't proven cancer cause agent but the obvious is that there is an elevated risk. Nothing is without risks.

I smoked for a pack a day for 40 years. I switched to vaping 18 months ago and my lungs feel clearer. I can actually breathe again. That said, I understand that it is not without risk, but it damned sure feels better.

I control the nicotine levels, and I go up and down from 3mg/ml to 6mg/ml. I have tried to go to 0mg/ml but that is just a bridge too far for me for now. I may get there one day. I have quit smoking hundreds of times and always end up back on them. Since I went to vape.. I have not gone back to cigarettes.

Justfishing

Reaction score
Please enlighten me. Asking for friend........... (my dad) haha
My dads a recent widower and has been smoking cigs for 60 yrs. We are encouraging him to switch to vaping out of fire safety and health concerns. I don't smoke and know nothing about them so thought I'd check with the masses here for some insight on what to expect, what to look for, choose and why etc. TIA
Not trying to be mean but aftef 60 years either the damage is done or he is immune.

fmo24

Reaction score
My grandma smoked pall mall non filters. Her brother quit then died several months later. Her friend quit then died. She said fuck it and kept smoking. Died at 85 from an anorysm. May be more stress than worth unless your worried about fire

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Anyone else seeing vape ads on their phones now??

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
images

wzuber

Reaction score
Might be tough to get him to switch over to vaping. The old birds been smoking so long he’s probably gonna want to stick with what he is accustomed to.

I would try the JUUL if any. Ease of use and the Virginia Tobacco pod might be a flavor he could get use to.

Thx, I'll check those out. Are they only available at smoke type shops? What are the price ranges on the pens, refills etc.

wzuber

Reaction score
We got my wife’s grandma the easiest one to use.its a basic battery with juice cartridges. Took her to a cake shop and she tried multiple flavors and liked one and hasn’t changed flavors. She smoked for 50+ years and hasn’t had a cig in 4 years now.

Is cake shop code for something?

wzuber

Reaction score
2, Altria (formerly Philip Morris) owns about 40% of "JUUL" market leader in "Vapes"
Time to buy altria stock ! Analysts expect 200+% growth this year. Its the wild west. Completely unregulated now.
Twice as addicting. Twice as bad for you. Thats why its so easy to switch off cigs!
but no mandatory FDA warnings.. YET ! Especially when teens get ahold of them. Read the nicotine content posted on the the side of the refills.
great info. thx. our purpose is just for fire safety. Also don't need to put more nicotine into him. he coughs enough already.

wzuber

Reaction score
won't burn the house down so that's a plus!
this is what we're looking to prevent with this change. At this point I'm sure the bulk of the damage is done heath wise though he stills gets around pretty darn well. the best we can hope for is to extend the inevitable.

SPFRONTMAN

Reaction score
THANK YOU !

wzuber

Reaction score
So in summary, if you have an elder that is at risk of starting a fire, then yes, they will accomplish preventing that. (Been there)
yes this is the goal. I appreciate your other insightful comments as well. thx

SPFRONTMAN

Reaction score
Let's be real. Body wasn't meant to inhale anything except Oxygen. So to sit there and think that vaping is any different than smoking, well just doesn't make much sense to me. Smells better. But that's about it.
I believe it's a way of getting around to smoking anywhere because it's a Vap. Instead of going to a public designated smoking area with a cig.

Riley1

Reaction score
It would be to hard to respond individually to every comment I disagree with on this thread. So I’ll just make my point.
I smoked Reds for 16 years. I started “vaping” as a way to not smoke in my truck. I still smoked and had no intention of quitting. At some point fruit punch tasted better than reds.
I haven’t had a cigarette in almost 6 years. I haven’t had a Vape in almost 5.
It worked for me. So it’s worth a try. Do both for awhile. And don’t buy the cheap shit.

BONER

Reaction score
I believe it's a way of getting around to smoking anywhere because it's a Vap. Instead of going to a public designated smoking area with a cig.

So I would agree with you, a few years ago when Vaping started to get popular. But now, you can't Vape indoors in 99% of Businesses in Phoenix. And since you can't even buy a plastic straw in CA, I can only assume it's the same...

Essexive G's

Reaction score
Vaping as bad as cigarettes? As uninformed as most seem to be Ibet we can all agree that there are hundreds of ingredients in cigarettes that are harmful, including arsenic.

What many of you do not seem to know is that there are 3 ingredients in vape juice.
propylene glycol
Vegetable glycerin
Nicotine

Propylene glycol is used in fogging machines that are used mostly for Halloween. Hospitals used to add propylene glycol in the ventilation systems to reduce airborne germs.

Vegetable glycerin is a food additive that is used in the foods we eat.

Nicotine is a stimulant listed in the same category as caffeine.

The tobacco industry is directly responsible for the negative stigma associated with vaping. When vaping became a thing and people starting saying it was helping with smoking cessation, the tobacco companies starting the negative campaign as it was cutting in to sales. Now that they have their foot in the industry there is no need for the negative campaign. Now they are going after all of the mom and pop shops that started the industry by have regulations passed that pretty much make it unaffordable for the mom and pops to exist.

There is so much misinformation that people cling on to what they want to believe. It doesn’t matter if we are talking about vape juice, motor oil, or mattresses. Myself included.

A “full flavored” cigarette used as a nicotine delivery system delivers 18 - 24 mg. of nicotine per cigarette. Vape juice is available from 24 mg. Down to 0 mg.

Even if someone were to vape 24 mg. juice they would not feel the full effect of the 24 mg. as if they had smoked a cigarette. The tobacco industry has the delivery system down to a perfect science. When the tobacco is burnt the molecular breakdown is in a much smaller form than the droplets from vaping. The vaping droplets are much larger when inhaled in to the lungs and is unable to reach the smallest of capillaries in the lungs. Because of this vaping is inefficient to the cigarette delivery system which reaches the smallest capillaries and since there is tar involved the tar sticks to the lung. There is nothing that remains from vaping. It is either exhaled, or absorbed.

This is why you do not see people that vape with smokers cough. Smokers are trying to hack up the tar.

There are people that vape that do cough, but it is generally a throat cough because of the propylene glycol irritates some people’s throats. Those that it does happen to should get a juice with a lower PG ratio.

Sorry for the long winded post, but the misinformation bugs me when I’ve seen it help a couple of dozen people quit smoking.

Last edited:

Ouderkirk

Reaction score
Anyone else seeing vape ads on their phones now??

Theis is where the iPhone excells. I don't get ads on my iPhone...ever

The Adnroid O/S EULA says you have to accept the tracking and ads.

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
Only been a couple months, but the evidence is coming out with deaths across the country.

Heard one story of a teenager's autopsy showing he had the lungs of elderly man. This shit is bad news

nameisbond

Reaction score
Only been a couple months, but the evidence is coming out with deaths across the country.

Heard one story of a teenager's autopsy showing he had the lungs of elderly man. This shit is bad news

I'll have to find an article to support my claim. But I've read most of the illness and deaths vape related have been from black market products containing THC.

HBCraig

Reaction score
Very bad

My sister in law is a trauma nurse and sees times of teenagers that are getting lung disease

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score
I'm an EMT and just got back from an EMS seminar where we discussed vaping.

One of the big issues is people vaping TCH to get high. They use CBD oil that is vaporized but once in the lungs, it turns back into oil which can block the alveoli from getting oxygen. There is no natural way for the oil to dissipate so eventually it will coat your whole lung and then you die. :(

sirbob

Reaction score
Juul CEO just stepped down and the old Philip Morris (now Altria) just back out of a $12.8 BILLION dollar investment in Juul because fo the adverse news and reports coming our about vaping.

nameisbond

Reaction score

One of the big issues is people vaping TCH to get high. They use CBD oil that is vaporized but once in the lungs, it turns back into oil which can block the alveoli from getting oxygen. There is no natural way for the oil to dissipate so eventually it will coat your whole lung and then you die. :(

That's what I read somewhere. The problems are not regular vape related. But its also not good to put anything in the lungs, not designed for it. Regular cigarettes included.

Warlock1

Reaction score

Can you provide the source of this info please. I have several friends that vape THC and I need to vet this info out before I start harassing them.

Warlock1

Reaction score
Vaping as bad as cigarettes? As uninformed as most seem to be a bet we all agree that there are hundreds of ingredients in cigarettes that are harmful, including arsenic.

What many of you do not seem to know is that there are 3 ingredients in vape juice.
propylene glycol
Vegetable glycerin
Nicotine

Propylene glycol is used in fogging machines that are used mostly for Halloween. Hospitals used to add propylene glycol in the ventilation systems to reduce airborne germs.

Vegetable glycerin is a food additive that is used in the foods we eat.

Nicotine is a stimulant listed in the same category as caffeine.

The tobacco industry is directly responsible for the negative stigma associated with vaping. When vaping became a thing and people starting saying it was helping with smoking cessation, the tobacco companies starting the negative campaign as it was cutting in to sales. Now that they have their foot in the industry there is no need for the negative campaign. Now they are going after all of the mom and pop shops that started the industry by have regulations passed that pretty much make it unaffordable for the mom and pops to exist.

There is so much misinformation that people cling on to what they want to believe. It doesn’t matter if we are talking about vape juice, motor oil, or mattresses. Myself included.

A “full flavored” cigarette used as a nicotine delivery system delivers 18 - 24 mg. of nicotine per cigarette. Vape juice is available from 24 mg. Down to 0 mg.

Even if someone were to vape 24 mg. juice they would not feel the full effect of the 24 mg. as if they had smoked a cigarette. The tobacco industry has the delivery system down to a perfect science. When the tobacco is burnt the molecular breakdown is in a much smaller form than the droplets from vaping. The vaping droplets are much larger when inhaled in to the lungs and is unable to reach the smallest of capillaries in the lungs. Because of this vaping is inefficient to the cigarette delivery system which reaches the smallest capillaries and since there is tar involved the tar sticks to the lung. There is nothing that remains from vaping. It is either exhaled, or absorbed.

This is why you do not see people that vape with smokers cough. Smokers are trying to hack up the tar.

There are people that vape that do cough, but it is generally a throat cough because of the propylene glycol irritates some people’s throats. Those that it does happen to should get a juice with a lower PG ratio.

Sorry for the long winded post, but the misinformation bugs me when I’ve seen it help a couple of dozen people quit smoking.

This is absolutely correct as I am a QA guy for a vape juice manufacturer. There needs to be way more neutral case studies to determine the real root cause before bunching everything into a bucket and condemning it as a whole. Not only do we test every ingredient we also test vaporization of said ingredients. And you can get different formulas of base mix (PG, VG) such as 50/50, 70/30, or just VG.

Essexive G's

Reaction score
Can you provide the source of this info please. I have several friends that vape THC and I need to vet this info out before I start harassing them.

What I read was that the CDC found a link with the black market THC pens that were adding vitamin E oil. I thought I also read that it had to do something with heating the vitamin E oil, because it is completely harmless when room temp.
I’m sure vaping any oil is going to be hard to get rid of once in the lung.

Essexive G's

Reaction score
This is absolutely correct as I am a QA guy for a vape juice manufacturer. There needs to be way more neutral case studies to determine the real root cause before bunching everything into a bucket and condemning it as a whole. Not only do we test every ingredient we also test vaporization of said ingredients. And you can get different formulas of base mix (PG, VG) such as 50/50, 70/30, or just VG.

What company? Is it available retail?

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
The buzz word today that is going to kill all the kids in the USA is vaping. When I was a kid, they outlawed Red Dye #5 because it was going to kill all the children in the USA. I had to grow up without red MM on Christmas morning. That ruined the childhood. Then they took apples away from us. Just about any consumable can be abused and cause death. The truth taught to kids about how to make good decisions in their life would pay more dividends then trying to pass laws to prevent stupidity.