WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Vehicle Issues Moving To AZon a

69 1/2

Reaction score
Moving to AZ in June next year, 2015 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (well modified) and 2018 Winnebago class C motorhome will come with us and are registered in Iowa with clear titles, maybe I will keep them plated in Iowa as I still own property there and visit frequently but by airplane. Might this be an issue? Will trade my company car on a Toyota Highlander just before we leave Iowa and intend on plating in AZ I presume 90 days-ish after we arrive?? What are the issues with leaving some vehicles plated back home? Any thoughts / experiences?

Slats

Reaction score
I live in Vegas and have stuff plated in az. I also travel across the states for work and never have any trouble.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
From what I have seen, none really. I would think legally speaking may be an issue. When I moved here two of my cars were out of state plates for six months or so. It may also depend on the area. My home is more rural, and the nearest town is about 10 miles away. If you're moving to a city, it may be best to find someone in that city or county.

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
Similar to CA, you have 15 days to change registration on ANY vehicles you operate in AZ to Arizona after becoming a resident. Big fine, and kind of a "prize" ticket for LE. The citing agency gets a big portion of the fine for this offense, so it's a popular charge.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
As Boatcop says, it is against the law to begin with so there is that.

AZ being a snowbird state people actually watch out for this kind of thing. Some people don't have enough to do and will drop a dime if they thing you are skirting the rules.

69 1/2

Reaction score
So is it more about where the car lives, or where I live? I quite likely will spend more days in Iowa vs Arizona each year. My wife quite possibly more than half her days in AZ. Company car owned and plated by an Illinois corporation with IL plates.

Confused and just want to do it correctly. Income tax will be whole other issue.

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
So is it more about where the car lives, or where I live? I quite likely will spend more days in Iowa vs Arizona each year. My wife quite possibly more than half her days in AZ. Company car owned and plated by an Illinois corporation with IL plates.

Confused and just want to do it correctly. Income tax will be whole other issue.

It's where YOU live, and declare yourself to be a "resident". They look at where you pay resident state income tax, registered to vote, drivers license, kids in school, in-state hunting/fishing licenses, professional licenses, do not declare residency in another state, etc. Contrary to popular belief, there is no such thing as "dual residency". You can only be a resident of one state, no matter how many places you own houses/property.

Now, you can have a vehicle registered in another state, but only if it NEVER comes into the state where you are a "resident".

hawgty55

Reaction score
It's definitely a good question to ask. I found out some registration information when we went back to Texas last week that everything has to be titled in Texas that you are insured on to even obtain a driver's license.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
What part of Az? No smog required in Havasu so no worries about the modified Jeep. Reg fees are kind of high in AZ for newer vehicles though.

69 1/2

Reaction score
This is going to get crazy. Evidently residence is where you reside more than half of the year. This being said wife is AZ resident and I am IA resident. We are both on the auto registrations/titles.

We’ll probably get fined by both states!

Then there is the company car issue, plated in yet another state.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
I would say if you truly spend more than 6 months of the year in Iowa, register those vehicles you drive in Iowa in your name. Do the same for the cars your wife drives in AZ. Then have documentation to back it up.

Make sure you don't run afoul of insurance requirements either. Years ago I discovered that a car I kept at the airport in Nevada needed to be registered and insured there for the insurance to apply. I had asked my agent if there was some sort of not-in-motion liability I could buy since the car sat unused at the airport 6 months out of the year.

ilmormark

Rest Easy Mark (ilmormark) (Smoke On The Water) 😢
Reaction score
Ya know i have cars and trucks registered all over the place and have never had an issue. Got stopped by Orange PD he went out of his way to stop me for expired registration i told him if he gave me a ticket i would register in AZ the next day he did and then i did drove straight to Bullhead DMV and registered it in AZ 7 years ago no issues. Wife has a MBZ and its registered in FL but when it got here i had anaheim hills put paper plates on it now the lease is up and its been 3 years with paper plates no issues. Just got the new f250 and it has CA plates once registration ends im going to register it in NV AZ is starting to charge what California is lately and now that AZ charges so much for boat registration im not gonna register my boat anymore my last boat i didnt ever register it for 13 years never an issue IM not trying to get around the system these states need to be fair when the cost is involved if not i will go to the states that are

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
here's the deal....there are res. and non res. plates in AZ... if you work in az and have a house there...you have to get a az lic…
if you don't work there you don't...you have to pic one for a res, like said you can't have two..the best thing is to not have plates different than your dr. lic, that's when the questions start,,,if you have iowa license and tell the cop that you were speeding because you were late for work,..you will be latter for work and also a fine to go with it..so… what you say will determine