WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Vehicle TPMS

Joker

Reaction score
I’ve got 2 vehicles now with the lights on since i replaced the stock setup with upgraded oem wheels. All wheels have sensors but nobody I’ve talked to can figure out how to program them to the vehicle. It seems stupid that i should have to pull the sensors from the original setup and have them transferred over.
Thoughts?

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Speed Cars have tire pressure monitors?? Very cool! 👍🏼

And yes, the OG sensors need to be installed on the new wheels.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
I’ve got 2 vehicles now with the lights on since i replaced the stock setup with upgraded oem wheels. All wheels have sensors but nobody I’ve talked to can figure out how to program them to the vehicle. It seems stupid that i should have to pull the sensors from the original setup and have them transferred over.
Thoughts?
I'm no expert but had to buy new sensors a couple of years ago, and my Tundra had no problem learning the new after market sensors, shouldn't be a problem with the right help.

Last edited:

Joker

Reaction score
Speed Cars have tire pressure monitors?? Very cool! 👍🏼

And yes, the OG sensors need to be installed on the new wheels.
I had new sensors put on the stock Toyota oem wheels and it won’t learn them. I still have the stock gmc ones i can transfer but the Toyota ones are gone.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
If you or someone you know has a TPMS relearn tool you can just reprogram the car for the new sensors.

I have winter wheels and summer wheels and after swapping twice a year I do the relearn just to get the TPMS happy.

Check Amazon, they are pretty cheap to buy, but be aware they could be vehicle specific, or the vehicle needs some kind of other tool to get it into the relearn mode (some vehicles need a OBD tool to put the car into that mode).

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I had new sensors put on the stock Toyota oem wheels and it won’t learn them. I still have the stock gmc ones i can transfer but the Toyota ones are gone.

GM has a Crazy azz learning program for wheel sensors. It's stupid. But it works.

It's been a LONG time since I worked for Toyota. I can't remember how that shit works.

This guy might though...

@RVRKID

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Something else to consider is the frequency at which the TPMS sensors communicate with the vehicle. I would think most sensors are dual-frequency to work with any car, but they could be single frequency and be the wrong one. Or the car is something special and the aftermarket ones don’t know that frequency.

Most tire places don’t stock vehicle specific TPMS sensors so I’d think the relearn might just be what’s going on.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
I googled TPMS relearn tool and got a lot of hits...

I didn't even know that was a thing.

I'm so genius I put new wheels on my truck and gave away my old wheels and tires. The sensors are gone. Now the tire pressure sensor is always on. Doh! TPMS Replacements are expensive! And there's no way to delete the issue.

Joker

Reaction score
GM has a Crazy azz learning program for wheel sensors. It's stupid. But it works.

It's been a LONG time since I worked for Toyota. I can't remember how that shit works.

This guy might though...

@RVRKID
Chris did the tires on the wheels but i didn’t have the truck there for him to do it.

Joker

Reaction score
If you or someone you know has a TPMS relearn tool you can just reprogram the car for the new sensors.

I have winter wheels and summer wheels and after swapping twice a year I do the relearn just to get the TPMS happy.

Check Amazon, they are pretty cheap to buy, but be aware they could be vehicle specific, or the vehicle needs some kind of other tool to get it into the relearn mode (some vehicles need a OBD tool to put the car into that mode).
👍🏻 just bought the tool. I’m surprised the tire shops wanted to remove the tires to get the serial numbers off the sensors .

FreeBird236

Reaction score
I have a reset button under the dash, (07) but I believe that is for after a rotation, manual says contact Toyota to register ID #'s. Discount Tire must also have this capability because that's where my sensors were changed.

Last edited:

RadMan

Throbbing Member
Reaction score
Have you called one of the big tire stores like Discount or NTB? I know when I get all new tires they have to calibrate the sensor positions cause they don’t need to put them back where they were before. But maybe that’s different and after the fact that your sensors just don’t communicate with the car.

Who sold and installed you the new ones, should be their problem.

Maybe worst case, go to the big boys or the dealer and get new ones again that they say they can program.

I’d like to know the answers as I have a Cadillac that needs a new sensor.

Joker

Reaction score
Have you called one of the big tire stores like Discount or NTB? I know when I get all new tires they have to calibrate the sensor positions cause they don’t need to put them back where they were before. But maybe that’s different and after the fact that your sensors just don’t communicate with the car.

Who sold and installed you the new ones, should be their problem.

Maybe worst case, go to the big boys or the dealer and get new ones again that they say they can program.

I’d like to know the answers as I have a Cadillac that needs a new sensor.
I bought the gmc from a private party new takeoffs. My service guy acted like he never heard of this before.
The only other option was to drive around with the stock ones in the bed and the light would go off

Taboma

Reaction score
When I swapped wheels and tires on my '12 Camaro, I bought the tire/wheels from a accessory shop, with new sensors, then mounted them at home. I'd read it would require a Relearning tools, so bought the specific one on Amazon. The instructions weren't bad, just had to follow a very specific order and process, to the letter. Car would beep or honk (I forget which) to signal confirmed, then you'd move to the next, and next ect. I'll probably never use that reprogrammer again, but it was fairly cheap.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
I bought the gmc from a private party new takeoffs. My service guy acted like he never heard of this before.
The only other option was to drive around with the stock ones in the bed and the light would go off
What year is your GMC?

On mine, you scroll through the vehicle dashboard status menus until you get to the tire pressure menu. Push and hold the check mark on the steering wheel to get it into the learn mode. It will honk once letting you know.

Once in it, follow the correct order going around from tire to tire with the relearn tool. Put the tool right on the sidewall where the valve stem is. Vehicle will honk for each tire it relearns, then when you get to the last tire it should like honk twice to let you know it’s done.

You may or may not need to drive around for like 10 minutes to get the sensors to report into the dash if they are showing no data.

It’s pretty easy. I bought my tires at Americas tire and they did this for me until I bought the tool to do it myself.

Joker

Reaction score
What year is your GMC?

On mine, you scroll through the vehicle dashboard status menus until you get to the tire pressure menu. Push and hold the check mark on the steering wheel to get it into the learn mode. It will honk once letting you know.

Once in it, follow the correct order going around from tire to tire with the relearn tool. Put the tool right on the sidewall where the valve stem is. Vehicle will honk for each tire it relearns, then when you get to the last tire it should like honk twice to let you know it’s done.

You may or may not need to drive around for like 10 minutes to get the sensors to report into the dash if they are showing no data.

It’s pretty easy. I bought my tires at Americas tire and they did this for me until I bought the tool to do it myself.
It’s a 21. I found the button to hit last week and the horn did honk but assumed it would do it automatically. I’ll have the tool by Wednesday

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
its sadly cheaper to take the old ones out of your original wheels and put them in your new wheels. most tpms OEM are pretty expensive. a decent paisa tire shop will usually do it for like 20-40 bucks... whereas an american tire, etc will want $20 a wheel for a remount and balance.

Bajastu

Reaction score
I have the tool to read the S/N, program, test battery life. It was better to buy the tool than to have a shop program them. The shop wanted $180 to program, the tool was $210.00 . I bought new rims, tires, and new sensors. I had them programed in 10 mins. I purchased the tool from Tire Rack.
Screenshot 2023-02-06 104720.png

f12517

Reaction score
Thoughts?
Year, make and model of both vehicles would help in order to give an accurate answer.

But, here we go anyhow. OEM TPMS sensors are already programmed to the vehicle, and its usually easiest to transfer them to the new wheels. Some vehicles require relearning the positions (GM for example) by putting the vehicle in a learn mode and then triggering each sensor. Ford works this way as well. Some vehicles, like MOPAR, just go drive it and they relearn. Some vehicles, like Toyota require using a TPMS tool to scan the sensors to get serial numbers and then connecting to the vehicle through the OBD-II port to relearn the TPMS system. Remember, this is if we are using OE sensors.

The second type of sensor is an aftermarket sensor that is already programmed for the year, make and model of vehicle. But you still have to make the vehicle recognize the new sensors. See above for the most part. Very rarely will you be able to bolt on a set of aftermarket wheels with new sensors and have the vehicle automatically relearn the new sensors. MOPAR might because they auto learn. GM, Ford, Toyota, Nissan....nope. Gonna have to do a relearn. Keep in mind I'm just highlighting some brands, this is not meant to be a complete tech guide for all things TPMS.

The third type of sensor are what are known as universal, programmable sensors. These are dumb sensors. You have to tell it the year, make, model of vehicle that the sensors will be used in. This is typically done before they are installed in the wheels. If this doesn't happen ahead of time, most shops can't help you without taking things apart because you need to know what brand and model of universal sensor that was installed in the wheels. Once the sensor is programmed to the vehicle information, then the vehicle has to relearned to look for the new sensors. In the case of a Chevy or Ford, put it in learn mode and trigger the sensors. In the case of Toyota, you have to scan the sensors, then upload the data though the OBD-II port.

My guess is that you have aftermarket, programmable sensors that probably aren't programmed with the vehicle information. So this will require breaking the beads down to get sensor info, program them then train them to the vehicle. If the company who sold you the wheels knew your vehicle information and programmed the sensors with the vehicle information, it may be as simple and doing a TPMS relearn which depending on your vehicle may be simple or a bit more challenging.

These systems are the bane of my existence....

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Didn't read any replies . . . I just know for my old Tundra they are notorious for failure.
Aftermarket ones are worse.
Often times it's the spare tire.
Not worth it to Me to buy a set of factory $en$or$.
To chase down the wire that disconnects the dash light is way too much hassle.
Black electrical tape over the light for Me. 👌

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
There are only 2 frequency of sensors, 315 and 433, most Euro are 433 and most import/dom are the 315.

You can buy multi frequency sensors online (Autel) for like 25 bucks a piece. You will need to use a tool to program them to the vehicle on a few PITA lines like Toyota, most of them will auto learn if it has a button, or later models allow you to set it at will through the media/vehicle settings controls. All vehicles TELL YOU how to do your particular vehicle in the OWNERS MANUAL.

You do NOT need the factory shit from the dealer, no matter what they tell you. Tire stores are not necessarily truthful or forthcoming about it.

Many don't even know how to do it correctly hilariously enough, they will tell you they can't do it, and you have to go to the dealer...lolz.

Ever hear the term RTFM? It means READ THE FUCKING MANUAL.....😆

Note: sensors are only good for about a decade, if yours are around that age or older, expect problems soon...if one dies, bite the bullet and replace them all.

Hidden Note: Many times the one that is missing signal or dead is the spare....some have them in the spare....YMMV.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Just for the FYI but I had my Yukon at the dealer once and they did a tire rotation but did NOT do the TPMS relearn. When I asked why they stated “they couldn’t because it was not the factory wheels”. Wow, what difference does that make, it’s the TPMS sensor not the wheel that matters.

So some dealers are dumb, too.

Took it to Americas Tire for the free pressure check, which I didn’t need, but they did the relearn for me on the spot, no appt needed.

Now I have the tool to do it myself.

For my Yukon, there is no TPMS in the spare. You’ll get the stupid tire pressure light if you run the spare but it’s temporary until you swap the real wheel and tire back in. I’ve not seen a TPMS in the spare in GM vehicles.

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
Same as a above I had to do the relearn on the wife's Suburban, but the Jeep didn't need any relearn at all? It just picked up the new sensors :)

brianwhiteboy

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
I have aftermarket wheels and sensors on my Silverado 2500 and have never had an issue with them being picked up by the truck but I can’t get them to start the relearn process with budget TPMS tools. I think it has something to do with the position of the valve stem, usually being located towards the center of the wheel and too far away from the side wall. I’ve tried several cheap ones with no luck. Even the guy at 4-wheel Parts with his Snap-On dealio couldn’t do it. At that time, I was running 35” on 18x9 Fuel wheels where the valve stem truly was in the center of the wheel.

Now I run 37” BFGs on 17x8.5” Methods and the stem is closer to the outside compared to the Fuels. America’s tire has a tool that will do it (Bartec) and the Chevy dealer has another older tool that could do it (Kent Moore tools), but it’s lame to go there for just that when you’re not throwing them any other business.

Since I rotate the tires on all of our vehicles I’ve contemplated buying one that I know can do it, but the price is what stops me ($500-$700). After the first relearn at the trie shop I can always rotate the tires and the biggest thing is they won’t show the correct position on the vehicle, but at least they show the pressures.

Is anyone using a higher end TPMS tool that they’d recommend?

Bajastu

Reaction score
I have the tool to read the S/N, program, test battery life. It was better to buy the tool than to have a shop program them. The shop wanted $180 to program, the tool was $210.00 . I bought new rims, tires, and new sensors. I had them programed in 10 mins. I purchased the tool from Tire Rack.
View attachment 1196678
I have aftermarket wheels and sensors on my Silverado 2500 and have never had an issue with them being picked up by the truck but I can’t get them to start the relearn process with budget TPMS tools. I think it has something to do with the position of the valve stem, usually being located towards the center of the wheel and too far away from the side wall. I’ve tried several cheap ones with no luck. Even the guy at 4-wheel Parts with his Snap-On dealio couldn’t do it. At that time, I was running 35” on 18x9 Fuel wheels where the valve stem truly was in the center of the wheel.

Now I run 37” BFGs on 17x8.5” Methods and the stem is closer to the outside compared to the Fuels. America’s tire has a tool that will do it (Bartec) and the Chevy dealer has another older tool that could do it (Kent Moore tools), but it’s lame to go there for just that when you’re not throwing them any other business.

Since I rotate the tires on all of our vehicles I’ve contemplated buying one that I know can do it, but the price is what stops me ($500-$700). After the first relearn at the trie shop I can always rotate the tires and the biggest thing is they won’t show the correct position on the vehicle, but at least they show the pressures.

This tool had worked on over 20 cars and trucks for me. It’s like the village bicycle, all of my friends have used it. So far it hasn't failed with any rim or tire combo.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score

Are you using the tiny grey caps that came with the sensors or are you using something custom like Bowties or Dice etc?

That little cap is the antenna for the transmitter....location in the rim means nothing, as the receiver is in the BCM/TPMS module anyhow.

I would suggest trying the stock caps if you have trouble getting/dropping signals.

Less knowledgeable places that use "Nitrogen" to fill replace them with the green caps that suck.

Joker

Reaction score
Are you using the tiny grey caps that came with the sensors or are you using something custom like Bowties or Dice etc?

That little cap is the antenna for the transmitter....location in the rim means nothing, as the receiver is in the BCM/TPMS module anyhow.

I would suggest trying the stock caps if you have trouble getting/dropping signals.
The caps are part of the system?

brianwhiteboy

Professional Lurker
Reaction score

Less knowledgeable places that use "Nitrogen" to fill replace them with the green caps that suck.
Always used the black plastic caps. Maybe not the gray sensor cap but the plain ol’ rubber valve stem cap. I’ll make sure to use the TPMS sensor cap the next time hope that it yields a better result 👍

buck35

Reaction score
How on earth did we make it all this time without these infernal fokiing things!
When the light is on how do you figure which tire is alarming if all chec:mad:k out.

2Driver

Reaction score
Did you try seeing if there is a TPMS rest button hidden on you dash somewhere. My wouldn’t recalibrate and I found the reset button hit it and it reset fine.Didn’t know it was even there.

buck35

Reaction score
Did you try seeing if there is a TPMS rest button hidden on you dash somewhere. My wouldn’t recalibrate and I found the reset button hit it and it reset fine.Didn’t know it was even there.
Where at?

Joker

Reaction score
I hit the reset on the gmc and all i got was a honk.

f12517

Reaction score
I hit the reset on the gmc and all i got was a honk.
Because that puts the vehicle in learn mode. The sensors all need to be triggered after that. It'll honk as each sensor is triggered.